Philly International - The Rare & The Good

Richard

• Replies 445
  • Views 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

My copy is US but the label is a very pale green, almost silver.

The very early PIR releases circa 1972/3 were more of a metallic colour. I have a theory that it was supposed to be GOLD coloured but somehow ended up the grubby olive green we know and love.....

Social source share

Guest mel brat

RE. Kaleidoscope - We're Not Getting Any Younger - TSOP

Picked this up on a second-hand record stall 18 months ago for .50p (true!) and it was the ONLY soul record on there! :D

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

...clubs initially jumped on the stupendous "Tell The World How I Feel About 'cha Baby"...

TONE

I used to have the UK 12" and a UK demo of this side, but sold 'em both during one of my (countless) cash crises, as I also had it as an album track... :D Same thing happened with Archie Bell & The Drells - "Everybody Have A Good Time". Sold the UK 12" for a pound(!) - but managed to buy THE SAME COPY back for .50p and played it at my (infamous) 40th Birthday party!

By the way, what about the O'Jays version of "One In A Million Girl"?? (Same song as Dee Dee Bridgewater's "One In A Million Guy" on Atlantic) Very nice spin I'd have thought...

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Jean Carn "Was That All It Was"

I have a double-sided US 12" of this song, but don't know how long it is... Incidently, I've seen both WHITE label US 12" demos, as well as the 'black with silver stars' label that is like mine... Whether they are different mixes however, I can't say. I only bought it because I adore Jean Carn(e) and already had the album and UK single! (I also have a signed photo she sent me, so :thumbsup: to the rest of ya!) :D:thumbsup:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

I seem to be having a bit of trouble with uploading pics here...hopefully this one won't repeat or distort!

post-4950-1170549994_thumb.jpg

post-4950-1170550353.jpg

Er, is this how they do "COVER UP'S" nowadays then?? :D:thumbsup:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

I have a double-sided US 12" of this song, but don't know how long it is... Incidently, I've seen both WHITE label US 12" demos, as well as the 'black with silver stars' label that is like mine... Whether they are different mixes however, I can't say. I only bought it because I adore Jean Carn(e) and already had the album and UK single! (I also have a signed photo she sent me, so
:thumbsup:
to the rest of ya!)
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

:thumbsup::ohmy::lol::D
Nice one Mr brat!

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Hi Tone,

There is also "Tommy" label from around 1974 distributed by CBS. Not sure how much was put out on the label - I've only got the "Force Of Nature" LP and a single taken from the LP. All Sigma Sound/Mighty Three Music with KZ / ZS8 catalogue numbers.

And "Gamble and Huff" label from around 1987 with some iffy Lou Rawls releases....

All the Jacksons PIR releases on Epic also have the PIR 'double P' logo on them, so can legitimately be classed as PIR releases.

Well in that case, allow me to mention another fantastic Philly recording that deserves the attention of all of you out there, and has been lodged firmly in my conciousness for almost 30 years...!

Behold! it's none other than The Jacksons' "Style Of Life" (UK EPIC B-side, 1977) - (and I won't hear a word said against it!)

I think that Michael Jackson sings superbly on what is a really a very tricky musical arrangement, full of key changes and complex lyrical acrobatics. He deserves real credit for the way he manouvers his way effortlessly through this song. And it's a superb Philly dance record too!

By the way, I wonder if Neil Rushton remembers giving me a UK 12" demo of this for nothing, when I BEGGED him to sell it to me? Thanks Neil! - I'm still playing it!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

I've always been a bit weird about collecting 'demos'. Iit smacks a bit of 'I've got this on a demo which makes me part of a very special group of people because only special people like DJ's and radio stations got them'. :thumbsup:

Demos generally aren't very colourful are they and look a bit dull especially if you have loads and loads of them !

I wonder if they'll be a collectors interest in demo mp.3's in ten years time? :D

I think it's the fact US PIR/TSOP demos (and COLUMBIA/EPIC etc.) were (generally) pressed on vinyl, rather than styrene in the 70s, and that's the attraction - plus if you could get 'em dirt cheap, and you really liked the record, why not have both?

Have had this discussion before somewhere... :thumbsup:

Social source share

I have a double-sided US 12" of this song, but don't know how long it is... Incidently, I've seen both WHITE label US 12" demos, as well as the 'black with silver stars' label that is like mine... Whether they are different mixes however, I can't say. I only bought it because I adore Jean Carn(e) and already had the album and UK single! (I also have a signed photo she sent me, so :thumbsup: to the rest of ya!) :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Love Jean Carn..... what a voice! sooooo underrated to me. Think we need some Jean tunes up! :D

I'll kick off with "Free Love".... been playin this a bit ov late!

steve

Social source share

I think it's the fact US PIR/TSOP demos (and COLUMBIA/EPIC etc.) were (generally) pressed on vinyl, rather than styrene in the 70s, and that's the attraction - plus if you could get 'em dirt cheap, and you really liked the record, why not have both?

Have had this discussion before somewhere... :D

Only thing bout the demos with me is like most 70's Demos ya only get the one side!... and sometimes miss out on a blinding 'B' side... that's why I'd much rather have an issue if I can, tho sometimes ya pick up what ya can.

steve

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Talking of instrumentals do you know if "Strange" by Tradewinds (Triumph records) is Philly?...

Cheers Paul

Yes pretty certain it is. Tradewinds are reputed to be an early incarnation of MFSB with the Three Degrees singing the "Strange, Strange, Strange" chants towards the end!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Only thing bout the demos with me is like most 70's Demos ya only get the one side!... and sometimes miss out on a blinding 'B' side... that's why I'd much rather have an issue if I can, tho sometimes ya pick up what ya can.

steve

Oh I quite agree on that point. The B-side to the Carolyn Crawford record "Just Got To Be More Careful" is a superb wailer of a ballad that you wouldn't want to miss on purpose! However, you've just got to get what you can these days, sadly... I only have a demo of "It Takes Two To Make One" to this day, (and I've had three copies!) - but have never owned an issue! Back in the day though, if you already had the album anyway (say, in the case of Dee Dee Sharp) having a single sided demo of "Happy 'Bout The Whole Thing" didn't matter too much, and was considered quite a prize!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Cant get enough Jean Carn tracks if you ask me.

How about "Time Waits For No one"?

Cheers Paul

What about the whole "Jean Carn" album! ha ha! :D:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

The very early PIR releases circa 1972/3 were more of a metallic colour. I have a theory that it was supposed to be GOLD coloured but somehow ended up the grubby olive green we know and love.....

I wonder if you could be right on that? It's very possible. (Remember, the revamped Gamble label was silver, as I think was Thom Bell's 'Tommy' label) Perhaps the printing technology then used just wasn't reliable...?

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

The strange world of Philly soul eh Mr brat?
:thumbsup:

Are you still awake!!?? I thought I was talking to myself as usual... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

p.s. You can call me "Mel" :D:thumbsup:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Got this as a freebie with a Philly Int LP years ago, but cant for the life of me remember which one??? was it Lets Clean Up the Ghetto?? anyone know?

steve

The clue is on the lable...it was given away free with the four albums that each track was lifted from.....came in a pic sleeve with a pic of each of the four albums

Ian

Social source share

Guest mel brat

There is also "Tommy" label from around 1974 distributed by CBS. Not sure how much was put out on the label - I've only got the "Force Of Nature" LP and a single taken from the LP...

The US Tommy label was Thom Bell's venture into label ownership. Legendary in my house for the magnificent Bobby Taylor version of "I Can't Quit Your Love" (also recorded by the Four Tops (Motown) and Buck (Playboy), and released in the UK on EPIC. It also made an appearance on the first "Phillybusters" compilation in 1973. Curiously, the dramatic instrumental backing track came out seperately on PIR (US only) credited to BT & TB (Bobby Taylor & Thom Bell), however, without Bobby Taylor's dynamite vocal contribution it just sounds ordinary to me. (I HAVE been thinking of segueing the two together on tape however, in order to make an "extended remix" of the Bobby Taylor record for my own "extended enjoyment"!)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

If you rate Dexter Wansel (and who doesn't?), a special mention to "Hurry Up This Way Again" by the Stylistics on TSOP (yes I know.. but it's great!)

Social source share

malc..

jean carne again..

if you wanna go back..

bless

jc

the messiah of northern soul

My Dear Messiah ....

Come to think of it , anything by Jean Carn .....

Thank you for your blessing yesterday .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Oh I quite agree on that point. The B-side to the Carolyn Crawford record "Just Got To Be More Careful" is a superb wailer of a ballad that you wouldn't want to miss on purpose! However, you've just got to get what you can these days, sadly... I only have a demo of "It Takes Two To Make One" to this day, (and I've had three copies!) - but have never owned an issue! Back in the day though, if you already had the album anyway (say, in the case of Dee Dee Sharp) having a single sided demo of "Happy 'Bout The Whole Thing" didn't matter too much, and was considered quite a prize!

This is such a giant of a thread I'm having trouble keeping up.

I've just found my copy of CCs "It takes two to make one" the other side is, despite it's title, "No matter how bad things are, I still still love you" is a killer ballad. Although an issue it is stamped "Demonstration copy not for sale".

Just need to find my copy "just got to be more careful" to check out the other side.

So much great stuff mentioned and unfortunately I can't scan anything as I've got some of the Euro picture sleeves somewhere.

A few favourites are

Dexter Wansel "Life on Mars"

Bobby Rush "I wanna do the do" - great funk blues disco thing.

Bunny Sigler "I lied" uptempo Northern potential but probably too fast these days.

Teddy Pendegrass "Somebody told me" all time classic

For a stepper I can recommend McFadden and Whiteheads "I've been pushed aside". B side of something I can't remember and can't find at the moment. Used to play this out quite a lot.

For a bit of fun the Three Degrees "I like being a Woman" other side of "Get your love back". Ony reason is that they performed this live on the "Wheel Tappers and Shunters Social Club" just before the stripper.

Got say some Billy Paul's "The whole town's talking" sounds great, thanks Ockers.

Regards Alan

Social source share

simon..

ye gods sir,how observent of you..

ive cheated in this one though as my baby loves me is on motown..

8=)

bless

jc

the messiah of northern soul

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert