• Replies 445
  • Views 30.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

simon..

we are both correct my dear boy..

my copy of the album is on uk motown..

with the jones girls and high inergy on backing vocals..

from 1982..

ye gods 25 years..doesn't time fly..

8=)

bless

jc

the messiah of northern soul

Social source share

The clue is on the lable...it was given away free with the four albums that each track was lifted from.....came in a pic sleeve with a pic of each of the four albums

Ian

Thanx Ian... guess I got it with Family Reunion, or Wake Up Everybody.... mind still dont know for sure, as i only ever got one copy :ohmy::huh:

steve

Social source share

Lonely Girl In A Cold Cold World - jean carn - pir

14345"]

Refosoul Rare and Northern Soul Clip library

My fav Jean Carn of all time.... does anybody kno if it came out on a 7" (anywhere)

steve

Not in the US according to her discography in "In The Basement"no 27.

I'm sure Simon will let us know if it got a UK release

Nice track which I'd completely forgotten about (shame on me) thanks for posting it up Steve

Cheers Paul

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

Guest sydney bridge

I was talking to Ralph about this thread and his box set the other night. He gave me lots of interesting little bits of info which I have promptly forgotton.

One bit of trivia that fascinates me personally - The UK Streetwave 12" reissue of Jean Carn(e)s "Was That All It Was" (one of three records to be played at my funeral) has the timing the same as the original 12" issue but in fact is appx a minute and a half longer. Which is just fine by me.

always said i,d have this at my funeral as well simon,shall we book the crematorium together?
Social source share

We Got Some Catching Up To Do - jean carn - tsop

14347 refosoul

From the stupendous "Sweet & Wonderful" LP from 1980. Her best work IMHO

Edited by Niki
Social source share

We Got Some Catching Up To Do - jean carn - tsop

14347"]

From the stupendous "Sweet & Wonderful" LP from 1980. Her best work IMHO

Yes and wasn't her live version of "Sweet And Wonderful" with the late great Nathan Heathman singing Glen Jones's part the business during her last tours?

Cheers Paul

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

always said i,d have this at my funeral as well simon,shall we book the crematorium together?

Hmm, not planning on going yet though but if we can agree on a date, great.We'll have to discuss the other songs. I'm having Little Richards 'Lucille' and 'Wheels Cha Cha' by The Joe Loss Orchestra and to quote Hylda Baker, I am unanimous in this. Oh and I must get a little hand put on this watch.

Social source share

Well, as TOTT consisted of just (Gene) McFadden and (John) Whitehead, you'd really have to say "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now", wouldn't you :yes:

I used to play "Little Bit Of Your Lovin'" out in the early 70s, at a predominently gay club I used to DJ at, Le Duce in Soho's D'Arblay Street (as did the other DJ there, my pal Brian Peters). Always went over well with the mixed crowd at the weekends. Still sounds good now, too...

TONE

Great track Tone :thumbsup:

Piccie of it can be found here

https://www.soulmusic.co.uk/More_In_Stock.htm

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Happily, this is being played out a bit at the moment. I spun it at MonuMENTAL last summer, I've also heard it at Lightwater recently and either Steve Connor or Flanny played it at the Orwell last week. I'm sure that others are giving it spins, too, as the plethora of copies that used to throng GEMM have all but disappeared in recent times.

Well overdue recognition for a terrific record, I'd say...

TONE

Twas young Flanny............sounded well tasty :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Can I point you to my webpage

/vgroups/GreatV...roups'.html

links there to Philly Groups

O'Jays

Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes

Intruders

Futures

&

Ebonys

Regards

Barry :thumbsup:

Think it's a bit unfair of you to single out just Eddie Levert as the great lead voice of the O'Jays. Walt Williams took almost as many leads as Eddie and many of us (well, me for a start) hold him in equal regard.

Walt often took the verses - as in "Use Ta Be My Girl" - wth Eddie coming in on the chorus or bridge. I'm sure that you don't, but I bet there are a lot of people out there who don't realise that many killer O'Jays tracks boast twin lead vocals...

...It should go without saying, however, that Eddie Levert is one of the greatest singers of all time, any genre...

TONE

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Yes and wasn't her live version of "Sweet And Wonderful" with the late great Nathan Heathman singing Glen Jones's part the business during her last tours?

Cheers Paul

Great indeed Paul. Nathan's death was such a shock.

Social source share

Found a copy of Yellow Sunshine's "Yellow Sunshine" on GAMBLE today here in my hometown. Had forgotten how much i like that track. A slightly strange rock/funk hybrid and I'm sure not everyones cup of tea... :rolleyes: But some fantastic bongo breaks in there! :thumbsup:

I like a bit of bongo now and then, any chance of a sound clip??

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Found a copy of Yellow Sunshine's "Yellow Sunshine" on GAMBLE today here in my hometown. Had forgotten how much i like that track. A slightly strange rock/funk hybrid and I'm sure not everyones cup of tea... :rolleyes: But some fantastic bongo breaks in there! :thumbsup:

Didn't (the great) Dexter Wansel have something to do with this group? - or am I getting confused...? :unsure:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Yes Mr Wansel was a member of Yellow Sunshine Mr er ........I mean Mel
:thumbsup:

Cheers Paul

Thanks. Wasn't there also a group called Que Sunrise or something?? :rolleyes: Always get those mixed up... (duh...my brain hurts...)

By the way, have you got the Lonnie Liston Smith LP/CD from 1990 with Jean Carn(e) and the late Phyllis Hyman as guest vocalists? "Star Flower" and "Heaven" are the J.C. tracks. Fabulous! She also guested on a Stanley Turrentine(?) CD, sometime in the early 90's I think, but I don't have it. Interestingly, Dexter Wansel reappeared briefly under the name of UNIVERSE also at around that time (apparently he's obsessed with space watching!). I have played both "Life On Mars" and the "Jean Carn" albums CONSTANTLY since late 1976, and am currently on my 2rd and 3nd copies respectively - besides owning 'em both on CD!

Fave Jean Carn track probably "You Are All I Need". Love those chord changes - and her vocals weaving in and out with the saxophone and heavenly choir backing just takes me to another place entirely (I'm listening to it right now!) Perfect fusion of Soul, Jazz and Philly. Copies of both recordings should be sealed in a time capsule, so that future generations can swoon over them also! (Thanks Dexter!)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Are any of you wondering if those morons at Sony have stumbled on to this website and this thread and realise what a veritable f-kcing goldmine they have sitting right under their noses ?

I mean, how many years did it take the execs at Motown (US, not the UK rights holders) to cotton on to the fact that there was a huge hunger all around the world for the rare and not so obvious tunes ?

I take it Sony have the rights to all the PIR and related labels, yes ?

Or do Gamble & Huff own the stuff ?

Social source share

Are any of you wondering if those morons at Sony have stumbled on to this website and this thread and realise what a veritable f-kcing goldmine they have sitting right under their noses ?

I mean, how many years did it take the execs at Motown (US, not the UK rights holders) to cotton on to the fact that there was a huge hunger all around the world for the rare and not so obvious tunes ?

:huh: just imagine whats sitting there on tapes in the vaults :thumbsup:

Social source share

Apparently there's lots in the Sigma vaults...Tony Rounce has already mentioned it here, Ralph Tee at Expansion has told me about it too. But it seems G & H aren't really interested in releasing it. And it's not just a matter of just releasing something anyway. A lot of time and money goes into any release, plus all the unseen difficulties and getting a return...and not that's not profit, just return...is more and more difficult. Some people seems to think it all runs on air....

Believe it or not, the demand for this kind of thing is not actually that huge, even worldwide. I was told a story recently about an ex Brit who's a regular on these forums (not in this thread so far) and who bitches on and on elsewhere quite aggressively about how Universal are this and that (actually he bitches about a few things from afar apparently !) for not releasing more on Motown. It just shows a complete lack of understanding of the way it really is.

Yes record companies act in what seems like an odd way, but if something doesn't get released for years and years there's usually a reason. And now record shops are closing on an almost daily basis, CD's can be bought at huge discounts and can be copied in a second.

All that having been said, there are a lot of great Philly and Motown compilations and reissues out there, some with very obscure stuff. And all the fantastic hard work of the Tony Rounces, Ralph Tees, and Ady Croasdells of this world often goes unrecognised.

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

Believe it or not, the demand for this kind of thing is not actually that huge, even worldwide. I was told a story recently about an ex Brit who's a regular on these forums (not in this thread so far) and who bitches on and on elsewhere quite aggressively about how Universal are this and that (actually he bitches about a few things from afar apparently !) for not releasing more on Motown. It just shows a complete lack of understanding of the way it really is.

Those "Complete Motown Singles" CD box-sets which includes the a-sides and b-sides of ALL singles on the related labels plus differing local/national mixes and which will run up to 1972 or 1973 are quite OK with me as far as Motown releasing stuff. Sure, there's unissued stuff in the vaults, but it would be nice to just have everything that WAS released available in some format. This goes a long way in my opinion. By the way, these boxes can now be ordered from https://www.amazon.co.uk at absolute bargain prices, all of them are worth picking up: :thumbsup:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st/202-54...p;x=14&y=13

Social source share

Well if they're just sitting around I'd quite happily take a few acetates or master tapes off their hands :thumbsup::huh:

And yes a massive hooray for the Tonys/Adys and Ralphs of the world, I don't know how they have the patience cos they must have to wade through a fair proportion of bad uns to turn up these nuggets that they consistently do

Social source share

Thanks. Wasn't there also a group called Que Sunrise or something??
:thumbsup:
Always get those mixed up... (duh...my brain hurts...)

By the way, have you got the Lonnie Liston Smith LP/CD from 1990 with Jean Carn(e) and the late Phyllis Hyman as guest vocalists? "Star Flower" and "Heaven" are the J.C. tracks. Fabulous! She also guested on a Stanley Turrentine(?) CD, sometime in the early 90's I think, but I don't have it. Interestingly, Dexter Wansel reappeared briefly under the name of UNIVERSE also at around that time (apparently he's obsessed with space watching!). I have played both "Life On Mars" and the "Jean Carn" albums CONSTANTLY since late 1976, and am currently on my 2rd and 3nd copies respectively - besides owning 'em both on CD!

Fave Jean Carn track probably "You Are All I Need". Love those chord changes - and her vocals weaving in and out with the saxophone and heavenly choir backing just takes me to another place entirely (I'm listening to it right now!) Perfect fusion of Soul, Jazz and Philly. Copies of both recordings should be sealed in a time capsule, so that future generations can swoon over them also! (Thanks Dexter!)

Yes Mel got that Lonnie Liston LP and quite a few others by Mr Smith.

The Stanley Turrentine LP is called "La Place" (Blue Note 1989) Jean Carne features on a track called "Night Breeze".

She also sings on a Universe track "Love Is Beautiful (When Its Right).

Theres an excellant compilation LP/CD on Expansion from a few years ago called "Collaborations" which is just that, Jean Carne collaborations!

Shes also featured on Juewett Bostick CD from 2002 (Its Not So Easy) and a Jazz Crusaders CD (Soul Axess) from 2004.

Dexter Wansel brought a CD out a couple of years ago "Digital Groove World" I think you can listen to tracks still at cdbaby.com.

The ''Life On Mars "LP oh yes!,,,,,I'm partiularly partial to :Rings Of Saturn"

That Jean Carn is a classic LP too her first for Philly Int after her jazz LPs with ex husband Doug (Infant Eyes and Revelation on Back Jazz records).

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Guest mel brat

The Stanley Turrentine LP is called "La Place" (Blue Note 1989) Jean Carne features on a track called "Night Breeze".

Theres an excellant compilation LP/CD on Expansion from a few years ago called "Collaborations" which is just that, Jean Carne collaborations!

Shes also featured on Juewett Bostick CD from 2002 (Its Not So Easy) and a Jazz Crusaders CD (Soul Axess) from 2004.

Dexter Wansel brought a CD out a couple of years ago "Digital Groove World" I think you can listen to tracks still at cdbaby.com.

That Jean Carn is a classic LP too her first for Philly Int after her jazz LPs with ex husband Doug (Infant Eyes and Revelation on Back Jazz records).

Cheers Paul

...Blimey! - you DO like her don'cha?! :thumbsup::yes: Thanks

Social source share

Cheers Paul

Quite right. "You're A Part Of Me" LP from 1988 is also excellent.

Social source share

Quite right. "You're A Part Of Me" LP from 1988 is also excellent.

Forgot to mention her excellent work with the great Norman Conners

"'Mother Of The Future"'

"'Valentine Love" and my personal favourite ''Dindi"'

Cheers Paul

PS Mel do you have the MFSB LP "'Mysteries Of The World"'? Written produced and arranged for the most part by our man Dexter Wansel. If you like "'Life On Mars"' you should try this.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert