Richard

• Replies 445
  • Views 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

One to avoid....Lenny Pakula "Mr Record Compamy Man/Don't Let It Get You Down"

Can anyone confirm that Harold Melvins 'Don't Leave Me This Way' wasn't released on a 45 in the US until after Thelma Houstons version was a hit ?

Si,

I have a feeling that it wasn't released on a single in the USA at all, unless it came out much later on an oldies-back-to-back 45, or something.

I seem to remember that one of the main reasons that Thelma even cut DLMTW in the first place was that there was huge airplay and club demand for HM and the B's version, but no vinyl (other than the LP) to go with it. I think that PIR passed on issuing it on 45 over there because the clubs initially jumped on the stupendous "Tell The World How I Feel About 'cha Baby", and by the time that had run its course, Teddy P had quit the group to go solo.

TONE

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Si,

I have a feeling that it wasn't released on a single in the USA at all, unless it came out much later on an oldies-back-to-back 45, or something.

I seem to remember that one of the main reasons that Thelma even cut DLMTW in the first place was that there was huge airplay and club demand for HM and the B's version, but no vinyl (other than the LP) to go with it. I think that PIR passed on issuing it on 45 over there because the clubs initially jumped on the stupendous "Tell The World How I Feel About 'cha Baby", and by the time that had run its course, Teddy P had quit the group to go solo.

TONE

Brilliant stuff Tone. it's pretty incredible that the US didn't release it at the time...I have a feeling it might be appearing in a 'manifesto' magazine some time in the very near future then !

Social source share

Hi all,

One thats been missed off but seems to go for money is the 12 of Love You Direct but the O Jays - 1984 12. Have seen this for 50GBP, presumably because of interest from boogie collectors and I guess Philly sides weren't pressed in any real quantity come the 80s. A great side IMHO though.

A really great thread and good to see such interest in renewing the Philly Sound.

Cheers

Steve.

Social source share

Mention of The O'Jays reminded me of a UK 12" of 'Put Our Heads Together' with a remix of either 'Love Train' or 'I Love Music'..I'll have to check.

(just realised I've repeated a few that were previously mentioned..sorry 'bout that!)

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

Guest phillybuster

"Never Repay Your Love" was originally recorded by The Detroit Spinners I believe, and Phillipe Wynne takes some beating I don't mind telling ya!

:thumbsup:

The finest Spinners track of all time,just edging "Love Don't Love Nobody".

Social source share

What about male vocal group Talk Of The Town - what was their finest moment(s)?

Backing Arthur Conley!

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

What about male vocal group Talk Of The Town - what was their finest moment(s)?

Well, as TOTT consisted of just (Gene) McFadden and (John) Whitehead, you'd really have to say "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now", wouldn't you wicked.gif

I used to play "Little Bit Of Your Lovin'" out in the early 70s, at a predominently gay club I used to DJ at, Le Duce in Soho's D'Arblay Street (as did the other DJ there, my pal Brian Peters). Always went over well with the mixed crowd at the weekends. Still sounds good now, too...

TONE

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Well, as TOTT consisted of just (Gene) McFadden and (John) Whitehead, you'd really have to say "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now", wouldn't you
:thumbsup:

I used to play "Little Bit Of Your Lovin'" out in the early 70s, at a predominently gay club I used to DJ at, Le Duce in Soho's D'Arblay Street (as did the other DJ there, my pal Brian Peters). Always went over well with the mixed crowd at the weekends. Still sounds good now, too...

TONE

Yep nice record TONE

I have a pale blue label and a "normal" North Bay label design.

Any Ideas?

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Well, as TOTT consisted of just (Gene) McFadden and (John) Whitehead, you'd really have to say "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now", wouldn't you :thumbsup:

Yes, by then the group had gone from being a trio (Epsilons) to a duo (Talk Of The Town) and then they stopped hiding behind group names and just became "themselves". :D

Bunny Sigler was covering things up for a while. He recorded as a solo artist using alter egos. For contractual reasons or just for fun?

/Melismo

Social source share

Have just on spoted a 12" of Anthony White - Stop & Think It Over with Teddy Pendergrass - The More I Get The More I Want on the flip which they advertised as on PIR.

No doubt this must be some sort of reissue, is this dead easy to get? I say that as I can't seem to get much info on it anywhere. I thought Stop & Think It Over was LP only??

Anyhow it was a tenner so thought may as well pick it up :shades:

Edited by richard
Social source share

Been very busy this week so only just seen this thread. Don't think any of these have been mentioned before, not rare, just personal favs of mine.

"You Know How To Love Me" & "Where Are All My Friends" Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes / " Do You Get Enough Love" Shirley Jones / "The Sweetest Pain" & " Life On Mars" Dexter Wansell / "Don't Let It Go To Your Head" Jean Carne / "Ain't Got Time For Nothin" The Futures.

Great thread and very interesting reading.

There was also a 14 Lp box set that came out on Street Sounds about 20 or so years ago and if my memory serves me right, I think Ralph Tee had something to do with it.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Yep nice record TONE

I have a pale blue label and a "normal" North Bay label design.

Any Ideas?

Cheers Paul

The 'normal' ones were what appeared in the shops here at the time. I think that the pale blue ones were the first pressings, though, as I have "Family Affair" by The Family (i.e. MFSB) on a blue North Bay, which is an earlier release and which, I think, might only have appeared on the blue label. I certainly don't recall seeing a multicoloured one, anyway...

TONE

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Yes, dunno if it's any good, sounded ok to me, but anything past 1970 is a bit of a struggle for me...I have got the record, hence the upload

Happily, this is being played out a bit at the moment. I spun it at MonuMENTAL last summer, I've also heard it at Lightwater recently and either Steve Connor or Flanny played it at the Orwell last week. I'm sure that others are giving it spins, too, as the plethora of copies that used to throng GEMM have all but disappeared in recent times.

Well overdue recognition for a terrific record, I'd say...

TONE

Social source share

Have just on spoted a 12" of Anthony White - Stop & Think It Over with Teddy Pendergrass - The More I Get The More I Want on the flip which they advertised as on PIR.

No doubt this must be some sort of reissue, is this dead easy to get? I say that as I can't seem to get much info on it anywhere. I thought Stop & Think It Over was LP only??

Just noticed on gemm they have a few mint copies of this for a fiver if anyone wanted one, I cancelled the VG+ tenner one and replaced it with a mint fiver one. They're on sale from soul brother records and just appeared there overnight

Edited by richard
Social source share

Allo Richard - One of a series of 10 or 12 ?? PIR reissue 12s brought out a few years back, thru Passion Music / Ralph Tee. You should still be able to pick up most quite cheaply. And just spotted you did :wicked:

Cheers Girf

Edited by Girthdevon
Social source share

Been very busy this week so only just seen this thread. Don't think any of these have been mentioned before, not rare, just personal favs of mine.

"You Know How To Love Me" & "Where Are All My Friends" Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes / " Do You Get Enough Love" Shirley Jones / "The Sweetest Pain" & " Life On Mars" Dexter Wansell / "Don't Let It Go To Your Head" Jean Carne / "Ain't Got Time For Nothin" The Futures.

Great thread and very interesting reading.

There was also a 14 Lp box set that came out on Street Sounds about 20 or so years ago and if my memory serves me right, I think Ralph Tee had something to do with it.

I was talking to Ralph about this thread and his box set the other night. He gave me lots of interesting little bits of info which I have promptly forgotton.

One bit of trivia that fascinates me personally - The UK Streetwave 12" reissue of Jean Carn(e)s "Was That All It Was" (one of three records to be played at my funeral) has the timing the same as the original 12" issue but in fact is appx a minute and a half longer. Which is just fine by me.

Social source share

Indeed it did Simon, UK only. Have had a demo before and now have an issue. Will post a scan later if you want :shades: Will also post up pitched up flipside at some point but me mrs is moaning at me to go shopping at the moment so I'd better split for now :wicked:

Edited by richard
Social source share

Indeed it did Simon, UK only. Have had a demo before and now have an issue. Will post a scan later if you want :wicked: Will also post up pitched up flipside at some point but me mrs is moaning at me to go shopping at the moment so I'd better split for now :thumbsup:

Cheers Richard..I wish I'd asked you before I'd put the Portrait issue in 'Manifesto' as a "UK Only 45 !" :shades:

Social source share

Just tried to read through all the posts again but I went into a kind of coma over all the MFSB vartation posts, then the Jocko "Rythm Talk" posts :thumbsup: (a record I could never stand but kept the 12" for the instrumental 'B' side) and then got semi distracted by them fightin' talk posts.

So I still can't work out what was being said about the Carolyn Crawford 45's..I'll check the 'In The Basement' article though, and Mr Levine's name comes up yet again, and lets face it, right or wrong, Ian was never one to say nothing when he could say something, so something is what he always said !

I suspect there are lots and lots of Trammps combination 45's though across the world.

post-1354-1170506194_thumb.jpg

post-1354-1170506417_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Love Don't Rub Off - johnny williams - pir

14319 refosoul

Love This Simon,been playing the 45 for years,my copy is on Canadian Columbia..deserves a outing dont you think....anyone share this opinion..Gray

Social source share

Agreed Gray. I think it's a real grower, and written by The Fascinations too ! My copy is US but the label is a very pale green, almost silver. I have a UK Epic 45 too, but it's 'It's So Wonderful' which is the 'A' side of 'Love Don't Rub Off' with 'Put It in Motion' as the 'A' side which is more uptempo. wacko.gif:thumbsup:

Any idea who Johnny Williams is?

post-1354-1170513314_thumb.jpg

post-1354-1170513380_thumb.jpg

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

The 'normal' ones were what appeared in the shops here at the time. I think that the pale blue ones were the first pressings, though, as I have "Family Affair" by The Family (i.e. MFSB) on a blue North Bay, which is an earlier release and which, I think, might only have appeared on the blue label. I certainly don't recall seeing a multicoloured one, anyway...

TONE

Yes Tone I have The Family on pale blue never seen a multi coloured one either. Prefer the other side myself "Nation Time" written by Gamble/Huff, sonds like an embryonic "We"re on The Right Track" Ultra High Frequency in places to me. Writing credits on that one go to Norman Harris and Allen Felder tho.

Talking of instrumentals do you know if "Strange" by Tradewinds (Triumph records) is Philly? Its a Norman Harris arrangement. No address on my copy just says dist by Pip records

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Has anyone tried pitching up I Swear You're Beautiful By Archie Bell & The Drells it's the flip of Where Will You Go When The Partys Over, pitched up think it's got a bit of dancefloor potential

There you go Simon demo of WWYGWTPO, the release must have been put back a bit from 20th November 1976 as it was crossed out and 21st January 1977 was rubber stamped on

I Swear You're Beautiful By Archie Bell & The Drells is also on the LP WWYGWTPO but think this is it's only 45 outing as well :thumbsup:

post-642-1170515537_thumb.jpg

Edited by richard
Social source share

Agreed Gray. I think it's a real grower, and written by The Fascinations too ! My copy is US but the label is a very pale green, almost silver. I have a UK Epic 45 too, but it's 'It's So Wonderful' which is the 'A' side of 'Love Don't Rub Off' with 'Put It in Motion' as the 'A' side which is more uptempo.
wacko.gif:thumbsup:

Any idea who Johnny Williams is?

Hi Simon I"ve got another Johnny Williams 45 "Slow Motion" says 1973 on my Dutch (Epic) label. I'm sure I've got a US copy somewhere too.

No idea who he is doesn't sound like the "Something Kinda Mellow" (Babylon/Polydor) one to me but I may be wrong.

Could be the guy who recorded for Twinight?

Cheers Paul

Social source share

I know we've had a few posts of late about harder to get UK only issues on 45 of Archie Bell - Where Will You Go When The Partys Over and Lou Rawls - Time Will take Care Of Everything, are there any other UK only 45s (or other countries even)??

I believe this one by Lou Rawls is a UK only 45

What"s the matter with the world- Lou Rawls-UKPIR

13560 refosoul

Edited by Ringleader
Social source share

There you go Simon demo of WWYGWTPO, the release must have been put back a bit from 20th November 1976 as it was crossed out and 21st January 1977 was rubber stamped on

I Swear You're Beautiful By Archie Bell & The Drells is also on the LP WWYGWTPO but think this is it's only 45 outing as well :shades:

Richard, I'm a kind of pale pea green with envy ! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi Simon I"ve got another Johnny Williams 45 "Slow Motion" says 1973 on my Dutch (Epic) label. I'm sure I've got a US copy somewhere too.

No idea who he is doesn't sound like the "Something Kinda Mellow" (Babylon/Polydor) one to me but I may be wrong.

Could be the guy who recorded for Twinight?

Cheers Paul

I'd forgotton that one..I think I have it on a UK Epic. Babylon is more likely that Twinight I would have though just by label location ?

In the meantime, here are the Trammps again...

post-1354-1170518114.jpg

post-1354-1170520501_thumb.jpg

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

Love Don't Rub Off - johnny williams - pir

14319 refosoul

I'd like to get me one of these :D

Hmmm just ordered one :thumbsup:

Also have got a Hey Baby - Anthony White issue I'm waiting on coming through. Now just need me a Could It Be Magic LP :shades:

Would also be interested if someone had a Dee Dee Sharp - Share My Love LP for sale

Edited by richard
Social source share

You sure there?

Totally different lyrics.

Steve

You're absolutly right Mr G I apologise unreservedly just dug my copies out and given them another listen. It was the "HUH, HUH" chants that put me off in the first place so just put 'em at the back of the cupboard and didn't give them another thought untill this wonderful thread.

Must apologise to KarlM here too, hope I didn"t put you off buying one. If I did and you go back to the store and they're all sold you can have my spare copy free of charge.

Sorry guys!

Cheers Paul Woosnam

Social source share

I seem to be having a bit of trouble with uploading pics here...hopefully this one won't repeat or distort!

post-1354-1170526747_thumb.jpg

post-1354-1170526797.jpg

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert