How Can I Remove Sticky Residue From Vinyl ?

Hello everyone

Wonder if anyone can offer help on this.

I have a couple of records that were once covered up and the c/u label removed. The area between the run-outs and the labels now has a sticky residue from the little bits of tape.

It there anyway to remove this without damaging the vinyl (in one case acetate) - I should point out the play area and label area are clear of any tape residue.

Thanks in advance

Mick

https://northern-soul-records.com

Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Like Scallybob, I've always used lighter fluid and with no ill effects.

I dunno about Mr Sheen or WD40....aren't they both silcone based? That might leave a residue.

Social source share

Like Scallybob, I've always used lighter fluid and with no ill effects.

I dunno about Mr Sheen or WD40....aren't they both silcone based? That might leave a residue.

Simon, think you'll find Mr Sheen gets umpteen things clean :unsure:

Always used surgical spirit & a soft cloth myself as it cleans well & any left on the record evaporates so it don't do any damage.

Also good for getting ink off labels but don't go mad with it.

Wouldn't go near an acetate with it though.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I'm v. pleased that you explained what your 'sticky residue' consisted of, Mick.

After all, we've all got excited about records from time to time, but there are limits! tongue.gif

Social source share

If you live in the Uk lighter fluid is the best & cheapest product.

If you ever go to the USA there's a product called GOOGONE (or something similar)

that is just fantastic!!

Maybe STAPLES in the UK stock it, i've not checked..but they certainly sell it the USA. This product will even lift out the stain GUM or CLUE leaves on the label.

It even lifted Chicken Tikka Massala stains off my car seat ..don't ask how they got there.

Social source share

Before you all go rushing off to the shops for tins of lighter fuel think about this 1st.

Lighter fuel is petroleum distillate, in other words PETROL, the same stuff you fill up your cars with.

The next time 1 of the kids come in with a grazed knee would you clean the wound with lighter fuel or surgical spirit?

Edited by CUNNIE
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Before you all go rushing off to the shops for tins of lighter fuel think about this 1st.

Lighter fuel is petroleum distillate, in other words PETROL, the same stuff you fill up your cars with.

The next time 1 of the kids come in with a grazed knee would you clean the wound with lighter fuel or surgical spirit?

Lighter fuel I think... :)

Actually, lighter fuel is always used by graphic designers and draughtsmen for a variety of cleaning puposes where valuable artwork is concerned. It removes marker pen from plastic too.

(and yes, it's highly inflammable. Don't get addicted to breathing the fumes either, and don't forget to wear a crash helmet when in bed - also playing 'conkers' is DEFINITELY out, and etc...)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Whew! When I saw this; "How Can I Remove Sticky Residue From Vinyl?.." I thought... Oh, never mind...

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Sweet Dan - betty everett - fantasy records

14608 refosoul

Released as a single in 1974Composed by: Johnny "Guitar" Watson

Very nice. But what's this got to do with "sticky residue"? :)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Lighter fuel I think... :no:

Actually, lighter fuel is always used by graphic designers and draughtsmen for a variety of cleaning puposes where valuable artwork is concerned. It removes marker pen from plastic too.

(and yes, it's highly inflammable. Don't get addicted to breathing the fumes either, and don't forget to wear a crash helmet when in bed - also playing 'conkers' is DEFINITELY out, and etc...)

Bloody hell Mel!

Just been looking in't gallery & if this is what lighter fuel does to your records i might give it a try :D

post-3218-1171308162_thumb.jpg

post-3218-1171308187_thumb.jpg

Seriously though,

Like the artwork :(

Social source share

Very nice. But what's this got to do with "sticky residue"? unsure.gif

Absolutely nothing. Just needed a place to click "new clip." Plus sticky residue seemed an appropriate place for a random upload, no?

Social source share

post-4950-1171313731_thumb.jpg

Great for grazed knees too! wicked.gif

Yes brilliant stuff!...I suggest trying a heat gun....i use it in my job as an automotive refinisher to remove vinyl graphics from vehicles....works a treat, so you should have no problem there :thumbsup: .......its also great for skin burns as well :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

Lighter fuel I think... wicked.gif

haha i havent had to use lighter fluid to clean up stray pen marks since art school. those were the days ...

sorry, off topic.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mel brat

Bloody hell Mel!

Just been looking in't gallery & if this is what lighter fuel does to your records i might give it a try :thumbsup:

post-3218-1171308162_thumb.jpg

post-3218-1171308187_thumb.jpg

Seriously though,

Like the artwork :thumbsup:

Thanks (Told ya what comes of breathing in the fumes... Just wait till ya see "Psychedelic Soul" though!! Oo-er! :yes:hypo.gif:thumbsup: )

Meanwhile, here's a "work in progress"...

post-4950-1172278138_thumb.jpg

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Hello everyone

Wonder if anyone can offer help on this.

I have a couple of records that were once covered up and the c/u label removed. The area between the run-outs and the labels now has a sticky residue from the little bits of tape.

It there anyway to remove this without damaging the vinyl (in one case acetate) - I should point out the play area and label area are clear of any tape residue.

Thanks in advance

Mick

https://northern-soul-records.com

'Thought it was against the LAW to tape ya records anyway... :wicked:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!