Magnetics on RA-SEL. Recent Sale.

I noticed the above selling on eBay yesterday for $10k.   (Carolina-Soul).
It is a top sound but one you so rarely hear played out (for me anyway).
So it must be rare ?   (I deffo know Dave Rimmer & Butch spin it).
Can anyone give me a quick "potted history" please.

Best regards,    Tom.   Banbury.

Social source share

I do remember in the very early 1980's John Anderson had them on the Soul Bowl list for £10 each, on the section of the list for things he had in quantity. He must have had several copies as they lasted on the list for about 3 weeks! It was known then but not getting a lot of dj plays. I was going to get one but was chasing other things at that time🤔.

Edited by Solidsoul
Social source share

A massive Dave Rimmer spin in the 90’s and into the Noughties. Rarely turns up for sale, so this copy fetched a nice price in spite of the condition. Quite possibly the least desirable Magnetics rarity but still packs the floor - I’d put the various releases by different groups on Bonnie and Sable ahead of this record but it’s a great sound nonetheless.

Social source share

4 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

A massive Dave Rimmer spin in the 90’s and into the Noughties. Rarely turns up for sale, so this copy fetched a nice price in spite of the condition. Quite possibly the least desirable Magnetics rarity but still packs the floor - I’d put the various releases by different groups on Bonnie and Sable ahead of this record but it’s a great sound nonetheless.

By far the best dancer of any Magnetics track , hence the floorpacking status , way above the chinstroking pace of the others ... :thumbup:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

7 hours ago, Woodbutcher said:

By far the best dancer of any Magnetics track , hence the floorpacking status , way above the chinstroking pace of the others ... :thumbup:

Gimme the medium-pace of The Lady In Green anyday. All the Magnetics rarities are floorpackers but when the average age of the dancer is 88, tempo is appealing, especially for the chinstrokers...

• Up vote 2
Social source share

6 hours ago, Chalky said:

Great records they maybe but I don’t really want to hear any of them anymore, all hammered to death. 

2 hours ago, Wiganer1 said:

Yep 

As I sit here with my hot chocolate before retiring to bed , is this the reason because of the blinkered djs who would rather spend 3 months wages on an overplayed classic , or the audience? 

Social source share

4 hours ago, Happy Feet said:

As I sit here with my hot chocolate before retiring to bed , is this the reason because of the blinkered djs who would rather spend 3 months wages on an overplayed classic , or the audience? 

Both probably and promoters booking a Dj with no imagination, gets booked purely because he or she spends £8k on a record

• Up vote 2
Social source share

6 hours ago, Happy Feet said:

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

Both probably and promoters booking a Dj with no imagination, gets booked purely because he or she spends £8k on a record

And if either of you had a copy , that you'd picked up for £30 back in nineteen oatcake , you'd be waving it about with glee and spinning it , so stop being such a pair of moaning Minnies ... :lol:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

50 minutes ago, Woodbutcher said:

And if either of you had a copy , that you'd picked up for £30 back in nineteen oatcake , you'd be waving it about with glee and spinning it , so stop being such a pair of moaning Minnies ... :lol:

i’d be selling it if some fool wants to pay £8k 😂 i’ve never really played big money popular records. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Listen to any record ever made, too many times, too much, you will get tired of them!  No matter how good they are. That's why I never listen to the classics in the car everyday, it's just wasting them!

Joe Tex told the truth when he said "if you eat too much ice cream it will give you a stomach ache, drink too much coffee will keep you wide awake, miss too many payments on your house you won't have anywhere to live, You better believe it baby! 😉      The Ambassadors knew the truth when they sang - "I've Had Too Much Of A Good Thing" 💫

Edited by Solidsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!