What could you not bear to lose?

Bitchdj

On 08/06/2023 at 14:08, Bitchdj said:

After the Ted Massey robbery incident I started to be worried about my records...I haven't played out in a long while and I have obscure taste so I doubt anyone is going to be following me home anytime soon ! It vexes me that nobody ( in spite of the hefty reward ) has come forward with any info on who is behind the aforementioned theft, in my mind it smacks of a collector with a terrible envy problem. I don't see what the theft achieved as all the items are too hot to handle and nobody in a million years will forget the incident period, which makes selling them on way harder !. It has made me extremely nervous to the point that I have had an alarm system fitted in my house and I am also considering fitting trackers inside my record boxes. Apart from feeling violated when some arsehole breaks in to your house, it would break my heart to lose or have damaged things which are very dear to me, stupid things really like pictures and cards the kids made me ( my youngest turns 29 in two weeks! ). I am also astounded that the majority of people I work with do not have home insurance ! Do people not realise how much things cost to replace? What if the house burnt down let alone a robbery? So apart from the obvious record collections, What would have you running in to a burning building to save it? And heaven forbid anyone gets burgled, what precious thing would it vex you the most to lose or have damaged beyond repair?

I know what you mean about the records. Some I have had a very long time and for me, at today's prices they are irreplaceable!

But I try and keep things in perspective and remember they are only trinkets.  If I haven't got my health, material things are worthless🤔

Edited by Solidsoul
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

I've got all my music collection in a cloud library (like my own Spotify).  I also have masters of it all at lossless conversion on 6 different portable hard drives (along with photos etc).  Beyond home things, it's that I'd hope to get if needed. I weaned myself off vinyl and now only buy legal downloads or CDs that I can sell on later - so hopefully I could keep my collection in the cloud at the least.  Kind souls have filled in some vinyl only or unissued onto CD/digital gaps over the years and Japan has been a great source of reissues.  But..... vinyl calls to me still, I'd love to collect it but I'll leave it to others now.

I could envisage for some it's not only the music but the memorabilia too.

Edited by Thinksmart
Social source share

I think I could stand the loss of any material objects, although the burden of the loss would be greater for some things than others. The loss I'd feel the most would be for photos, specifically the 1000s of digital pics (close to 200GB) I've taken over nearly 20 years. Storing them on a Cloud server is a simple solution, and I've had a 50GB free account with Mega for a number of years, so I guess it's just a case of getting round to upgrading that account and ensuring digital peace of mind.

Social source share

Although I think no one could bear to lose their physical belongings whether it is records, photos of family/parents no longer with us etc.  😢 

The one thing that I dread above all is losing one of my twin sons who are in their 30's.  They are not only my children but they are my bestest friends and we have such an amazing relationship/bond that if anything ever happened to them I couldn't imagine the pain I would go through if I lost them.   It even brings a tear to my eyes typing this.  I love them more than anything,  records come way down the list after them x x

Edited by Greedy Mick
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

• 6 months later...

Scrolling through plus 2 (BIG) glasses of Bailys plus Covid (LOL I am a southerner) i came across this!

My children. I don't know how parents ever cope with the loss of a child. - i can't even imagine the pain you'd go through, i guess you learn to cope but you'd never get over it. I get upset even thinking about it.

Then my wife - Selfish but I hope i go first!

Then my dogs - likely at aged 12 they "will" go before me, that's the sad thing about having pets, but I'm sure they've had a fantastically happy life🥹

I do get obsessed about my records then i think of all the above and then my records don't even come close, in fact they wouldn't even be on my list

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!