Records You Wish Were Instrumentals

Guest Bogue

Guest Bogue

Had the Ipod on random the other night & 'The Primers - How Does It Grab You' came on.

I can't help thinking everytime i hear it "I wish this was an instrumental" !

Great driving Northern beat but absolutly dire vocals (imho)

Any other tunes have the same effect on anyone ?

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest MARTIN SNOW

GIBSON BROTHERS - DANCING THE MAMBO - 1980

SURELY THE WORST VOCALS I'VE EVER HEARD, UNFORTUNATELY OVER A WICKED GROOVE.

Social source share

Had the Ipod on random the other night & 'The Primers - How Does It Grab You' came on.

I would like to hear " It'll Never Be Over For Me " as an instrumental ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Catfish

Malc Burton >>>

Easily achievd these days I believe with modern technology- ask a chap called Tony Warot, I think he knows a bit about it.

Not that we'd want to start some bizarre Northern Soul karaoke fetish... mmm...

perhaps that is why we sometimes like the instrumentals- we can practice trying to sing them!

Social source share

Malc Burton

Hi Malc

If I can work out how to convert it to mp3, I will send you a copy of this.

Cheers

Paddy

Social source share

Malc Burton >>>

Easily achievd these days I believe with modern technology- ask a chap called Tony Warot, I think he knows a bit about it.

Not that we'd want to start some bizarre Northern Soul karaoke fetish... mmm...

perhaps that is why we sometimes like the instrumentals- we can practice trying to sing them!

Tony and I know each other from the old days ...... As you say , Tony is a wizard with technology ; He was the one who mixed the vocals from Jackie Wilson and Erma Franklin's seperate versions of " I Get The Sweetest Feeling " together , to create the duet version .

There are karaoke CDs available containing the instrumentals of northern / old soul records ...... I have a friend who works in a music shop that sells them .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Hi Malc

If I can work out how to convert it to mp3, I will send you a copy of this.

Cheers

Paddy

Paddy - I wait in anticipation of you being able to do this ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

Tony and I know each other from the old days ...... As you say , Tony is a wizard with technology ; He was the one who mixed the vocals from Jackie Wilson and Erma Franklin's seperate versions of " I Get The Sweetest Feeling " together , to create the duet version .

Malc Burton

Is this obtainable anywhere, or was it a private experment?

Social source share

Is this obtainable anywhere, or was it a private experment?

Tony Warot mixed the Jackie Wilson & Erma Franklin version of " IGTSF " in the mid seventies , and it surfaced on emidiscs . Tony's mixing of the two sides was excellent , and if you did not know that it was a custom job , you would swear it was the real thing , recorded by the two artists in a studio together .

I seem to recall that the cut made it onto a 45 a few years ago ; there should be someone out there who will confirm this .

I have seen it on various unofficial CDs , and there must be someone on this site who can post it up as a sound clip .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Tony Warot mixed the Jackie Wilson & Erma Franklin version of " IGTSF " in the mid seventies , and it surfaced on emidiscs . Tony's mixing of the two sides was excellent , and if you did not know that it was a custom job , you would swear it was the real thing , recorded by the two artists in a studio together .

I seem to recall that the cut made it onto a 45 a few years ago ; there should be someone out there who will confirm this .

I have seen it on various unofficial CDs , and there must be someone on this site who can post it up as a sound clip .

Malc Burton

joe boy 7"/ 12"/c.d comp and maybee a c.d single?

Social source share

joe boy 7"/ 12"/c.d comp and maybee a c.d single?

Just done a quick web search , and found it was released as a CD single , featuring the duet , an extended duet , and both the seperate vocal versions . It did not state the lable it was on .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Nice topic.

Shake, Rattle & Roll the A side of Two loves have i . Big Joe Turner. Would be a awesome instrumental. Just have a listen if you get chance.

Steve

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Nice topic.

Shake, Rattle & Roll the A side of Two loves have i . Big Joe Turner. Would be a awesome instrumental. Just have a listen if you get chance.

Steve

:shades: Just had a listen, you're right Steve it would.

Or would be better with someone else singing it with just a little a bit more gusto, that lazy blues style singing of Big Joe Turner is definatley an aquired taste.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

something like Moses Smith - The Girl Across the street would be intresting for an instrumental but i love the vocal with it too much

Social source share

anything by George Micheal!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

anything by George Micheal!

...or James Blunt, or Joss Stone, or George Michael (that well known 'George Micheal' tribute act)...

...Big Joe Turner is a vocal demigod, BTW. yes.gif

TONE

Social source share

Guest Bogue

...or James Blunt, or Joss Stone, or George Michael (that well known 'George Micheal' tribute act)...

...Big Joe Turner is a vocal demigod, BTW. yes.gif

TONE

:unsure: My statement was probably a bit too sweeping Tony, i meant on that particular record, it's just too uptempo for his blues voice. No doubting his talent.

He could sing rock & roll numbers with drive & pace so it seems strange he chose to sing that record in a bluesy style ?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

yes.gif My statement was probably a bit too sweeping Tony, i meant on that particular record, it's just too uptempo for his blues voice. No doubting his talent.

He could sing rock & roll numbers with drive & pace so it seems strange he chose to sing that record in a bluesy style ?

BJT started singing while tending bar in Kansas City in the mid 1930s (so I guess that BitchDJ's comment about him sounding like a pub singer is technically accurate, if musically more than a million miles from the truth...). He was so popular with his patrons that the owner of the bar rigged up a mic so Joe could shout the blues whenever the mood took him, while still serving drinks,...

BJT is one of the greatest of all time, as far as I'm concerened. There really want much that Joe couldn't sing with 100% heart and soul. His original versions of "Chains Of Love" and "Sweet Sixteen" will always be landmark recordings in the history of American music. Ironically, his worst ever record is probably "Two Loves...."

...Hi Yo Silver!

TONE

Social source share

BJT started singing while tending bar in Kansas City in the mid 1930s (so I guess that BitchDJ's comment about him sounding like a pub singer is technically accurate, if musically more than a million miles from the truth...). He was so popular with his patrons that the owner of the bar rigged up a mic so Joe could shout the blues whenever the mood took him, while still serving drinks,...

BJT is one of the greatest of all time, as far as I'm concerened. There really want much that Joe couldn't sing with 100% heart and soul. His original versions of "Chains Of Love" and "Sweet Sixteen" will always be landmark recordings in the history of American music. Ironically, his worst ever record is probably "Two Loves...."

...Hi Yo Silver!

TONE

I also love the sides he recorded with Pete Johnson between 1939 and 1944; things like "Roll 'Em Pete", "Baby Look At You" and "Lovin' Mama Blues". I'm pleased to own the last two on original UK Parlophone 78s - surely the earliest UK releases to credit Joe Turner! My copy of "Roll 'Em Pete" is the US 78 on Columbia - anyone seen a UK 78 of this?

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

I also love the sides he recorded with Pete Johnson between 1939 and 1944; things like "Roll 'Em Pete", "Baby Look At You" and "Lovin' Mama Blues". I'm pleased to own the last two on original UK Parlophone 78s - surely the earliest UK releases to credit Joe Turner! My copy of "Roll 'Em Pete" is the US 78 on Columbia - anyone seen a UK 78 of this?

Goy one somewhere ill dig it out and post details

Social source share

Changing the idea slightly, simply beacause these 2 vocals did have instrumental versions anyway....

Joey Dee & The New Starlighters - How Can I Forget You - (Caniel), much better as instrumental....

and this....

Queen City Show Band - True Patron Of The Arts - (Pow).......and the vocal...The Razor's Edge also on Pow....dire, weak, white vocals, great lyrics though..."She's a go-go girl who's in with the in-crowd, a true patron of the arts!"post-4912-1174165470_thumb.jpg

Social source share

I did the instrumental of It'll Never Be Over For Me, if you remember, I posted a load up including this 2 years ago and said you watch, these will eventually circulate. Mick Holdsworth did an edit in the middle which improved it, but you still can't completely get rid of the vocal. But the record that would sound best as an instrumental - and there's nothing wrong with the vocal, it's fantastic, I'd just love to hear an inst of I'll Always Need You by Dean Courtney. try listening to just the strings, it's an incredible arrangement.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert