my NS Top 10 songwriters of all time (in order).

Soul Salad

1. Mike Terry

2.Van McCoy

3. Curtis Mayfield

4. Jerry Ragavoy

5. Nick Ashford

6. Stevie Wonder (or is he more pop?)

7. Marvin Gaye

8. Holland Dozier Holland

9. Thom Bell

10. Barrett Strong

11. J Armstead

10. Gamble and Huff                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              It's probably too late to change as its now "official" but any thoughts to add would be great - quite subjective too 🥹.

Edited by Mike
'official' dropped from title
Social source share

On 30/11/2023 at 21:06, Soul Salad said:

1. Mike Terry

2.Van McCoy

3. Curtis Mayfield

4. Jerry Ragavoy

5. Nick Ashford

6. Stevie Wonder (or is he more pop?)

7. Marvin Gaye

8. Holland Dozier Holland

9. Thom Bell

10. Barrett Strong

11. J Armstead

10. Gamble and Huff                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              It's probably too late to change as its now "official" but any thoughts to add would be great - quite subjective too 🥹.

valid list. but I'm wondering mike terry and jerry ragavoy really qualify as songwriters? to me they were primarily arrangers/producers.

Social source share

7 hours ago, Soul Salad said:

Now i thought this would make an interesting topic and I was disappointed that i only received only "ONE" solitary comment.

And that comment was Mike from admin editing the title....................................:tumbleweed3:

Am i delusional?🫤

It's not FB , you don't win prizes for the number of responses you get on here ... :rolleyes:

Social source share

Bacharach and David would be an obvious choice.

Bert Berns not so obvious but a favourite of mine.

Also Deadric Malone for his Duke input......if he did indeed compose the numerous compositions in his name.

Was it Giant and Baum who did a lot of the big top composing

Social source share

Ha ha Thanks for the replies, Guys😁

Completely forgot Toussaint Porter/Hayes! Wylie/Hestor - of course they should be there (maybe a top 20 then)

As for Terry and Ragavoy - i see what you mean but I'm a bit bias for those two purely for the quality of songs they did write, plus i forgot Ragavoy didn't write the Lou Courtney songs.

As for Bacharach, yes great song writing and was floating around for my list but was there enough NS stuff for the list?

Gamble/Huff on my list😃

Social source share

8 hours ago, Woodbutcher said:

It's not FB , you don't win prizes for the number of responses you get on here ... :rolleyes:

Yes thanks Woodbutcher,

But its nice for other/newer soulies to get involved with the posts, quite a lot of the threads on here a "way" beyond my knowledge and only really the gurus or the experts can really get involved which of course is great (I've learnt tonnes 😃), but my posts are simply to try and engage a wider range of folk on the forum to join in - it was a general question and Christmas is coming!.

Dax

PS I Don't use Facebook

Social source share

Van McCoy, H.B.Barnum, Jerry Ragavoy, Jimmy Wisner, Jerry Ross, Horace Ott, Joe Renzetti, Kenny Gamble, Leon Huff, Lamont Dozier, Brian and Eddie Holland, William Stevenson, Randazzo and Pike, Mancha, D. Browner, The Solid Hitbound team, The Harthon team, Bob Crewe and G. Knight, Curtis Mayfield, Leonard Jewel Smith, Richard Wylie, Frank Wilson, Don Davis, Rosemary McCoy, George Kerr, Gene Redd, Jack Ashford, Lorraine Chandler, Jackson and Barnes, Thom Bell, D. Malone, J. Armstead, The RicTic team, Mike Terry, Thom Bell, Dave Hamilton, Schroeck& Loring, plus lots and lots more that should have recognition in the Northern Soul hall of fame! (if only their was one

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!