Eddie Billups - Shake off that dream - bootleg?

Does anyone know anything about this, which I assume to be a bootleg? Both sides are identical, apart from the sticker, there's a number (09) scratched in the deadwax on one side, 010 on the other. Picked up cheap at a record fair the other day. There's no mention on Discogs or 45Cat

Eddie Billups - Shake off that dream.jpg

Edited by Nickinstoke
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Nickinstoke said:

Does anyone know anything about this, which I assume to be a bootleg? Both sides are identical, apart from the sticker, there's a number (09) scratched in the deadwax on one side, 010 on the other. Picked up cheap at a record fair the other day. There's no mention on Discogs or 45Cat

Hi Nick i did spot this record at the fair Sunday same tune both sides 

This is 1st issue of the record quite rare 

https://www.discogs.com/release/9851241-Eddie-Billups-Shake-Off-That-Dream-Try-Something-New with a different flip 

Edited by Kev John
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

17 hours ago, Djack said:

If it was the Soul Tribe 45 with another label on top the run-out groove would have   ST 003 on the runout groove

It doesn’t have that in the run-out. I see from Discogs that the B side on Soul Tribe is a remix - my copy sounds identical on both sides, so unless it’s a very subtle remix, I don’t think this can be the Soul Tribe reissue 

Social source share

28 minutes ago, Nickinstoke said:

It doesn’t have that in the run-out. I see from Discogs that the B side on Soul Tribe is a remix - my copy sounds identical on both sides, so unless it’s a very subtle remix, I don’t think this can be the Soul Tribe reissue 

Nick the soul tribe releases are easy to spot they are obviously new pressings.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Nickinstoke said:

Nick what i saw of it the record had got some age to it,not a newly pressed 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The saturated colors and 'fat' grainage here looks like a photocopy.

The scratched in 09 and 010 "matrix" in the run-out groove are not right.

Or are they ? Don't have that record. Shouldn't they be S7-163 C as on the label ?

Such seems to be the case with all Seventy Seven 45's. And on both sides here then ?

Social source share

On 03/04/2024 at 16:56, Nickinstoke said:

BTW Nick whats the sound quality & vinyl like  ?

Social source share

There are loads on Popsike 

I’m under the impression it’s considered to be a proper USA release from 76

i have seen it go through e bay a few times myself for 100 odd 

thanks 

Gaz

Social source share

I guess it’s time to compare the matrix stamp / information on the copy with both sides and  the copies with the different flip 

If it’s definitely vinyl with proper moulded label and the matrix matches , that would be interesting.

Social source share

15 hours ago, Gaz T said:

I guess it’s time to compare the matrix stamp / information on the copy with both sides and  the copies with the different flip 

If it’s definitely vinyl with proper moulded label and the matrix matches , that would be interesting.

It’s definitely vinyl, but the matrix is wrong - see my earlier post

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Nickinstoke said:

It’s definitely vinyl, but the matrix is wrong - see my earlier post

Stuck-on label or moulded label in vinyl he meant. That's the difference.

One way to tell would be to have a "regular" stocker next to it and compare...

All label print and colors, matrix, run-in and out groove, sound quality and all... 

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

I don’t have the stocker of “Shake off”, just a demo, but comparing it to a couple of other 77 releases from a similar date, I’m sure it’s wrong. Looks like a stuck on label and the print quality is inferior. 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Nickinstoke said:

I don’t have the stocker of “Shake off”, just a demo, but comparing it to a couple of other 77 releases from a similar date, I’m sure it’s wrong. Looks like a stuck on label and the print quality is inferior. 

OK so like in your picture even in the flesh it doesn't look right. If ever you can also compare the run-in and run-out groove counts and gap between this odd stocker (likely a boot of some sort) with your promo copy.

Social source share

1 thing i noticed on Nick's record is the runout was smaller than his Demo which looked a standard size if you get my drift !

There is a copy on evil bay where i've tried enlarging the scan i honestly couldn't see any stamped matix in runout or any etched in numbers or markings in the runout

Just sent a message to the seller if he's willing to pass any matrix runout info from the record

Edited by Kev John
updated my post
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Chalky said:

The only release that is same both sides is the Soul Tribe copy, flip side being a remix but same time length. Maybe a doctored copy of one of those or a home made one?

Garpax promo are the same both sides

Edited by Northernguy
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Northernguy said:

Garpax promo are the same both sides

OK but the Garpax promo is MONO B / W stereo versions. Although the run-out groove matrix apparently reads '4703' on both sides... And not '09' and '010' as on this 'labeled' double sided Seventy 7 dodgy press.

And the Garpax is the 1977 reworked version... Sounding very different from the 1973 first release either on Helpp or Seventy 7. The problems with this Seventy 7 here is the label prints, the double sider and matrix.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Tlscapital said:

OK but the Garpax promo is MONO B / W stereo versions. Although the run-out groove matrix apparently reads '4703' on both sides... And not '09' and '010' as on this 'labeled' double sided Seventy 7 dodgy press.

And the Garpax is the 1977 reworked version... Sounding very different from the 1973 first release either on Helpp or Seventy 7. The problems with this Seventy 7 here is the label prints, the double sider and matrix.

Yes I forgot about that one tbh and like you say different mix etc

Social source share

Right got a reply of seller on Ebay

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.f0068a9c02e65c834b3bea3174d0ab7b.jpg

run-out reads S7-162-C & S7-163-C (scratched) plus the marking shown in the attached photo (both sides). I'll leave you to decipher what it is. Regards, Paul

This is for the real issue

https://www.discogs.com/artist/676200-Paul-Richmond-2?anv=MPaul&filter_anv=1

Edited by Kev John
added info for mastering engineer in run out image
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!