Favourite Blaxploitation Songs

Guest cyrus

Guest cyrus

Just wanted to know what peoples Favourite Blaxploitation songs were (not the whole album), mine in no order are:

1) Trouble Man - Marvin Gaye (Trouble Man)

2) For Whom Shall I Be Afraid - Mavis Staples (A peice of the action)

3) Brothers Gotta Work It Out - Willie Hutch (The Mack)

4) People Get Up and Drive Your Funky Soul - James Brown (Slaughters Big Rip Off)

5) Need Someone To Love or maybe Heavy Dude - Curtis Mayfield (Both from "Short Eyes")

Look forward to the replys

Social source share

• Replies 68
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just wanted to know what peoples Favourite Blaxploitation songs were (not the whole album), mine in no order are:

4) People Get Up and Drive Your Funky Soul - James Brown (Slaughters Big Rip Off)

5) Need Someone To Love or maybe Heavy Dude - Curtis Mayfield (Both from "Short Eyes")

Bobby Womack-Across 110th street-(Album of the same name)

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Down And Out in New York City - James Brown (Black Caesar)

It Hurts So Good - Millie Jackson (Cleopatra Jones)

Soulville - Isaac Hayes (Shaft)

Don't Mess With Mr. T - Marvin Gaye (Trouble Man)

Give Me Your love - Curtis Mayfield (Superfly)

TONE

Social source share

Guest sigher the gutter snype

the very rare

high risk "degridation and common woman" sister love

supposedly made for womans rights film.

early bay area slice of ghetto jazz !!

all to do with early oliva label roots

www.theunearthedwax.co.uk/highriskdegridation.mp3

www.theunearthedwax.co.uk/highriskcommonwoman.mp3

Social source share

which film is this in? :lol:

willie hutch 'foxy brown' and 'the mack' soundtracks are both great

cheers Sutty

Agree Sutty and Tony's earlier comment. Don't think all understand the tread. Blaxploitation tunes are those that come from the soundtracks of Blaxploitation films. Rather than tracks that are 'right on'.

Social source share

Guest Simon

...where's the Blaxploitation connection here, then? :no:

The connection is it's on an album i've got called Blaxploitation - The sequel apart from that no connection at all.

Simon :)

Social source share

YEAH SOME PEOPLE ARE GETTING THIS CONFUSED

DOESNT MEAN ELVIS "IN THE GHETTO" IS ON A BLAXPLOITATION FILM!! :no:

I THINK :)

Social source share

quite a few of my faves already mentioned.

also like roy ayers - aragon from coffy

also can't remember which film but dramatics are behind bars and sing i think "what you see is what you get" plus think it's same film there is a group singing accapella in a park. can't remember title at moment. doh!!

cheers

phil

Social source share

Guest Simon

Agree Sutty and Tony's earlier comment. Don't think all understand the tread. Blaxploitation tunes are those that come from the soundtracks of Blaxploitation films. Rather than tracks that are 'right on'.

The start of the thread said Just wanted to know what peoples Favourite Blaxploitation songs were (not the whole album), mine in no order are:

Anyway who cares, didn't realise it was meant to be that serious, i'll toddle off & get involved in a thread i hopefully know a bit more about!

Simon :no:

Social source share

which film is this in? :no:

It isn't. 'Blaxploitation' as a term is mainly in connection with film and not songs. Though the thread title doesn't specify that this has to be the case, it could be in the spirit of, if you understand the definition correctly.

I'll remove the original post if it's been very upsetting for you Sutty. :)

Social source share

Didn;t I Blow Your Mind This Time - Delfonics

Pops Staples " Black Boy "

Don Julian " Message From A Black Man "

The Staple Singers " When Will We Be Paid For The Work We've Done "

Sam Dees " Why Must I Live In Chains "

Syl Johnson " Is It Because I'm Black "

Theola Kilgore " Chain Gang ( The Sound Of My Man ) "

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Just wanted to know what peoples Favourite Blaxploitation songs were not the whole album...

Isaac Hayes "Shaft"

Willie Hutch "Give Me Some Of That Good Old Love", and "Foxy Brown"

Bobby Womack "Across 110th Street"

(Blimey! I saw all of these films at the cinema...) :thumbsup:

Best film soundtrack ever?

Earth, Wind & Fire "That's The Way Of The World"

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Short Eyes is a great soundtrack

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

The fabulous "It takes love" by Delilah Moore was used for the soundtrack to the film " hit em hard"

the film was never released but the soundtrack was oddly.

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

Guest Adam G

"make yours a happy home"-Gladys night curtis produced- from Claudine ,also the instrumental from the same film.

Adam.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Pops Staples " Black Boy "

Don Julian " Message From A Black Man "

The Staple Singers " When Will We Be Paid For The Work We've Done "

Sam Dees " Why Must I Live In Chains "

Syl Johnson " Is It Because I'm Black "

Theola Kilgore " Chain Gang ( The Sound Of My Man ) "

Malc Burton

Umm, which films were these tracks all in, Malc? Nothing that came to my local Gaumont, that's for sure!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Didn;t I Blow Your Mind This Time - Delfonics

...or this one, too. Can we keep on point, please, this is supposed to be a thread about people's favourite songs from Blaxploitation movies!!!!!!!

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

sonny smith "super spook" aparentley from the same film

dennis coffey" theme from black belt jones" the best all time b-boy breaking cut, makes me want to windmill every time!!

gordons war the whole soundtrack "hot wheels" another breakers anthem

an one of the best films, some of the lines they drop in that movie are classic "super shine number nine!!!"

Social source share

Guest Simon

...or this one, too. Can we keep on point, please, this is supposed to be a thread about people's favourite songs from Blaxploitation movies!!!!!!!

TONE :thumbsup:

That's not what the title of the thread says Tone, i would say Blaxploitation is more of a genre nowadays rather than only being songs that were in certain movies.

Maybe you should start a thread that specifies songs from Blaxploitation movies only.

Simon

Social source share

im with tony

if it says blaxpoitation it means black films, really made by black people like sweet sweetbacks baadddaaaaasss song !!

other than that the music would either be called funk or maybe ghetto funk if its lyrics was a little more risky on social

issues...not blaxpoitation.

Social source share

Guest Simon

other than that the music would either be called funk or maybe ghetto funk if its lyrics was a little more risky on social

issues...not blaxpoitation.

Well it's not called Funk or Ghetto Funk on my album that is titled 'Blaxploitation - The sequel'!

Simon :thumbsup:

Social source share

wacko.gif just saying that you cant really call funk records blaxpoitation unless the came from one of the movies

although shouldnt really pigeon hole the movies either.

oh! well whatever its all good stuff with a funk edge, apart from the more soulfull ones on blaxploitation films wacko.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

My favourate Blaxploitation film 45s:

"You Can't Even Walk In The Park" from Shaft in Africa

"Theme From Black Belt Jones" by Dennis Coffee from Black Belt Jones

"Accross 110th Street" from Accross 110th Street

"Are You Man Enough" by the Four Tops from Shaft in Africa again I think?

:thumbsup:

If 'Blaxploitation' is a genre, then I'd add Smoking Shades of Black "Grease Wheels" and "Cross Bronx Expressway" as two chase theme / blaxploitation style tunes. Both deepfunk anthems of course yes.gif

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

That's not what the title of the thread says Tone, i would say Blaxploitation is more of a genre nowadays rather than only being songs that were in certain movies.

Maybe you should start a thread that specifies songs from Blaxploitation movies only.

Simon

Think about what the word represents, Simon - blaxploitation, an abbreviation of 'black exploitation'. The word was invented in the mid 70s, to describe the reason that these usually poorly acted, inadequately scripted movies were made i.e. to exploit the expendable income of (mostly) 1970s African-Americans who did not want to watch movies like "Barry Lyndon", "The Missouri Breaks", "Emperor Of The North", "Nashville" or "Mean Streets" (to name but 5 of my own favourite non-Blaxploitation movies of the same era).

I can find nothing even vaguely exploitational in "Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time)", wonderful record though it undoubtedly is. And that's why it, or any other records that do not come directly from the genre of movies in question, don't belong in a thread about "Blaxploitation".

IMO, of course...

TONE

Social source share

Guest cardysharpy

I can find nothing even vaguely exploitational in "Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time)", wonderful record though it undoubtedly is. And that's why it, or any other records that do not come directly from the genre of movies in question, don't belong in a thread about "Blaxploitation".

IMO, of course...

TONE

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

This topics sat nav ain't working too well, it seems to have veered off somewhere ....

Next someone will post up Axel F :rolleyes:

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

precisely!

Not 'precisely' at all - JB is an homage to Blaxploitation moves, not a pastiche. the two things are totally different. Anyway, the blaxploitation genre lasted from about 1971-1976, nothing later than that really counts, especially not a film as well scripted and acted as JB was and is...

But since this has now turned into a pastiche of a Blaxplotation thread, and anything goes, let's give a big shout out to some other notable records made by African Americans that have appeared in films, shall we? I've always liked that "Ol' Man River" by Paul Robeson, as featured in "Showboat". or how about Lena Horne singing the title song of "Stormy Weather" in the film of the same name.

The three black crows singing "When I See An Elephant Fly" in "Dumbo" are pretty good, too...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

So DID this get a 7" release somewhere in the world?

Jason mentioned a possible Spain issue.

Anyone got a label scan?

Wouldn't mind a copy.

Yes, it's on 7", really loud and punchy as well. Nice picture sleeve with it. It's on the shelf at home so can't do a scan at the moment :rolleyes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert