Completists

Is anyone on the list an artist completist who has to have every single recording by a particular artist, from whatever period good or bad?

I have an old friend who has ever record The Tams recorded or were involved with, every record The Dells were involved with, every record Little Eva was involved with, every record Baby Jane and The Rockabyes plus a whole load of Doo Wop groups and the solo recordings of various members of the groups. After 20 years of collecting the advent of the CD gave him nightmares because suddenly there were all these unreleased tracks appearing on obscure US deep wop CD's that he had to track down.

Mine are Little Richard ( I have virtually everything but have let it slip recently), Benny Gordon, except his album which I can't quite bring myself to pay the money for and in a much slower process, Dee Dee Sharp, The Olympics, Bobby Sheen and Hoagy Lands and Tiny Tim.

Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

that avatar has sent me goggle eyed.

I have set out to complete a couple of artists but never actually got the whole lot. Kim Tolliver / Briggs being one of them.

I still need the chess LP (somebody help !!!) and I haven't bothered to pick up the castro 45.

It is interesting when an artists has only made a small quantity of 45s yet all of them are of a very high standard. Makes you wonder why they didn't make more. And yet even though they have made only a handfull of 45s there is always one that seems to be totally elusive.... grrrrrrr.

Jimmy Braswell an artist that springs immediately to mind. Every recording is outstanding.

Social source share

Annette Snell and Bobby Powell so far .....

Annette Snell is a great choice. She didn't issue many records but they were all excellent, especially "You Ought To Be Here With Me", "Get Your Thing Together" and "Footprints On My Mind".

Perhaps the most underrated female soul singer of them all?

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Annette Snell is a great choice. She didn't issue many records but they were all excellent, especially "You Ought To Be Here With Me", "Get Your Thing Together" and "Footprints On My Mind".

Paul Mooney

For those who haven't heard all of Annette Snell's Dial 45s, they're quite easy to find and you can also get them all on the Dial Records Southern Soul Story (Kent CDKEN 2223) which is highly recommended.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

I really want everything Jean Carne's ever done............. but its a nightmare............ not finding her own work ( got all them ) but all of her "collaborations"

Cheers Paul

PS Simon you should ask John Kerr next time you see him............the ultimate completist!.....Dells/Dionne Warwick/Jerry Butler/Candi Saton......etc ..............Issues / promos / UK /US /Euro pic sleeves ....you name it!

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Paul Mooney

lets not forget "promises should never be broken" possibly her hardest to find ?

Social source share

Some interesting ones. How does it work for completists when an artist has a release in a country other than the US, like Hoagy Lands and Major Lance both mentioned here?

Social source share

BIT OF A JERRY BUTLER AND JOHNNY MOORE FREAK LOVE JOHNNYS TOTAL OUTPUT AND I AM TRYING DESPERATELY HARD TO COMPLETE,HAVE A DISCOGRAPHY FROM A SOUL UP NORTH ED SO THAT HELPS.AS FOR JERRY BUTLER HIS VOICE ON HIS MERCURY DEEP CUTS NAIL ME TO THE FLOOR SO GOT LOADS OF THAT STUFF ALSO.EDDIE PARKER IS ANOTHER ONE BUT ONLY HAVE THE REISSUE OF IM GONE AND DO NOT HAVE HIS SUPER RARE LP,COULD GO ON ALL DAY I SUPPOSE.

BAZ A.

Social source share

Paul Mooney

lets not forget "promises should never be broken" possibly her hardest to find ?

You're both right, but don't forget her old groups Fabulettes and Marvells (actually it's one group with two names). Sometimes it's easy to get distracted too, I found myself collecting all the Quiet Elegance 45's because there's kind of a relation between the groups and, well, I got carried away for a while :rolleyes: Luckily I managed to stop before starting a complete collection of recordings involving Frankie Gearing :lol:

Now if I just could find a copy of that epic issue with both songs on it ......

Social source share

When I collected Bowie I'd have like 15 copies of the same album but each one from a different country. Same with the singles: pic sleeves from everywhere in the world. My ex wife ended up with everything except the original 60's UK singles.

Collecting like that is obsessive and ridiculous especially when the guy hadn't put out a decent record in 10 years and we were still buying every variation. Sad.

Social source share

You're both right, but don't forget her old groups Fabulettes and Marvells (actually it's one group with two names). Sometimes it's easy to get distracted too, I found myself collecting all the Quiet Elegance 45's because there's kind of a relation between the groups and, well, I got carried away for a while whistling.gif Luckily I managed to stop before starting a complete collection of recordings involving Frankie Gearing rolleyes.gif

Now if I just could find a copy of that epic issue with both songs on it ......

I got distracted to the point I baught a 45 by Annette on Fam-Lee only to find out later it wasn't her. I had my doubts after the first listen as this singer is not in the same league.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I buy stuff by The Five Stairsteps. A lot of their stuff is produced and/or written by Curtis Mayfield.

If you buy anything penned by Curtis you know you'll get quality so i also have some Fascinations 45s, all excellent.

Does anyone collect songwriters?

Social source share

Annette Snell and Bobby Powell so far .....

I'm constantly trying to avoid the completist thought. And always keep a strict 45's only policy.

Ahhh LarsC, the impeccable Annette Snell, having finally got her "Annette" 45 on Juggy, I now pine for the day when Buddy Killen releases the unreleased cuts allegedly in the Dial vaults recorded just before her massively untimely death. The issue of her Epic 45 is so haaaaarrrrd too!

Annette_Snell___It_s_all_over_now.mp3

Edited by bozaboy
Social source share

When I collected Bowie I'd have like 15 copies of the same album but each one from a different country. Same with the singles: pic sleeves from everywhere in the world. My ex wife ended up with everything except the original 60's UK singles.

Collecting like that is obsessive and ridiculous especially when the guy hadn't put out a decent record in 10 years and we were still buying every variation. Sad.

He's a good businessman that Dave Bowie. Here's some of his 'Art' .

https://www.teenagewildlife.com/Othermedia/Artwork/

Social source share

Ahhh LarsC, the impeccable Annette Snell, having finally got her "Annette" 45 on Juggy, I now pine for the day when Buddy Killen releases the unreleased cuts allegedly in the Dial vaults recorded just before her massively untimely death. The issue of her Epic 45 is so haaaaarrrrd too!

I got lucky with the Juggy 45, only $47 for a minter, but I fear the epic issue will be devastating to my economy laugh.gif

And as a completist I'm also looking for the Love Hill 45 that was released a few months before she put the same recordings out on Juggy rolleyes.gif Never seen one for sale.

btw, didn't Buddy Killen join the soul choir in the sky a few months ago ? And she was with epic at the time of that recording so who owns the rights ?

Social source share

mmmm..... the infamous love hill i'm convinced its an urban myth. Label scan anybody.

John Ridley may have the only known copy ?????????????????? I've never bothered to ask around on that label release only read about it at melingo.

Social source share

I got lucky with the Juggy 45, only $47 for a minter, but I fear the epic issue will be devastating to my economy :D

And as a completist I'm also looking for the Love Hill 45 that was released a few months before she put the same recordings out on Juggy :thumbsup: Never seen one for sale.

btw, didn't Buddy Killen join the soul choir in the sky a few months ago ? And she was with epic at the time of that recording so who owns the rights ?

Ditto with the Juggy 45, paid around $50 in Jan 2005 for mine, never seen another one since. On the Epic 45, you do see a regular supply of the demo but only ever seen 1 issue in 9 years of looking. Got close once, but got sniped! Wasn't a lot either, around $70 springs to mind.

I think you're right re:BK, but with Kent doing the Dial Records story CD, its only a matter of time before they lock onto the "missing" album tapes that all true Snell-ites crave.

Do need more info, scans, etc. on the Love Hill disc tho'

Oh, where will it all end!

Social source share

I guess it's been a life mission of mine from my mid teens to collect every Australian issued 45 , EP , 12" or LP that was literally EVER issued from the late 50's through to the early 80's and that is remotely connected to soul , blues , girl group , funk , philly , disco , ska , reggae , jazz , boogie or rhythm n blues.

And that includes both commercial chart soul and disco hits as well as the more underground side of black music , eg northern soul related (Gloria Scott, Sapphires, Jessica James & the Outlaws, Tony Middleton , Metros , Larry Santos , Jackie Day EP etc etc ).

I'm about 98% close to completion , it works out to around 20,000 records !!!

So, for example , I have every Australian Motown 45 release from the early 60's through to the early 80's (even the country and pop things on Motown!) , and every Australian Chess , Stax , Red Bird release and so on ... and all the black music related releases on Aussie Stateside and London and Festival and W & G etc etc

It's been been a great trip !!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert