Jimmy Ruffin On Miracle - Anyone Spotted This?

Just got another copy of Jimmy Ruffin - Don't Feel Sorry For Me on Miracle. This one is a vinyl pressing which I've not had before and it's a completely different mix to the one I'm used to hearing. It's absolutely bathed in echo, especially near the start - and it definitely not the same version as on the styrene copies I've had lately. Is this a well known fact or have I just discovered it - and would it make any difference to the price? The number in the run off is H-708 but just to the right of that it has a (2) written.

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

It isn't mentioned and an alternative version isn't included on the "Complete Motown Singles 1959-1961" box-set, so I guess it isn't particularly well known. I haven't heard the echo-version, but it would be really nice to hear if you could post up an MP3 perhaps? :thumbup:

Social source share

Anyone else got any info?

What's on the others side & can you post up scans?

DFSFM was the first release on the label in January 1961. The last release was a Temptations track in November 1961. Sometime during that time Jimmy was drafted into the army for two years, hence no more releases on the label. I don't think they would have re-released a track by someone off in the army, do you?

DFSFM has two different label designs on the white demos and the black issue, but I thought they were all on styrene, mine are (aren't all the releases on styrene?)

There was the 'rare' press on ebay a couple of years ago that was on vinyl which seemed odd to me at the time, I can't remember if the label was exactly the same.

"re-issues'' of records has been going on for decades aside from the 'northern' scene; stick a bit of echoe on a track and sell it as a new take? (Lots of collectors of Motown in the states to sell to)

Also, I wouldn't have thought Motown would ever re-release any tracks that were produced by Miss Ray, for obvious reasons.

Social source share

Just got another copy of Jimmy Ruffin - Don't Feel Sorry For Me on Miracle. This one is a vinyl pressing which I've not had before and it's a completely different mix to the one I'm used to hearing. It's absolutely bathed in echo, especially near the start - and it definitely not the same version as on the styrene copies I've had lately. Is this a well known fact or have I just discovered it - and would it make any difference to the price? The number in the run off is H-708 but just to the right of that it has a (2) written.

I've heard of the vinyl copy but can honestly say I've never knowingly heard this take. Listen about 1min 15 seconds in, whats that they start to bang or play :thumbsup:

Social source share

Motown often gave the findished recording to a couple of different producers/masterers and pressed up small amount of copies and gave to radio DJs, then watched which version it was that started to take off and then they went with that one. For example there are different mixes of "This Old Heart Of Mine", "Heat Wave" etc. some of them with more bass, some with more tambourines etc. I guess this is what happened with the Jimmy Ruffin tune as well. Sometimes they rush-produced a tune to get it out on the radio, then perfected it for the proper national release. etc. etc. etc. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert