Kentucky Fried Citizens

Simsy

I hear you Sam, I started out by saying most people on our scene feel as you do.  It's not fried chicken music as the bird in Harpenden said. Fast food really is rubbish food and to associate that with with the quality music we listen to was just a little unsettling thats all.  But no giggie, didn't want to go OTT on this.  I'm off home for me dinner, let's hope she's not made me fried chicken!

link

==========

Or opened a can of felix :wicked:rolleyes.gif

Miaoooow :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 115
  • Views 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Why do a certain crowd like to think that this music is theirs and want to take it to their graves. Its pathetic.

I've been on the scene for about a year and listening for about 3 years and i might not know all the artists or have a mega record collection, but the point is i love the music and its changed my life.

You may be slightly missing the point Paul if you'll forgive me for saying so. Anyone who warms to good soul music has good taste in my opinion, thats fine. It's not new listeners that trouble me, it's the corporate grease peddlers. rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Why do a certain crowd like to think that this music is theirs and want to take it to their graves. Its pathetic.

I've been on the scene for about a year and listening for about 3 years and i might not know all the artists or have a mega record collection, but the point is i love the music and its changed my life.

You may be slightly missing the point Paul if you'll forgive me for saying so.  Anyone who warms to good soul music has good taste in my opinion, thats fine.  It's not new listeners that trouble me, it's the corporate grease peddlers.  rolleyes.gif

link

Wasn't having a do at you ian. Just went off on one towards the end of the post.

I understand what your saying but i think its good if the music is being exposed.

Social source share

northern soul isnt 'cool,' it's way too much trouble to get into it via a 'greatest hits' compilation or whatever. so everyone that is into it IS genuine, though i dont know about saying mods (or anyone!) has credibility just for being into retro stuff

link

============

By genuine I meant on the scene for the music. I have noticed over the last few years that there are people on this scene who have no interest in the music, and are there to use it as a singles club. Won't go into it now, as it would take the thread away from it's original path.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

I think its top if people are getting into the music even if they are hearing it on the tv. Who cares how they hear it. You shouldn't have to have an amazing story about how you got into the music or on the scene. If a young lad or lass heard those songs on tv and suddenly thought " wow, this is amazing stuff... i need to hear more", and then they go to a local night and get hooked then great. Whats wrong with that.

Surely this should be encouraged so that in years to come people are still out there on the floor keeping the music alive.

If the KFC ads bring this great music into more young people's lives then FANTASTIC!!

link

=============

You're right Paul, however people get into the scene is ok by most of us. But we (older/wrinkly/crinkly types) are protective, cos the scene got mass publicity once before, and that created the politics that are still rife within the scene today. Wigan was once voted best disco in the world, hardly underground qualifications :thumbsup:

I'm guessing most don't want to see it go the same way again.

Consequently we can be blinkered, which isn't a good thing, but it keeps us cocooned and safe.

There's an old adage, no one likes change, but for the sake of the scene we must move forward, it's just that no one has come up with the ideal way, that most of us elderly bus pass types can accept rolleyes.gif

Social source share

But we (older/wrinkly/crinkly types) are protective, cos the scene got mass publicity once before, and that created the politics that are still rife within the scene today. Wigan was once voted best disco in the world, hardly underground qualifications rolleyes.gif

Spot on again Win.

The point I wanna make above everything, is geneal types (shant call them citizens) looking at those adds and pouring scourn over the music, "my mum would listen to that" "fast food ads is all it's good for" that kind of thing, I feel protective, it's not that I want to keep it all to myself as someone said earlier, I just don't want it dissed by no nothings that don't wanna be converts, they just think Drum & Base is better and I disagree. They've never experienced an uplifting stormer of the same quality as we have at 5:48am. To judge it on a chicken ad, just aint fair.

Social source share

=============

You're right Paul, however people get into the scene is ok by most of us. But we (older/wrinkly/crinkly types) are protective, cos the scene got mass publicity once before, and that created the politics that are still rife within the scene today. Wigan was once voted best disco in the world, hardly underground qualifications  :wicked:

Consequently we can be blinkered, which isn't a good thing, but it keeps us cocooned and safe.

There's an old adage, no one likes change, but for the sake of the scene we must move forward, it's just that no one has come up with the ideal way, that most of us elderly bus pass types can accept :thumbsup:

link

Agree Winnie, but obviously some people attended there first venue all those years ago and immediatley became experts on everything ! rolleyes.gif

No learning curve or anything, but they forget this and preach.

I said this on another thread in a joke with Soulsville. But this time It's true. 'We were all div's once.' Give new blood a chance, don't take the piss, make them welcome , like somebody once did you.

Social source share

Guest mattmale

I found a couple of girls at school with the CD that came out a few months back, and they were really into it. It didn't matter to them that it was ad music. Mind you after i'd bored them shitless for an hour about other stuff they should listen to i think they binned it... rolleyes.gif

Social source share

The point I wanna make above everything, is geneal types (shant call them citizens) looking at those adds and pouring scourn over the music, "my mum would listen to that" "fast food ads is all it's good for"  that kind of thing, I feel protective, it's not that I want to keep it all to myself as someone said earlier, I just don't want it dissed by no nothings that don't wanna be converts, they just think Drum & Base is better and I disagree.  They've never experienced an uplifting stormer of the same quality as we have at 5:48am.  To judge it on a chicken ad, just aint fair.

link

The thing is though Ian, hundreds of people haven't been pouring through the doors due to these ads, but it might have been the catalyst for two or three people to hunt down a cd in HMV or check out a soul night.

You either have soul in you or you dont. A tv add cant give you that but it can help find it for those that do!

Social source share

Agree Winnie, but obviously some people attended there first venue all those years ago and immediatley became experts on everything ! rolleyes.gif

I said  this on another thread in a joke with Soulsville. But this time It's true. 'We were all div's once.' Give new blood a chance, don't take the piss, make them welcome , like somebody once did you.

link

Winnie, thats not you as in you, but people in general.

Steve

Social source share

It doesnt matter in the slightest if KFC use rare soul to sell chicken in my opinion. Firstly it has been maybe 2 years since they began the campaign and it has made no difference to our scene whatsoever. Has anyone genuinely met someone at a soul event who has decided to check out a rare soul event since seeing the ads? I would be surprised if anyone has. To most people these songs are forgotten about once Coronation Street returns to the screen.

KFC will be changing their campaign soon like all the major companies do and the rare soul element will be gone forever.

Shane

link

It bloody well has made a difference rolleyes.gif:thumbsup: Flirtations 60 odd quid for a record that should be less than a tenner! Bobby Garrett fetched ridiculous money and still see for £50 :wicked: Even good ole Frank Bloody Wilson fetched over £400 on JM auction :shades:

Social source share

Agree Winnie, but obviously some people attended there first venue all those years ago and immediatley became experts on everything ! :wicked:

I said  this on another thread in a joke with Soulsville. But this time It's true. 'We were all div's once.' Give new blood a chance, don't take the piss, make them welcome , like somebody once did you.

link

===========

Yeah that's a good point, we all came in somewhere, and knew nothing, but we've also stayed, even those of us who had a break. Maybe that's the point which needs proving, that the latest influx will stay the course. I'm not saying that they won't, but those who treated northern as a fad during the 70Ts, moved onto Punk when that became popular. I suppose we don't want to see the same thing again rolleyes.gif

Hindsight eh.....it's a wonderful thing :thumbsup:

Winnie:-)

Social source share

I agree with Wendy about people getting into northern soul on their own. I can relate because, where I live, it's extremely unpopular. I've practically been my own one-person northen soul scene for years. That makes it sincere for people in my opinion, because the music comes first and they're not checking with anyone to see if it's the "right" and "in" thing to do. The music gets to you and that's it. That's great when people of any age want to go and seek it out, even if it was on a KFC advert.

I also agree with Sam about getting a real charge out of northern soul getting a little exposure in the everyday world. It can feel great to hear your great music being played on a level of exposure with great magnitude. At least it was northern and not some other crap, like it easily could have been.

And then, I can sympathize with Ian's distaste for great music that we all love being used to peddle fast food to people. Since I'm a graphic designer and have dealt with marketing issues directly, I think to myself KFC and KTF are worlds apart and have no connection. These are just nothing more than the workings of people looking at the population like statistics and trying virtually anything to get people's attention. There's no creativity there. Let's just say someone used "Pyramid" by Soul Brothers, Inc. to sell fine jewelry with images of a man and woman making a commitment to each other or something like that...Then it would actually make sense lyrically, you could respect the sentiment, and understand the musical and visual concepts.

But I have major hatred for the mass media as it is. Fast food and TV are hazardous to your health. The only difference is one is filled with harmful chemicals and one is filled with lies. Either way, your brain or your stomach can turn to mush.

KTF

Jas

Social source share

I agree with Wendy about people getting into northern soul on their own. I can relate because, where I live, it's extremely unpopular. I've practically been my own one-person northen soul scene for years. That makes it sincere for people in my opinion, because the music comes first and they're not checking with anyone to see if it's the "right" and "in" thing to do. The music gets to you and that's it. That's great when people of any age want to go and seek it out, even if it was on a KFC advert.

I also agree with Sam about getting a real charge out of northern soul getting a little exposure in the everyday world. It can feel great to hear your great music being played on a level of exposure with great magnitude. At least it was northern and not some other crap, like it easily could have been.

And then, I can sympathize with Ian's distaste for great music that we all love being used to peddle fast food to people. Since I'm a graphic designer and have dealt with marketing issues directly, I think to myself KFC and KTF are worlds apart and have no connection. These are just nothing more than the workings of people looking at the population like statistics and trying virtually anything to get people's attention. There's no creativity there. Let's just say someone used "Pyramid" by Soul Brothers, Inc. to sell fine jewelry with images of a man and woman making a commitment to each other or something like that...Then it would actually make sense lyrically, you could respect the sentiment, and understand the musical and visual concepts.

But I have major hatred for the mass media as it is. Fast food and TV are hazardous to your health. The only difference is one is filled with harmful chemicals and one is filled with lies. Either way, your brain or your stomach can turn to mush.

KTF

Jas

link

I bet the artists would have loved Kentucky to use their songs to promote its product in the sixties !

Social source share

I could really care less what people think of this music "outside" of the folks who live, eat and breathe the scene........We love the music and all the social life that revolves around it, don't give a toss about TV....Hell i'm to busy listening to music ...................If some person young or old gets a taste for this sound through an advert then brilliant....i am certain that the original artists would have loved their music to be appreciated by as many people as possible.

Social source share

I could really care less what people think of this music "outside" of the folks who live, eat and breathe the scene........We love the music and all the social life that revolves around it, don't give a toss about TV....Hell i'm to busy listening to music ...................If some person young or old gets a taste for this sound through an advert then brilliant....i am certain that the original artists would have loved their music to be appreciated by as many people as possible.

link

rolleyes.gif:thumbsup::wicked:

Social source share

link

Totally agree with you brett. rolleyes.gif

Social source share

It bloody well has made a difference  rolleyes.gif   :thumbsup:   Flirtations 60 odd quid for a record that should be less than a tenner! 

link

Handy when you have a spare copy to sell.. hehe :wicked:

I've tried to explain 'what northern is' to people at work etc by talking about the KFC ads and most have no idea what I'm on about so I can't see it being a major influence in getting people into soul! Maybe a few, and if so, great - those who don't have the right mind-set for the scene won't stick around long... those who find they like travelling up and down the country, staying up all night etc will. :shades:

Social source share

link

The voice of reason as always, Brett. Couldn't agree more rolleyes.gif:thumbsup:

And while we are touching the subject of getting new faces on the scene, I think there are some that should question their attitudes to this.

Last year I took my 18yo son and his girlfriend to what I consider to be one of the better soul nights in the midlands. They both enjoy the music, they observed the etiquette re the dancefloor and were enjoying dancing unobtrusively in a back corner of the dancefloor when some overcooked soulie took the hump at them dancing together and crossed the floor to push my son off!!

Needless to say the arsehole will not do it again while I'm there, but the sad thing is neither of the youngsters have wanted to return to our "friendly" NS scene :angry:

Social source share

no one has really took the time to think what the artists might think about this its just selfish to say we dont want these records played played anywhere but 'our scene' most of the singers on northern soul records have made nothing from the northern soul scene,and for once these artists will get paid,and when they get thier cheques i for one hope they bathe in champagne lord knows they deserve it!

Social source share

no one has really took the time to think what the artists might think about this its just selfish to say we dont want these records played played anywhere but 'our scene' most of the singers on northern soul records have made nothing from the northern soul scene,and for once these artists will get paid,and when they get thier cheques i for one hope they bathe in champagne lord knows they deserve it!

link

========

what an excellent post!

Social source share

You may be slightly missing the point Paul if you'll forgive me for saying so. Anyone who warms to good soul music has good taste in my opinion, thats fine. It's not new listeners that trouble me, it's the corporate grease peddlers. :D

link

[/quote

Your first post on this thread stated you'd been into all this for 20 years, now you're saying you've been into it for a year!

Getting back to the point of this thread, if the KFC ads were professionally prepared by the "corporate grease peddlers", I am hoping that the artists concerned might at least have got some royalties out of it. If they have, it's a damn sight more than any of them got out of the Northern scene with its godawful reputation for bootlegging, non-payment of royalties and generally ripping people off!! If Frank Wilson got some bucks for his 45 being used, that's fine by me 'cause he sure got tiddley squatt for it before.

Social source share

You may be slightly missing the point Paul if you'll forgive me for saying so. Anyone who warms to good soul music has good taste in my opinion, thats fine. It's not new listeners that trouble me, it's the corporate grease peddlers. :D

link

[/quote

Your first post on this thread stated you'd been into all this for 20 years, now you're saying you've been into it for a year!

No it was PAUL who has been into it for a year, I was replying to his thread, I have been on the scene for over twenty years. :D

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I'd be pretty sure Frank Wilson (Motown), and Laura Green (RCA), would definetly be getting a pretty penny from the ads. As for Bobby Garett (Mirwood), I'd be less confident. Off the top of my head I cant remember the other tracks used.

If a major label has any of it's artists used on an advert, I'd be pretty sure they would collect any royalties. Especially as sales are less and less, airplay royalties are becomming more important to them.

What about the AXA ad that used the tune from Sam Fletcher? I think it may even have been 'a cover', ie not the original band. Who benefits from that? Apart from AXA, who I have just mentioned here. :D

Social source share

link

Totally agree, the artists deserve the credits, we should support them in whatever form, so I hope you're all queuing up for your 70's Soul Jam tickets :D

Social source share

I was seeing a girl in the early part of last year. When I told her put a bit of a 'night' on in Leeds, she asked what sort of night it was.

'Northern Soul' I told her, but was met with blank looks. I said come down and see what it was all about.

After about 1/2 hour I asked her what she thought. 'KFC Music' was the reply.

I admit to feeling a little riled, whether that anger comes from searching for and collecting records I don't know. But if I'm honest, labeling the music I love and cherish as 'KFC Music' smarted a bit. After that initial thought died down, I sort of thought that to anyone who didn't know what it was, then that's how you would probably describe it. No big deal.

I know this has been covered many times, but I think that people change their views when they start collecting records. You become serious and obsessive. When you just listen, dance to and enjoy the music, you're not as protective of the 'scene' and 'music'.

Whether I like it or not, collecting records has changed my outlook on the scene. I can see changes in me that I'm not necessarily happy about. And remember music that I enjoyed before I started buying, consider as played-out now. Pretty sad, but that's just how I am. My personal view, but once you start buying, it turns you into a sad b'stard tongue.gif:D

Maybe I can justify it a little bit by saying that my 'appetite' is only quenched now by hearing new and underplayed sounds. I'm only just scratching the surface of the music, there's people on this site who've forgotten more than I'll ever know about the music, labels, artists etc. I think Steve (BLADEFORLIFE) touched on that earlier, where I personally feel a little embarrased sometimes by my lack of knowledge.

And as my Uncle, Cato Phong used to say: 'The Longest Journey Begins With A Single Step'

As a final note, I enjoy being on a scene and classed as a 'Young 'Un' at 30 years old, not a lot of scenes where that's gonna happen! except maybe Rock & Roll :yes::D:Dyes.gif

Jamie (Young 'Un)

Social source share

[quote=Soulsville,Jan 21 2005, 11:14 AM

I'm only just scratching the surface of the music, there's people on this site who've forgotten more than I'll ever know about the music, labels, artists etc. I think Steve (BLADEFORLIFE) touched on that earlier, where I personally feel a little embarrased sometimes by my lack of knowledge.

No need to be embarrassed Jamie, 3 years or 30 on the scene, theres still lots to learn/hear etc.

NOBODY knows everything (Except PeteS obviously :D ). If you are still learning, surely thats where you derive the enjoyment.

Steve

Social source share

No need to be embarrassed Jamie, 3 years or 30 on the scene, theres still lots to learn/hear etc.

NOBODY knows everything (Except PeteS obviously :D ). If you are still learning, surely thats where you derive the enjoyment.

Well said Steve :D

Social source share

Cheers Guys,

But being able to laugh about myself is as important as anything else. You can't take yourself seriously, or I suppose you'll end up paranoid biggrin.gif

I am enjoying learning, finding and hearing new music. Some of if most of you will know, but I wasn't there first time.

So I spose it's my fault for being too young!!!

....Now where did I leave my Chav cap & Burberry Scarf - I may be pushing 30 but I want to dress like a teenager and pretend I've still got it :D:D:D

Social source share

As a final note, I enjoy being on a scene and classed as a 'Young 'Un' at 30 years old, not a lot of scenes where that's gonna happen! except maybe Rock & Roll  tongue.gif   :D   :D   :D

Jamie (Young 'Un)

link

I for one am thoroughly annoyed and irritated by Soulsville....30 years old and a better record collection than mine of 24 years :yes:yes.gif

Ps.......The drinks are on you tonight Mr H..........

Social source share

I for one am thoroughly annoyed and irritated by Soulsville....30 years old and a better record collection than mine of 24 years :D   :D

Ps.......The drinks are on you tonight Mr H..........

link

Bullsh*t, and well you know it. yes.gif

Me get the first in??? You're kidding right?? You're probably sat in there now you lunatic :Dsad.gif

When I get there, the 'Baltika' is on me. (First one anyway!!)

See you soon

J

Social source share

Maybe I can justify it a little bit by saying that my 'appetite' is only quenched now by hearing new and underplayed sounds. I'm only just scratching the surface of the music, there's people on this site who've forgotten more than I'll ever know about the music, labels, artists etc. I think Steve (BLADEFORLIFE) touched on that earlier, where I personally feel a little embarrased sometimes by my lack of knowledge.

Jamie (Young 'Un)

link

Sympathise with you here, been into it about the same length of time as you and there are times when I really wish I'd been around for it all 'back then', it can be frustrating hearing what you missed out on and feeling that you'll never know as much - on the other hand it's great knowing that there is still so much out there still to get to know and hear :D

Not sure if it's record buying that makes you crave new sounds all the time, I think it's just in your character (and dare I say - not having been there at the time - I always got the impression that it's one of the things the scene was built on, the desire for new and different sounds).... or maybe I'm a sad b*stard too and just don't want to admit it :D:D

Rach (slightly younger 'un)

Social source share

Not sure if it's record buying that makes you crave new sounds all the time, I think it's just in your character (and dare I say - not having been there at the time - I always got the impression that it's one of the things the scene was built on, the desire for new and different sounds)....  or maybe I'm a sad b*stard too and just don't want to admit it  :D   :D

Rach (slightly younger 'un)

link

Hi Rachel, nice to speak to you.

Not very good at getting across what I'm trying to say, but I really meant that once you start collecting you sort of become more 'protective' of the music.

I agree with you when you say it's down to the individual as regards his/hers direction in music. Some people are happy to listen to the same few hundred tracks, and that's fine by me. Don't get me wrong, I love most of them myself. It just seems like 'playing safe' to me, listening to what you already know and not prepared to listen to anything else and branding any record you don't know as 'obsure'. That's a different subject, but one that I'm passionate about.

Back to my point, anyone else agree that once you cross the line of collecting, it's a whole new ballgame????

Jamie :D

Social source share

Not very good at getting across what I'm trying to say, but I really meant that once you start collecting you sort of become more 'protective' of the music.

I think I know what you mean :D I suppose when you start collecting it's a step 'deeper' into the whole thing, and sometimes you can take yourself a bit too seriously! :D

I agree with you when you say it's down to the individual as regards his/hers direction in music. Some people are happy to listen to the same few hundred tracks, and that's fine by me. Don't get me wrong, I love most of them myself. It just seems like 'playing safe' to me, listening to what you already know and not prepared to listen to anything else and branding any record you don't know as 'obsure'. That's a different subject, but one that I'm passionate about.

Absolutely agree with you here, whatever music I've been into have always wanted to keep hearing new things... maybe partly to do with the 'retro' side of the scene that was being discussed in another thread that some people do just want to reminisce and hear their old favourites. Of course doesn't apply to everyone, and I have great respect for those that have been doing this for years and are still searching for new sounds... but perhaps in general it's easier to be open-minded when you don't have such a long 'history' on the scene, when you don't always know when and how much something was played and take them more on face value... I'm not sure :D

Social source share

I've had enough of people talking about new faces on the scene because of chicken adverts - what about me? I went to KFC yesterday for the first time in years - purely on the strength of this thread!

I thought the 'tower zinger meal' was agreeable - perhaps a bit too much spice on it though.

Hammy

Social source share

I've had enough of people talking about new faces on the scene because of chicken adverts - what about me? I went to KFC yesterday for the first time in years - purely on the strength of this thread!

I thought the 'tower zinger meal' was agreeable - perhaps a bit too much spice on it though.

Hammy

link

You're doomed... it's the start of an addiction - you'll forever be broke, travelling all day to track down that rare meal that's only available in a small branch in a small town in Yorkshire, staying up all night to fulfill your cravings, meeting other addicts in old miners clubs to eat and discuss the latest 'crispy coating' finds.... :D

Social source share

You're doomed... it's the start of an addiction - you'll forever be broke, travelling all day to track down that rare meal that's only available in a small branch in a small town in Yorkshire, staying up all night to fulfill your cravings, meeting other addicts in old miners clubs to eat and discuss the latest 'crispy coating' finds....  :D

link

Yeah - I spent most of the time licking my fingers and dipping into a bag for more.

The buzz was incredible - must be the chive dip.

Hammy

Social source share

the chive dip.

link

Is that a new dance move? How do you incorporate it with the 'elephant on rollerskates' and 'midtempo one-armed rowing'? :D

Social source share

Hammy

link

I met a girl in KFC once. She was well up for it!

I was onto the tender thighs, then the juicy breasts and then I put my greasy bone in her bucket. :D

Shane

Social source share

I met a girl in KFC once. She was well up for it!

I was onto the tender thighs, then the juicy breasts and then I put my greasy bone in her bucket.  :D

Shane

link

Did you blow her up in the restaurant ? :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert