Early 6ts/100 Club Membership List - Wot Number U Got?

Guest woolie mark

• Replies 96
  • Views 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

my memberships number 31 i was there on the very first night of the 6ts in covent garden circa 79 , cant remember the name of the pub .?? the first cards were plain white before getting replaced by the familiar folding one .also had many a great night at west hampstead , the railway pre 100 club days

Blimey Tony I was there on the first night as well, how come we've avoided bumping into each other all those years ( or was that on purpose :thumbsup:biggrin.gif ? )

I've also got the Yate anniversary ticket Nos 001 & 002 how sad is that ...mind you I'd probably been hanging around for about 3 hours wacko.gif

Did have my orange card to hand a few weeks ago but I must have put it into "storage" pretty sure it was either 54 or 56. Also have a white one which I'll have to dig out & check :wave:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

hi donna

thanks for that - i kinda figured already that the list won't be 100% chronological, but i'll carry on cos i think it will still be fun to see how many of the first 1000 numbers we can get and whether we can get some more interesting memorabilia/photos posted up - and we've already got a few names for some of the gaps - perhaps i'll go back to the list later on and try to separate out the white cards (please tell me if you've got a white card)

perhaps we could have a reunion? theres 10 on the list so far.......so thats already a lock-out at some of andy bb's venues! :wave:

would you ask ady if there's any significance in the colour of the folded cards please

bw thumbsup.gif

Mine is either 27, 227 or 277 - that was for the 100 club and I think it was light blue or orange.

The West Hampstead one - blimey - I can't remember. BUT the Trevor Wyatt membership on the front of the Kent LP 'Right Back Where we Started From' is my hand writing as I think I had to nominate a member or something weird. Ady will remember... :thumbsup: Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Mines a white fold-over card, the numbers 2693 (around 1983 or before?). Once saw two lasses out of Banarnarama down down there, I wonder what numbers they where?

I seem to remember a night at the club (Empress Club ?) in Dover St (?) just off Piccadilly....and a couple of the birds from Bananadrama being there. I was dancing and Tony Rounce was on the mike.... :wave: There were also bellboys on rollerskates......and I PROMISE that I wasn't on that many drugs :thumbsup: Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

The ol' membership card's definitley gone west, but here's a couple of relevant photos.

This one was taken inside Henry's in Maiden Lane, shortly after I'd done the first ever DJ spot at a 6T's dance. I'm the amourous looking streak of p*ss in the middle. The other two are girls:

...and this one was taken the following day, outside "The Shakespeare's Head" - later rechristened 'The Shakespeare's Swede". I don't think Randy had come down from the euphoria of the night before. Note how Mr. Andrew is doing his best to pretend that he has no idea who that person is, while Russ 'Wuffer' Taylor is doing his best to escape from the shot before becoming guilty by association...

...memories of the way we were...

TONE

Tony, the girl in the red jumper looks like someone called Lisa and the other on in black looks like Ann Marie....I lived at her flat. She was a dancer and used to turn up occassionally with me and Martin Bishop. But then again, I could be wrong. But, be very afraid - I have found THE photos of you with blond spikey hair and playing air saxophone :wave: I will be scanning soon :thumbsup: Jo

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I seem to remember a night at the club (Empress Club ?) in Dover St (?) just off Piccadilly....and a couple of the birds from Bananadrama being there. I was dancing and Tony Rounce was on the mike.... :wave: There were also bellboys on rollerskates......and I PROMISE that I wasn't on that many drugs biggrin.gif Jo

Wasn't this the night that Ady and I DJ'd with Edwin Starr? I recall that it was a Maundy Thursday and that everything had to finish by 12 due to the wretched Lord's Day Observance Society sticking their unwanted oar in.

I would imagine that the 'Nana's had low membership numbers, I don't think that they were too good at recognising anything past double figures. I remember one of them threatening to lamp me at a private end of tour party I did for the Jam in '81, at what used to be the Greyhound in Fulham Palace Road, after I played the Velvelettes 'Bird In The Hand' and prefaced it with a comment along the lines of "Here's one for Bananarama, in the name of God please don't ruin this one as well..."

Controversy, shmontroversy...

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Wasn't this the night that Ady and I DJ'd with Edwin Starr? I recall that it was a Maundy Thursday and that everything had to finish by 12 due to the wretched Lord's Day Observance Society sticking their unwanted oar in.

I would imagine that the 'Nana's had low membership numbers, I don't think that they were too good at recognising anything past double figures. I remember one of them threatening to lamp me at a private end of tour party I did for the Jam in '81, at what used to be the Greyhound in Fulham Palace Road, after I played the Velvelettes 'Bird In The Hand' and prefaced it with a comment along the lines of "Here's one for Bananarama, in the name of God please don't ruin this one as well..."

TONE :wave:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tony, the girl in the red jumper looks like someone called Lisa and the other on in black looks like Ann Marie....I lived at her flat. She was a dancer and used to turn up occassionally with me and Martin Bishop. But then again, I could be wrong. But, be very afraid - I have found THE photos of you with blond spikey hair and playing air saxophone :wave: I will be scanning soon :thumbsup: Jo

Jo, they were definitely girls who Ady I knew from a broader social circle. They were not from the scene, and by the time of 'you and Martin' they had long disappered from 6Ts - in fact, they may well have only ever gone to the first 'do'.

Any resemblance to dancers called Lisa is totally coincidental....

...Actually, i think that the blonde one was called Sally - but like I say, Ady will be able to say for sure if he looks at this thread at any time...

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

TONE :wave:

Yep, it was the Edwin gig, and Harold Melvin & the bluenotes turned up and backed Edwin on 'War'. I've got pictures of Keith Minshull, Steve G with Harold holding a copy of Blackbeat....and I snuggled up to Teddy P on his crutches - well, he couldn't run from me in that condition :thumbsup: He had a couple of utter babes with him in red ruched dresses, long long red talons and jerry curl hair........I think I've also got a photo of Edwin in his catsuit....

Was this a 6Ts one off? Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Jo, they were definitely girls who Ady I knew from a broader social circle. They were not from the scene, and by the time of 'you and Martin' they had long disappered from 6Ts - in fact, they may well have only ever gone to the first 'do'.

Any resemblance to dancers called Lisa is totally coincidental....

...Actually, i think that the blonde one was called Sally - but like I say, Ady will be able to say for sure if he looks at this thread at any time...

Hmm...then Ann Marie has a body double....strangely, I met Martin at the gig in Covent Garden but that's another story :wave: AM deffo went to West Hampstead and caused quite a stir with her mashed potato :thumbsup: Jo

Social source share

Guest toby

A question for Tony Rounce..

Do you remember the 1st anniversary news letter produced by the late Randy Cozens.

It featured the DJs names ..

Dick Sniff(Mick smith), Dandy Snezoc(Randy Cozens), Harbra horace (Ady), Clark Bent(Ian Clarke), Groany Relish(Tony Ellis), Neat Witherspoon(Pete Widdison),& yourgood self Boney Rancid(Tony Rounce).

All done in the style of the Mafia faces at the time,along with Don Cluck(Jon Buck),and Tic-Toc)Ian Popple..

Great Days eh !!..

post-505-1179940551_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Brent Howarth ran it, originally from Bolton, Malc Burton on here had a hand in a couple as well, great venue :thumbsup:

Funny, Alan H mentioned this a couple of days ago and remembers djing down there. I remember Brent who lived in Strood and he used to come into the record shop that I ran. I wonder what happened to him. All the lot that used to go to the Broadstairs Pavillion & Margate scouthut do's went to the Herne Bay do's along with the Canterbury/ Sittingbourne/ Medway lot....the venue is gorgeous and it would be great to have another allnighter there :shades: Jo

Social source share

here's mine (haven't uploaded a scan before so not sure if this will work):

mines like yours Mark, and I'm number 401

my scanner is still at the repairers, but will get round to scanning it for you if and when I remember!

Social source share

Funny, Alan H mentioned this a couple of days ago and remembers djing down there. I remember Brent who lived in Strood and he used to come into the record shop that I ran. I wonder what happened to him. All the lot that used to go to the Broadstairs Pavillion & Margate scouthut do's went to the Herne Bay do's along with the Canterbury/ Sittingbourne/ Medway lot....the venue is gorgeous and it would be great to have another allnighter there :shades: Jo

Brent is back up north, next time I see ya , I'll fill you in, nice guy :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

For a couple of days I have been wondering where my membership card is.....just looked up from my desk and there it was on my noticeboard.....no 334.

I was quite impressed actually...it was my second card and I thought it might have been a later/higher number.......it's a yellow un.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tony, the girl in the red jumper looks like someone called Lisa and the other on in black looks like Ann Marie...

Jo -

Ady's just confirmed that their names were Sally (on my left) and Kath (on my right). They were just a couple of girls we knew socially, they went to University College and had a flat in Eversholt Street, right opposite Euston Station. Could still be there for all we know!

They came to the first couple of dances, but we lost contact with them, as you do.

Somewhere in my meagre pile of snapshots I have a picture of Martin B and Simon Shurville dancing. Not together, you'll be glad to know...

See you over the weekend, I'm sure. If you play that bloody Dells record again I shall walk straight out of the room, though... :boxing:

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

I seem to remember a night at the club (Empress Club ?) in Dover St (?) just off Piccadilly....and a couple of the birds from Bananadrama being there. I was dancing and Tony Rounce was on the mike.... :boxing: There were also bellboys on rollerskates......and I PROMISE that I wasn't on that many drugs :unsure: Jo

I think that must have been the Embassy club, had lots of laughs down there in the eighties. Weirdest soul do in London had to be sensible soul alldayer at Heaven, mid eighties, remember the mirrored urinals in the gents freaking a few soulies out.

Don't think the nanas would have held bothered holding onto their memberships somehow !!!

Social source share

Ooooh nice one! I have my membership card tucked nice and safe in an old photo album............... I have just had the rollicking of my life off our lass as I am pulling the place apart looking for the album, can't find it!! But I will!!!!!

Drummonds, The 100 Club and of course The Unicorn Club in Leighton Buzzard oh and Buzzards Hall?? My early Army days where spent in London, fookin happy daze!!!!

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I think that must have been the Embassy club, had lots of laughs down there in the eighties. Weirdest soul do in London had to be sensible soul alldayer at Heaven, mid eighties, remember the mirrored urinals in the gents freaking a few soulies out.

Don't think the nanas would have held bothered holding onto their memberships somehow !!!

Embassy - that's the one.... thumbsup.gif

mirrored urinals - whatever next :shades: Enough to give you the willies..... :rolleyes: Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Jo -

Somewhere in my meagre pile of snapshots I have a picture of Martin B and Simon Shurville dancing. Not together, you'll be glad to know...

That would be interesting to see....

See you over the weekend, I'm sure. If you play that bloody Dells record again I shall walk straight out of the room, though... wicked.gif

Sadly no. I'm moving this weekend so I have had to cancel all social engagements :( But a lucky reprieve for you, eh :shades: Have a good one :rolleyes: Jo

Social source share

Guest SteveC

The 405 is my 2nd issue (1988, yellow cover) God knows where the orig 1st issue went but I do recall it was white on the front.

The other 2 are Carole's 1st issues - Both white covers. Like many she has 2 ?? :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Wuffer's alive and well, and living in what he described to me as 'God' Own Country', but as he then went on to tell me that it was Manchester I can only assume that he was having a laugh... :thumbsup:

I haven't seen him in decades myself. He came down to London, about two years ago, to see the Stooges at Hammersmith Odeon (or whatever it's called now). I went to the same show, but we never had the time to meet up. However, prompted by your comments I'm going to send him an e-mail this week and try to set something up for next time I'm in M/CR...

Social source share

Blimey Tony I was there on the first night as well, how come we've avoided bumping into each other all those years ( or was that on purpose :P:rolleyes: ? )

I've also got the Yate anniversary ticket Nos 001 & 002 how sad is that ...mind you I'd probably been hanging around for about 3 hours wacko.gif

Did have my orange card to hand a few weeks ago but I must have put it into "storage" pretty sure it was either 54 or 56. Also have a white one which I'll have to dig out & check :wicked:

Checked & it's 56, found the white one & it's the same (as everybody else has mentioned)

Social source share

Yes certainly a strange one this, Freddie Mercury lookalike barstaff, the mirrowed urinals hmm :wicked:

Also the toilets were labelled (I'm sure) Male & Non-Male ! Stands to reason I guess given their normal clientele.

Bizarely also remember falling asleep on the train home & waking up in Petts Wood without any money & no way of getting home except walking. Proved a little difficult as I'd never been to Petts Wood in my life & had no idea how to get home :P

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest vinylvixen

Found it...it's 244 on an orange membership where the front is one way up and the inside is the other way up!! I can't find my West Hampstead card but I'll keep on looking. I've also found all my early 100 Club and assorted soul venue snaps from the 7Ts/ 8Ts and I'll be scanning them soon :thumbsup: Toodle pip. Jo

Social source share

• 6 months later...

Funny, Alan H mentioned this a couple of days ago and remembers djing down there. I remember Brent who lived in Strood and he used to come into the record shop that I ran. I wonder what happened to him. All the lot that used to go to the Broadstairs Pavillion & Margate scouthut do's went to the Herne Bay do's along with the Canterbury/ Sittingbourne/ Medway lot....the venue is gorgeous and it would be great to have another allnighter there :unsure: Jo

It was right on the beach, I went to 2 of them in 1988 or 89, numbers were good to start but by the last one I went to they'd had to draw a huge curtain across half of the hall to make it look like there were more people in (in other words, reduce the size by 50%). Jon Buck always used to dj there. I remember seein Kim Styles there and I went with Anton, Brent Howarth ripped me off over a record and still owes me the thieving ****. I also saw the best dancer I've ever seen there, never saw him again...

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I seem to remember a night at the club (Empress Club ?) in Dover St (?) just off Piccadilly....and a couple of the birds from Bananadrama being there. I was dancing and Tony Rounce was on the mike.... :thumbsup: There were also bellboys on rollerskates......and I PROMISE that I wasn't on that many drugs :thumbsup: Jo

Keren used to come to the Unicorn in Bristol before she had sucess as a singer. She was always well modded up, but from what I remember was more of a Who or Ronettes type fan than an out and out soul fan.

She had a bit of a dust up in the Green Rooms just over the road one night. I remember the locomotion playing as the kerfuffle started, it all went south when the record finished and one of Keren's supporters used the type of insult, to her opponent, that an Indian cricketer would blush at.

Social source share

Great thread, I'll scan my no. up later from early 1988. The 100 Club was the FIRST soul event I'd been too outside of Bristol - what an introduction to rare soul eh?

Incidently we got the date wrong on the first visit and turned up on SATURDAY morning circa 1am after travelling Friday night on the train, hanging around various places cos we had no money before going in. :thumbsup:

After 30 minutes of rock and roll music we realised we had it wrong - GUTTED. sad.gif

Then had to wait from 3am til 8am in the freezing cold at the train station before getting home at about 11am to crawl into bed.

Still went the next night though and had a blinding time - the era of "Torture", "Pyramid", Maurice McAllister and Butchs cover ups. I still reckon the basement is the ONLY way to hear Mel Britt cos the sound bounces off all the walls and sounds totally different to anywhere else. God I loved this time - got plenty of live tapes I used to do to try and relive the music and learn what the hell was being played! Happy times. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I've only got a couple of membership cards left from my soul days - 6T's and the Casino. The rest have been mouldering in some landfill site near Southampton for about 25 years waiting for Tony Robinson to excavate them in a couple of 100 years time.

Memories are a little bit vague but I remember going to the Railway at West Hampstead probably in '79 on the recommendation of Jon 'Shay' Richardson, Jackie Patmore and Pete Widdison and finding it a refreshing change from the overplayed Northern 'Oldies' that were on the scene at the time. Also went to the 100 Club before the 'Nighters and the Notre Dame Hall in Leicester Square.

Left Southampton back in '82 and haven't been to a 6Ts since.

Here's a scan of the 6T's card (no. 48).

post-10098-1200049585_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

I've only got a couple of membership cards left from my soul days - 6T's and the Casino. The rest have been mouldering in some landfill site near Southampton for about 25 years waiting for Tony Robinson to excavate them in a couple of 100 years time.

Memories are a little bit vague but I remember going to the Railway at West Hampstead probably in '79 on the recommendation of Jon 'Shay' Richardson, Jackie Patmore and Pete Widdison and finding it a refreshing change from the overplayed Northern 'Oldies' that were on the scene at the time. Also went to the 100 Club before the 'Nighters and the Notre Dame Hall in Leicester Square.

Left Southampton back in '82 and haven't been to a 6Ts since.

Here's a scan of the 6T's card (no. 48).

thats remarkably similar to me and given that my membership no is only two away from yours as well. Lived in london 79 to 84 - used to go to West Hampstead, and living in Brixton used to catch the old 159 all the way.

don't think I have been back to the 100 since i left london, though maybe once or twice back in the mid 80's.

Social source share

The first design was totally different as shown on the cover of the Right Back Where We Started From, then Clarkie did a new design and we stuck with that for a few years, changing colours when we ran out. At some stage in the 80s we started up the numbering system again so I'm afraid the first 300 originals will all be on the one-sided oblong ones.

==============================================================================

My card is number 20, im afraid i cant do the downloady thing unsure.gif I think i picked it up at 'Henry's' in Covent garden, if Toby is 26 then that follows 'cos a group of us used to travel from Letchworth including my ex-Dave, Taff, Chantel and Kev. Anne Chase :thumbsup::unsure:

Social source share

i thought it could be fun to try to make a list of early 100 club memberships, first 1000 only to start off with - scan of card if possible and give me your (real) full name if you want it listed

please keep this thread just to name and membership number, scan of inside of card, any really early photos/flyers, etc, and identifying people in photos - otherwise, if we all start chatting and reminiscing it could all get unmanageablely large and it could take me all day to go through the posts to update the list below

here goes (soul-source name in brackets):

1 - sean adams

7 - (Roddy)

25 - paul toleman (toby)

26 - rob hurcombe (stillsoulin)

31 - tony parker (tony parker)

32 - phil attley (mecca74)

58 - (Steve G)

59 - irene wilmarsh possibly number 56

115 - ritchie andrew (RitchieAndrew)

121 - mark thompson (woolie mark)

126 - (just mo)

177 - john clarke

178 - diane clarke possibly number 176

268 - richard buckley (Rich Buckley)

334 - karen heath (Karen Heath)

310 - gary kingston (Gary Kingston)

359 - nick gilbert (Nickg)

401 - (Kirsty)

450 - steve csordas (SteveC)

502 - geoff buckley (Geoff B )

982 - (billywhizz)

999 - tony rounce (TONY ROUNCE)

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Kim Styles (Kimtheorigiator) my number is 39 biggrin.gif

:thumbsup::) Where did you come from ?

Think mine is from around 85, so quite a late one.

Will dig it out g.gif

Edited by Gavin Page
Social source share

just seen this thread must have missed it when i was offline last year.my number was 16 but some theiving git borrowed all my old memberships and never gave them back.

Edited by taffy
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert