Larry Houston Aka Top Cat

I'd not played this for about 15 years , ( overplayed oldie was in my mind for all that time , so left it off the decks ) but I spun it last night at home and what a record !! .. How much do we know about this artist ..I think I also have a 45 called "Spice" by him

Cheers

Simon

Social source share

• Replies 49
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I think Time Together is a class tune Simon - might have been a bit overplayed in the early 80's but I never tired of hearing it - and as you say still sounds great. I've got the Spice 45 too. Don't know too much else about him. Spice is quite a nice bit of Southern soul.

I seem to recall - although I'm no expert that the Time Together 45 was released twice and that the second press is inferior to the first - I think there are some differences on the label too. As I say I could be mistaken cos I'm not an expert.

Class tune though.

:thumbup:

Social source share

I'm not just saying this for effect but I've been saying it ever since I joined this forum. This is the worst record ever played or ever made. It's worse than Tim Tam. It's worse than Bryan Hyland. It's worse than Micky Mouse Concerto. Records like this ruined Northern Soul and still continue to.

Social source share

I'm not just saying this for effect but I've been saying it ever since I joined this forum. This is the worst record ever played or ever made. It's worse than Tim Tam. It's worse than Bryan Hyland. It's worse than Micky Mouse Concerto. Records like this ruined Northern Soul and still continue to.

Aha Pete - but not worse than the Carstairs then! I knew you'd regret taking that hammer to that piece of vinyl - it's playing on yer mind.

:D

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Yeah! 'sides, it's got awfully complex an' pre-ten-tious an' subversive rhythms, an' it's really hard to dance to an' stuff..... (if you can't actually dance to save your life!) :D

I much prefer the classy flipside anyway nowadays. A lovely mellow beat ballad that has stood the test of time.

Social source share

Hmmm I think Richard Searling gave up on the 60's NS scene , coz he loved soul music like this ( but that boot LP with his top tunes on must of of pushed him a bit too ) :D This record started the Modern Soul scene really , brilliant record ..same with Roy Dawson , Omni , DSOF etc etc

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Hmmm I think Richard Searling gave up on the 60's NS scene , coz of music like this ( but that boot LP with his top tunes on must of of pushed him a bit too ) :D This record started the Modern Soul scene really , brilliant record ..same with Roy Dawson , Omni , DSOF etc etc

Well good riddance, he'd done his bit, he was one of the best 3 ever but obviously when it's time to move on, he made the right decision.

Social source share

Well good riddance, he'd done his bit, he was one of the best 3 ever but obviously when it's time to move on, he made the right decision.

Apparently he still has 60's newies !! . Searling , I have to say it .. Awesome taste in soul ! , thats all that matters IMO :D

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Apparently he still has 60's newies !! . Searling , I have to say it .. Awesome taste in soul ! , thats all that matters IMO :D

Searling is a great man, no doubt about it, and he was a long time hero of mine (still is), but because he changes direction in his music it doesn't follow that I have to go with him -

Social source share

Searling is a great man, no doubt about it, and he was a long time hero of mine (still is), but because he changes direction in his music it doesn't follow that I have to go with him -

I know Pete , dont worry I would never ask that of you :D . So who was your champion after John A got Richard to go Modern ?

Social source share

So whats the details on this all red issue ?

Do a scan of both if i can find em`,not going to look too hard tho`.......still owe a fiver for the red one,and the lad who sold me it,Girl is on here :D just seems everytime i see em`i`m skint,allways Normington :P

Social source share

I'd not played this for about 15 years , ( overplayed oldie was in my mind for all that time , so left it off the decks ) but I spun it last night at home and what a record !! .. How much do we know about this artist ..I think I also have a 45 called "Spice" by him

Cheers

Simon

I went to watch Slave in Glasgow in the early 80's and was reliably informed that Larry was their bass player for that tour - got to meet 'em but didn't get chance to speak directly to him to see if was true or not.

Social source share

I know Pete , dont worry I would never ask that of you :D . So who was your champion after John A got Richard to go Modern ?

That's a good question actually. In the 80's I only went to local things apart from the odd visit to Keele and the 100 Club so I liked people like Ian Clark at the 100, Ted Massey at the Old Vic. I never went to Stafford - not in it's allnighter incarnation anyway, I only went there to alldayers - so I never heard keb and Guy etc but I've certainly heard their records and I loved their attitude, throw away the oldies, go forward with 60's newies. My personal favourite Wigan dj's were Richard, John Vincent and Alan Rhodes, though JV went too soon and AR changed direction..

Social source share

That's a good question actually. In the 80's I only went to local things apart from the odd visit to Keele and the 100 Club so I liked people like Ian Clark at the 100, Ted Massey at the Old Vic. I never went to Stafford - not in it's allnighter incarnation anyway, I only went there to alldayers - so I never heard keb and Guy etc but I've certainly heard their records and I loved their attitude, throw away the oldies, go forward with 60's newies. My personal favourite Wigan dj's were Richard, John Vincent and Alan Rhodes, though JV went too soon and AR changed direction..

You were lucky not to hear all of Guy and Kebs stuff !! .. any of their tunes you can list here you like .. Romance Watson maybe ? :D

Social source share

You were lucky not to hear all of Guy and Kebs stuff !! .. any of their tunes you can list here you like .. Romance Watson maybe ? :D

By the way Ian Clark was a fav of mine great 60's and lots of Modern and of course Glenda .. I used to leave after his spot , as it was all downhill .. I remember people started playing latin stuff too at the 100 club , hmmmm not so good IMO !!

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Now why would you suggest that I like Romance Watson? That's just silly.

Why not...

ROSCOE SHELTON

SAM DEES

GWEN DAVIS

SEQUINS

TOPICS

BOBBY WOMACK

JACKIE BEAVERS

BUNNY SIGLER

CREATIONS

EMPIRES

CHUCK CARTER

INVERTS

GEORGE JACKSON

TEMPTATIONS

etc etc you could go on all day

Social source share

Now why would you suggest that I like Romance Watson? That's just silly.

Why not...

ROSCOE SHELTON

SAM DEES

GWEN DAVIS

SEQUINS

TOPICS

BOBBY WOMACK

JACKIE BEAVERS

BUNNY SIGLER

CREATIONS

EMPIRES

CHUCK CARTER

INVERTS

GEORGE JACKSON

TEMPTATIONS

etc etc you could go on all day

Yeah they did get through a lot of records , cheap stuff too like L Rudolph and Two People on revue

.. Just looking at the New discoveries thread , its very dead . It would of had about 300 replies in 1983/84 ..

ps. what was the Bobby Womack record?

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

"Nothing you can do" on HIM label...very primitive and probably done in retaliation for the Stones nicking It's All Over Now as it starts off with the Satisfaction riff...

Have you got a soundfile you can post me :D refosoul is not working for that !

Social source share

I went to watch Slave in Glasgow in the early 80's and was reliably informed that Larry was their bass player for that tour - got to meet 'em but didn't get chance to speak directly to him to see if was true or not.

V Interesting , any more info anyone?

Social source share

Hi Simon,

"Nothing You Can Do" by Womack was known about (and played) long before Stafford, but that venue certainly gave it more exposure.

The song was done in 1965 and when Womack began writing for Wilson Pickett it was the first of over a dozen Womack tracks that Pickett recorded.

Check the flipside to "Everybody Needs Somebody" for the Pickett version... also attachment to hear!

Don't have the Womack mp3 on this PC.

Sean

Nothing_You_Can_Do___Pickett.mp3

Social source share

Hi Simon,

"Nothing You Can Do" by Womack was known about (and played) long before Stafford, but that venue certainly gave it more exposure.

The song was done in 1965 and when Womack began writing for Wilson Pickett it was the first of over a dozen Womack tracks that Pickett recorded.

Check the flipside to "Everybody Needs Somebody" for the Pickett version... also attachment to hear!

Don't have the Womack mp3 on this PC.

Sean

Thanks for that Sean ! The stafford Womack track for me was "tell me why" :D

Social source share

So whats the details on this all red issue ?

I seem to remember it's a plain red label with black text; always thought it was a boot as opposed to a legit re-issue.

I think it was issued by the label twice, but not sure which was the original and which the re-issue;

One has a light red top and print. LSSTT is all on one line and in capitals and lower case. The matrix stamp ' AUDIO LABS' is on both sides

The other is more orange than red at the top and print. LSSTT  is all in capitals and split over two lines. 'AUDIO LABS' stamp is only on the 'give me something to go on'  A side.

Social source share

post-1986-1186006291_thumb.jpgHere`s a good-un,stamped both sides.......lets spend some time,the label is so off centre it spreads over the playing area,i think alot where like this,sorry cant find me red one,i like it best :D
Social source share

I seem to remember it's a plain red label with black text; always thought it was a boot as opposed to a legit re-issue.

I think it was issued by the label twice, but not sure which was the original and which the re-issue;

One has a light red top and print. LSSTT is all on one line and in capitals and lower case. The matrix stamp ' AUDIO LABS' is on both sides

The other is more orange than red at the top and print. LSSTT  is all in capitals and split over two lines. 'AUDIO LABS' stamp is only on the 'give me something to go on'  A side.

Social source share

Me too - made me realise that there was no point going to allnighters again if this is the sort of thing that was going to be forced upon us

You could of just stuck ya fingers in ya ears Pete .. or walked outside like i did for some of Kebs stuff :D

Social source share

When I tracked down Larry in Waukegan in 1982 he sent me a 25 box, which I sold at the Fleet at 2.50 each. This box contained some with lower case title and a few with upper case title. Therefore I am pretty certain Larry pressed it twice.

Pretty sure I got my copy on a very cold night at the Fleet 1982 :D

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

They weren't boots, they were repressed for me by Larry in the early 80's, between 1,000 and 2,000, can't remember the quantity, probably more like 1,000 than 2,000.

Neil

Which, the plain red label? I have this one somewhere, same value then, about £15-ish?

Ste.

Social source share

Just to some up then - cos I'm thick.

There are two legitimate issues of this - the first issue being the red label and the second issue with the orangey label. Is that correct? And what would you pay for either then - I lost mine - or broke it, and wouldn't mind replacing it?

Social source share

Just to some up then - cos I'm thick.

There are two legitimate issues of this - the first issue being the red label and the second issue with the orangey label. Is that correct? And what would you pay for either then - I lost mine - or broke it, and wouldn't mind replacing it?

You must be :wicked: three issues,red n white;orange n white;and red n red :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert