macca

• Replies 25
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I was listening to this today, being rather partial to the lady.

it sounds like a demo/rehearsal to me. anybody know the story behind it?

Hello,

It isn't really Lorraine Chandler. It was another scam by bootlegger Simon Soussan who got an impostor to sing over the Eddie Parker backing track.

He also did a scam credited to Bob Relf and of course he stole "Double Cookin'", changed the name to "Strings A Go-Go" and credited himself as writer, arranger and producer.

Apart from being such a fraudster, Simon had a serious ego problem. I wonder what he's doing these days?

Paul Mooney

millbrand

P.S. It's ironic that all three songs are now owned / controlled by Millbrand Music.

Social source share

talking about the Lorraine Chandler Black Magic 45.....i suppose SS did that because LC never did a version of LYB so no one would know.....but he used her Giant recording of What Can i do for the B side as it had a legit US release......wonder if she got any royalties off that?...i think.... no.gif

Edited by platters 81
Social source share

talking about the Lorraine Chandler Black Magic 45.....i suppose SS did that because LC never did a version of LYB so no one would know.....but he used her Giant recording of What Can i do for the B side as it had a legit US release......wonder if she got any royalties off that?...i think.... no.gif

She did do LYB as a duet with Eddie Parker which came out of his LP on Blues Gallery in the 80's.

Derek

Social source share

That sounds more like it Neil.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Agree with Neil ; I seem to recall that Saucepan used Shirley Mstthews on the backing track .....

A post / reply at 3.59 AM Seam ?

You up for a feed ?

My excuse at this hour is I have a trapped nerve in my shoulder ( not from carrying my wallet ) , which makes it a bugger to sleep ....

Malc Burton

Social source share

Hello,

It isn't really Lorraine Chandler. It was another scam by bootlegger Simon Soussan who got an impostor to sing over the Eddie Parker backing track.

He also did a scam credited to Bob Relf and of course he stole "Double Cookin'", changed the name to "Strings A Go-Go" and credited himself as writer, arranger and producer.

Apart from being such a fraudster, Simon had a serious ego problem. I wonder what he's doing these days?

Paul Mooney

millbrand

P.S. It's ironic that all three songs are now owned / controlled by Millbrand Music.

"I wonder what he's doing these days?"

He "vanished" after the huge doo-wop collection, that was not. Unsurprisingly i don't think he's been heard of since.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

"I wonder what he's doing these days?"

He "vanished" after the huge doo-wop collection, that was not. Unsurprisingly i don't think he's been heard of since.

Hello,

It sounds like an interesting story, John.

Maybe it's time we had a thread about "the adventures of Simon Soussan".

Paul Mooney

Social source share

I doubt it he said it was Sherlie doing that version of 'My Sugar baby' (I think that's the one) and she denies it.

No surprise there, Ady. Likewise, Lorraine Chandler, Bob Relf and Herb Campbell all deny any dealings with Soussan and in fact had never heard of him.

When these scam records were issued I was just a naive teenager and I bought copies of them all, as did many others. They must have sold thousands in those days.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

I met Soussan in Russ's shop in Wigan when he came over to promote the Blowing My Mind to Peices covers, and I could not believe it when he was very smug when putting one record on the turntable expecting me to be enthusiastic. His version of thumb a Ride. He was quite put out when I told him what I thought of it.

Following on from the Richard Searling thread that has been resurrected. He was always my favourite Wigan Jock, so, I was quite suprised with him as a couple of weeks prior to this, Richard was telling me about 2 great new versions of "Blowing My Mind To pieces" he was getting. When I heard them & knew the source, Mr Searling did go down in my estimation. ..........I don't supposed he noticed though.

paul

Social source share

Whoever did the vocal on Love You Baby has a better voice than Lorraine Chandler....Simon S is probably still around, I'll tell you why, when Ian Levine was running his ANS forum, I made some comment about SS abd something he was meant to have done, and he actually emailed me personally to deny it!

Social source share

Not to mention doing the same on the b-side, the instrumental of The Magicians "Is it all gone", retitled "Love Symphony". How come he got hold of that track?

Isn't the instrumental of Is It All Gone actually issued as the B-side to Double Cookin', and called A Day In Sausalito?

Social source share

Isn't the instrumental of Is It All Gone actually issued as the B-side to Double Cookin', and called A Day In Sausalito?

Yes I think Soussan called it "Love's Symphony" on the Soul Galore scam. And of course he claimed to be the composer, arranger and producer.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

That's the one Gene.

So, what's the score on the vocal over double cookin called "you're the fire" credited to Del Satins featuring Adrienne Williams ? Rumour has always been a S.S. thing. Any actual facts re this ?

pottsy

post-2021-1187615935_thumb.jpg

Social source share

I spoke to Jack Ashford in the seventies when I was importing records - I was after quantity of "There Can Be A Better Way" - The Smith Brothers (the pressing plant was hanging on to them as they had not been paid for and it was all a bit complicated).

I asked Jack about the version of "I Love You baby" credited to Lorraine Chandler and he said that it was not a bootleg as he had been commisoned by Simon Soussan to record it for the Black Magic release but that he (Jack) used another singer on it. I was still writing for Black Echoes at the time so included the name of the singer in a piece I did, I can't remember the name, maybe Paula Buclow or someting similair.I thought it was a good scoop and it is the mag f anyone has back copies.Jack was in LA at the time so it would have been recorded there, with the new vocal over the original backing track.

I think Jack was told it would be released under correct name of the new vocalist- not as Lorraine Chandler. It sounds nothing like Lorraine Chandler so apart from being fraud what was the point?

Incidentally that "My Sugar Baby" - Sherlie Matthews is quite rare - we had 500 45's, all coloured vinyl,from Soussan and he never repressed it, it was typical Simon scam to credit it to Sherlie Matthews.Ian Dewhirst and myself were told he had discovered it in the Mirwood archives and it was Sherlie. That was bullshit,but he did have some kind of deal with Randy Wood for the Mirwood tapes and so the track had some kind of legitimacy, albeit a seventies vocal over a sxities backing track.Typical Simon he comes up with a good idea, makes an OK record and blows it by having to lie about who the artist was.

Neil

Social source share

Hello,

I wonder what he's doing these days?

He's out of the music business, has reverted to an orthodox jew and still lives in LA.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert