1987 Anyone Remember It?

• Replies 79
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

nice to hear from folks who remember the northern scene in the 80s.the record shop near the swan was owned by kev roberts the sleeping giant.im sure as few of you have mentioned if rob mariott was on the scene today he would be in the top 5.the swan was before the trotters.in my opinion the scene as moved on but no way better.i will take it for what it is.but as its always been its still politicol.see you at prestatyn. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

nice to hear from folks who remember the northern scene in the 80s.the record shop near the swan was owned by kev roberts the sleeping giant.im sure as few of you have mentioned if rob mariott was on the scene today he would be in the top 5.the swan was before the trotters.in my opinion the scene as moved on but no way better.i will take it for what it is.but as its always been its still politicol.see you at prestatyn. :ohmy:

link

Best period for for music IMHO the 80's thumbsup.gif Loads of stuff we listened too just waiting to be re-discovered by the returnees of the 90's :huh:

Rob also ran some dayers under his Soul Power banner in Mansfield somehwere, can't remember where, think they were on a Sunday :D

Rob was one of the best at the time IMO, just didn't get the breaks he should have done.

Social source share

nice to hear from folks who remember the northern scene in the 80s.the record shop near the swan was owned by kev roberts the sleeping giant.im sure as few of you have mentioned if rob mariott was on the scene today he would be in the top 5.the swan was before the trotters.in my opinion the scene as moved on but no way better.i will take it for what it is.but as its always been its still politicol.see you at prestatyn. thumbsup.gif

link

Social source share

Guest Ferrett

Ahhhh 1987 - My first proper year on the soul scene!! (god I'm even older than I thought, 18 years ago!!)

Being Midlands based,the Allnighters I remember are Whitchurch Civic (under the Connoiseurs banner) Hinckley and the RSG do's involving Jon Buck (Loughborough, Milton Keynes etc - although may have been a tad later). Also remember lots of mates heading up to Morcambe but never made it myself.

Evening do wise, the biggest draw was the '86 club' at various venues around Bridgnorth. This was largely an oldies event run by John 'Esher' Venn and used to get huge attendances. Live acts appearring there included Willie Clayton and Ronnie McNeir. Heard a rumour Lenny Henry (of Red Nose fame) used to go there but could be urban myth.

Re. Rob Marriott. Remember him clearing many a dancefloor at the Concorde Suite in Droylesden circa 1990 but he was well respected amongst collectors and was indeed well ahead of his time.

Social source share

Remember Trotters very well, hardly missed one...remember Pete Lawson getting barred by the bar staff at one of the days  :(   Was turned into a rave club.

1987 the Winding Wheel all-nighters in Chesterfield were in full swing run by Danny Everard and Dave Thorley. Blackburn and Mexboro' (both Tony's Empress Ballrooms) run by Guy Hennigan.  100 Club doing the business plus loads of one off all-nighters/soul nights.  Got some flyers somewhere for fair few venues from '87.

link

Regular at Trotters as well Chalks (became the home of Renaisance), as well as Rock City soul nights (1 week Modern, next week upfront 60s) AND a round of beer for 50p! (one of the Forest lads served behind the bar :P ).

Around that same time we used to do the Soul Nights in Ripley, thinking back they were, on occasions very well attended.

Chesterfield All-nighters, always had the feeling if they'd gone on they could have been something really special. Local constabulary a bit keen though eh? Remember having Djed at Ripley, driving up the A38 and being jumped on by plod as soon as we arrived in the car park opposite. Wasnt bills over enthusiasm one of the reasons WW closed?

Allenton / Ruff Cut was in full flow around this time too?

Loads on really :(

Social source share

Rob also ran some dayers under his Soul Power banner in Mansfield somehwere, can't remember where, think they were on a Sunday  :(

link

Swan Hotel: Rough as a badgers arse. Got a lift there once in A Rolls Royce :P

Loved it, dancefloor dire mind.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Went to the Swan. Told the story before.

Got there. told it was a wedding reception. Ended up going for a drink. met some soulies who told us the niter was starting late.

got in and the dancefloor was cobblestones painted over.

As we were going in, one of the wedding party was leaving without his nose by the looks of it.

We didn't ever get back there :(

Social source share

Regular at Trotters as well Chalks (became the home of Renaisance), as well as Rock City soul nights (1 week Modern, next week upfront 60s) AND a round of beer for 50p! (one of the Forest lads served behind the bar :no: ).

Around that same time we used to do the Soul Nights in Ripley, thinking back they were, on occasions very well attended.

Chesterfield All-nighters, always had the feeling if they'd gone on they could have been something really special. Local constabulary a bit keen though eh? Remember having Djed at Ripley, driving up the A38 and being jumped on by plod as soon as we arrived in the car park opposite. Wasnt bills over enthusiasm one of the reasons WW closed?

Allenton / Ruff Cut was in full flow around this time too?

Loads on really :(

link

We were regulars all over then Byrney :( Can remember us both DJing at Ripley and have it on tape somewhere I think with us both on :P

The Chesterfield squad were very heavy handed. From 6 allnighters they caught one person with a couple of grams of speed, they would have had more success down the Adam and Eve the dozy pillocks :P At the end of the day the police didn't want the nighters there, they even objected to an application for a licence for one of the local colliery brass bands :graywanker: They caused the management , who were well up for the nighters to be held there some right grief :( In the end it wasn't worth the hassle.

Apparently the management was asked a couple of years ago about the prospect of nighters there again and they seemed keen at the time, nothing came of it. If I could afford it I would do it myself, best venue I've ever been in, one 700 capicity room, one 400, one for 150/200 and a smaller one for record bar, superb place, grade two listed so in great nick :(

Social source share

the swan only ran a few times as far as i recall but it was musically bang on, Rob had the foresight at that time to put on andy whitmore (as a modern dj) he was playing sounds that are currently being frothed over to almost empty floors, not one to compromise to his credit. Check out some old copies of shades of soul for reviews. I remember a mate getting a copy of admiral ice off roger banks at a great price when record sales were in the back room, also picked up loveman ronnie stokes there, (i mean bought one not picked up a bloke called ronnie stokes!),

Surprised it took so long for Allanton to get a mention too, that was a fantastic niter with a great crowd, a long way but better than anything else on offer at the time.

Great period for new discoveries 60's 70's 80's the lot. Billy Davidson guested ast Allanton and other venues at the time and was and still is a great dj. Catch him now playing top quality new release stuff, always on top of things pushing the envelope.

Social source share

Happy days travelling up to Shotts on the coach that Guy ran or the mini bus that Dean got from work  :lol:

link

That Journey was equal to nighter, Think of some of the characters who populated that mini bus - chaos by the time we hit Cumbria :lol:

When you next see Dean Chalky ask him about Doggy Tucker (just ask him, I'll keep it at that)

Social source share

the swan only ran a few times as far as i recall but it was musically bang on, Rob had the foresight at that time to put on andy whitmore (as a modern dj) he was playing sounds that are currently being frothed over to almost empty floors, not one to compromise to his credit. Check out some old copies of shades of soul for reviews. I remember a mate getting a copy of admiral ice off roger banks at a great price when record sales were in the back room, also picked up loveman ronnie stokes there, (i mean bought one not picked up a bloke called ronnie stokes!),

Surprised it took so long for Allanton to get a mention too, that was a fantastic niter with a great crowd, a long way but better than anything else on offer at the time.

Great period for new discoveries 60's 70's 80's the lot. Billy Davidson guested ast Allanton and other venues at the time and was and still is a great dj. Catch him now playing top quality new release stuff, always on top of things pushing the envelope.

link

Hi Neil (I assume its Neil from Nottingham) good to chat to you at Kitchs, we need to do that cd swap we chatted about!!

Spot on with your comments, the main difference then was there wasnt the overwhelming objective of keeping the dance floor busy as todays scene seems to have. Realise that numbers attending and balance of collectors/dancers has changed dramatically but cant help thinking we were right!!

Keep meaning to write detailed article of Scotchland in these times, but work keeps getting in the way of my social life. :lol:

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

That Journey was equal to nighter, Think of some of the characters who populated that mini bus - chaos by the time we hit Cumbria  :lol:

When you next see Dean Chalky ask him about Doggy Tucker (just ask him, I'll keep it at that)

link

Hi Byrney, am heading down to Lifeline tomorrow, are you and Dean going?

I remember i used to be always jealous of you lot having all the fun down in the coaches when I had to just walk along from Jims house, crazy days!!

Cheers

Jock

PS There is a rumour that Dean was always on time in those days??

PPS Spot on about Mansfield, travelled down to most of Robs dos, and he packed the dance floor (okay smaller dance fllors then!) as much as he emptied them in my memory, great taste in NS.

Edited by jocko
Social source share

link

Great shout, Neil.

This is a playlist of Billy's from the Berwick Soul weekender in 1987....the one where Kenni Burke was the star ''turn'' :lol:

He found an old tape of one of his spots in the Soul room at Berwick, dug out the vinyl again and re-recorded it for the PhutureSole website last year...

Here's the link to listen:

https://www.phuturesolerecordings.com/Billy...dson_Mix_01.ram

PLAYLIST:

DEE DEE SHARPE - WHAT COLOUR IS LOVE

THE PERSUADERS - HEY SISTER

FOUR TOPS - TELL ME YOU LOVE ME

THE IMPRESSIONS - WE GO BACK AWAYS

JAE MASON - CLOUD OF SUNSHINE

FOUR TOPS - FEEL FREE

RANCE ALLEN - REASONS

NYCC- MAKE EVERYDAY COUNT

VOICES OF EAST HARLEM - RARE SO RARE

WORNELL JONES - MUST OF BEEN LOVE

DONNY HATHAWAY - LITTLE GHETTO BOY

The Impressions, NYCC and ''Voices'' tracks would go down a storm if played out at certain gigs today...

Rob Grant.

Social source share

1987 was the beginning for me!!! I was a 16 year old mod!! Attended my first allnighter, which was the National Mod Meeting in Lincoln, the very weekend of the hurricanes. Thankfully we took the train and not the PX, otherwise I doubt I'd be telling this tale. I remember that weekend drinking my first pint of chinese (or whatever variation you call it, depending where you live - half bitter, half lager) and for getting kicked out of McDonalds for falling asleep the next morning!! It was a very long train journey the next day back to North Wales!

Same year started doing soul do's. The Raven in Whitchurch was one of our fave nights at the time - Johnny Beggs, Pep, Roger Banks etc all used to play there - great sounds and great people. Roger's mate Geoff Whitfield who I used to buy a lot of 45s off - anyone know where he is?? Warrington lad. Anyone on here do the Raven???

Used to also do the allnighters in Whitchurch (Civic??) and the Cheshire Cat in Nantwich. Used to do all the north wales do's - North Wales soul club bashes - Chico, Mark Speakman, Phil Blacknell, Chris Fenny, Mark Bicknell etc - great great days and good guys that really got us into new sounds and not played out oldies. Also Mike's nights in Prestatyn in a pub - can't recall the name now! Really happy days - fondly remember my mate Gareth's girlfriend Sue driving us home from Prestatyn in the old red mini. Gareth was totally trashed on a diet of lager and copious amounts of vodka and orange. We stopped for him to have a wee at the side of the road. He was that pished he fell straight into a load of nettles :lol::lol: was hilarious, although he didn't seem to think so at the time!

Also used to travel a bit further afield - the Longton suite in Stoke springs to mind. Remember hearing Melba Moore - Magic Touch that Adey had just rleased at the time - blew me away - still love it to this day :lol: Also used to do the Rhythm & Soul bashes - Mace, Rob Messer etc. We were well into our tunes - even then these guys were playing Gene Toones, Jo Ann Courcy, Kell Osborne etc. Was also a guy from Loughborough who used to do the same bashes - can't remember his name. I remember him buying Silky Hargraves on Dearborn off Adey Pierce (in beautiful Dearborn sleeve - think it was £170 if memory serves me right - a lot of cash at the time!!) and playing it - fantastic!

Not a bad year!!! :lol:

Rich

Social source share

Hi Byrney, am heading down to Lifeline tomorrow, are you and Dean going?

I remember i used to be always jealous of you lot having all the fun down in the coaches when I had to just walk along from Jims house, crazy days!!

Cheers

Jock

PS There is a rumour that Dean was always on time in those days??

Dean on time? righty ho then :lol:

Was intending to go to Lifeline but works mad busy at the mo, to the point I have to work Sunday on a f$%king report so its a no go for me kid.

I'm aiming to get everything boxed off to take a couple of days hol after Prestatyn so I can hit it with a big stick :lol:

BTW Neil, are you the Neil who currently resides in Bridgeford, if yea e-mail me :lol:

Social source share

I was still 'titting' birds up at school in 1987!

Didn't go to my first proper Soul night until 1988. Funnily enough I was still at school then LOL!!!!

Jamie

Social source share

Good to see playlist from Berwick, that was a goodweekender as were the next ones Alex Lowes did. Its maybe hard to imagine not having weekenders but I think i'm right in saying that was the frst one to pull in what might be a 'real' soul crowd as opposed to caister pyramids etc. Always remember Billy D playin david porter-i only have eyes for you at a weekender and it completely knocked me out, must have been a scottish sound as they were the only ones dancing to it.

Jocko, Byrney i will pm you when i go back to work on monday, assuming i can sus out how to do it.

If you write your scotland history Jock i actually used to keep a bit of a diary for a while, i must still have it somewhere, think i'm a bit scared of reading it though.You must have copies of the a4 newsletter that i think Jim used to do!!

Martin offered me and another a lift back from the 100 club once with him and 2 others, when we got to the car it only had one front seat, 2 of us were sat doubled up on the floor to Notts, glad of the lift though!

Social source share

I remember geordie Martin, small guy with black curly hair if I remember! Think he lived Palmers Green, North London way? He worked for Rolls Royce or something? What happened to him?

Social source share

It was indeed. Turns out he used to valet RRs and erm...borrow them for weekend capers.

Right posh it was me too me duck

link

nots not what he told me and my mates, my mates v. impressed when he said he 'built them'!!!

Social source share

Guest Ferrett

Same year started doing soul do's. The Raven in Whitchurch was one of our fave nights at the time - Johnny Beggs, Pep, Roger Banks etc all used to play there - great sounds and great people. Roger's mate Geoff Whitfield who I used to buy a lot of 45s off - anyone know where he is?? Warrington lad. Anyone on here do the Raven???

Yeah! Remember The Raven really well!! I was 17 in 1987 and this venue had a BIG influence on my musical tastes.

Used to be packed and some great tunes were played by Johnny Beggs, Duncan Pollitt etc. Many of them way ahead of their time. Whatever happened to Duncan? I think he moved up to scotland to do some kind of outward bound thing????

Superb record bar at the Raven as well. If I knew then what I know now ....... Doh!!! Where's that time machine. :angry:

Social source share

Ahhhh 1987 - My first proper year on the soul scene!! (god I'm even older than I thought, 18 years ago!!)

Being Midlands based,the Allnighters I remember are Whitchurch Civic (under the Connoiseurs banner) Hinckley and the RSG do's involving Jon Buck (Loughborough, Milton Keynes etc - although may have been a tad later).  Also remember lots of mates heading up to Morcambe but never made it myself.

Evening do wise, the biggest draw was the '86 club' at various venues around Bridgnorth.  This was largely an oldies event run by John 'Esher' Venn and used to get huge attendances.  Live acts appearring there included Willie Clayton and Ronnie McNeir.  Heard a rumour Lenny Henry (of Red Nose fame) used to go there but could be urban myth.

Re. Rob Marriott.  Remember him clearing many a dancefloor at the Concorde Suite in Droylesden circa 1990 but he was well respected amongst collectors and was indeed well ahead of his time.

link

Jon Buck was also responsible for me putting about 2 stone on when he ran that cafe in Bedford with Sue :thumbsup:

Luckily I also knew a man who helped with rapid weight loss pills thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert