Dear Soul World

Today I bought from Brantano in Lincoln a pair of original Clarkes polyveldts..... Clarkes have done, it brought them back at last........ they are the same as those from those heady days of the latter 7ts early 8ts, they are the dogs nads and still as comfy, will be trying them out at mexborough on sunday to see if they still dance the same, (not that I can anymore) But at 45 quid a pair they havent risen in price that much really since me last pair........ well done clarkes at long chuffing last....... me old mates are back.

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Today I bought from Brantano in Lincoln a pair of original Clarkes polyveldts..... me old mates are back.

With a name like "polyveldts" I gues they have a rubber like sole ? Any pics ?

I'm too old to actually know what they look like, it were Tuf in my day lad !!

:rolleyes:

Social source share

what really really real polys !!!!!! :rolleyes:ohmy.gifohmy.gif .....pics please..... can't be ..can it ..is it for real ! are they

exactly the same ??? are they even called polyveldts??

whoooooppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee my feet are waiting biggrin.gif

casper

Edited by casper
Social source share

what really really real polys !!!!!! :rolleyes:ohmy.gifohmy.gif .....pics please..... can't be ..can it ..is it for real ! are they

exactly the same ??? are they even called polyveldts??

whoooooppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee my feet are waiting biggrin.gif

casper

really honestly and truly... and they fit like a glove still they are from the Iconic Range that Clarkes have just brought out

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

DON'T TELL SHANE! :rolleyes:

Polyveldts were the girl soulie's dance shoe of choice when i was at school circa 79'-81', the guys tended to wear Nature Treks or Bostons or Diamonds and then later Pod.

Shame we don't have fixed popular shoes that everyone wears now, mind you we're not 15 any more sad.gif

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Nothing could beat the sheer stylishness (!) of a pair of Solatio`s on the guys circa early - mid 70`s. They were the shoe of choice (in the crowd I knew) around this time and still around today, so have lasted the test of time.

Personally (as a soul girlie :rolleyes: ) from the early- mid 70`s I wore any decent, hard wearing, stylish leather souled shoe. Birdcage on Bridlesmith gate, Nottm was the shop of choice.

All a bit pricey, but not the usual, run of the mill stuff. Some of us didn`t want to wear the long , multi yard skirts but even within the under ground nature of the scene still wanted to be seen as slightly different!

Oh, to have that money and freedom now to spend on brilliant clothes!! sad.gif

Social source share

Guest krawen

Now what would be real news for my owd fella would be the re opening of a shop called Image just off Bridlesmith Gate Nottm with a sale on Solatio shoes!

I used to work in a clothes shop in Ilkeston ( Hickenbothams on Heanor road corner ) in 1974 / 75 ( before I went down the pit ) and the amount of Solatio shoes we used to sell ( mainly on the tick ) was unreal. They bought out many styles and colours and i think that every lad in the Eastwood , Ilkeston and Heanor area had at least one pair. Top dancing shoes I'm told :rolleyes:

Steve B

Social source share

I used to work in a clothes shop in Ilkeston ( Hickenbothams on Heanor road corner ) in 1974 / 75 ( before I went down the pit ) and the amount of Solatio shoes we used to sell ( mainly on the tick ) was unreal. They bought out many styles and colours and i think that every lad in the Eastwood , Ilkeston and Heanor area had at least one pair. Top dancing shoes I'm told :rolleyes:

Steve B

Thats why Chris and mates had `em (apart from looking dead smart). I reckon we ought to get a stall set up at the soul do's and flog some! I've seen a web site where you can get them. Only £65; Can you imagine what you could buy for that money in 74/75!

Edited by bridget
Social source share

Polyveldts were the girl soulie's dance shoe of choice when i was at school circa 79'-81', the guys tended to wear Nature Treks or Bostons or Diamonds and then later Pod.

I'd better not admit to having a pair then Matt :rolleyes:

Seriously a lot of lads wore them at on the scene in 78/79, they were great for dancing - really comfy. Dont think I'll be buying another pair though ohmy.gif

Edited by Steve L
Social source share

Guest Byrney

DON'T TELL SHANE! :rolleyes:

Shame we don't have fixed popular shoes that everyone wears now, mind you we're not 15 any more sad.gif

Lads wore them as well, seemed every kid at school had a black or light tan pair.

Ugly shoe, not unlike a cornish pasty (but not as tasty).

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Nothing could beat the sheer stylishness (!) of a pair of Solatio`s on the guys circa early - mid 70`s. They were the shoe of choice (in the crowd I knew) around this time and still around today, so have lasted the test of time.

Personally (as a soul girlie :rolleyes: ) from the early- mid 70`s I wore any decent, hard wearing, stylish leather souled shoe. Birdcage on Bridlesmith gate, Nottm was the shop of choice.

All a bit pricey, but not the usual, run of the mill stuff. Some of us didn`t want to wear the long , multi yard skirts but even within the under ground nature of the scene still wanted to be seen as slightly different!

Oh, to have that money and freedom now to spend on brilliant clothes!! sad.gif

Remember Bird Cage very well, good for lads and ladies wear opposite the Fountain. Good stock of Footy lad gear as well (first shop In Notts to stock Replay and Retour around 83 84).

Social source share

Steve B

Never heard of 'em but here's a pic.

https://www.huckleberrysmenswear.co.uk/ikon...atio-shoe-black

If you lived in the London there was only ONE place to buy shoes, in fact all clothes,

the Ivy Shop in Richmond, the original proprietor is still alive and kicking. It was worth

going just to listen to the soul music they played there. The Ivy Shop also spawned

Quincy's also in Richmond.

https://j.simons.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/index.jhtml

I guess where you live/lived kinda dictates the clothing maybe ?

smile.gif

Social source share

Never heard of 'em but here's a pic.

https://www.huckleberrysmenswear.co.uk/ikon...atio-shoe-black

If you lived in the London there was only ONE place to buy shoes, in fact all clothes,

the Ivy Shop in Richmond, the original proprietor is still alive and kicking. It was worth

going just to listen to the soul music they played there. The Ivy Shop also spawned

Quincy's also in Richmond.

https://j.simons.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/index.jhtml

I guess where you live/lived kinda dictates the clothing maybe ?

:rolleyes:

Huckleberry site was where I've seen them. Anywhere else sells them I wonder? I think it might be where you lived that dictated the style and shops frequented. These were the days before the internet so clothes tended to be bought locally. Trying to think of others we went to. There wasn't a great many because we tended to go to the places that we knew would sell the styles that we liked (and also cost a lot more than Chelsea Girl and places like that!)

I can't believe it when i hear Chris go on at our middle lad for paying the money he does for D Squared, Diesel, Armani etc. When we were just as bad.

Actually the shop he works in part time is very similar to the shops we bought from...Designer labels, different styles etc. So times don't change that much really!

Just remembered! Chris bought a shirt from Paul Smiths shop which was up the alley off Bridlesmith Gate (Same side as the Fountain, but along a bit) circa 74 when I'm sure Paul still worked upstairs cutting out and making up the clothes. It was a dead little shop but sold some excellent stuff (The lads moved on a bit since those days smile.gif )

Edited by bridget
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Lads wore them as well, seemed every kid at school had a black or light tan pair.

Ugly shoe, not unlike a cornish pasty (but not as tasty).

I never said lads didn't wear them, i just said they were the shoe of choice for girls round here. Everybody wore them at first, but i remember that when Nature Treks came out there was a definate gender split... mind you 'some' lads continued to wear them... :thumbsup:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest krawen

Huckleberry site was where I've seen them. Anywhere else sells them I wonder? I think it might be where you lived that dictated the style and shops frequented. These were the days before the internet so clothes tended to be bought locally. Trying to think of others we went to. There wasn't a great many because we tended to go to the places that we knew would sell the styles that we liked (and also cost a lot more than Chelsea Girl and places like that!)

I can't believe it when i hear Chris go on at our middle lad for paying the money he does for D Squared, Diesel, Armani etc. When we where just as bad.

Actually the shop he works in part time is very similar to the shops we bought from...Designer labels, different styles etc. So times don't change that much really!

Just remembered! Chris bought a shirt from Paul Smiths shop which was up the alley off Bridlesmith Gate (Same side as the Fountain, but along a bit) circa 74 when I'm sure Paul still worked upstairs cutting out and making up the clothes. It was a dead little shop but sold some excellent stuff (The lads moved on a bit since those days :lol: )

Can you remember Jeffs fashion centre at the top of Alfreton road Sharon and i think they also had a couple of shops down Hockley. Bought my first bowling shirt from there and some skinners :thumbsup:

Steve B

Social source share

Can you remember Jeffs fashion centre at the top of Alfreton road Sharon and i think they also had a couple of shops down Hockley. Bought my first bowling shirt from there and some skinners :thumbsup:

Steve B

Remember it! when my mum and dad split up me and my mum (and the brothers who were left at home) lived down Portland Road opposite Jeffs just off Alfreton Road. It was where I used to meet up with my mates when we were going out ; " See you outside Jeffs"!!

They definately had a shop upstairs in Broad Marsh as well. In fact the boyfriend before Christopher came along used to work there, so many a happy hour was spent hanging about on the benches outside that shop. What a full life I`ve led!! :lol:

Social source share

Guest krawen

Remember it! when my mum and dad split up me and my mum (and the brothers who were left at home) lived down Portland Road opposite Jeffs just off Alfreton Road. It was where I used to meet up with my mates when we were going out ; " See you outside Jeffs"!!

They definately had a shop upstairs in Broad Marsh as well. In fact the boyfriend before Christopher came along used to work there, so many a happy hour was spent hanging about on the benches outside that shop. What a full life I`ve led!! :yes:

My best mate from school used to work there :lol::thumbsup:

Social source share

never liked polyvelts, thought they looked unbecoming. I used to buy those solatios on peterborough market, but never knew they were called solatios. brogues & loafers were always popular.

a hangover from the suedehead period I imagine.

Good grief, Solatio's were indeed the footwear of choice, especially here in Corby. they were excellent to wear, & you had to have them quarter tipped aswell.

wore them for many years & progressed onto the "diamond fronts".......those were the days!!

cheers,

john mc. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest DeeJay

what do they look like!

We all had em round our end and we all thought they looked like Cornish Pasties BUT they're well comfy

DJ

Social source share

Thats why Chris and mates had `em (apart from looking dead smart). I reckon we ought to get a stall set up at the soul do's and flog some! I've seen a web site where you can get them. Only £65; Can you imagine what you could buy for that money in 74/75!

whats the website for these

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert