Russ Vickers

Guest SteveC

Some of you may have read the events thread relating to Russ & Jenny Vickers homecoming bash and the fact that Russ was ill in bed for two days with a stomach complaint immediately after arriving back at our shores - and me calling him a wimp!!!!!

Just had a call from Jenny to say that after day 3 of his pain they called the doctors in and discovered that he had appendicitis and it had burst!!!!!! He was admitted, to Queen Alexandra's in Portsmouth and operated on and has only just been released from Intensive care today. It was very serious and touch and go at times by Jenny's accounts.

Comes as a bit of a shock I'm sure you'll all agree and at a time when Jenny and little Zak needed him most - needless to say Jenny's been rushed off her feet and left to carry out all the settling in for them.

If any locals who know him would like to visit he's on ward D4 and visiting times are 2-8pm. I'm sure he'll be back on the forum soonest so probably best to pass any wishes onto him then but I will be visiting him during the week to call him a wimp in person!!!!!

The homecoming bash is still on but obviously it may be too soon after this saga so it will probably be postponed but will let the forum know by the end of the week.

Social source share

• Replies 39
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Send Russ my very best wishes , the same thing happened to me a few years ago fortunately mine burst while i was in hospital waiting for surgery. Not nice at all.

Derek

Social source share

Poor Jenny! Hope she's a better nurse than I am, or Russ will want to stay in hospital for as long as possible...

Please pass on my best wishes (and a great big hug and kiss) to them both!

Get well soon Russ, and welcome back Jenny and Zac

xxx

Social source share

Just an update on the fella.

Went to see him this afternoon and was quite shocked to see a normally fit and enthusiastic mate very ill - but recovering I hasten to add. He was asleep when I arrived and whilst I was explaining to one of the nurses how I didn't want to disturb him his eyes opened and the 1st words he muttered in my presence were "Can I have some more drugs nurse" - I kid you not - not a hello Steve or mate not until he requested more "drugs". Needless to say he wasn't due his quota for another 90 mins or so :ohmy:

Anyway the man really has been through a terrible experience and won't be out for at least another week. After that he'll be at home resting for some time I should imagine.

I'll be off to see him in a couple of days but he was so chuffed to see a mate so if any friends who are local can manage it its Ward D4, Queen Alexandra Hospital. Cosham, 2pm-8pm. Then you too can get all emotional with him :yes: .

He has got access to the net by his bed side but has been too tired to operate it - it really has been that much of an ordeal - but he hopes to get on in the next few days to read your salutations and wishes.

Keep you posted.

Edited by SteveC
Social source share

Get well soon Russ, hope you're out & about soon, look forward to hearing your dulcet tones on the mic darn sarf in the near future, 'Let's have ya on the dancefloor'!!

All the best

Simon & Sam x (Brighton)

Social source share

Wimp! :yes:

Only joking Mucker. :ohmy: Glad he's on the mend. The Hitsville Crew are "at it" this weekend and Russ' contribution will be sorely missed. We'll have a scoop and turn up the volume at the 'DJ Villa' for him.

Continued good recovery Matey.

Your event this weekend is something Russ and I talked about Dave.

Social source share

A couple of things I forgot to mention yesterday evening.

The welcome home event planned for 15 Sep is obviously now cancelled/postponed.

Know he's on the mend because when I told him I was off to an ex-Naval Air station to carry out some inspections this Friday he asked me to check the old senior rates messes out as possible venues for future events - can't pin the man down - even when he's topped up with poison :ohmy:

Social source share

I went to see Russ today; well i went yesterday too but it seems everyone in Portsmouth was visiting the hospital at the same time and after queuing 15 minutes i couldnt park (some designers idea to take half the car park away and to build a new one after everything else :( ) as it happens it was a blessing...today i got a lift there, incase i encountered the same problem, and turned up just as Jenny was leaving, so it was nice to say hello to Jen, and Russ was up out of bed and unplugged from the numerous wires and tubes etc that he has had to endure for ten odd days...

to cut it short; Russ is looking (and sounding) good; very pasty, but far better than i was expecting, and he is feeling good too and hopefully will be back home in the next day or two. Tonite he has ordered some pizza for dinner so that he can have a nite in watching TV and eating pizza LOL. As Steve says, Russ has been through a very, very bad time and a big ordeal the past ten days, when he gets home i think he may well be wiped out for quite a few weeks, if not more. it was good to see him in good spirits though and i think if it wasn't for me getting picked up again i would still be there listening to his stories :thumbup:

Russ thanks everyone for their wishes, which he will do in person when he feels up to going online again.

Social source share

Just to keep you all up to date. I visited Russ yesterday and whilst there the doctor allowed a much healthier Mr Vickers to go home.

Obviously the old boy was a much more familiar sight health wise and I'm sure that now he's home he'll be tapping away at the keyboard very soon to chat to you all. The main thing is that he's well on the road to recovery.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to thank everyone for thier kind wishes whilst I have been ill & give you all an update. Well, as Steve has mentioned Im now home after a fair old stay in hospital & the worst is over & Im feeling a lot better, still need plenty of rest & poor long suffering Jenny is having to take me to the medical centre every other day, but considering everything Im as well as I could be under the circumstances............Jen knew I was on the road to recovery, when at the weekend I tried to convice her that if she or Steve drove & they parked me in a corner we could go to the 100 Club Anniversary, needless to say the intelligent one in the relationship had the last say :rolleyes: .

Once again, thanks to everyone & I hope to see you all soon.

Russ

Social source share

I just wanted to thank everyone for thier kind wishes whilst I have been ill & give you all an update. Well, as Steve has mentioned Im now home after a fair old stay in hospital & the worst is over & Im feeling a lot better, still need plenty of rest & poor long suffering Jenny is having to take me to the medical centre every other day, but considering everything Im as well as I could be under the circumstances............Jen knew I was on the road to recovery, when at the weekend I tried to convice her that if she or Steve drove & they parked me in a corner we could go to the 100 Club Anniversary, needless to say the intelligent one in the relationship had the last say :rolleyes: .

Once again, thanks to everyone & I hope to see you all soon.

Russ

Hello Russ,

I know we have never met, but I feel as though I know you from our conversations on here. It was a shock to hear of your illness on this thread, and I'm very pleased to hear that you are on the mend. I'm sure that we will meet up at some nighter, now that you are back in the U.K.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery mate.

Phil.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert