Worst Venue You've Been To

Bigsoulman

I have'nt been to any soul venues abroad just wondered how they compare to ours better or worse, any recommendations :D

link

Italy - the do's are air conditioned, and kept immaculate, in bar 10 they have long comfey sofas, plenty of seating, marble toilets

Social source share

• Replies 139
  • Views 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

What was the place on the Old Kent Road, where Rob ran a one off allnighter?

The bouncers spent the whole night walking across the dancefloor, bumping in to people, and trying to start a fight. When they realised they werent going to get any bites, they decided to throw Rob Messer out in the middle of his spot cos he told a girl off for burning a hole in one of Tricksters Hawaiian shirts.

I left after that. Blinkin intimidating trying to get a taxi at 5 in the morning, in that part of the world. :D

link

yeah but we did gate crash the office party for drinks (well I did LOL)

Social source share

Italy - the do's are air conditioned, and kept immaculate, in bar 10 they have long comfey sofas, plenty of seating, marble toilets

link

I bet the men are not bad too?! :lol::D

Social source share

lol.. I haven't done that for ages!! :D

Really can't think where would be the worst venue, most are a bit scruffy but music and company more than makes up for that. You could be in the most luxurious venue but if other aspects of the night aren't right for you it'll still be miserable. If I was being fussy I do like being able to get a seat but it's not the end of the world, can always sit on the floor, random people's knees....  :P

link

Plenty knees are waiting for you on sat :lol: ..I think the toilets are very inportant,we aint in our teens anymore and demand a little comfort..Don't wanna slag off any venues on line,not very nice...Most of the time its the people i meet who make it a good night and not the state of the carpet etc..

Social source share

Not criticising anyone, but this is a bit of a negative thread. If you have a problem with a venue, take it up with the promoter on the evening (as I think someone has said) then - by all means - communicate your experiences via a forum like this. In my experience, many people like to whinge about things but not so many will approach the promoters to say - politely - what's upsetting them.

I think those who complain are perfectly within their rights and should because people often assume that the promoter is a mind reader. There's a bare minimum of sanitation that I think everyone can agree is necessary but fer chrissakes if you want luxury I think the northern scene is not really the place to go looking. It's the music, DJs etc that count.

When more venues get the ethos right and the music right, then I'll turn my attention to how many 'pineapple chunks' are in the urinal, whether there's 'peach blossom' air freshener in the gents or a selection of nuts behind the bar.

There was a fine selection of Scottish nuts at Sheridans - all in front of the bar though! :lol::D:P

Hammy

Social source share

yes judging by the Italian soul websites there are a few goodlooking Italian stallions on the scene :D   :P   :D

link

Horses always seem to come into everything on here!!! :lol:

Social source share

Not criticising anyone, but this is a bit of a negative thread. If you have a problem with a venue, take it up with the promoter on the evening (as I think someone has said) then - by all means - communicate your experiences via a forum like this. In my experience, many people like to whinge about things but not so many will  approach the promoters to say - politely - what's upsetting them.

I think those who complain are perfectly within their rights and should because people often assume that the promoter is a mind reader. There's a bare minimum of sanitation that I think everyone can agree is necessary but fer chrissakes if you want luxury I think the northern scene is not really the place to go looking. It's the music, DJs etc that count.

When more venues get the ethos right and the music right, then I'll turn my attention to how many 'pineapple chunks' are in the urinal, whether there's 'peach blossom' air freshener in the gents or a selection of nuts behind the bar.

There was a fine selection of Scottish nuts at Sheridans - all in front of the bar though!  :P   :lol:   :D

Hammy

link

The older some get the more comfort they want...Gonna be easy chairs and slippers soon at all-niters :D Hammy is correct...Take it up with a promoter and if they don't give you satisfaction then you can come on here and complain..I think thats fair :D

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

The bouncers spent the whole night walking across the dancefloor, bumping in to people, and trying to start a fight. When they realised they werent going to get any bites, they decided to throw Rob Messer out in the middle of his spot cos he told a girl off for burning a hole in one of Tricksters Hawaiian shirts.

I left after that. Blinkin intimidating trying to get a taxi at 5 in the morning, in that part of the world. :D

link

Thats a good one Mikey, ostensibly quite a nice club, but run by a bunch of the dumbest wanna be gangster f#cks you could ever wish to meet. i remember we broke down outside the place in 1986, wearing mod suits, that was somewhat intimidating :lol: . At the tmie it was probably called something like The Stuffed Hamster.

I was charmed by the drunken Irish woman who fell asleep on the sofa and then was sick on the carpet when she woke up, whilst Craig seduced a German girl by teacher her lines from Millwall songs. Great night out and I think I walked home.

Funny how that venue has never been used again.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Not criticising anyone, but this is a bit of a negative thread. If you have a problem with a venue, take it up with the promoter on the evening (as I think someone has said) then - by all means - communicate your experiences via a forum like this. In my experience, many people like to whinge about things but not so many will  approach the promoters to say - politely - what's upsetting them.

There was a fine selection of Scottish nuts at Sheridans - all in front of the bar though!  :lol:   :D   :P

Hammy

link

I agree Hammy. And like Steve says, it is very often the crowd/friends that make a venue fun anyway.

I remember going to a niter in between Walsall and Wolverhampton in the mid 80s. I made the mistake of wearing a football shirt on the way in. There was about 25% soul people there 75% p1ssheads until the bar closed and they all disappeared. It is the only time I have ever felt threatened at a niter, but ended up having a superb time. Like I say, once the idiots had gone home.

Social source share

You're absolutely right Hammy have it out with the promoter. Thats what i did with that Gasher bloke, as the belmont was a right dump and i said Hoy Gasher no. if you want to run a soul night in a dump go to the council tip. Low and behold he's moving it to a new venue in April not just new as in it's never had a soul night but brand new just opened venue. See it pays to complain. whistling.gifwhistling.gif

Edited by tubbs
Social source share

Agree with you there, Win whistling.gif

There's been one or two contentious statements made on this thread, not least by someone hiding behind a rather anonymous, capitalised, username!

Show yourself, bigsoulman whistling.gif

link

No need for me to show myself, why do so many people get upset by capital letters?, looks much much better than what i'm doing now, nothing sinister in my original post, just like to hear people's opinion on different venues around the UK, i'm thinking this because it seems that most venue's now don't give a toss about the paying public, yes of course you can shut this out of your mind and enjoy the sounds but the post was'nt about that, it just seems to me that no one ever comments on it, any notion of me slagging off the 100 club is nonsense, on a visit there last year i've never heard so many brilliant records in one night.

For the record i'm a BIGMAN, no not Daddy Rogers just a big person who's big on soul, should'nt really have to explain myself on who I am, your not all going paranoid on me are you... :P

Social source share

Topics like this are always contencious however for me its the sight of a pair of spencers 40s and hearing moans like "i hate this modern stuff" when a 30 year old 70's sound comes on

Hey I wore 40s till 1978 when my father asked if me and me mates had got a job in a circus (did the trick I tell you, we never wore them again)

But o the flip side I dont care what gets played as long as the DJ caters for the type of crowd thats in and creates an atmosphere, I love rareties but recently went to a local venue where the crowd were all into the big wigan sounds and the floor was heaving, then up pops a known (only plays rare) DJ and killed it.

and Been to rare do's when a "MR golden oldie" got on the decks and killed that also.

Not bothered about the Karzies waded through too many to even care any more as long as me bladder is empty the moisture can be danced off the shoes.

Many people are bemoaning the fact of CDs being played but drax does this and has nearly a full house everytime.

I dont go to drax as I dont approve of CDs but, am I missing a good night out for my elitism? I dont know.

Geeooooordie whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

I left after that. Blinkin intimidating trying to get a taxi at 5 in the morning, in that part of the world. whistling.gif

link

Nice place that Mikey. one of our lot got mugged at the cashpoint by a gang of lads "You must be rich look at yer clothes, now gis ya fackin money". Well, i say gang - there were two of them. And I say 'lads' they were kids. Well I say kids - they were actually very young children but it was Paul off his nut at 6am so a baby in a pram could have robbed him.

A one-off for you but we had to suffer it a few times. Bloody awful place, who designs a club so you have to walk over the dancefloor to get to either side of the bar?

Still it's a hell of a lot nicer than Sid's Cellar bar which has seen a couple of after-parties following Crossfire and other 3-4am finishers - I keep expecting to see orcs and trolls running around (then again that'd be an improvement on a few of the Mod birds). whistling.gif

Social source share

Worst northern room in the countrymusicaly has to be a draw bettween prestwhich

and fleetwood,worst venue all round samanthas,imo.

link

Vis a vis Samanthas, if you mean the layout, I'm always suprised by the number of people who share your opinion Andy. It seems a common view. Its changed very little since the early seventies, just really a different siting of the Dj booth.

I've always loved it, but its local to me.

I'd be interested to know what other people who went in the early days thought of the layout.

Musically, the place was A1 IMO.

Social source share

No the toilets are Scenesville venue opp. Kings X were lovely, massive, had stools to sit on, never wanted to leave !!

link

Had stools to sit on whistling.gif:yes:whistling.gif:P

OK,OK I'm leaving..........

Social source share

Where do the fish come into it? I'm scared now...  :shades:

link

we should have bring our pets to soul do's nite and get sponsored by dog, cat or similar food, as animals seem to come into this a lot lately!!!!

Social source share

Dont know about worst but

contender for lowest attendance has to be THE CARLTON in Aberdeen on Satuday

NOT MY CLUB just to put the record straight

But to put things in Perspective

they had 9 people at the event I was told..or was it 11 ?

And we have sold out our event this weekend.150+ :shades:

Just goes to show that not every city needs two soul nights.

Attendances speak for themselves,somethings work others dont.

the Gasher :shades:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

link

a predictable dig ...... Having been to both i know which one i'd return to .....

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

link

a predictable dig ...... Having been to both i know which one i'd return to .....

Social source share

link

Will the Real Kev Roberts please stand up!

:)

WOOF!

Social source share

link

In the interests of peace and love, why not co-promote one venue and get 159 people in??? :)

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

In the interests of peace and love, why not co-promote one venue and get 159 people in???  :shades:

link

ah pete me old fruit .... You'd think peace would be easy ..... Lets look at the facts ... They have different music policies they don't clash at all ... Wheres the problem ? Buggered if i know but i do know that sometimes i despair and feel a little embarrassed to be scottish ...... The Dundee boys had a venue clash and handled it with class and dignity ... It's the way forward

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

In the interests of peace and love, why not co-promote one venue and get 159 people in???  :shades:

link

ah pete me old fruit .... You'd think peace would be easy ..... Lets look at the facts ... They have different music policies they don't clash at all ... Wheres the problem ? Buggered if i know but i do know that sometimes i despair and feel a little embarrassed to be scottish ...... The Dundee boys had a venue clash and handled it with class and dignity ... It's the way forward

Social source share

ah pete me old fruit  .... You'd think peace would be easy ..... Lets look at the facts ... They have different music policies they don't clash at all ... Wheres the problem ? Buggered if i know but i do know that sometimes i despair and feel a little embarrassed to be scottish ...... The Dundee boys had a venue clash and handled it with class and dignity ... It's the way forward

link

Very good post there Dave....

Social source share

And we have sold out our event this weekend.150+ whistling.gif

the Gasher :thumbsup:

link

This ain't right mate - dunno what your problem is on this Gasher. Their event doesn't clash with yours, Aberdeen is a city of over 200,000 people and yet there's only room for your soul night? Come on pal - get a grip here. You're doing yourself no favours whatsoever. If you have a problem with the promoters of the Carlton then take it up with them direct. Why bother slagging them off on a forum that ( I presume) they ain't members of?

Poor form.

Hammy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert