Sat Nov 24th - Calling All Tos'ers

Guest vinylvixen

Guest vinylvixen

PTP is 50 so we've decided to throw a knees-up.....and used it as a thinly veiled excuse to get all the old TOS'ers under one roof for the night. There's 8 djs - Martin Thomson, Paul McKay, Warren, Andy Faulkner, Alan Handscombe, Roger Stewart, PTP and me. The venue is the RnB room at International Students House, Great Portland St, London. £2 to get in and it's 9pm to 3am - so by my maths that's 6 hours of beer, soul and cake.....music policy is Northern/ Motown/ RnB and whatever else takes our fancy. I'm checking out hotels in the area and will post soon.

So come on down and help Paul grow old disgracefully :rolleyes: Jo

• Replies 82
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest vinylvixen

Let's hope we don't wear you out too much on the 10th, Jo..............lol.

Steve B

A quick soul disclaimer: Jo Wallace will only be playing records at York Charity Night on Nov 10th - :lol::lol:

Guest vinylvixen

Jo

Are you going to spread mold ove rthe walls and jack up one side of the dance floor to make us feel at home? :lol:

Paul, I'm having a couple of tatty old sofas and some blocked drains delivered especially - to create that certain 'ambience'...plus the 'magic disco light' :lol:

Guest vinylvixen

I'm bringing some lino down to cover the flash wooden dancefloor (fancy dan southerners!) :lol:

And I'm having a stage made out of pallets with 6 inch nails sticking out biggrin.gif Ah - memories, memories :lol: Jo

Guest vinylvixen

Do us bitter drinkers have to go to the pub across the road for a pint and then spend half an hour chatting to you on the stairs on the way back only to find our glasses emtpy again and have to go back up?

I shall make sure that everything is authentically reproduced down to the last details....the surly barstaff, David Blaine, B&W homemade flyers....as if time had stood still :lol: Jo

Guest vinylvixen

So we'll tip toeing behind the decks to stop the records jumping then :lol:

Well remembered Andy - and avoiding the holes in the stage.....how did we ever manage :lol:

Guest in town Mikey

Do us bitter drinkers have to go to the pub across the road for a pint and then spend half an hour chatting to you on the stairs on the way back only to find our glasses emtpy again and have to go back up?

That was what crossed my mind.

How about throwing a jazz band at the top of the stairs, with some of their equipment slightly blocking the way down?

Maybe its my mind playing tricks, but didnt someone once come down and say the band upstairs were playing Soul Sauce??

How about throwing a jazz band at the top of the stairs, with some of their equipment slightly blocking the way down?

Maybe its my mind playing tricks, but didnt someone once come down and say the band upstairs were playing Soul Sauce??

PMSL.

You brought back happy memories of the River Bar prior to walking down those stairs. Oh happy days.

Looking forward to this one.

Guest vinylvixen

That was what crossed my mind.

It was like Battle of the Soundsystems with that racket going on upstairs....and then the drunk trad jazzers trying to get past me after their night had finished - many tried, none succeeded :lol: Bunch of drop-outs :lol: Jo

Hi Jo,we will be coming along as agreed ,as it also Mandy's birthday on the 24th.

What a way to spend your birthday night amongst good soul people,and fine ale.

Guest vinylvixen

Hi Jo,we will be coming along as agreed ,as it also Mandy's birthday on the 24th.

What a way to spend your birthday night amongst good soul people,and fine ale.

and a fine woman....PM me with a tune we can spin for her....but don't let on :lol: Jo

I shall make sure that everything is authentically reproduced down to the last details....the surly barstaff, David Blaine, B&W homemade flyers....as if time had stood still :lol: Jo

I've been in touch with Big Roger as well but not sure he can make it. He's in bonny scotland now.

Guest vinylvixen

I've been in touch with Big Roger as well but not sure he can make it. He's in bonny scotland now.

He'll be there in spirit if not in person.... :lol: The lingering smell of Cafe Creme cigars would do the trick :lol: I'm getting really excited - anyone would think it's my 50th....

PTP is 50 so we've decided to throw a knees-up.....and used it as a thinly veiled excuse to get all the old TOS'ers under one roof for the night. There's 8 djs - Martin Thomson, Paul McKay, Warren, Andy Faulkner, Alan Handscombe, Roger Stewart, PTP and me. The venue is the RnB room at International Students House, Great Portland St, London. £2 to get in and it's 9pm to 3am - so by my maths that's 6 hours of beer, soul and cake.....music policy is Northern/ Motown/ RnB and whatever else takes our fancy. I'm checking out hotels in the area and will post soon.

So come on down and help Paul grow old disgracefully :yes: Jo

:thumbup: Sorry Jo, would love to come to this but it clashes with the "Stolen Hours" anniversary in Ramsgate. sad.gif

"STOLEN HOURS" 1st Anniversary, ***RAMSGATE*** 24th NOVEMBER.

2 Rooms + Accomodation + Free unissued Vinyl (first 100 tickets)

*** Change of venue - see Events thread ***

Edited by KevinKent
Guest vinylvixen

Will Jo be sitting on the stairs saying to any undesirables "Sorry, it's members only"? :lol:

It's about time that Andy F was behind a set of decks again. :lol:

As the Strictest Door Whore in the World, I think it would be only right and proper....I mean, you can't just let any ol' riff raff in, can you laugh.gif:lol: I couldn't agree with you more - Andy F should be out and about far more than he is. See you there :no: Jo

Guest vinylvixen

:no: Sorry Jo, would love to come to this but it clashes with the "Stolen Hours" anniversary in Ramsgate. :lol:

"STOLEN HOURS" 1st Anniversary, ***RAMSGATE*** 24th NOVEMBER.

2 Rooms + Accomodation + Free unissued Vinyl (first 100 tickets)

*** Change of venue - see Events thread ***

I know :lol: I've spoken to Mark and he's fine about it. If Paul could've been 50 any other time, that would've been ideal. But he's such a stickler for dates laugh.gif Maybe, we'll have a 'Jo is 48' knees up if this one goes well..... :lol: Any excuse :lol: Give Pegwell Bay my love. Jo

I know sad.gif I've spoken to Mark and he's fine about it. If Paul could've been 50 any other time, that would've been ideal. But he's such a stickler for dates :lol: Maybe, we'll have a 'Jo is 48' knees up if this one goes well..... rolleyes.gif Any excuse :lol: Give Pegwell Bay my love. Jo

Bolox, why do all the best nights clash :( i too will be peeing over the cliffs of Pegwell bay so have a great night all and looking forward to your 48th Jo :lol:

Guest vinylvixen

Bolox, why do all the best nights clash :( i too will be peeing over the cliffs of Pegwell bay so have a great night all and looking forward to your 48th Jo :D

So am I. Looks like I'll have to round everyone up in March and it'll be £1.50 on the door plus you bring cake :thumbup: Let them have soul and cake smile.gif Let's see how this one goes :lol: Jo

So am I. Looks like I'll have to round everyone up in March and it'll be £1.50 on the door plus you bring cake laugh.gif Let them have soul and cake :D Let's see how this one goes :( Jo

the big 40 for me next year in May and its on a Saturday :thumbup: i wonder what on earth i could possibly do :lol:

Guest vinylvixen

Maybe we could have a few? :thumbup:

You'd have to come down from York....and maybe take in the odd Millwall game or two....I'm sure we could syncronise soul and football rolleyes.gif Jo

Guest vinylvixen

Deadliest of enemies! Catch the film Green Street next time it's on Sky. (Mind you it seems a bit strange a Hobbit being a hooligan :thumbup: )

I'll be speaking to you on the 24th Paul...hobbits, football - it's all Pete Tong. If you see Dave, ask him to come along too. Jo

Guest vinylvixen

Didn't we celebrate that in 1983? :ohmy:

Oh miaow.... :lol: shame you won't be with us on the 24th but you can dj for me at my 50th as my present biggrin.gif there, that's sorted x

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Oh miaow.... :thumbsup: shame you won't be with us on the 24th but you can dj for me at my 50th as my present :lol: there, that's sorted x

...You bring the TARDIS, I'll bring the tunes :thumbup: ToneXXX

Seriously, I'll probably be able to use my senior citizens' bus pass to get there by the time your big 5-0 really rolls around, but I'd be both flattered an honoured to play a record or two for you, hon'....

Guest vinylvixen

...You bring the TARDIS, I'll bring the tunes wink.gif ToneXXX

Seriously, I'll probably be able to use my senior citizens' bus pass to get there by the time your big 5-0 really rolls around, but I'd be both flattered an honoured to play a record or two for you, hon'....

You've only got 2 21/2 years to sort out your record box :lol: I'm off to get links for nearby hotels so people can get sloshed :lol: Back in a bit. Jo

Right-o!

Train tickets are booked

Hotel is booked (somewhere in Russell Square)

Tickets to see the Terracotta Army (well - section) booked

Tickets to see a restoration comedy on Friday booked

Chrimbo shopping on Saturday

Party Saturday night - really looking forward to seeing all those familiar faces again

West Ham v Tottenham on Sunday is unfortunately sold out sad.gif so I'll have to find a pub and watch WHU beat the scum there.

Still need to sort something out for Sunday night

Records coming out of storage tommorrow - yippee!

All is right in my little world :(

So am I. Looks like I'll have to round everyone up in March and it'll be £1.50 on the door plus you bring cake :rolleyes: Let them have soul and cake :lol: Let's see how this one goes :lol: Jo

In the diary so will have a chat end of Nov beginning of Dec. SoulCake - I like it. Thats it, pop a copyright on that for March then. All the best for the 24th we will be thinking of you all - promise :ohmy: Mark.

Guest vinylvixen

In the diary so will have a chat end of Nov beginning of Dec. SoulCake - I like it. Thats it, pop a copyright on that for March then. All the best for the 24th we will be thinking of you all - promise :rolleyes: Mark.

Likewise...I'll miss the sound of the seagulls and the pounding surf at Pegwell....wonder if Paul could be 50 on another weekend :ohmy: Have a good 'un. Soul Cake here we come :lol: Jo

Guest vinylvixen

Haven't had time to post up hotel links but there's a Novotel, Travelodge, Premier Inn and a couple on lastminute.com in and around Euston Road/ Great Portland St. I'll get the links up when I get back from York on Monday unless anyone else finds the links before me...phew - it's nearly the 24th :lol: Jo

As the Strictest Door Whore in the World, I think it would be only right and proper....I mean, you can't just let any ol' riff raff in, can you :ohmy::lol: I couldn't agree with you more - Andy F should be out and about far more than he is. See you there :unsure: Jo

I remember you over the microphone telling off a couple for jiving, no jiving allowed, we will have to ask you to leave if you keep jiving,..............loved it.

Lorraine

Oh and I remember you stopping the music and turning on the lights when a handbag went missing at CIS Manchester. If the bag is not back in 15 mins the night is over and you're all going home,.......... fantastic, and the bag came back!

Well done Jo never change - see you on the 24th

Lorraine

Aug/Sept 1999 I was in Virgin Megastore in Oxford St looking for a jazz compilation CD. Had a bit of time to spare before a client meeting and wondered down the racks of CDs stopping abruptly at the soul section as there was a section for 'Northern Soul'. Blimey, they've put some of that on CD I thought. Finished my soul days back in 1982 when I sold the last of the collection and was amazed that most of the RCA originals I used to have were on the track listings. Spent the evening boring the wife about the 'old days' and how that was real music, much better than the rubbish in the charts at the time. Anyway, I noticed on the sleeve notes a Northern Soul Website which was These Old Shoes. 'Hey it's on this Thursday and you know what, I'm going' She looked at me as if I were really sad and promptly declined the offer of a 'real soul night out'. Now I hadn't been to a soul night for years so was both excited and a bit nervous about the whole thing especially as I didn't recognise any of the tunes for the first couple of hours. 'Got any oldies' I asked - These are oldies came back the reply. Good sounds I thought tho'. By this time I'd got talking to a few bods and felt really at home - 'definitely have to come back next month'. Jo finished off the night and got the whole place rocking and that sealed it for me - it was if I'd never left.

The point of all of this is; These Old Shoes was probably one of the main reasons I got back into the scene, not just me but hundreds of other soulies in London. TOS, 100 club, Scenesville and The Dome are all part of soul's heritage and today's scene wouldn't be the same if they hadn't been there. Jo, Paul and Martin - got to take my hat off to you all and it'll be a pleasure to be at the renuion of what ,for me, was one of the happiest times of my life.

Cheers m'dears

Warren

Guest vinylvixen

Here's an Xmas party photo. How many can you name?

Nearly all of them - including the ravishing Cristina and the lovely Dawn Brown...and always handsome whichever way you look at him - In Town Mikey. Blimey - I'd forgotten about the Jack Daniels decoration on the wall - most attractive :thumbsup: Sue Parker's living in Turkey now and Tony should be coming down on the 24th. Can't wait :thumbsup: Jo

Nearly all of them - including the ravishing Cristina and the lovely Dawn Brown...and always handsome whichever way you look at him - In Town Mikey. Blimey - I'd forgotten about the Jack Daniels decoration on the wall - most attractive :thumbsup: Sue Parker's living in Turkey now and Tony should be coming down on the 24th. Can't wait :thumbsup: Jo

Have a top night there Jo, sounds good but sadly can't make it down as I'm elsewhere the same night playing at being a DJ.....lol, we really must do lunch sometime soon...faggots and chips sounds smashing, talk soon and have a right old knees up next week.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Guest vinylvixen

Have a top night there Jo, sounds good but sadly can't make it down as I'm elsewhere the same night playing at being a DJ.....lol, we really must do lunch sometime soon...faggots and chips sounds smashing, talk soon and have a right old knees up next week.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Cheers matey...and you can do the Cake and Soul bash next year....could I lure you down to the Smoke with a promise of something 'large'.... :unsure: See you soon. JO x

Guest CapitolSC

Gonna be a top night Jo

just a shame the venue has not got the wonkey dancefloor

and the smell of Old Father Thames trying to gain entry.

Will we have the fabled disco lights?

Al H :thumbsup:

Source Advert