Jimmy Thomas - Mirwood

'Where There's Will' on Mirwood, can someone just confirm how you tell the original from the second issue. Also whats the current value on an original?

Cheers,

Adam.

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

'Where There's Will' on Mirwood, can someone just confirm how you tell the original from the second issue. Also whats the current value on an original?

Cheers,

Adam.

The blue label styrene copy is all right but not to sure about the vinyl copies anymore. Think there are two different vinyl bootlegs and one vinyl original.

Great record that has got a bit left out these days, but not at my house!

Social source share

Im no expert but won't the originals have delta marks, so 6... something or other. Also I think the purple copies are pukka.

ROD

The dark blue label styrene originals of this release were not made by Monarch, so do not have a Delta Number.

Thats the trouble with Mirwood there are different rules for different releases.

Social source share

The purple ones are styrene and pukka.

I'll quote JM guide be easier.....

Boot... on vinyl moulded label with poor letter definition.

Original is either vinyl or styrene. Vinyl copy has a stamp in matrix "11" followed by a scratched in "sm". The rarer styrene copy has a rich purple/blue label. "bm" scratched in deadwax.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Cheers for the replies so far. I've got a vinyl copy, dark blue labels. In the deadwax is a delta number 62554-X then scratched in BM and 66-3015-B-45. Pretty sure this is an original? If so what sort of value is this at the moment?

Cheers,

Adam.

Social source share

Cheers for the replies so far. I've got a vinyl copy, dark blue labels. In the deadwax is a delta number 62554-X then scratched in BM and 66-3015-B-45. Pretty sure this is an original? If so what sort of value is this at the moment?

Cheers,

Adam.

Hi Adam

I'd love to be able to help with this one, Unfortunately It's one that I've never owned.

Hope to one day, when funds allow, but I'm collecting such a lot of stuff lately.

From your description regarding DELTA 62554-X It does appear to be OK as it is a "B Side" and the "-X" is there.

Mainly Mirwood Monarchs are STYRENE However one of my copies of "The Duck" is a Vinyl Monarch DELTA.

Also looks right from what I can see of the Label, from your scan.

However;

The dark blue label styrene originals of this release were not made by Monarch, so do not have a Delta Number.

Thats the trouble with Mirwood there are different rules for different releases.

So I'm NOT 100% SURE

Thing is there are that many different Variations with each Mirwood release.

I have just bought this one.

Mirwood_5512a_DJ.gifMirwood_5512b_DJ.gif

The Styrene press reminds me of a Ric-Tic with the T1 scratched in at 180 degrees to the Matrix.

plus "66-2000-A"

According to Manships 3rd Edition it is Valued at £25, not sure of Todays Value.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Hi Adam

I'd love to be able to help with this one, Unfortunately It's one that I've never owned.

Hope to one day, when funds allow, but I'm collecting such a lot of stuff lately.

From your description regarding DELTA 62554-X It does appear to be OK as it is a "B Side" and the "-X" is there.

Mainly Mirwood Monarchs are STYRENE However one of my copies of "The Duck" is a Vinyl Monarch DELTA.

Also looks right from what I can see of the Label, from your scan.

Cheers for that, I hate it when a 100% answer is so elusive! Looking to put this copy up for sale on my next website update, but want to be sure it's the 'real deal' before I do. From all the info so far I think it is plus the fact it came from a very relable source who has never given me a boot/reissue before.

Adam.

Social source share

• 8 years later...
On 6 February 2008 at 19:48, Adam Topping said:

Cheers,

Adam.

I have just bought a vinyl M- copy that matches the description plus it has a stamped MR circled. I have compared it to my other Mirwood records and I am sure it is an original. Monarch Delta 62554 dates it to July/August 1966 which ties in with the release date.

Social source share

One of the earlier Jimmy Thomas pressings is easy to tell just by the fact that the run out on Where theres a will is massive.

Dont some of the mirwoods have a scratched H in deadwax?

Are the final two releases (Performers) the only legit black releases?

I know I cant stop you is on blue as well but is there a blue Set me free?

Sorry Adam gone off on a tangent.

Tricky

Social source share

On 01/01/2017 at 21:57, Derek Pearson said:

Er Mister Banks can you explain why you've got a suitcase packed full of just one record......?

Tales from yesteryear - let's hear it one more time chaps eh from those that know the full story.

Derek x

I knew TB did The Beautiful Night, which he said was the only one he did. Surely he didn't rip off poor old Jimmy twice? 

Social source share

On 04/01/2017 at 19:36, ady croasdell said:

I knew TB did The Beautiful Night, which he said was the only one he did. Surely he didn't rip off poor old Jimmy twice? 

Left the piano intro off it if memory serves me well. Think there was a problem (crack/chip), with the disc he lifted it off.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert