Flodavieur-gloria Lucas

• Replies 34
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I doubt it he's long gone and I'm dealing with Flodavieur herself.

I'm piecing together a listing at the moment.

the tobi bullard isn't a different take, it's just lower fidelity than the lyrics so it sounds different. plus it was never a real release anyways, even if it was somehow associated with the label, so it probably shouldn't be included.

Social source share

Adey hope these help???????

Additional Flodavieur releases not strictly soul at all these though

801 common people look arround b/w dawn of life released 1967

802 " " oh my my b/w days on my mind " 1967

both garage/rock

? lashambu trio Symongo b/w ?

1301 Preston Epps rockin in the Congo

no further info to hand suspect they may be Jazz related or African rock?

THE MAN IN BLACK

Social source share

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/Toby-Bu...ard#entry206206

the tobi bullard isn't a different take, it's just lower fidelity than the lyrics so it sounds different. plus it was never a real release anyways, even if it was somehow associated with the label, so it probably shouldn't be included.

I will put the sound clip up for The Lyrics.

Tobi has no hand clap from memory.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

thanks, I will listen when I get home and see if I can hear the difference, you must have a better ear than me.

I have the other lyrics 45 on GNP crescendo, it's a straight psych 45, no soul side at all

Better or bigger, ear ru calling me big hears.

Not really I just know where to look.

post-6504-1208476947_thumb.jpg

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Bob,

I'm playing both reords at the moment.. TB the sound is low ad pretty awful in comparision..and I've given up trying to decide if it's different in any way as it's so poorly reproduced.

But we should respect the efforts of the maker to convince us all this was a real record. The hand sandpapering of the blank flipside, the good old "carpet rub" label distressing and the tiny scratches on the vinyl to bolster the alledged story of 14 copies found on a garage floor.

Flodavier as the label choice, is not convicing with all the design in computer generated text with 1971 on the label.

As you suggest this was a flawed piece of devilish ingenuity not a real record.

Which you you think are the rarer the sandpapered flipsides or the mint copies with the blank flipside, you can use as a mirror?

As for Adey's question on Gloria Lucas I've had the record twice but not for quite a few years, so someone in the UK must have a copy. But Nancy Yahiro must have the finest Flodavier collection in the world so she would be the person to contact as she certainly has a copy.

Dave Polk according to Maria Stansell (Vernon Greene's Wife) is long since dead, he was a black guy(dispelling rumours he was a white producer making it more than like The Antellects were a black group.)

On the Toby Bullard the record is the ommision of Dave Polk publishing company which by memory I think is Da-Tan. Which I think you'll find on every Dave Polk production.

John

Social source share

Anyone have any info on The Inconquerables? Price, rarity? Is it as tough as the Antellects?

Inconquerables - For Your Love / Wait For Me - FLODAVIEUR 803

A copy sold on eBay back in January 2005 for $671, but as it's so long ago that really doesn't mean anything I guess.

Social source share

Thanks folks and any leads on Gloria or the Inconquerables would be appreciated. Andy Killick has the latter apparently so I'll ask him at some stage what the SP is.

Cheers for the extra info John, Dave is long gone and his widow passed a couple of years ago. I'm dealing with the very charming daughter, Flodavieur herself but as she was 7 when most of these were cut, I'm trying to piece together info on the label and Dave.

Ady

Social source share

I found a reference to a John Lemon Quintet 45 on FLODAVIEUR in an old sales list from Nancy Yahiro as well, but it was not listed with a catalogue number (can it be 805?). I've included it below.

FLODAVIEUR 601 - Billy Larkins - Play It Cool / But I Wonder

FLODAVIEUR 801 - Common People - Look Around / Dawn Of My Life

FLODAVIEUR 802 - Common People - Oh My My / Days On My Mind

FLODAVIEUR 803 - Inconquerables - For Your Love / Wait For Me

FLODAVIEUR 804 - Antellects - Love Slave / Don't Let It Happen

FLODAVIEUR 805 -

FLODAVIEUR 806 - Lashambu Trio - Symongo / Out Of The Wilderness

FLODAVIEUR 807 - Gloria Lucas - You Won't Be True / ?

FLODAVIEUR 1301 - Preston Epps - Rockin' In The Congo / ?

FLODAVIEUR 702 - Billy Larkins - That's A Lie / Looking On

FLODAVIEUR 801 - Billy Larkins - Play It Cool / But I Wonder

FLODAVIEUR ? - John Lemon Quintet - Doing The Doo / It's All Right

FLODAVIEUR ? - Ruben Wilson - ? / ?

What's up with the Billy Larkins 45s? Are the numbers right?

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Anyone have any info on The Inconquerables? Price, rarity? Is it as tough as the Antellects?

Also has it had any action anywhere?

cheers

The Inconquerables used to be considered a $2000 record for the doo-wop flipside, let alone the Northern Soul side. It comes in black or gold vinyl. The doo-wop side is very raw street level harmony, which apparently is the attraction.

As I said before Nancy Yahiro owns most, if not all the 45s on the label.. she's the gal to contact Aidy.

Social source share

The Inconquerables used to be considered a $2000 record for the doo-wop flipside, let alone the Northern Soul side. It comes in black or gold vinyl. The doo-wop side is very raw street level harmony, which apparently is the attraction.

As I said before Nancy Yahiro owns most, if not all the 45s on the label.. she's the gal to contact Aidy.

didn't the inconquerables come out TWICE on the label with one common side between the two releases? I'm pretty sure I've seen the other one for sale on ebay like 4-5 years ago.

Social source share

didn't the inconquerables come out TWICE on the label with one common side between the two releases? I'm pretty sure I've seen the other one for sale on ebay like 4-5 years ago.

I must be wrong, I found the ebay auction I was referring to on popsike, this was the text:

inconquerables.JPG

Click to view supersized image

Inconquerables - "For Your Love" b/w "Wait For Me" (Flodavieur 803). This release has a great group cut on one side that features a strong up-tempo beat and incredible soul that is made for dancing. Flip is a doo-wop cut with strong oohs & ahhs and even a recitation in the middle. I know little about this record. I picked it up in a junk shop in Iowa back more than 20 years ago and have had it in my collection ever since. I've seen a record listed by this group as Flodavieur 606 (and that number appears on this label on the Wait For Me side - F-605 for "For Your Love" and F-606 for the "Wait For Me" side), but the information I saw had "Wait For Me" and another song (not "For Your Love") listed. I've also seen 606 listed as being on yellow wax, but this copy is plain old black vinyl. Is it rare? I don't know, but I'll leave that up to you. I really won't mind if it doesn't sell - I'll just put it back in my collection for another decade or two. Record is in VG condition with some writing on the label. Postage & insurance will be paid by purchaser.

Social source share

• 6 months later...

I found a reference to a John Lemon Quintet 45 on FLODAVIEUR in an old sales list from Nancy Yahiro as well, but it was not listed with a catalogue number (can it be 805?). I've included it below.

FLODAVIEUR 601 - Billy Larkins - Play It Cool / But I Wonder

FLODAVIEUR 801 - Common People - Look Around / Dawn Of My Life

FLODAVIEUR 802 - Common People - Oh My My / Days On My Mind

FLODAVIEUR 803 - Inconquerables - For Your Love / Wait For Me

FLODAVIEUR 804 - Antellects - Love Slave / Don't Let It Happen

FLODAVIEUR 805 -

FLODAVIEUR 806 - Lashambu Trio - Symongo / Out Of The Wilderness

FLODAVIEUR 807 - Gloria Lucas - You Won't Be True / ?

FLODAVIEUR 1301 - Preston Epps - Rockin' In The Congo / ?

FLODAVIEUR 702 - Billy Larkins - That's A Lie / Looking On

FLODAVIEUR 801 - Billy Larkins - Play It Cool / But I Wonder

FLODAVIEUR ? - John Lemon Quintet - Doing The Doo / It's All Right

FLODAVIEUR ? - Ruben Wilson - ? / ?

What's up with the Billy Larkins 45s? Are the numbers right?

Just come across this thread whilst searching for info on a few 45s. Can help with the details on the discog above:

Flodavieur 603 Ruben Wilson Quartet - Cooking In Grease (Inst) b/w Rod Run (Inst)

Social source share

Just come across this thread whilst searching for info on a few 45s. Can help with the details on the discog above:

Flodavieur 603 Ruben Wilson Quartet - Cooking In Grease (Inst) b/w Rod Run (Inst)

If you've got a copy Flodavieur and I would be very grateful for a loan of it. CDs in thanks. PM me if you're up for it.

Ta

Ady

Social source share

If you've got a copy Flodavieur and I would be very grateful for a loan of it. CDs in thanks. PM me if you're up for it.

Ta

Ady

Hi Ady,

Yes I've got a copy and you're welcome to borrow it....will PM you a bit later as just got to start getting dinner ready!

Adam.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert