Beginners & Enders

Was just wondering the other day about different begining & ending records at venue`s throught northern soul history, we all know the famous 3 before 8, can you knowlegable people give me any more from other venues, also what is the best record in your opinion to kick the night off to a good start :lol:

Social source share

• Replies 44
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Was just wondering the other day about different begining & ending records at venue`s throught northern soul history, we all know the famous 3 before 8, can you knowlegable people give me any more from other venues, also what is the best record in your opinion to kick the night off to a good start :lol:

Hi Harry the last record at the Mecca was Calfornia Mountage Young Holt Unlimted.

At the Legion we used the inst of Calfornia Dreamin, by Wes Mountgommery on Verve.

Dave

Social source share

Sometimes an early evening "warm-up" DJ happens to put a record on that happens to tick all the boxes & all of a sudden the night has started.

The Sherrys is reckoned to be the 1st tune played at Wigan - sad thing is on the first night a cock up with memberships etc. meant that a lot of people were still outside when that tune hit the decks.

Edited by epic
Social source share

Last record ever played at Blackpool Mecca by Colin Curtis (his last Saturday night there - not All Dayers that followed) was Celeste Hardie - "You're Gone"

Best ender for a night.. I've got a few but the first that come to mind is The Dells - make sure.... I'm sure I've heard Ady finish Cleethorpes weekender with this at somepoint (maybe wrong, I certainly wasn't sober by the end on most years!) I've certainly heard Neil Jones end many a night with it. Neil's has had a few good enders over the years at Bury. The other one that springs to mind is a track called Mr Moonlight - can't remember who it's by.

You can't beat a bit of Motown to get a night going (imho)... a bit of Gladys Knight... :lol:

Jayne.x

Social source share

Was the last record at the cleethorpes pier nighters-CHARLES MANN-ITS ALL OVER? never went myself but someone told me this was allways the last record, also it still sticks in my head, walking through the doors into the main hall at wigan for the first time to MICHAEL & RAYMOND-MAN WITHOUT A WOMAN, also heard somewhere that the ending record for THE FLEET-PETERBOROUGH was VALERIE & BOBBY CAPERS-WEST 4TH STREET, don`t know wether thats right tho :lol:

Social source share

Best ender for a night.. I've got a few but the first that come to mind is The Dells - make sure.... I'm sure I've heard Ady finish Cleethorpes weekender with this at somepoint (maybe wrong, I certainly wasn't sober by the end on most years!) I've certainly heard Neil Jones end many a night with it. Neil's has had a few good enders over the years at Bury. The other one that springs to mind is a track called Mr Moonlight - can't remember who it's by.

You can't beat a bit of Motown to get a night going (imho)... a bit of Gladys Knight... :lol:

Jayne.x

I agree Jayne , a bit of motown to get your feet tappin always does the job for me :no: as for enders if it was up to me i would always have either Dey & Knight-gonna love you tomorrow , Tommy collins - I wanta thankyou or Garnett mimms - it was easier to hurt her FABULOUS TRACKS , now all i need is the last spot :lol::no: luv Di xxxx

Social source share

You can't beat a bit of Motown to get a night going (imho)... a bit of Gladys Knight... :unsure:

Jayne.x

This was also the ender which Jo Wallace would spin at that legendary These Old Shoes venue (RIP)

Social source share

You can't beat a bit of Motown to get a night going (imho)... a bit of Gladys Knight... :unsure:

Jayne.x

Lenny O'Henry on Smash ..........

In respect of ending records , I selected The Spinners " For All We Know " to be played at the end of each all - nighter - irrespective of which DJ had the last spot - when I promoted Wakefield Unity .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

In respect of ending records , I selected The Spinners " For All We Know " to be played at the end of each all - nighter - irrespective of which DJ had the last spot - when I promoted Wakefield Unity .........

Malc Burton

Beat me to it! Great choice of finisher which seemed to sum up both the fact the night was over and also respect to the fact we were lucky to have been together.Enjoyed WU a lot.

Cory Glover - Little Girl that's the one that does it for me when used as a finisher.

Paul

Social source share

Always kicked off my spot with summat uptempo, usually something like Gary Haines - Keep On Going, Inspirations - Your Wish Is My Command, but always ended with Gene Stridel - Tomorrow Is Another Day, fantastic ender for any night IMHO :P

Social source share

I always used Millie Jackson's sublime "Ask Me What You Want" as the ender to the Rotherham Clifton Hall nighters.

Now available on the Kent CD "Soul For The Dancefloor".

:P

Sean

I must have gone to most if not all the clifton hall allnighters & i never new that sean, brilliant nighter imho loved the place thumbup.gif

Social source share

Not sure of the regular one but the last ever record at the Catacombes in Wolverhampton was Walter Jackson - Where have all the flowers gone thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Malc Burton

Thanks Malc.

Jayne.x. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

Wasn't Morecambes Donna King "Take Me Home" and Williams and Watson "Too Late"? Love both of those still.

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

Thinking back it was three tracks - Too Late, then something I can't remember now, and then 'Take Me Home', getting slower all the time.

You knew it was time to go after Too Late though, while your legs were still working :D:lol:

Social source share

Was just wondering the other day about different begining & ending records at venue`s throught northern soul history, we all know the famous 3 before 8, can you knowlegable people give me any more from other venues, also what is the best record in your opinion to kick the night off to a good start :D

When I get the last spot at Banbury I play 'My baby loves me' Martha Reeves, its a bit downbeat but a fantastic record to finish the night on

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

I used to end my spots with

Four Tops "Where did you go" or the other side "Ask the lonely"

what fantastic records :D

Edited by Awake 502
Social source share

Was just wondering the other day about different begining & ending records at venue`s throught northern soul history, we all know the famous 3 before 8, can you knowlegable people give me any more from other venues, also what is the best record in your opinion to kick the night off to a good start :D

1st record - Karmello Brooks - tell me baby

best ender - George Lemmons - Fascinating Girl

may have been the 100 club about 1991

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Tony Reynolds at the Outrigger used to always end with Verdelle Smith - Piece of the sky... I have loved that track ever since..

I was talking about enders to a friend the other day but from the early House scene in B'ham, we loved the Hummingbird circa 89 / 90 and things like Chris Rea - Josephine was a big ender back then, along with a host of other records you would never had though would be spun...

The ender has a place on every scene in its own right, and I recon if you like one you will most likely like the others if you get my meaning...The Andrew Weatherall Remix of James's - Come Home was also big at the Bird.....

Personally though Marva josie and walter Jackson from the 100 Club are a perfect example, but I cant help loving the fifty or so others that come to mind..

Mal :wave:

Social source share

hi

when i used to run lime street club with a few kown jocks

my first was

fidels-try a little harder

last for the night

johnny gilliam-room full of tears

when we ran black lion manchester

my first was

lorraine chandler-i cant hold on

last

masqueraders-how

i always did first spot and last spot more offten than not

sid

Social source share

Guest Soul On A Stick

Hi Harry

As you say most past venues had or their favourite starters and Enders.

When we run our once a year charity nights Denise LaSalle "here I am again" is always used to start off the event, to finish it's either Bobby Paris "I walked away" or if I manage to get my own way :thumbsup: Timi Yuro "it'll never be over for me" smile.gif

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Harry the last record at the Mecca was Calfornia Mountage Young Holt Unlimted.

At the Legion we used the inst of Calfornia Dreamin, by Wes Mountgommery on Verve.

Dave

Last record ever played by Colin Curtis at the Mecca 2.30 am Blacpool Mecca reunion 28/29 Nov 1998 was Centre City - Fat Larrys Band

Social source share

Was just wondering the other day about different begining & ending records at venue`s throught northern soul history, we all know the famous 3 before 8, can you knowlegable people give me any more from other venues, also what is the best record in your opinion to kick the night off to a good start :ohmy:

I seem to remember being at Wigan one night, and I think it may have been Brian Rae finishing off, trying to establish Geri Grainger - I Go To Pieces as the 4th before 8, announcing his intention over the mic to make it so. Can't be sure if it was Brian, but sure I recall the moment.

Steve Lydon likes to try and finish with Little Anthony - Hurt So Bad at The Attic night, that seems to work, although I have spun Cathy Carlson as an alternative a couple of times - just to annoy Steve.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vinylvixen

This was also the ender which Jo Wallace would spin at that legendary These Old Shoes venue (RIP)

The Dells is my funeral record :D Tony Rounce hates it but I forgive him :excl: Jo x

Social source share

I must have gone to most if not all the clifton hall allnighters & i never new that sean, brilliant nighter imho loved the place :D

Hello Harry,

is that picture of Yvonne Vernee from my old record lists?

Coorectone record artist!

Best all time ender Tony Michaels "I love the life i live (and live the life i love" Golden World.

Regards

Social source share

Gene Townsell - I'm walking away - Dobre was the ender every session at both Abshott & Newbury........always bought the house down, people knew it was the end of the night & went home wanting more.................I remember discussing the 'ender' before our very first event, much to a couple of the residents amusment, but I feel its a very important moment in a night, as this is the last thing folk will remember & the 'ender' therefore needs to leave a lasting impression.

Russ

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert