• Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Frances Nero - Keep On lovin' Me c/w Fight Fire With Fire - Soul 35020 £409

Jeezum Crow!

It just goes to show its all marketing, I don't think anyone else could get these prices, unbelievable!!

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

It just goes to show its all marketing, I don't think anyone else could get these prices, unbelievable!!

I was thinking exactly the same thing. £281 for the Stratoliners? No chance anywhere else.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

has anyone ever met someone who has paid for one of these expensive tunes? :thumbsup:

I believe there are definately people out there prepared to pay these prices, it's a big world. I obviously don't mix with that many millionaires. I've got to be honest even if i won the lottery tomorrow i wouldn't pay twice the worth just to have a 45. That's just me though.

Social source share

Silhouettes - Not Me Baby - Goodway £776

Jay and the Americans - Livin' Above Your Head - United Artists Demo £89

Stratoliners - What Do You Want With My Love - Federal promo £281

Sequins - He's A Flirt c/w That Boy - Renfro £695

Melvin Brown & James Matthews - Love Stormy Weather - Philmore Sound £819

September Jones - I'm Coming Home c/w No More Love - Kapp promo £306

Standards Of Living - Cup Up c/w Cut Up Mr. Kool - Pacific Records £500

Listen - You'd Better Run c/w Everybody's Gonna Say - CBS demo £286

Arin Demain - Silent Treatment - Blue Star room £1002

Roy Roberts - I Know What To Do To Satisfy You - Tina £608

Marvin Gaye - I'll Be Doggone - Tamla Motown EP S france £125

Billy Bulter - The Right Track c/w The Boston Monkey - Soul City £55

Universal Joint - Love Won't Wear Off (as the years wear on) - Sniff £398

Jerry Cook - I Hurt On The Other Side - Capitol promo £206

WORLDS GONE MAD

ROY ROBERTS :thumbsup:

STRATOLINERS :(

SEQUINS :lol:

WHY

Social source share

I was unfamiliar with the Standards of Living 45 until the auction and was pretty impressed with the snippets I heard: competent low-budget disco-funk. Does anyone have a full soundclip they can post up in Refosoul?

I used to have this but swapped it out a few years ago. Unfortunatley there's a chance the winner may be sorely dissapointed when they actually get it as the clip avoids the vocals which come in half way into what was the 2nd half of the clip...lets just say the copies that get played out are edits putting the good part of part one together with the good parts of side 2. Maybe being unfair, it's not an attrocious tune but when you've been used to hearing an edit played out (not knowing it's an edit) and then you get a proper copy,you can understand why it was edited. Bit like Funcky Brother on Smoke, and the Fab Originals (two of Wrighty's jobs) I know of three people (myself included) who had/have the Standards of Living and made an edit and got rid of the '45. If I can find the clip I made of the record before selling it I'll post it up - was actually looking for it today as it happens.

Social source share

credit crunch my arse ph34r.gif

What are the end prices on other auctions like? Do they go for the expected prices, book prices or over the odds? The couple I've ever looked at, one seems to have the same records over and over again on about a 3 month rotation; the other seem to be just records out of the owners collection with a reserve bids of about 150% of what you'd expect as a top price for them.

Social source share

Jeezum Crow!

For a label collector this is solid gold and prob worth every penny to the owner. The label design had changed several records earlier. I remember writing to motown when i was still at school and getting a label listing for SOUL, long before Frank Wilson was Eddie Foster. By rights this shouldn't exist! First I've ever seen, I've got every issue (that were issued) and most white demos. Bid on this but didn't get it, congratulations to the person who did. If I'd had the funds I'd have gone more, lovelly just to see it. Scene has always been about rarity - long may it continue to be so.

Social source share

For a label collector this is solid gold and prob worth every penny to the owner. The label design had changed several records earlier. I remember writing to motown when i was still at school and getting a label listing for SOUL, long before Frank Wilson was Eddie Foster. By rights this shouldn't exist! First I've ever seen, I've got every issue (that were issued) and most white demos. Bid on this but didn't get it, congratulations to the person who did. If I'd had the funds I'd have gone more, lovelly just to see it. Scene has always been about rarity - long may it continue to be so.

You are so very right..The Frances Nero White & Lilac was the very same copy I auctioned 10 years ago and got £300+ for it. I thought it went too cheap it is only the second copy I have ever seen.

The person who won it, a serious Motown collector must be ecstatic, I'm pleased for him, as he got pipped on the Patrice Holloway - VIP last month.

PS before being shocked @ the final price first consider Jerry Cook was STONE-MINT unplayed!

Sequins original is seriously tough to find.. So I don't think there were many surprises on this auction except Roy Roberts which went for double our estimate and Robert Plant's - Listen went for 25% less.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

You are so very right..The Frances Nero White & Lilac was the very same copy I auctioned 10 years ago and got £300+ for it. I thought it went too cheap it is only the second copy I have ever seen.

The person who won it, a serious Motown collector must be ecstatic, I'm pleased for him, as he got pipped on the Patrice Holloway - VIP last month.

PS before being shocked @ the final price first consider Jerry Cook was STONE-MINT unplayed!

Sequins original is seriously tough to find.. So I don't think there were many surprises on this auction except Roy Roberts which went for double our estimate and Robert Plant's - Listen went for 25% less.

Hi John Dave Rivers he's had a Sequins in his sales box for ages cant sell it at £600

Pep has one of those Frances Neros

Social source share

Hi John Dave Rivers he's had a Sequins in his sales box for ages cant sell it at £600

Pep has one of those Frances Neros

When the lovely Dave Rivers gets 12million hits a month on his record box, I think he'll sell it.

If anyone's gonna have a Frances Nero first press, someone with the pedigree of Pep would be the most likely place to look. But no doubt there'll be a flood of I've got it, so's my auntie and I sold it for a £1 @ Wigan.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

There you go Roger, 50 popsike hits NOT ONE Lilac & White label design. Those designs up on Popsike are referred to as the SWIRL design label, which is a later press. Lilac & White label is 2/3rds White with the left hand 1/3rd being LILAC.

Should I put the scan up? it is truly beautiful..

Edited by john manship
Social source share

There you go Roger, 50 popsike hits NOT ONE Lilac & White label design. Those designs up on Popsike are referred to as the SWIRL design label, which is a later press. Lilac & White label is 2/3rds White with the left hand 1/3rd being LILAC.

As everyone knows, I do like my Label Variations.

Just wish I had the funds.

Pleased for the Winner of this Extremely Desirable Item.

Would be good to see the scan John.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

As everyone knows, I do like my Label Variations.

Just wish I had the funds.

Pleased for the Winner of this Extremely Desirable Item.

spoken like a true collector..

Social source share

Don't remember ever seeing that top design before

I'm assuming West Coast White DEMO.

150222203965.jpg

I might be wrong though.

West Coast tended to use Older Design a while after East Coast had changed to New Design.

As happened with the Gordy Label.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Well i'm more than happy at the price the lilac & white went for..............after recently purchasing one for my good self :lol::lol::yes:

Stick the scan up John, it truly is beautiful :P

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

The lilac and white design looks like a styrene 45, and the more common purple design is a vinyl 45.

The pressing plant that did the styrene copy(Monarch?) maybe used the old design label longer than the vinyl plant. Unlesss there are purple design styrene copies about?

Edited by Guest
Social source share

The lilac and white design looks like a styrene 45, and the more common purple design is a vinyl 45.

The pressing plant that did the styrene copy(Monarch?) maybe used the old design label longer than the vinyl plant. Unless there are purple design styrene copies about?

You are certainly right, MONACH seemed to have retained the "SOUL" label blanks and used them up on #'s from 35020 to 35029. But there are some of these #s in vinyl using the lilac & white design also.

Frances Nero I've never seen in vinyl (or can't remember) as a White & Lilac but other commoner #s from 35020 to 29 I certainly have.

Bit puzzling, but you are 100% correct in assuming a lilac and white label in the 35020s is much more likely to be a West Coast Monach press, than a vinyl press.

#29 the label universally changed as I've never seen a 35030 in lilac and white.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

your mind has gone then,

you sold me one of these designs about 4 years ago

That's what Leicester City fans do, they try to forget.....everything!

Social source share

your mind has gone then,

you sold me one of these designs about 4 years ago

That's what Leicester City fans do, they try to forget.....everything!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert