Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

It was May 2007 at Northampton. The Elgins and The Four Vandals were on live.

I came along with my good friend to film them.

During rehearsals, there was one woman there who clearly was no fan of mine - "What are YOU doing here ???" "Haven't you done enough harm to our scene", "Why don't you go back to your Disco records and leave us true Northern Soulies alone", etc etc. You know the type, loud and rude and basically stupid.

Anyway, her brain obviously sussed that we were filming, so she kept dancing in front of the cameras to block them, pretending she didn't notice we were filming.

I politely asked her to move - to hear... "We paid to get in here, we support the Northern Soul Scene, so phuck off" was basically the answer I got.

"Oh well" thought I, "don't worry, it's more important to film the show than the rehearsal."

Later than night I was filming the Elgins, SPECIFICALLY to get the one song I wanted to film, my own song "Don't wait Around", which I wrote with Clay McMurray and Karen Pree, which I always wanted on video and never had, and which Chalky had specifically got them to perform, so that we could film it.

And as soon as it started, as soon as the one song that I most needed to film had started, this stupid stupid cow starts dancing right by the camera and purposely bumping my arm with every beat of the song to nudge it and ruin the filming.

"Phuck off" I hissed through clenched teeth.

Knock, nudge, knock, nudge, middle aged old bag with flailing arms trying her best to provoke.

I just saw red. 'PHUKKKKKKKK OFF" I yelled, elbowing her as hard as I could, after eight years of boxing training.

She went flying across the room into a crowd of people and I carried on filming my beloved song.

Later on her irate husband came over to me, angry as hell, having fallen for her bull that she wasn't doing anything wrong and was just minding her own business. Luckily Paddy Grady had a cameraman of his own who was near to me, who saw the whole incident, and backed me up that she was looking for trouble on purpose, just to ruin my filming.

I was actually ready to hit her husband in the end, and I am a non-violent person and have never ever hit anyone ever without being provoked.

I just wanted to share this with you, to show how sometimes Northern Soulies can be much ruder than anyone gives them credit for, and more outspoken than football fanatics.

Social source share

:P

I can't believe there's a 39 page thread on one guy! :ohmy:

Hi Kylee , apart from John Anderson and Simon Sousann ,I doubt if there is anyone who's discovered as many records as Ian Levine ,people can be critical of his richer than many upbringing , but the one thing money can't buy is taste and during the early to late 70's a huge amount of discoveries ,which are still stone classics , were found by Levine.There are so many questions to be answered from this golden era , we're indeed lucky that Ian has a photographic memory of records and events .I can understand if the newer productions are not to everyone's taste [ there are some I really love , others less so , I just take it record by record ] but you can't re - write history and when I first got hooked on the scene in the early 70's , Levine WAS the man .By the way hope the move went ok ? Best wishes ,Eddie

Social source share

If everyone who was interested in Northern Soul thought like you, we'd have all cleared off forever, and there'd be just six of you dancing in a coal cellar, only coming out to picket and harrass the set of a film who dared to call the music "Northern Soul".

You're coming across as a Marxist with fascist tendencies. Quite scary.

''A Marxist with Fascist Tendencies'' :ohmy::P:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:laugh.gif

Its interesting to read that throughout this thread at certain intervals you have used the term 'fascist' several times towards individuals whom have an opinion that differ to that of your own.

Funny how you tend to use that terminology?, when perhaps in hindsight you sir, would have been known as a Lord Haw- Haw. ''This is northern soul calling''.

Edited by Sister Dawn
Social source share

Hi Kylee , apart from John Anderson and Simon Sousann ,I doubt if there is anyone who's discovered as many records as Ian Levine ,people can be critical of his richer than many upbringing , but the one thing money can't buy is taste and during the early to late 70's a huge amount of discoveries ,which are still stone classics , were found by Levine.There are so many questions to be answered from this golden era , we're indeed lucky that Ian has a photographic memory of records and events .I can understand if the newer productions are not to everyone's taste [ there are some I really love , others less so , I just take it record by record ] but you can't re - write history and when I first got hooked on the scene in the early 70's , Levine WAS the man .

You're very kind, Eddie. And you were always one of the good guys.

My upbringing had nothing to do with my finding records, apart from giving me access to The Sates, because my Father refused to give me money to spend on records, and all my trips were self supported by the other collectors and DJs giving me money upfront to bring them back records - this was Colin Curtis, Kev Roberts, Richard Searling, Bernie Golding, Steve and Chris Frost, Mick Smith, loads of them usually gave me £100 each upfront because they knew they'd get wonderful bargains in return. In 1974 I came back with six copies of The Ivorys, and those who'd paid upfront got them for a quid each.

Social source share

Yeah but I paid £500 and I knew it was mega mega rare.

I think I bought it off Paul Capon.

i have just checked and mine is a different record earlier release yours was 804 mine is 802 and the other side is called why dont we fall in love.

anyway they are both very hard to locate i have not found another copy of either of them yet. but as Rhodesia is now Zimbabwe i would imagine it would be nigh on impossible to find one there.

mark

Social source share

''A Marxist with Fashist Tendencies'' :excl::D:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Its interesting to read that throughout this thread at certain intervals you have used the term 'fashist' several times towards individuals whom have an opinion that differ to that of your own.

Well at least he spelt it correctly Dawn :lol:

Social source share

Ian,

Lots of good info and anecdotes on the thread, you'll keep 'em comin' hopefully. Here's a few questions for you...

When you did the MotorCity reunion were there any 'Motowners' that you couldn't locate that you would have liked to have been there?

Did you ever work with Mike Terry or any other arrangers that seemed to have slipped the 'Funk Brothers' net?

If you had to choose ONE and only ONE musical icon (not personality, or 'experience' based), that you feel is the most important contributor to the Rare/Northern soul genre who'd you pick? Apart from yourself of course! (Only joking Matey :excl: ).

Social source share

Ian,

Lots of good info and anecdotes on the thread, you'll keep 'em comin' hopefully. Here's a few questions for you...

When you did the MotorCity reunion were there any 'Motowners' that you couldn't locate that you would have liked to have been there?

Did you ever work with Mike Terry or any other arrangers that seemed to have slipped the 'Funk Brothers' net?

If you had to choose ONE and only ONE musical icon (not personality, or 'experience' based), that you feel is the most important contributor to the Rare/Northern soul genre who'd you pick? Apart from yourself of course! ).

Yes Dave.

1 - Terry Johnson (found him much later), Billy Proctor, The Ones, The Hit Pack, The Freeman Brothers, Tommy Good, plus met some like Junior Walker, Barrett Strong, LaBrenda Ben, R. Dean Taylor, who simply declined, or others like Patrice Holloway who weren't in any state..

2 - Mike Terry came down to United Sound and hung out with us for a couple of days.

3 - Musically, Van McCoy, George Kerr, Curtis Mayfield. (Can't narrow it down to one). DJ wise, it has to be Les Cokell, who was certainly the biggest influence on ME.

Social source share

i have just checked and mine is a different record earlier release yours was 804 mine is 802 and the other side is called why dont we fall in love.

anyway they are both very hard to locate i have not found another copy of either of them yet. but as Rhodesia is now Zimbabwe i would imagine it would be nigh on impossible to find one there.

mark

The other side of mine was equally awesome. So is yours called "Restless" or not ???

Social source share

Well at least he spelt it correctly Dawn

Touche

Might I add that I kept my contributions limited to this thread so as to avoid those people who wished to avoid me. After all, if you're that particular type of person with a fascist mentality, and you believe the Soul Scene should not allow anything other than original records, and no writers and producers should be able or allowed to muddy the pure clean rivers of true pure real soul with anything that heavens forbid might be recorded after 1970, or even worse, might be made to sound like a Northern Soul type of record, perish the thought, and anyone else who thinks otherwise is to be mocked and pilloried and exposed for the money making greedy capitalist charlatan that they are, then surely it seems so simple and easy to just AVOID a thread called "Ian Levine" for fear of sullying the Aryan nature of the purity of the real music, which must not be subverted or tainted at any cost.

And as for capitalism, which is worse ??

Butch paying fifty quid for a record and selling it to Ginger for eight hundred quid, or me spending eighty thousand pounds on a once in a lifetime documentary, to film all the Northern Soul legends, and only recovering back fourteen thousand of the eighty thousand it cost ???

Me clearly, because according to the fascist doctrines, I'm nothing more than a business man who is only on here to promote my product.

Social source share

I repeat YET AGAIN, if it smells like a duck, waddles like a duck, quacks like a duck, flies like a duck, and farts like a duck, then it's a fucking DUCK.

...and I repeat again if I want to see a Picasso exhibition, I don't want to see Fred Trendy from Islington's interpretation of a Picasso. If I want to buy some art deco, I look for a 1920s piece, not something that looks like art deco, but which is made in China in 2008.

I think you just have to accept that not every one views your new product as "northern soul". In the same way as many of us also don't see Rock and roll as northern soul. Please just accept that.

Social source share

...and I repeat again if I want to see a Picasso exhibition, I don't want to see Fred Trendy from Islington's interpretation of a Picasso. If I want to buy some art deco, I look for a 1920s piece, not something that looks like art deco, but which is made in China in 2008.

I think you just have to accept that not every one views your new product as "northern soul". In the same way as many of us also don't see Rock and roll as northern soul. Please just accept that.

And we were getting along SOOOOOOOO well.

Social source share

It was May 2007 at Northampton. The Elgins and The Four Vandals were on live.

I came along with my good friend to film them.

During rehearsals, there was one woman there who clearly was no fan of mine - "What are YOU doing here ???" "Haven't you done enough harm to our scene", "Why don't you go back to your Disco records and leave us true Northern Soulies alone", etc etc. You know the type, loud and rude and basically stupid.

Anyway, her brain obviously sussed that we were filming, so she kept dancing in front of the cameras to block them, pretending she didn't notice we were filming.

I politely asked her to move - to hear... "We paid to get in here, we support the Northern Soul Scene, so phuck off" was basically the answer I got.

"Oh well" thought I, "don't worry, it's more important to film the show than the rehearsal."

Later than night I was filming the Elgins, SPECIFICALLY to get the one song I wanted to film, my own song "Don't wait Around", which I wrote with Clay McMurray and Karen Pree, which I always wanted on video and never had, and which Chalky had specifically got them to perform, so that we could film it.

And as soon as it started, as soon as the one song that I most needed to film had started, this stupid stupid cow starts dancing right by the camera and purposely bumping my arm with every beat of the song to nudge it and ruin the filming.

"Phuck off" I hissed through clenched teeth.

Knock, nudge, knock, nudge, middle aged old bag with flailing arms trying her best to provoke.

I just saw red. 'PHUKKKKKKKK OFF" I yelled, elbowing her as hard as I could, after eight years of boxing training.

She went flying across the room into a crowd of people and I carried on filming my beloved song.

Later on her irate husband came over to me, angry as hell, having fallen for her bull that she wasn't doing anything wrong and was just minding her own business. Luckily Paddy Grady had a cameraman of his own who was near to me, who saw the whole incident, and backed me up that she was looking for trouble on purpose, just to ruin my filming.

I was actually ready to hit her husband in the end, and I am a non-violent person and have never ever hit anyone ever without being provoked.

I just wanted to share this with you, to show how sometimes Northern Soulies can be much ruder than anyone gives them credit for, and more outspoken than football fanatics.

so you can elbow a woman out of the way..using your eight years of Boxing training....yet when the irate Husband arrives, you're a pascifist, none violent, and SHITTING YOURSELF....That's a story to be proud of. :excl:

Social source share

...we have different views on this. It's allowed.

It is, as long as you don't try to choke me by forcing yours down my throat, like certain "ladies" on here have tried to do.

Social source share

so you can elbow a woman out of the way..using your eight years of Boxing training....yet when the irate Husband arrives, you're a pascifist, none violent, and SHITTING YOURSELF....That's a story to be proud of.

I didn't say that and you have misread it.

I was actually ready to hit him, and I totally stood up to him, and it was he who backed down, not me.

The point I was making is that I'm not the violent type, but on this occasion, and even at the risk of disrupting a Northern Soul gig, I really genuinely was ready to deck him one.

And I wish I'd knocked his cow of a wife unconcious.

Social source share

so you can elbow a woman out of the way..using your eight years of Boxing training....yet when the irate Husband arrives, you're a pascifist, none violent, and SHITTING YOURSELF....That's a story to be proud of. :excl:

Yeah but as described I can imaging how annoying this must have been if trying to film. There are some right dummies about. Had one at a venue once who insisted I wasn't "a proper DJ" because I hadn't put Barbara McNair in my 200 box for the night - like it is some type of "must play". When he kept going on I could have decked him quite easily :D Instead just told him he was a merchant banker.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

so you can elbow a woman out of the way..using your eight years of Boxing training....yet when the irate Husband arrives, you're a pascifist, none violent, and SHITTING YOURSELF....That's a story to be proud of.

As I said, not only have you twisted this to suit what you want it to mean rather than the truth, but apart from the fact I was standing up to him and raring to go, my dear six foot eight friend Gavin was close by, and with a mate like that by your side, believe me you NEVER EVER EVER have to be "SHITTING YOURSELF" as you put it, because no-one but NO-ONE messes with the Gav. Not ever. If you had ever seen him, you would know how true that is.

Now granted he has the temper of a Rottweiler, and the tact of a blunderbus, but to me he has been a wonderful and loyal friend, although sometimes, when he does things off his own back, almost too loyal, but nevertheless a wonderful friend, and one of life's true characters, and someone who leaves me always feeling safe and sound.

Social source share

As I said, not only have you twisted this to suit what you want it to mean rather than the truth, but apart from the fact I was standing up to him and raring to go, my dear six foot eight friend Gavin was close by, and with a mate like that by your side, believe me you NEVER EVER EVER have to be "SHITTING YOURSELF" as you put it, because no-one but NO-ONE messes with the Gav. Not ever. If you had ever seen him, you would know how true that is.

Now granted he has the temper of a Rottweiler, and the tact of a blunderbus, but to me he has been a wonderful and loyal friend, although sometimes, when he does things off his own back, almost too loyal, but nevertheless a wonderful friend, and one of life's true characters, and someone who leaves me always feeling safe and sound.

I like Gavin a lot, he's a great bloke, but I could take him with one hand tied behind my back and he knows it, that's why he's always nice to me :excl:

p.s. just seeing if you're paying attention :D

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Forgive me for being a little pedantic on this matter but surely the first article would of been when the phrase was "coined" so to speak and the second time just a re-issue :excl: ...

.....unless I mis-understand the meaning of the term "coined the phrase" as per my on line dictionary

coin (INVENT)

verb [T]

to invent a new word or expression, or to use one in a particular way for the first time:

Allen Ginsberg coined the term "flower power".

QoFxx

Not so, as the phrase "Northern Soul" did not immediately come into general usage, but came into favour gradually over the next couple of years. Godin never said "I know - let's all call it Northern Soul...", but rather gave a general impression of what constituted the Soul scene in the northern clubs at that time, ie. between 1970 and 1971 when those particular B&S articles were written. However, Dave Godin is definitely credited with birthing the phrase and also with helping to define the genre through his writing, which gave a focal point to followers of the music. Ask anyone. We all read Dave Godin's column avidly.

Social source share

You are most welcome.

"California Montage" lives on.

If you read the latest issue of "Theres That Beat" you will see it was played at the last Hamburg weekender to a full dancefloor.
:D

You're meant to press the page down button to get to the reply

Ahhh.........................now I get it thanks Pete
:excl:

Cheers Paul

Social source share

A divergence of opinion as to what constitutes NS is one thing, but calling someone a nazi, a traitor etc, etc, especially someone with Ian's heritage, is a bit over the top in my book. NS changed our lives admittedly, but is it really that important? I love this music, but I wouldn't pretend to 'die' for it any more than I would die for Bob Dylan.

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

It's all to do with the name :excl:

Social source share

I like Gavin a lot, he's a great bloke, but I could take him with one hand tied behind my back and he knows it, that's why he's always nice to me

Yes Smiffy. He's two feet taller than you and was the Captain of Hampstead Rugby Club

Social source share

Not so, as the phrase "Northern Soul" did not immediately come into general usage, but came into favour gradually over the next couple of years. Godin never said "I know - let's all call it Northern Soul...", but rather gave a general impression of what constituted the Soul scene in the northern clubs at that time, ie. between 1970 and 1971 when those particular B&S articles were written. However, Dave Godin is definitely credited with birthing the phrase and also with helping to define the genre through his writing, which gave a focal point to followers of the music. Ask anyone. We all read Dave Godin's column avidly.

Well I can't argue with this.

I had a major row with Colin Curtis a year ago, and he became extremely abusive down the phone, because I had said I thought you were him using a pseudonym.

Social source share

A divergence of opinion as to what constitutes NS is one thing, but calling someone a nazi, a traitor etc, etc, especially someone with Ian's heritage, is a bit over the top in my book. NS changed our lives admittedly, but is it really that important? I love this music, but I wouldn't pretend to 'die' for it any more than I would die for Bob Dylan.

There's a massive difference between calling someone a fascist and calling them a Nazi.

All Nazis were German but not all Germans were Nazis.

All Nazis were fascists but not all fascists were Nazis.

Fascism is an ideal and a despicable way of viewing humanity through a bigoted mind. It's an intolerance of everything else outside of a particular sphere, and a blind and dogged belief that no other way can exist other than the thoughts of the originator, and I saw a lot of fascism displayed on that thread about the film, with certain people insisting over fifty times that only their musical way was the only possible right one - pure fascism in its dictatorial dogma. Laid bare for the world to see. A bit like anti-abortion protestors throwing blood over anyone who tries to pass their picket line, or animal rights groups throwing blood over anyone with a fur coat. If certain people on this forum had their way, and went unchallenged, I would imagine all copies of "Northern Soul 2008" would be heaped onto a huge pile and burned.

Social source share

There's a massive difference between calling someone a fascist and calling them a Nazi.

All Nazis were German but not all Germans were Nazis.

All Nazis were fascists but not all fascists were Nazis.

Fascism is an ideal and a despicable way of viewing humanity through a bigoted mind. It's an intolerance of everything else outside of a particular sphere, and a blind and dogged belief that no other way can exist other than the thoughts of the originator, and I saw a lot of fascism displayed on that thread about the film, with certain people insisting over fifty times that only their musical way was the only possible right one - pure fascism in its dictatorial dogma. Laid bare for the world to see. A bit like anti-abortion protestors throwing blood over anyone who tries to pass their picket line, or animal rights groups throwing blood over anyone with a fur coat. If certain people on this forum had their way, and went unchallenged, I would imagine all copies of "Northern Soul 2008" would be heaped onto a huge pile and burned.

I live in Spain Ian. As you know, they had a fascist government here for nearly 40 years, ending in 1975, when you were setting in motion the 'new order' that would result in the wholesale burning of 'pernicious' dvds in 2008. I can already smell the pyres. Some people need to get a life...

Social source share

dear mr levine

i'm very sorry to see certain people "still having a go" at you, do these people not realise that history is history and that you are going down in history as one of the greatest advocates of northern soul and that they are never going to be remembered, unless you look up the word "sad" in a modern dictionary.

gogs

Social source share

I live in Spain Ian. As you know, they had a fascist government here for nearly 40 years, ending in 1975, when you were setting in motion the 'new order' that would result in the wholesale burning of 'pernicious' dvds in 2008. I can already smell the pyres. Some people need to get a life...

Your reply makes no sense whatsoever, like you switched sides halfway through it.

How come I get a hundred private messages telling me how much they love the thread and how proud they all are for the way I'm defending myself, yet all I seem to get here is ripped to shreds ???

Social source share

Your reply makes no sense whatsoever, like you switched sides halfway through it.

How come I get a hundred private messages telling me how much they love the thread and how proud they all are for the way I'm defending myself, yet all I seem to get here is ripped to shreds ???

A stab at humour. It didn't work. A keyboard will never substitute the human voice.

Social source share

A stab at humour. It didn't work. A keyboard will never substitute the human voice.

I foolishly thought you were having a go, whereas I now realise you were on my side. I am terribly sorry. When you're having dung hurled at you, your immediate instinct is to fend it off as quickly as you can. Sorry, Macca.

Social source share

I Like Gav especially when he was pulling faces behind your back when we was doing the Filming of The Elgin's and telling me who the artist's was when you was asking me to hear the new Tracks , no Gavs a kind guy and really enjoyed chatting and meeting him at Northampton , Although I know he would look after you ,Yes I seen that idiot of a woman being so Rude to you which was totally unfair you did not deserve that , and no matter how we had our differences at the start of meeting I'm so glad we sorted them out , when i done the track play list for Northampton and Jct 2 there was no way i was Leaving out " Don't wait around " it was a Must for The Elgin's to perform this Live ! all being well Ive sorted some Dates out for Them to return In November and i want to include " Souvenirs of Love " to the live show.

"> Edited by Hitsville Chalky
Social source share

I got into 60s soul in the 80s when I was a Teenager. You were then a long departed fan of 60s soul. (In fact I have only recently been made aware of your contribution to the early 70s scene and what a big part you played in it)

I loved the 100 club, Bradford QH and Keel in the 80s !

A few of my Fav DJs at the time (1985 - 1995) were Ady Crosdell, Pat Brady, Mick Smiff, Val Palmer, Irish Gregg and Mark Bicknell

This lot were and still are digging up buckets of fantastic original authentic 60s soul tunes and playing them to the few hundred people who love the real 60s soul sounds!

I'm not knocking you Sir, or what you produce. But I know what I like ....and I like the 60s Sound of Black America, which in my opinion is something that can not be replicated with integrity by anyone who was not there in the studio that day in 1966.

Give me that opening break on a classic like Darrell Banks - Open the door you heart!! For the 1000th time - Now that's a real timeless quality! IMO

Its nearly 50 years old and sounds to me exactley as good as the very first time I heard it... Every time I plonk the stylus on it.

Not being rude ........... just being honest !

MOSSY

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Yes Dave.

1 - Terry Johnson (found him much later), Billy Proctor, The Ones, The Hit Pack, The Freeman Brothers, Tommy Good, plus met some like Junior Walker, Barrett Strong, LaBrenda Ben, R. Dean Taylor, who simply declined, or others like Patrice Holloway who weren't in any state..

2 - Mike Terry came down to United Sound and hung out with us for a couple of days.

3 - Musically, Van McCoy, George Kerr, Curtis Mayfield. (Can't narrow it down to one). DJ wise, it has to be Les Cokell, who was certainly the biggest influence on ME.

Ian - in respect of tracking down / locating Motown affiliated artists , did you ever attempt to find The Dalton Boys ?

I asked Esther Edwards during a visit to 2648 in 1979 about them , but her recall was limited , stating only that she could recall that BG had found all the other vocal aligned material except for " I've Been Cheated " , was inferior , and he had the tapes of the recordings destroyed .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Nae problem. Some of the stuff I've read on this thread borders on the insane.

One might not agree on the musical aspect but I think character assassination

is downright nasty. Life's too short, in my opinion of course.

Yes I agree with this. As a community we don't agree on everything on this or other threads, but should be able to disagree without too much name calling and vitriol on both sides. A bit of banter is fine, but some of this stuff is way past that.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Yes I seen that idiot of a woman being so Rude to you which was totally unfair you did not deserve that

I'm glad you saw it too.

It was one of the most rude and outrageous things I have ever witnessed and showed the sheer raw ignorance of some people who DARE to call themselves soul fans.

If by any coincidence she's actually on here, which I doubt, then I hope she is THOROUGHLY ashamed of herself.

Social source share

I'm not knocking you Sir, or what you produce. But I know what I like ....and I like the 60s Sound of Black America, which in my opinion is something that can not be replicated with integrity by anyone who was not there in the studio that day in 1966.

Not being rude ........... just being honest !

One man's honesty is another man's foolish shortsightedness.

Social source share

Ian - in respect of tracking down / locating Motown affiliated artists , did you ever attempt to find The Dalton Boys ?

I didn't want to. Their vocals were no better than Hermans Hermits.

Social source share