The Best Retro Soul Song Ever

In your opinion, which is THE best PRESENT day soul song (NO COVERS) with that retro feel to it which makes you think it was produced in the 60's or 70's?

Gabrielle's "Give Me A Little More Time" (as far as I know, not a cover, and not to be confused with Chairmen Of The Board's "Give Me Just A Little More Time" which incidentally was covered by Kylie) is a strong contender......BUT...

IMHO, the C R A C K I N G good "Heartaches Was All She Got" by 51 yo SWEDISH (!) souler/bluesman Sven Zetterberg takes the first place. If you haven't heard it, you'll be amazed!

Social source share

• Replies 60
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

In your opinion, which is THE best PRESENT day soul song (NO COVERS) with that retro feel to it which makes you think it was produced in the 60's or 70's?

Gabrielle's "Give Me A Little More Time" (as far as I know, not a cover, and not to be confused with Chairmen Of The Board's "Give Me Just A Little More Time" which incidentally was covered by Kylie) is a strong contender......BUT...

IMHO, the C R A C K I N G good "Heartaches Was All She Got" by 51 yo SWEDISH (!) souler/bluesman Sven Zetterberg takes the first place. If you haven't heard it, you'll be amazed!

link

from a couple of years ago;

Jimi Tenor - Spell

Another Scandinavian. Sounds like Superfly era Curtis Mayfield reincarnated.

Godz

Social source share

Guest rachel

Dunno about the best, but I really like...

Andy Lewis feat Keni Burke - (Love Is) Alive In My Heart (Acid Jazz 2004)

Also heard the other day for the first time in ages, Morcheeba's 'Rome Wasn't Built In A Day', and was struck by just how 60s/ Motowny in style it was.

Both got a 'retro' feel but couldn't 'mistake' them for actual 60s recordings, struggling to think of any like that, you can pretty much always hear the difference in production.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Its probably 15 years old now but the Masonettes (?) - Heartache Avenue, would fit into this category.

If someone had scanned a label, with a ficticous group, and arranged for it to be imported from the states, and declared it was played at the Wheel as an unknown, quite a few might have been taken in by it. :lol:

Social source share

If someone had scanned a label, with a ficticous group, and arranged for it to be imported from the states, and declared it was played at the Wheel as an unknown, quite a few might have been taken in by it.  :lol:

link

I can't believe that anybody would do such a thing! :lol:

As for it being 15 years, I would've thought it was nearer 20+ years. :lol:

Social source share

I can't believe that anybody would do such a thing!  :lol:

As for it being 15 years, I would've thought it was nearer 20+ years.  :lol:

link

The Maisonette's "Heartache Avenue" was first released in 1982, reached #7 on the UK chart, flip "The Last One To Know". 23 years old great :lol: tune, sounds older - double nostalgia!

Social source share

The Four Vandals - Wrong Side Of Town  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

link

Good tune, but it hardly qualifies as PRESENT day song, considering it was released in 1972... :lol:

Social source share

link

Funny people trying to make retro,the new 6ts,wont work ever,move on,and i am not saying these records are bad,because they are very good i am sure these artists didnt say lets make a retro typa sound,they just made a soul record thats all nothing els,if that not be the case all that SPARK stuff would be making loads,or is this not retro,if i was a artist and some body called my stuff retro,you know the rest!

Social source share

Anything by Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings!

Funky as a mosquito's twitcher but made in the present day. Gotta see these live too! I bet it's some jam... :lol:

Sam

Social source share

Guest rachel

Anything by Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings!

Funky as a mosquito's twitcher but made in the present day. Gotta see these live too! I bet it's some jam...  :lol:

Sam

link

Ok I take it back, forgot about them (not really awake this morning)... quite a few of the Daptone productions are the closest you'll get to sounding like they could have been made 'back then' :lol:

Social source share

Not exactly present day or even that soulful, but the Edwin Collins thing, Never Known A Girl Like You Before is a stonker. The backing track is so moody, puts me in mind of something that I can't put my finger on... hints of Ramsey Lewis, but that's not it...

Can anyone shine a light?

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Nice tune.

Totally up-his-own-a*se though.

It takes a special kind of pretentious tw*t to think he sounds intelligent singing...

"You've made me acknowledge the devil in me. I hope to God that I'm talkin' metaphorically. Hope that I'm talkin' allegorically"

Shut up you cheese. :lol:

Social source share

link

Wrong side of town is the one that sounds like it was recorded in the 70's. I must confess to liking Phats & Small - Turn around. Sounds like a modern masterpiece IMO :lol:

Social source share

Just thought of a couple more retro songs that are simply brill, and a great discovery if you haven't heard them (trust me on this one):

Kenne' Wayne: "Puttin' Our Business In The Streets"

Carl Sims: "Everything's Out In The Open"

Tom Brock: "Love you more and more"

Not Northern, but oh so souly!

Chris

Edited by Stockholm Soul
Social source share

Tom Brock: "Love you more and more"

Not Northern, but oh so souly!

Tom Brock sounds retro, coz it is! issued 1974...

Per-dantic  :lol:

link

Oops! Waddayknow! :lol:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Talking of retro.

I hear Flares are De-rigeur in Milano at present.

I said to the lad who told me, 'Scooters might fly'.

He said 'That too'.

I'll get my coat.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Its probably 15 years old now but the Masonettes (?) - Heartache Avenue, would fit into this category.

If someone had scanned a label, with a ficticous group, and arranged for it to be imported from the states, and declared it was played at the Wheel as an unknown, quite a few might have been taken in by it.  :wicked:

link

Get a grip Mickey you must be listening to this old twaddle through rose coloured earholes :lol:whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Get a grip Mickey you must be listening to this old twaddle through rose coloured earholes  :wicked:   whistling.gif

link

Says the man who owns Roadblock - Stock, Aitken and Waterfowl

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Get a grip Mickey you must be listening to this old twaddle through rose coloured earholes  :D   whistling.gif

link

Says the man who owns Roadblock - Stock, Aitken and Waterfowl

link

:wicked::lol::D:D Actually i don't but at least it's more authentic sounding :D

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

:wicked:   :lol:   :D   :D Actually i don't but at least it's more authentic sounding  :D

link

Well if you want a sensible answer,

Magicians - Just a little Faith and Understanding.

Released in 2004, and sounds straight out of 1967 whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Hi,

If we are talking quality Soul retro-style, then you have to look no further than the Australian group The Avalanches most brilliant ever original tune "Since I left you" on Modular from two or so years ago. Just brill!!

Martin :ok:

Social source share

Hi,

If we are talking quality Soul retro-style, then you have to look no further than the Australian group The Avalanches most brilliant ever original tune "Since I left you" on Modular from two or so years ago. Just brill!!

Martin :ok:

link

Heard this a couple of times and loved it. Wouldn't buy it though, it was made after midnight on 31 Dec 1969 whistling.gif

Anyone got a sound file?

Paul

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Wrong side of town is the one that sounds like it was recorded in the 70's. I must confess to liking Phats & Small - Turn around.  Sounds like a modern masterpiece IMO whistling.gif

link

this post maybe tongue in cheek but that song was originally by s.ou.l. if I am right?

Shane

Social source share

Heard this a couple of times and loved it.  Wouldn't buy it though, it was made after midnight on 31 Dec 1969 whistling.gif

Anyone got a sound file?

Paul

link

I got the Avalanches CD, it's a quite good track, but soul it ain't. And it sounds way too modern.

I got the tune as an MP3 at home (I'm working now, don't have access here), will send it to you if you want.

Social source share

I got the Avalanches CD, it's a quite good track, but soul it ain't. And it sounds way too modern.

I got the tune as an MP3 at home (I'm working now, don't have access here), will send it to you if you want.

link

Beg to differ, those vocals are hauntingly soulful to my ears. Altho, yes it does sound modern (2001!) it also does have a retro feel to it...

Good shout Martin! whistling.gif

Sam

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Wizards Of Ooze - Trippin' .  Done by a punky Belgian band in the 90s. Sounds like Curtis Mayfield from mid 70s.

Tomo

link

Weren't the Wizzards of Ooze on Acid Jazz Tomo?? Think i have a few things by them somewhere whistling.gif

Social source share

Magicians - Just a little Faith and Understanding.

Released in 2004, and sounds straight out of 1967  whistling.gif

link

For a Swede like me, where can I get me greedy hands on these Club 100 anniversary songs.

I've gone 100% digital, and don't collect vinyl - just MP4s (want to be able to listen to my favs any time, anywhere on iPod).

Is there anywhere you can download Club100 tunes - for money or not - or are they exclusively for members?

(which I would find weird, as I believe a great song should be shared.... :wicked: ).

Social source share

Will do - I may however not be able to do it until tomorrow (as I am going out for a few pints tonite)

Edited by Stockholm Soul
Social source share

Wizards Of Ooze - Trippin' .  Done by a punky Belgian band in the 90s. Sounds like Curtis Mayfield from mid 70s.

Tomo

link

Do like this very much,is this easy to get?,not exactly gypsie walsh band,but very good,ive got a nice thing called Brixton hill,from about 4/5years back,now that is a tune,never heard it nowhere,if you knew it you might think the same.

Social source share

Gabrielle was the first track that sprung to mind when I saw this thread - brilliant record. Always reminds me of Lorraine Chandler's "Tell Me You're Mine".

Lyrics aside, The Edwin Collins was a corker, and worked wonders at turning the Britpop generation onto our sound.

Current top contender for me is a really good track out at the moment by Estelle called "Go, Gone" which has a very authentic 60s Southern Soul stomper feel to it - you have to hear it on the radio, though, because the video is a bit distracting and you don't quite get the full effect. Still, if you need to catch it it's on reasonably heavy rotation on MTV etc. Check it out.

All the best,

Nick

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Have a listen to this from a couple of years ago.

Mike Jiminez-Someday We'll Get By

link

Great track that should get an airing, I for one have never heard it before! whistling.gif:wicked:

Another retroish type tune to listen for from 1991 (I think) is Mica Parish's "Young Soul Rebels" from the retro film of the same name.

Martin

Social source share

For a Swede like me, where can I get me greedy hands on these Club 100 anniversary songs.

I've gone 100% digital, and don't collect vinyl - just MP4s (want to be able to listen to my favs any time, anywhere on iPod).

Is there anywhere you can download Club100 tunes - for money or not - or are they exclusively for members?

(which I would find weird, as I believe a great song should be shared.... whistling.gif ).

link

Bye yourself one on ebay,download it then put it back on ebay,make yourself £30,or get yourself over here and hear them in the flesh at the 100club,no though!sure some nice person on here will sort you out,bah i am only 10% digital at mo! or i would do it,sorry

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Gabrielle was the first track that sprung to mind when I saw this thread - brilliant record.  Always reminds me of Lorraine Chandler's "Tell Me You're Mine".

Lyrics aside, The Edwin Collins was a corker, and worked wonders at turning the Britpop generation onto our sound.

Current top contender for me is a really good track out at the moment by Estelle called "Go, Gone" which has a very authentic 60s Southern Soul stomper feel to it - you have to hear it on the radio, though, because the video is a bit distracting and you don't quite get the full effect.  Still, if you need to catch it it's on reasonably heavy rotation on MTV etc.  Check it out.

All the best,

Nick

link

Is that "Dreams" Nick?

Written by Paul Noble, and sold to Gabrielles team for £20,000

Paul was a founder member of the best rock'n'roll band ever, IMHO. EAT.

He writes all her stuff since quitting the band.

Maybe it was my brother playing them all the Northern Soul tapes when they were gigging that had a effect on him.

Social source share

Weren't the Wizzards of Ooze on Acid Jazz Tomo?? Think i have a few things by them somewhere  whistling.gif

link

Yes they were on Acid Jazz, haven't heard all there stuff but i know they had a few albums out. I've listened to a few soundbites on the web and it sounds like a right old mixture of stuff. Strange looking band too.

Tomo

Social source share

Bye yourself one on ebay,download it then put it back on ebay,make yourself £30,or get yourself over here and hear them in the flesh at the 100club,no though!sure some nice person on here will sort you out,bah i am only 10% digital at mo! or i would do it,sorry

link

Cheers Kenneth!

Listen, as you can see I only registered as a member to this forum today, and frankly didn't know you could attach tunes to your message right in this forum.

Noticed from above that you can.

I'll attach the songs I've mentioned in this thread, i.e. Sven Zetterberg, Carl Sims and Kenne' Wayne once I get home. (But then again, you may' have them already) Anyway, let me know what you think of them - could they be mistaken for 60's or 70's songs? I certainly think so.

Social source share

Is that "Dreams" Nick?

No, "Give Me A Little More Time" was the one I was thinking of.

The Avalanches, incidentally, is fantastic, and I remember positively sprinting down to the shops to buy it as soon as it came out, but unfortunately I think it has to be disqualified from this thread, as it samples something that I'm told got played at the Mecca, can't remember what and can't vouch for the truth of it, but if true it would place it in the category of a cover. Curses! whistling.gif

Never mind - brilliant record regardless.

all the best,

Nick

Social source share

Cheers Kenneth!

Listen, as you can see I only registered as a member to this forum today, and frankly didn't know you could attach tunes to your message right in this forum.

Noticed from above that you can.

I'll attach the songs I've mentioned in this thread, i.e. Sven Zetterberg, Carl Sims and Kenne' Wayne once I get home. (But then again, you may' have them already) Anyway, let me know what you think of them - could they be mistaken for 60's or 70's songs? I certainly think so.

link

Welcome to soul/source,have you got a real name,Mr Stockholm Soul too many people on here think they are Mr Soul on here,like they invented it.......Ken

Social source share

Trying to attach an iTunes file, it won't accept, what to do? Also, downloaded the tunes in this thread, download OK byt nothing on the files =0 kb - what to do?

Chris

Social source share

Trying to attach an iTunes file, it won't accept, what to do? Also, downloaded the tunes in this thread, download OK byt nothing on the files =0 kb - what to do?

Chris

link

OK, burned the songs onto a CD, picked them up on Media Player, and loaded them back onto the harddisk - see if it works: here's the first song:

The Avalanches - Since I Left You

Chris

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert