Gaz Lees

• Replies 35
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest shaunmarie

Anybody got a Debbie Taylor 4 sale on Arista - Just don't pay/I dont want to leave you, pm me if you have must be cheap and in good nick.

Cheers Gaz Lees

wicked track mate been playing it out for a fair few months now , manis got one

b good shaun :thumbsup:

Social source share

wicked track mate been playing it out for a fair few months now , manis got one

b good shaun :thumbsup:

Ditto great 2 sider got mine for £25 about a year ago, you should be able to get one without to much difficulty.

Barry

Social source share

now I never knew that, can someone post up the UK versions?

I don't think they're different mixes, as such, Val.

On the "I Don't Wanna Leave You" side the intro is shorter (by a few seconds) on the UK copy.

On the "Just Don't Pay" side, from memory its exactly the same UK & US but both sides are slightly more 'muffled' on the UK copy - which has probably more to do with mastering than mixing.

I bought the UK copy as a new release - loved it and lived it for years.

It was 3-4 years later that I first heard the US copy on a tape, heard the additional few seconds on the intro and was shocked at the clarity!

So, although the UK copy is scarcer the US copy is the one to own to listen to!

Sean

Social source share

On the "I Don't Wanna Leave You" side the intro is shorter (by a few seconds) on the UK copy.

On the "Just Don't Pay" side, from memory its exactly the same UK & US but both sides are slightly more 'muffled' on the UK copy - which has probably more to do with mastering than mixing.

It was 3-4 years later that I first heard the US copy on a tape, heard the additional few seconds on the intro and was shocked at the clarity!

Sean

Cheers for that Sean, I just wondered if it might have been a different mix like the different version of Bobby Womack's 'How Could You Break My Heart' which on U.K. Arista I think is the supperior mix

Social source share

Sean

the uk copy misses out the long instrumental bit in the middle of just dont pay making it better IMVHO

i dont wanna leave you is edited as well :ohmy: . better to own on uk as far as im concerned. as for clarity

ive had both but never noticed much difference

dave

Social source share

Don't know if anyone will remember, but we gave away 50 copies of this (probably demos) and 50 Jeff Perry sevens at a Manchester Ritz All-Dayer when they were forthcoming brand new UK releases.

I was working for Black Echoes at the time and knew the press promo people at the various labels and persuaded them to give us the records as freebies to first 100 through the doors.

Happy days!

Social source share

the uk copy misses out the long instrumental bit in the middle of just dont pay making it better IMVHO

i dont wanna leave you is edited as well :lol: . better to own on uk as far as im concerned. as for clarity

ive had both but never noticed much difference

dave

Can't see how shorter can be better Dave - especially something as good as this 45 you could bring on the 12" for me!

I'll take another listen to that middle bit...

...or maybe play it at the Friendship instead! thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Don't know if anyone will remember, but we gave away 50 copies of this (probably demos) and 50 Jeff Perry sevens at a Manchester Ritz All-Dayer when they were forthcoming brand new UK releases.

I was working for Black Echoes at the time and knew the press promo people at the various labels and persuaded them to give us the records as freebies to first 100 through the doors.

Happy days!

I've got UK Demos of both 45's.

Don't see 'em very often. Even the issues of Debbie Taylor on UK seem thin on the ground these days.

Both were, of course, HUGE Dave Godin tips back then.

Anyone flipped over Jeff Perry "Love Don't Come No Stronger" recently?

You might be in for a nice surprise!

So... four great sides on two 45's.

Quite a freebie, Neil.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

tempo is not a gauge for soulfulness . I'll never be a Deep soul snob ,Im too funky biggrin.gif

Sorry mate - its just that I saw you tipping a deep soul 'Dells Soundalike' track the other day and thought how unusual for you.

Got to admit - you are the funkiest around.

Except when Bully's in town!

:lol:

Social source share

Sorry mate - its just that I saw you tipping a deep soul 'Dells Soundalike' track the other day and thought how unusual for you.

Got to admit - you are the funkiest around.

Except when Bully's in town!

:lol:

LOL.. I think Trouble thinks hes funkier and he somehow has two of the most expensive deep sides ever ! ..Little Willie Johnson and The Love Experiance ph34r.gif:lol:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

LOL.. I think Trouble thinks hes funkier and he somehow has two of the most expensive deep sides ever ! ..Little Willie Johnson and The Love Experiance :lol::lol:

Nah.... you are the true FunkMeister!

But (back on topic) go ahead and dig out the Debbie Taylor on Polydor.

It's same song as Mavis Staples on Volt... but even better!

Also LOVE her Today label LP "Comin Down On You" - "Touching You" and "Second To None" along with several others on there are out of this world deep!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Nah.... you are the true FunkMeister!

But (back on topic) go ahead and dig out the Debbie Taylor on Polydor.

It's same song as Mavis Staples on Volt... but even better!

Also LOVE her Today label LP "Comin Down On You" - "Touching You" and "Second To None" along with several others on there are out of this world deep!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Not to mention her sides on GWP her sides for DECCA too , esp "Check yourself"

Derek

Social source share

Happy days!

dont remember that neil but i do remember you giving away bump me baby -dooley silverspoon promos at dudley zoo all-dayer tongue.gif

Social source share

And both sides of the Polydor single as well as the Mavis Staples version are on refosoul, put there by some handsome sod with great taste.

Did try and link them to here but can't get the link thing to work, in a bit of a dash.

Was going to say actually we should ask anyone who doesn't have the Arista 45 to put their hands up, and then should get a hard rap across the knuckles!! Fantastic soul that every soul fan should own, remember when this was a monster out as well, can't see that happening again. early Southport days was its height for me.

Just bought another one by her on GWP with Hesitations, bit of a show track but you can't lose here voice, fantastic singer, maybe the greatest!!!!

Social source share

I've got UK Demos of both 45's.

Don't see 'em very often. Even the issues of Debbie Taylor on UK seem thin on the ground these days.

Both were, of course, HUGE Dave Godin tips back then.

Anyone flipped over Jeff Perry "Love Don't Come No Stronger" recently?

You might be in for a nice surprise!

So... four great sides on two 45's.

Quite a freebie, Neil.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Sean,

Agree with you on, I've Got To See You Right Away, tis a corker. But disagree on the Mavis Staples, one of my all time faves although both versions are fabulous.

Social source share

Can't see how shorter can be better Dave - especially something as good as this 45 you could bring on the 12" for me!

I'll take another listen to that middle bit...

...or maybe play it at the Friendship instead! thumbsup.gif

i always seem to go 7in rather than 12in. our bri is worse he hates anything over 5minutes long

Social source share

Sean,

Agree with you on, I've Got To See You Right Away, tis a corker. But disagree on the Mavis Staples, one of my all time faves although both versions are fabulous.

Hi John,

Agree Mavis Staples is fabulous... isn't She always... but DT is 'even better' on this particular number (IMO).

Close call though I'd say.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Speaking of Polydor,

I wonder what the unissued 45 on that label is like?

"Superstar" / "A Good Woman Don't Grow On Trees" Polydor 14252

Anyone ever get to hear this? g.gif

Hello John,

I've been fortunate enough to hear the glass masters of both these tracks. Both are very much in the vein of "Cheaper in the long run".

Debbie Taylor was a criminally under rated performer and her pairing with David Jordan, had it lasted beyond '75, would surely have given us even more outstanding vocal and arrangement performances.

Sadly it was not to be. She did, however, produce a catalogue which many modern day female vocalists would do well to study.

Social source share

If anyone can find the lass, we've got a bit of dosh for her.

Don't Let It End has always been a huge favourite of mine and is creating a bit of interest recently.

ta

Ady

Ady,

It's a small world!! I've still not managed to track her down since I touched base with you regarding the Kent releases.

I spoke with Patrick Adams who hasn't seen her or been in contact since the Today sessions and none of the official US collection agencies appear to have any info on her at all.

You're quite right, "Don't let it end" and "Don't nobody mess with my baby" are becoming increasingly regular spins on various circuits - good to see.

Paul

Social source share

Source Advert