Best Venue In Scotland Ever

Hi, as really enjoyed the debate on DJs in Scotland, hows about a discussion on best venue/nite in Scotland, perhaps I'm a bit biased as i used to play there occasionaly, but for me the best venue was the Kilt, runnin in Newmains from 89-94 ish, not only superb music, busy venue/ knowledgable crowds(most of the time!!) just a brilliant vibe altogether, great DJ guests Searling,Soul Sam, Ian Clark & many more.... plus also some amazin' live acts...Sam Dees, Joshie Jo Armstead, Johnny Bristol to name a few.....respect to DJ Tom Jackson and promoter Billy Neilson for doing it the right way!! Also got to mention the Allanton all nighter, class event miss it so much and Jimpys Club 9 do's (just a great black music nite, runnin in Motherwell ) ...as its my 1st post shout out to a few old friends on here, Jock,Derek an Fraser and anybody else from the Scottish soul scene...Sid

Social source share

• Replies 40
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest hammy

I have find memories of the Claremont Hotel as it got me into northern ( was too young to make it to Shotts).

Raw upfront 60s at its best really.

Hammy

Social source share

Guest 45s and 33s

Shotts - bogs were always knee-deep in pish, it was always freezing in the hall for the first few hours but wouldn't have missed it for the world.

The Claremont - on the way down it was a doddle, on the way back up it was like climbing the north face of the Eiger - but the music and guests were superb, they really made it.

Gennas is a neat venue.

Although I've only been one, Bathgate's got one helluva nice venue.

The Taxi Club's a cracking venue - more details of the summer dayer will follow soon :thumbsup:

Ali

Social source share

Guest rachel

Defo, :thumbsup: A credit to Hammy and Ali Duff for sticking to the rarer side of soul, lovely wee venue with a ridiculously cheap bar and a mere stroll from my house, how much am I missing it Mr Hamilton :shades:

link

Another Taxi Club fan here :thumbsup: Too young to be joining in the Shotts etc reminiscing but the Taxi Club's got to be the best of the current/recent Scottish venues for me - my introduction to the 'rare' side wink.gif Not quite such a short stroll from my house but amazing getting to hear some of the DJs they've had without having to leave Edinburgh!

Social source share

Shotts nighters was the bollocks, miss it badly, gave me the urge to discover many unplayed gems along with sheer classic cuts.

H

wacko.gif   wacko.gif   wacko.gif

link

Allanton at Shotts was a great nighter. Had a memorable 21st birthday there. A record that always reminds me of that night is Tootsie Rollers - Give me love - Me-o. Covered up at the time as Silky Hargreaves i think.

Always had a good night north of the border and a trip back is long overdue.

Tomo

Social source share

Of the current soul nights, when you've got the UK's top dj saying he can't believe how good Aberdeen is ie crowd and music policy and that he'll dj anytime then thats good enough for me and thats before we moved to our new venue, which is far better than the last place.

Social source share

Hi, as really enjoyed the debate on DJs in Scotland, hows about a discussion on best venue/nite in Scotland, perhaps I'm a bit biased as i used to play there occasionaly, but for me the best venue was the Kilt, runnin in Newmains from 89-94 ish, not only superb music, busy venue/ knowledgable crowds(most of the time!!) just a brilliant vibe altogether, great DJ guests Searling,Soul Sam, Ian Clark & many more.... plus also some amazin' live acts...Sam Dees, Joshie Jo Armstead, Johnny Bristol to name a few.....respect to DJ Tom Jackson and promoter Billy Neilson for doing it the right way!!  Also got to mention the Allanton all nighter, class event miss it so much and Jimpys Club 9 do's (just a great black music nite, runnin in Motherwell ) ...as its my 1st post shout out to a few old friends on here, Jock,Derek an Fraser and anybody else from the Scottish soul scene...Sid

link

yeah sid seen all these acts at the kilt, great nights for the modern enthusiast, but in my opinion [for what thats worth] for top quality northern, nothing ive been to up here in the last 15 years has touched the rough cut allnighters in the miners welfare.

1990, allanton .the changing scene covered as steve mancha, hearing that booming down at you ,for the 1st time,now that was a buzz.

Social source share

yeah sid seen all these acts at the kilt, great nights for the modern enthusiast, but in my opinion [for what thats worth] for top quality northern, nothing ive been to up here in the last 15 years has touched the rough cut allnighters in the miners welfare.

1990, allanton .the changing scene covered as steve mancha, hearing that booming down at you ,for the 1st time,now that was a buzz.

link

Loved ALLANTON/SHOTTS to bits too but the best for me was the CROWN HOTEL nighters in THORNTON run by STEVE and ALAN WALLS , great venue,great atmosphere , great music and introduced the 60's Mafia dj's to the scottish soul scene which was an oldies desert at that time.

Derek

BTW hi Sid mate long long time no see

Social source share

Ah yeh, the Crown Hotel was a great joint! It was widely renknowed as one of the best nites in the UK and punters even came up from England rather than go to places like Stafford 'cos the Crown had a much superior atmosphere (particularly when guys like Gary Rushbrooke were playing). Still got my 'Stateside red and white demo' lookalike anniversary patch somewhere...

Social source share

Ah yeh, the Crown Hotel was a great joint! It was widely renknowed as one of the best nites in the UK and punters even came up from England rather than go to places like Stafford 'cos the Crown had a much superior atmosphere (particularly when guys like Gary Rushbrooke were playing). Still got my 'Stateside red and white demo' lookalike anniversary patch somewhere...

link

So have i mate gotta be a collectible of the future. blush.gif

What's your real name mate?

Derek

Social source share

Thanks everyone for replying to this thread, I know it's a bit of a contentious issue anyway best ever venue, all down to everyones opinion, unique experiences or whatever...I guess we were spoiled for choice back then to have nites like Allanton & Newmains,Claremont, all Yogis do's, Dereks events the Walls Bros nites etc, great times and great people!!! shout out to Sparra & the bellshill soul mafia........Also, who can forget why the west of scotland soul scene was so special at that time Brian (Barney) Welsh R.I.P

Social source share

SHOTTS -best scottish soul night hands down, cant think of any other venues in uk (at that time) that were playing such quality and rare sounds to 1000+ people.100 club was good -but not as 'northern'-most other venues were oldies only at that time period-late 80's (im probaly wrong on this-anyone know any different)..

fav tunes and times..... whistling.gif

hundreds of people clapping along to every single beat of Tony Clarkes 'the wrong man'

Just Bros-'Carlena' as played by colin law to the opening cry of 'stomp you bastards'

Jock Mithchell-Not a chance in a million

Steve mancha- Friday Night/Mon through Saturday

Edwin Starr -I have faith in you

Tom jackson's modern hour-ESP,one on one,Im so happy,I dont do this-the northern punters loved it back then!

The newcastle lot -Dave snowdon,gazza etc-they palyed some top sounds in Newcastle back then too.

Buying copies of Ruby Andrews'Just loving you' for £8 in the record bar-(never heard that tune played much in 1988 apart from 100club-anyone know when it was first spun?)

Good english DJ's like Kitch,Butch,Roger Banks who slotted right in with the residents and played (then) unknown sounds to a great response

Speed being a differnt color every month!

Jock's '3 before 8' Tony colton (I think-thats the name) 'I stand accused' Jack Montgomery 'Dont turn your back on me' ( I think they varied sometimes)- and everyone always got on the floor for the last one the last tune of shotts-The O'jays- "I'll never forget you"...dont suppose we ever will....

could go on all night if I were to get my tape box out.

The Kilt was dope as was glenrothes-but nowt beats the sheer scale and power of Shotts-it was like a rave!

:shades:

Social source share

SHOTTS -best scottish soul night hands down, cant think of any other venues in uk (at that time) that were playing such quality and rare sounds to 1000+ people.100 club was good -but not as 'northern'-most other venues were oldies only at that time period-late 80's (im probaly wrong on this-anyone know any different)..

link

Blackburn, Mexboro, odd Coventry all-nighter, many one off niters....plenty of English niters late 80's playing the rare stuff and as most of the top Scottish dj's often venture south you often had the lot, just like Shotts whn nthe cream of the English went up there whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Allanton, Shotts, what a QUALITY 'niter! Jo and I would drive from London every month, 1,000 mile round trip, rather than miss it. Top nite, top people, sadly missed, fondly remembered. whistling.gif

Social source share

i remember going to a niter in Scotland ....mid 90ts ?...i think it was on the outskirts of Livingstone (industrial estate)(?)...me....Johnny+Christine Beggs.....Mark Dobson.....young Shute........we stopped at a hotel close to Lanark as it was the only light on at 11.00 pm......i was sent in to scout it out (i had a suit on)......luckily there was a wedding reception in progress.......a few pints of "heavy" put us well in niter mood.......tune that puts me in mind of that night was Shelly Fisher.."girl i love you".........happy days whistling.gif

Social source share

Thanks everyone for replying to this thread, I know it's a bit of a contentious issue anyway best ever venue, all down to everyones opinion, unique experiences or whatever...I guess we were spoiled for choice back then to have nites like Allanton & Newmains,Claremont, all Yogis do's, Dereks events the Walls Bros nites etc, great times and great people!!! shout out to Sparra & the bellshill soul mafia........Also, who can forget why the west of scotland soul scene was so special at that time Brian (Barney) Welsh R.I.P

link

Hi Sid, long time no see, still waiting on the advance promo of the record you and Jamie were going to make! whistling.gif:shades:

Sid as smart as ever with the above words, so true.Wow, what can I say, in all honesty tears in my eyes reading this, it makes you realise just what good things we had here.

In danger of sounding like a wannabee Victor Meldrew again, remember Clouds all nighter, so good that Searling and Dave Withers were playing brand new discoverys here first in 79-8?, Searling even calling one of his cover ups Clouds in tribute to Bruce Hanning, who was at the forefront of Scots being progressive music wise before sadly passing away.

And you guys have summarised the rest.

For me Glenrothes for atmosphere was unbeatable, the shirtless table dancers,

Allanton (aka Shotts or Scotland to the many travellers from down South) for actually leading the way in music when much of the scene had lost its way and the friends that were made there,

the Kilt for just having all these trendy West Of Scotland dudes who looked like they should have been in local disco but instead were singing along with every word of Josie Armstead and Sam Dees,

As I get older I realise just how good these times were, and some of the best people around, people like Brian, sadly missed as Sid says, I have been saying for ages need to record the Scottish scene with one of the fanzines where is my quill!!

Again wow!! Off for a greet now!!

Social source share

shout out to Sparra & the bellshill soul mafia........Also, who can forget why the west of scotland soul scene was so special at that time Brian (Barney) Welsh R.I.P

Sid,

Good to here from you JG here mate. Welcome to the Forum great post to kick off with! Bellshill Soul Mafia I'll have you know 3 of us where from Mossend and Davie claimed to have stayed in Mossend when he was a nipper, thats that out the way.

Me and Davie are still working ( I use this term loosely) in Haemo and some of the dealers might clock the work addy as this is where I get most of the vinyl sent to whistling.gif

To get back to your original point Allanton best nighter Ruff Cut Soul Club aka Jim O'Hara Brian Welsh & John Neilson and then latterly run solely by Jim. Run close by Glenrothes niters Crown Hotel ,Exit Centre, then finally the YMCA all run I think by the Walls brothers and giving us Guy & Keb.

Soul Night I loved the Kilt personally cause I was always into Modern & Crossover as well and getting the chance to talk with your hero's in deepest Lanarkshire well it was akin to a spiritual experience.

Currently, Caley Soul in Glasgow is one of the best nights I've been too.

And I fancy the Aberdeen night from the vibe on here it seems to be the place to go.

PS. Remember Thorne ?

Best jg

Social source share

Guest 45s and 33s

i remember going to a niter in Scotland ....mid 90ts ?...i think it was on the outskirts of Livingstone (industrial estate)

+++++++++

Think this may have been the The Golden Stones Hotel or something similar - I may still have the flyer for this, will try and dig it out tomorrow. Seem to remember Dean Anderson being on the bill. I remember being offered Betty Turner - Winds kept laughing; Hayes Cotton - Black wings (with harmonica) and Fiestas - Think smart all for £250; only I was skint and had to turn the offer down whistling.gif

Ali

Social source share

i remember going to a niter in Scotland ....mid 90ts ?...i think it was on the outskirts of Livingstone (industrial estate)

+++++++++

Think this may have been the The Golden Stones Hotel or something similar - I may still have the flyer for this, will try and dig it out tomorrow.  Seem to remember Dean Anderson being on the bill.  I remember being offered Betty Turner - Winds kept laughing; Hayes Cotton - Black wings (with harmonica) and Fiestas - Think smart all for £250; only I was skint and had to turn the offer down  unsure.gif

Ali

link

the golden circle

Social source share

JG and Jock, how could I ever forget those trips to Thorne then on to Blackburn, magical nites!!! let's not mention the weekenders!!! ..... You guys were my initiation on the soul scene, will be grateful for that always!!!!!!! hopefully catch up again soon, please pass my regards on to Davie and Kerso........Mr Dope Soul thanks 4 remindin me about Toms modern hour at Allanton, totally forgot about that, also remember the tuck shop??????....f**k it pass me a hankie Jock

Social source share

i remember going to a niter in Scotland ....mid 90ts ?...i think it was on the outskirts of Livingstone (industrial estate)(?)...me....Johnny+Christine Beggs.....Mark Dobson.....young Shute........we stopped at a hotel close to Lanark as it was the only light on at 11.00 pm......i was sent in to scout it out (i had a suit on)......luckily there was a wedding reception in progress.......a few pints of "heavy" put us well in niter mood.......tune that puts me in mind of that night was Shelly Fisher.."girl i love you".........happy days :D

link

IT WAS THE GOLDEN CIRCLE JUST OUTSIDE BATHGATE , I RUN IT HAD ME THINKS NOW ABOUT 4 ALLNIGHTERS THERE, EVEN PUT ON 2 DOUBLE DECKER BUSES FROM EDINBURGH CITY CENTRE, THERE WAS 6 PEOPLE CAME FOR THE FREE BUSES, BUT WAS A GREAT SUCCESS ANYWAY, CANT MIND WHAT ITS CALLED NOW THOUGH,

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Allanton, Shotts, what a QUALITY 'niter! Jo and I would drive from London every month, 1,000 mile round trip, rather than miss it. Top nite, top people, sadly missed, fondly remembered. :D

link

Same here Trevski, every month Dean would book the van, turn up 1 to 2 hours late :wicked: and then up the road to Shotts , One of the best nights. Quality people, quality music.

Social source share

The Kilt was definately the best venue I used to attend whilst living in Scotland. Great memories of the first 2 years with Jackson/Davidson/Jefferies and all the guest dj's - Dearlove - Ian Clark - Bob Jones - Subbo :yes: - Sid :lol::lol: with Josie Armstead. I missed Sam Dees.

The Claremont and Allanton were only passing events useful but predominantly northern to these modern ears.

I suppose you could always add the Calton Studios allnighters mid 80's with Sam and Arthur guesting. They were the ones that really got me interested back in the day.

Sid check your PM's mate and you still owe me petrol money for Thorne :lol: .

Social source share

The Kilt was definately the best venue I used to attend whilst living in Scotland. Great memories of the first 2 years with Jackson/Davidson/Jefferies and all the guest dj's - Dearlove - Ian Clark - Bob Jones - Subbo :D - Sid  :D   :lol: with Josie Armstead. I missed Sam Dees.

The Claremont and Allanton were only passing events useful but predominantly northern to these modern ears.

I suppose you could always add the Calton Studios allnighters mid 80's with Sam and Arthur guesting. They were the ones that really got me interested back in the day.

Sid check your PM's mate and you still owe me petrol money for Thorne :thumbsup: .

link

CARLTON STUDIOS

WHAT HASSLE ME AND YOGI HAD THERE, WITH THE CASUALS ANOTHER BAD SIDE OF THE SCOTTISH SCENE, ALSO TALKING ABOUT MODERN THE HOOCH OR BEFORE IT CHANGED ITS NAME TEXAS, RUN BY YOGI ALL THE DJs FROM ALL OVER THE UK, WITH THE ODD ALLNIGHTER,

AND DJ WISE ASKING TOM JACKSON TO PLAY SOME NORTHERN ONE OF THE ONLY NORTHERN THINGS HE HAD OUT CAME AL WILSON THE SNAKE,

THEN THERE WAS ONE VENUE YOU HAVE ALL FORGOTR SPIDERS WEBB FIRST STARTED WELL ME THINKS ABOUT 9 YEARS AGO BY MYSELF AND KENNY BURRELL AND STILL GOING STRONG TODAY WITH MOST DJS THROUGHOUT SCOTLAND GETTING TO PLAY THERE RECORDS,

AND THERE WAS MADISONS ABOVE THE PLAYHOUSE BEFORE IT TURNED INTO A BAR, PARKVIEW HOTEL IN LEITH LINKS GREAT VENUE AND LARGE DANCE FLOOR BROUGHT UP SOUL SAM AND CARL FORTNUM, ALSO LEITH TOWN HALL BUT IT WAS A BAD TIME, SUMMER WITH THE BRIGHT SUN BEATING THROUGH THE GLASS ROOF AT 3/4 AM IN THE MORNING IT WAS LIKE A SET FROM DUSK TILL DAWN, AND ANOTHER VENUE NO MORE AND WHAT A VENUE IT WAS WAS LEITH ASSEMBLY ROOMS WHAT A GREAT VENUE, BUT NO LONGER USED FOR FUNCTIONS DUE TO NEIGHBOURS, THEN IT WAS MUSSELBURGH GREAT VENUE WITH PEOPLE TRAVELING UP FROM ENGLAND AND ALL OVER SCOTLAND I ONLY HAD 3 ALLNBIGHTERS THERE IT WAS ALSO STOPPED BY THE NEIGHBOURS FOR NOISE, BUT WITH ALL TOP DJS FORM DOWN SOUTH PLAYING BOB HINSLEY BUTCH, DAVE THORLEY, CARL FORTNUM, DEAN ANDERSON, ROGER BANKS, AND KITCH I THINK PLUS SOME OTHERS AND OUR 2 TOP DJs WHO VERY SELDOM GET TO PLAY IN SCOTLAND KENNY BURRELL AND KEITH MOENY I WONDER WHY ?,THE WORDS POT AND PISS AND DONT , SPRING TO MIND,

Social source share

CARLTON STUDIOS

WHAT HASSLE ME AND YOGI HAD THERE, WITH THE CASUALS ANOTHER BAD SIDE OF THE SCOTTISH SCENE, ALSO TALKING ABOUT MODERN THE HOOCH OR BEFORE IT CHANGED ITS NAME TEXAS, RUN BY YOGI ALL THE DJs FROM ALL OVER THE UK, WITH THE ODD ALLNIGHTER,

AND DJ WISE ASKING TOM JACKSON TO PLAY SOME NORTHERN ONE OF THE ONLY NORTHERN THINGS HE HAD OUT CAME AL WILSON THE SNAKE,

THEN THERE WAS ONE VENUE YOU HAVE ALL FORGOTR SPIDERS WEBB FIRST STARTED WELL ME THINKS ABOUT 9 YEARS AGO BY MYSELF AND KENNY BURRELL AND STILL GOING STRONG TODAY WITH MOST DJS THROUGHOUT SCOTLAND GETTING TO PLAY THERE RECORDS,

AND THERE WAS MADISONS ABOVE THE PLAYHOUSE BEFORE IT TURNED INTO A BAR, PARKVIEW HOTEL IN LEITH LINKS GREAT VENUE AND LARGE DANCE FLOOR BROUGHT UP SOUL SAM AND CARL FORTNUM, ALSO LEITH TOWN HALL BUT IT WAS A BAD TIME, SUMMER WITH THE BRIGHT SUN BEATING THROUGH THE GLASS ROOF AT 3/4 AM IN THE MORNING IT WAS LIKE A SET FROM DUSK TILL DAWN, AND ANOTHER VENUE NO MORE AND WHAT A VENUE IT WAS WAS LEITH ASSEMBLY ROOMS WHAT A GREAT VENUE, BUT NO LONGER USED FOR FUNCTIONS DUE TO NEIGHBOURS, THEN IT WAS MUSSELBURGH GREAT VENUE WITH PEOPLE TRAVELING UP FROM ENGLAND AND ALL OVER SCOTLAND I ONLY HAD 3 ALLNBIGHTERS THERE IT WAS ALSO STOPPED BY THE NEIGHBOURS FOR NOISE, BUT WITH ALL TOP DJS FORM DOWN SOUTH PLAYING BOB HINSLEY BUTCH, DAVE THORLEY, CARL FORTNUM, DEAN ANDERSON, ROGER BANKS, AND KITCH I THINK PLUS SOME OTHERS AND OUR 2 TOP DJs WHO VERY SELDOM GET TO PLAY IN SCOTLAND KENNY BURRELL AND KEITH MOENY I WONDER WHY ?,THE WORDS POT AND PISS AND  DONT , SPRING TO MIND,

link

Thought that would be obvious as these two guys are in great demand down south in England which is a compliment to them both, Kenny was guest at the Bonnyrigg alldayer a few weeks ago, thought you would have known that Derek

Edited by BIGSOULMAN
Social source share

Thought that would be obvious as these two guys are in great demand down south in England which is a compliment to them both, Kenny was guest at the Bonnyrigg alldayer a few weeks ago, thought you  would have known that Derek

link

Ok thats 1 soul night Eh are there not more events on in scotland,

LISTEN I GOT MY VIEWS I WAS THERE WHEN THE REST LEFTBECAUSE WIGAN SHUT DOWN, AND WAS THERE WHEN YOU ALL CAME BACK, GAVE MORE TO THE SCOTTISH SOUL SCENE THAN MOST, AND WELL NOW AM THE BIG BAD DEREK, and to be hounest i dont give a fu*K But i have never once played a pressing at any time i have DJed over the 23 years i played records, unlike most and put on more events than most and the bitching is mostly from people like yourself who has most likely never run or ran one soul night if even, but what i was saying was that kenny and keith dont play enough in scotland and they are our best 2 dj with the best records,( on real labels the way it should be),

BUT THEY DONT PISS IN THE SAME ,

Social source share

Guest ZTSC

Hi Sid, long time no see, still waiting on the advance promo of the record you and Jamie were going to make!  :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:  

Sid as smart as ever with the above words, so true.Wow, what can I say, in all honesty tears in my eyes reading this, it makes you realise just what good things we had here.

In danger of sounding like a wannabee Victor Meldrew again, remember Clouds all nighter, so good that Searling and Dave Withers were playing brand new discoverys here first in 79-8?, Searling even calling one of his cover ups Clouds in tribute to Bruce Hanning, who was at the forefront of Scots being progressive music wise before sadly passing away.

And you guys have summarised the rest.

For me Glenrothes for atmosphere was unbeatable, the shirtless table dancers,

Allanton (aka Shotts or Scotland to the many travellers from down South) for actually leading the way in music when much of the scene had lost its way and the friends that were made there,

the Kilt for just having all these trendy West Of Scotland dudes who looked like they should have been in local disco but instead were singing along with every word of Josie Armstead and Sam Dees,

As I get older I realise just how good these times were, and some of the best people around, people like Brian, sadly missed as Sid says, I have been saying for ages need to record the Scottish scene with one of the fanzines where is my quill!!

Again wow!! Off for a greet now!!

link

Hi Jock

Shotts was the one , and going back a bit - the Claremont and Clouds (West Toll Cross). Bruce was the guy indeed. Used to go to his house outside the City Centre on The Meadows . A few names of the day- Dale Pender , Stevie Smith , George , Duncan Bellenden , Arthur Troy (and his brother) , The Fife Boys of course - Mark Linton (jailbird!) . Halcyon days . Went to a great alldayer in Perth as well I thimk with Davey Malloy and Searling (in his Capri !)

Lets do it all again !

Social source share

We had Kenny up for our first night at the Tunnels and he played a blinder that night. We also asked keith he couldn't manage we asked him for this month he can't manage, June he can't manage, July he can't manage, aug he can't manage, sept soul night he can't manage but the all dayer in sept he can manage,Oct he can't manage Nov he can't manage and Dec guess what he can't manage.

we'll def have Kenny up again this year if he can manage. So we give these guys the oppurtunity but with keith working offshore he's only home 2 sats of the month.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert