Disdain, Pity Or Understanding?

How do you view *'ex-soulies'?

*Not my comment, just what someone called me recently.

I suppose, in reality that this is a bit of therapy for me and a tongue in cheek question at heart, but I ask the above as I suppose by my lack in attendance at nighters counts me out from being a 'real' soulie anymore - as, on the odd occassion I have tripped along to a nighter of late, I have noticed a certain disdain in some peoples eyes when they find out what I buy musically now - and some of these people I grew up with.

I still buy Northern, surf the net, keep abreast of prices and try to listen to newer discoveries (there's so much I don't know nowadays) played on the Northern scene, I still love to dance 'properly' and love the whole vibe but Northern and its' scene isn't the be all and end all for me anymore.

I have always been progressive in my black music tastes and presently the majority of my purchases of danceable black music are what the majority call House, not all but the majority.

Why do people like myself, who have put time in (a good long time too) on The scene get alienated to a degree for liking other 'forms' of black music - the last twice I have been out to a nighter have put me off going back to be honest.

Oh!! And am I an 'ex-soulie'???

:thumbsup:laugh.gif

Social source share

• Replies 39
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest alison

:thumbsup:   laugh.gif

link

Course not :) Once it grabs you, it never lets go. You can appreciate music just as well from the comfort of your living room/car/PC. The social scene is almost an entirely different entity. There's a hundred reasons why people choose not to go out; working away, family, business commitments, fed up with travelling, whatever.

Anyway, do you really care what someone calls you ??? Soul music and how its enjoyed shouldn't be prescriptive.

Edited by alison
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Dont think anyones an ex-soulie are they?

Whether you go somewhere every week, once a month or once a year. When Northern Soul takes hold its for life. And it changes your perspective on things. Lads and lasses who leave the scene tend to take our perspectives on music into their new interests or activities.

I 'left' the scene not long after Stafford closed. But I continued to listen to the music at home. I got into live indie music, and followed lots of bands. But when some bands got succesful like the Wonder Stuff, James, The Farm, PWEI, Carter etc, I would look for other good bands that had less exposure and go and watch them.

It used to make me smile tho, as I collected some rare discs at the time. When somebody would say in awe, thats worth about 50 quid....

I'd even try to get some of the lads in the bands to listen to Northern Soul. Some did, but cant remember any of them actually liking it.

Social source share

I suppose a short answer would be three letters - KTF. People move on etc and I guess that's understandable to some degree. However and I have mentioned before the girl at the end of the Blackburn nighter documentary (old Whistle Test footage) where she says "it's just a feeling, you can't put it in to words" "It's a feeling and nothing else grips your heart like soul music does". To me that says it all. In answer to your question about thoughts on ex soullies - saddening and disappointing to be true. To me this is still the most exciting and uplifting music and that is a faith I want to keep forever.

Social source share

I suppose, in reality that this is a bit of therapy for me and a tongue in cheek question at heart, but I ask the above as I suppose by my lack in attendance at nighters counts me out from being a 'real' soulie anymore - as, on the odd occassion I have tripped along to a nighter of late, I have noticed a certain disdain in some peoples eyes when they find out what I buy musically now - and some of these people I grew up with.

I still buy Northern, surf the net, keep abreast of prices and try to listen to newer discoveries (there's so much I don't know nowadays) played on the Northern scene, I still love to dance 'properly' and love the whole vibe but Northern and its' scene isn't the be all and end all for me anymore.

I have always been progressive in my black music tastes and presently the majority of my purchases of danceable black music are what the majority call House, not all but the majority.

Why do people like myself, who have put time in (a good long time too) on The scene get alienated to a degree for liking other 'forms' of black music - the last twice I have been out to a nighter have put me off going back to be honest.

:D   :D

link

If certain people react to you that way then so what????leave them alone,there are plenty of other folk out there who will give you the time of day...Not all people out there nice,just the ones on soul source.. :D:wicked: Well most...

Social source share

Dont think anyones an ex-soulie are they?

Whether you go somewhere every week, once a month or once a year. When Northern Soul takes hold its for life. And it changes your perspective on things. Lads and lasses who leave the scene tend to take our perspectives on music into their new interests or activities.

I 'left' the scene not long after Stafford closed. But I continued to listen to the music at home. I got into live indie music, and followed lots of bands. But when some bands got succesful like the Wonder Stuff, James, The Farm, PWEI, Carter etc, I would look for other good bands that had less exposure and go and watch them.

It used to make me smile tho, as I collected some rare discs at the time. When somebody would say in awe, thats worth about 50 quid....

I'd even try to get some of the lads in the bands to listen to Northern Soul. Some did, but cant remember any of them actually liking it.

link

Couldn't agree more Mikey, for me once a soulie always a soulie, had a break from going to venues regularly during the late 80's through to 2002, but the music never left me and even if I never went to another venue ever again it would always be there even if all I had were my old tapes and CD's :D:wicked:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

link

Personally i still like most forms of Black Music to greater and lesser degrees and have always had quite eclectic taste like yourself. I really wouldn't worry about it, at the end of the day you are getting more out of it all because you are prepared to expand you boundaries looking for new music.

Why on earth should you have to justify your taste, no matter what it is to someone who isn't prepared to peek out from under their blinkers :D

and no your not an ex-soulie you come into the Bingo category Housey Housey :wicked:

John

Social source share

As most people have said Barrie, who cares? As long as you like your music and have a laugh I wouldn't worry.

Life's too short - and most people are too old - for this kind of toss. There's always been a small snidey element to the northern scene but whereas it might bother you when you're 18 it sort of doesn't matter as you get older, does it.

I went to a do round by me a while ago and a guy I'd known vaguely years before actually refused to shake my hand, like it was some big statement, because he'd been told by someone that I had said such and such about something...in the end, I lost track.

All total bollocks.

And you just ended up looking at the bloke and going 'You're 40 years old, mate. There must be more in your life.'

PS Did you get that cheque for the Superbs??!

Social source share

Hottwaxx, personally I think you've been really unlucky with your last 2 niters.

I've only ever found the odd record dealer a bit frosty which is probably more to do with the stupid questions that I ask.

The northern scene is in general super friendly.

I dont think you can be an ex-soulie anyway.

Once you're there you're in!

Col.

Edited by Soulsmith
Social source share

I'm not sure you can be an Ex-Soulie in the same way as you can't be an ex-alcoholic (hic).

link

I agree with all the comments as above - there is no such thing as an ex soulie,once it's in your heart (or your feet) there is no escape.

It's not just the music and the dancing it's about the people and the whole scene, the whole feeling you get at an all nighter, or any night come to think of it if the music and the poeple are right. It comes as a package and their are not many other music genres that are like that or have lasted so long.

Shouldn't think there is anyone here on this forum who could put their hand on heart and say that they have never listened to anything else.

But what makes you a soulie is that you just keep coming back, the pull is so strong - just surrender to it and enjoy every moment, you know it makes sense

lol

QOF

XX

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

seems to me that the definition of being an ex-soulie to which you refer means that your tastes in music aren't restricted to things more than 20 years in the past :wicked:

one of the things that i've always enjoyed about the northern scene is that it doesn't require the exclusion of other interests which might be considered incompatible with a northern-soul oriented lifestyle. i remember the soulie girl who introduced me to northern when i was at school was also an elton john fanatic (and so she said it was alright for me to go to see the ramones play live as well as going to allniters)

it's funny how you cross paths with people on this site who have shared outside interests, such as punk or reggae music for example....or enjoying watching arsenal sliding into mid-table mediocraty :D

try wearing a beer towel on your belt and sewing patches onto a bowling shirt - then you might get promoted to a born again soulie

are you sure you didn't nick this blokes girlfriend in about 1977 and he's simply waited nearly thirty years to get you back?

Social source share

one of the things that i've always enjoyed about the northern scene is that it doesn't require the exclusion of other interests which might be considered incompatible with a northern-soul oriented lifestyle.  i remember the soulie girl who introduced me to northern when i was at school was also an elton john fanatic (and so she said it was alright for me to go to see the ramones play live as well as going to allniters)

link

I daren't say what my other musical interest is :D

Social source share

Guest Jamie

link

Barry,

I first want to thank you for giving me so much pleasure (musically!! :D ) at the Bradford Queens Hall Allnighters.

Your musical tastes are first class, and you put me onto a lot of music with your varied and progressive playlists.

If I were you, I would keep doing what you are doing, and wouldn't worry about some people who wish to stay within a very narrow spectrum of music.

What other people think is irrelevant - just be true to yourself.

On the social side of things, I'd love for you to come and guest at 'Soulsville' in Leeds. Our approach is 'If it's good, it's good' regardless of era. I would certainly shake your hand and make you very welcome - please give it some thought :wicked:

There are no restrictions with what you play - as long as it's 'Soulful'

Don't let the B*stards grind you down.

Jamie :D

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

Guest Byrney

I do care, yes Alison - it Pissed me right off if 'm frank haha. :D

link

Similar situation to you Hottwaxx, stopped going to nighters around 93, got into house, still loved soul and continued to hear new stuff thanks to my old muckers.

been doing the odd nighter and soul nights since 2000 but have stopped collecting (sold up lock stock in 93). Personally I wouldn't feel put off, you've been unlucky to bump into some divs. I've had no hassle, if I did I've put enough years into the scene to give back in spades.

As Arthur Seaton said, dont let the b@st$rds grind you down :wicked:

Social source share

:wicked:   :D

link

Can never be an ex-soulie IMHO, once a soulie always a soulie.

Tell the t**** you "grew" up with to f*** off, I would. What you know or how long you've been soulin should have no bearing on your so called "standing" on the soul scene, all equal in my eyes, regardless of knowledge or years service.

Social source share

Can never be an ex-soulie IMHO, once a soulie always a soulie.

Tell the t**** you "grew" up with to f*** off, I would.  What you know or how long you've been soulin should have no bearing on your so called "standing" on the soul scene, all equal in my eyes, regardless of knowledge or years service.

link

Elequantly put Mr Chalkster :D .... but "oh! so true" :wicked::D ....

Social source share

Don't like to beat about the bush me Mark...must be the dee dah in me  :D

link

Never leaves you mate.... unlike some "mates" and "women" :D:D ....

F*** em all I say :D .... if they don't understand "this soul thing" that's in your blood from when you first hear it then they aren't worth knowing :wicked: .... but at least we all do :D ....

Social source share

Guest nubes

During the mid -80s and being in a relationship with a male soul funker then, i only did a northern niter once a month or thereabouts, spending most of my time with him at jazz-funk clubs, weekenders etc, the amount of people who questioned my loyalty to the northern soul scene was unbelievable,at times i didn't know whether to laugh or shout!!!, why does anyone on the scene have to prove themselves to others? once the music touches your soul, it will always call you back if you want that, doesn't matter if it is 5, 10 20 or 30 years, it will find you :D Del x

Social source share

hi hotwax read your post with interest i know alot of exsoulies who were on the scene in the70s 80s and 90s and one was a top dj in the country at the time.since then hes sold up .I met him by chance the other day i said are you bothered anymore he said its in your blood it never leaves you.He had been to the odd venue in the east midlands but they were churning out oldies hed listened to 30years ago.He said the scene needs to move on.In certain areas it as in others not.

Social source share

I daren't say what my other musical interest is  :D

link

I think mine is pretty obvious :D

Yes I love Elvis :D

But I also love 60's,70's,80's,90's, present day soul music.

Never been into the scene like the majority of soullies on SS but that's geographical unfortunately, needless to say the music is my source of happiness in life :wicked:

Social source share

Ex soulies!! don't understand this term once you've got the calling; well you end up on websites like this when the kids go to bed.

And to answer your question I don't consider anyone to be an ex soulie (this term is doing my f***** head in) when your in, your in, no matter what anybody says.

" Remember the feeling comes from inside you when you listen to Soul so how can anyone judge you on this?"

KTF

JG

Social source share

Just come home after the Reds & blues (small case b I know , I'm a Redman ) match and am heartened to read your posts, thank you.

There are a group of us (couples) planning to go 'away' on the August BH weekend down South (to get away from the northern 'Northern' scene as it were, to visit a nighter, wherever it may be [100 Club?] - to be anonymous soulies (how ridiculous is that but that is where it has got me.)

Our only direction for the weekend is - No Cars, just feet, buses, trains and the odd cab - how it used to be for us back in the day.

Now what is 'back in the day' for someone like me?

'BITD' is a time when I served my apprenticeship if you will:

Between 1979 and around 1988 I attended, I supported, I made friends, I listened, I learned, I loved - I became ME!!.....the me I am happy to be now - foundations laid (there's a song in there somewhere).

I have found myself in some ridiculous situations, in some places I hadn't even heard of, before being in someones flat twixt niters.

I've travelled with Brian Rae to wherever it may have been and spent all night playing bandits, not actually getting to the nighter we were meant to be going to.

I've stayed at Cliff White's (anyone remember Cliff?) house with his white witch wife and wandered round London for 24 hours, as it was the only way (as I was a doley at the time) to get down there to attend Ions warm-ups before the 100 Club.

I have realised the beauty of cutting off from the fact that I have to thumb my way home from Rotherham in two hours by keeping my head down on the dance-floor to the beauty of the hi-notes left for me by 60s and 70s Black America.

I have been made a fool of at 20 odd cos I didn't know who sang what.

I've done this, and that, and a lot of the other, as you/we all have, to get here (here!!! my place) yet I find it hard to accept that people who lead others to believe that they LOVE Black America, can cut me and people like me off at the knees with their uneducated views of what is musically right and wrong in Soul music.

You'll never take from me THAT time.....THIS time really - it made me what I am. It has allowed me to come to forums llike this and vent shit that Cliff & Moira next door wouldn't understand with like-mindeds.

I apologise for these paragraphs almost, I've had an emotonal 90 minutes, but for all the trials that the love of Northern Soul has set me, I wouldn't have it any other way (more song titles in this prattle than anything isn't there :D ????)

Although pretty new to the forum, I am soaked in the stuff that is required to be a part of it, you know what I'm talking about.

I'll finish my emotional chip with a group hug! :wicked:

Yours,

Barry May (Soulie)

Edited by Hottwaxx
Social source share

Guest alison

Hug right back atcha Barry.... for those that think they can put you down with their thoughtless remarks and all that "got the badge, got the T-shirt and never stopped wearing it in 30 odd years" malarkey ....just tell them it it smells a bit rank and needs a good wash :wicked::D

Social source share

Hotwax,

At the risk off repeating the honest & great advice above, tell your so called (ex) mate to go f**k himself.

I like yourself love black music in all its forms & styles, i would never feel the need to attend venue`s to keep other`s happy.

Go when you want & buy what moves your heart & feet & laugh at those who aint got the brains or SOUL to be themselfs.

You should never have to justify your choices in music to anyone.

Garv.

Social source share

I do believe that a lot of the scenes problems come from the inabilty to break away from the fold as it were, which is a shame - there is as much of a commitment and passion for Black American music, as big a social angle and as much qulaity out there than there has ever been....people do need to step out occassionally - difficult but rewarding.

I wish I had two lives almost, one to follow my intrigue with earlier stuff and one to follow what it (BA) is doing now - impossible, I know - there cometh the rub.

No Time.

Edited by Hottwaxx
Social source share

Having said that, that's what makes it what it is - see, I'm still confused, haha!!!! :D

link

How can I put it - I went to Prestatyn this year on my own, my family live locally so that was a bit easier i suppose. I didn't know one person, got the pass from someone on the forum who is now I hope a good pal, and the feeling in my heart when I walked into the victoria bar and heard that music was "I'm Home"

Nothing ever will ever be able to reproduce that moment for me.

I dont even think the first time I ever went to wigan was as emotional as I was 15/16 and I didn't realise how important it was at the time to be part of something so incredible.

lol

QOF

XX

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

How can I put it - I went to Prestatyn this year on my own, my family live locally so that was a bit easier i suppose. I didn't know one person, got the pass from someone on the forum who is now I hope a good pal, and the feeling in my heart when I walked into the victoria bar and heard that music was "I'm Home"

Nothing ever will ever be able to reproduce that moment for me. 

I dont even think the first time I ever went to wigan was as emotional as I was 15/16 and I didn't realise how important it was at the time to be part of something so incredible.

lol

QOF

XX

link

Brilliant.

That sums up exactly how I felt on my first night back.

I'd broken up with my girlfriend, and that same day a 'Time Out' guide was left om the 134 bus, back to Tufnell Park. It was open at the page with a small add/article for Maxine Brown (Or was it Mary Love??) at the 100 club that night.

Decided to give it a go. Walked into a room I hadnt been to for over 10 years, and felt right at home.

:D

Social source share

Guest Marcelle

*Not my comment, just what someone called me recently*

:yes:   :shades:

link

In one word "NO" your not an ex-soulie"

Unfortuntly there are some "soulies" who have a narrow and blinkered view on what Soul and being a Soulie is about.

For me its not about how many times you frequent a soulnight(er)or the venues you choose, or the knowledge you have (or in my case the lack of) of labels, artist ect..

Its about what "Soul" means to you.. (for me its WOW touches my heart and moves my feet)

I choose to stay on the scene, my two elder sisters (who got me into it) choose not to stay on the "scene" but they are not ex-soulies, nor are they any less passionate than I when they hear a "soul" sound.

I get quite cross and saddened when I hear this term, because who are these "soulies" to make judgments about yours (or others) people choices! :thumbsup:

Im sorry that there are people on the scene that feel they have a right to call anyone "ex-soulie" THEY DONT!!!

"SOUL" is not owned by "a select group" of people its a revolving door for everybody to walk in and out of when they choose to...

A dear wise (but not old) friend :shades: reminded me recently when I was feeling quite low about "the dark side of the scene" "stay true to yourself in what you believe" so Hotwax if you believe you are a "Soulie" then you will never be an "ex-soulie"

Enjoy it when, where and it whatever form it takes for YOU thats what being a soulie is about..

Marcelle x

Social source share

In one word "NO" your not an ex-soulie"

Unfortuntly there are some "soulies" who have a narrow and blinkered view on what Soul and being a Soulie is about.

For me its not about how many times you frequent a soulnight(er)or the venues you choose, or the knowledge you have (or in my case the lack of) of labels, artist ect..

Its about what "Soul"  means to you.. (for me its WOW touches my heart and moves my feet)

I choose to stay on the scene, my two elder sisters (who got me into it) choose not to stay on the "scene" but they are not ex-soulies, nor are they any less passionate than I when they hear a "soul" sound.

I get quite cross and saddened when I hear this term, because who are these "soulies" to make judgments about yours (or others) people choices!  :yes:

Im sorry that there are people on the scene that feel they have a right to call anyone "ex-soulie" THEY DONT!!!

"SOUL" is not owned by "a select group" of people its a revolving  door for everybody to walk in and out of when they choose to...

A dear wise (but not old) friend  :thumbsup:   reminded me recently when I was feeling quite low about "the dark side of the scene"  "stay true to yourself in what you believe" so Hotwax if you believe you are a "Soulie" then you will never be an "ex-soulie"

Enjoy it when, where and it whatever form it takes for YOU thats what being a soulie is about..

Marcelle x

link

:shades:biggrin.gif:shades:

QOF

XX

Social source share

Guest mattmale

Agree with everyone, no such thing as an ex-soulie. Once a soulie always a soulie. I'm currently rebuilding (or trying to) an ex-record collection (it ceased to be) and buying ancient stuff and so-called overplayed oldies, but i don't feel ashamed. Mind you if you see a guy with a bag over his head at niters browsing the dealers, that's me. :wicked:

I am interested to know more about this 'dark side of the scene' though... :shades:

Matt

Social source share

Agree with everyone, no such thing as an ex-soulie. Once a soulie always a soulie. I'm currently rebuilding (or trying to) an ex-record collection (it ceased to be) and buying ancient stuff and so-called overplayed oldies, but i don't feel ashamed. Mind you if you see a guy with a bag over his head at niters browsing the dealers, that's me. :shades:

I am interested to know more about this 'dark side of the scene' though...  blush.gif

Matt

link

Had a similar discussion walking home from a soul night with a couple of mates, 1.30 this morning, some considerable lotion had been consumed. Two of us long term soulies the other 7-8 years, i think the general conclusion was that once its in your heart it grabs you and never really lets go no matter when it grabs you.

General backslapping and male bonding followed :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Marcelle

I am interested to know more about this 'dark side of the scene' though... :shades:

Matt

link

[/color
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert