Auction Mentality

NEV

Just clicked on the link to PAT BRADY'S website

Northern soul items NOLAN CHANCE-JUST LIKE THE WEATHER M- ISSUE £300

Auction items NOLAN CHANCE -JUST LIKE THE WEATHER M- ISSUE (CURRENT BID £327) :D

Am i missing something here ...??? unsure.gif

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

Whenever a wants-list-want turns up on Ebay I look it up on every other site I can think of on the 'net, then I stick a note in my Ebay watch list of the lowest existing price, but even then it's hard not to get dragged in when the price starts nudging towards the limit, even though the limit is usually a price way more than I was willing to pay for it in the first place or I'd have already bought it from one of those other sites... :wicked:

I notice that the new beta of Ebay doesn't have the 'Add note' facility. I guess they've caught on to me.

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

Totally agree. Nothing I hate more than to see a bidding war break out with 3 days still to go.

I suppose it does give you an indication if you're going to be able to afford it though, the other thing I hate more than anything is sitting up until 3 in the morning and still losing out...

Social source share

Totally agree. Nothing I hate more than to see a bidding war break out with 3 days still to go.

I suppose it does give you an indication if you're going to be able to afford it though, the other thing I hate more than anything is sitting up until 3 in the morning and still losing out...

you don't have to sit up to 3am, use a sniping service.

Social source share

who needs a lower price when you can get the fun of an auction?

Reminds me of when i was on holiday in Turkey..

On our way back from a bus trip ,which took in a busy market, some loud woman was telling everyone in a proud way ,how she'd haggled some guy for an hour for 10 "t" shirts for a £10 in Turkish money.The guy was asking £10 for 5 at first but she got him up to 10 for £10 :unsure:

Someone said to her yeah but all the local shops do em 10 for £10 anyways :thumbsup:

Theres nothing quite like a good haggle is there :D

Social source share

I prefer to just put in an early bid for the maximum I'm willing to pay, then sit bck and wait.

Cheers Phil but we've been thru the why's and why not's of early bids ,sniping on a previous post.

suffice to say ,

each to there own ,do your own thing ,just stop pushing up the bidding on my snipes :thumbsup:

Social source share

always thought the Bunky one was rarer. :thumbsup:

Is there a "real" Bunky issue? I ask because it was one of my 'holy grails' I had a white demo and issue on Constellation, but the only 'Bunky" copy I ever saw was a monarch pressing with a matrix number that made it a late 70's release at best.

If anyone has a scan of a 'real' one I would love to see it!

Best,

RB

Edited by Rich B
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nick Harrison

Don't some people wanna get lucky or is it just a case of i've got more money than you.

Cannot believe Jack Sass Band - Where Is The Love (Visa Picture Cover) and another copy of Windy City's - Hey Its Over (Warner Bros) has found their way onto a major auction site....... :thumbsup: .

I was of the understanding an auction was for the ultra rare and highly sought. :ohmy:

Thats what I would term auction mentality as apose to the mentality of auction bidding.

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

https://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=110348915593

classic example of auction mentality

over 6 days to go and we have bidding war on ebay.

Don't some people wanna get lucky or is it just a case of i've got more money than you and im gonna "out muscle you" :thumbsup:

I had a quick look at that Nev. Obviously long time after so looks different now but I don't really see it as a bidding war. I think of that as two battling it out till one is the winner.

What I don't get here is people bidding early on who then drop out before it's even reached a realistic price. I figured at least £1,000 so can't afford it myself. What's the point of getting involved?

ROD

Social source share

I had a quick look at that Nev. Obviously long time after so looks different now but I don't really see it as a bidding war. I think of that as two battling it out till one is the winner.

What I don't get here is people bidding early on who then drop out before it's even reached a realistic price. I figured at least £1,000 so can't afford it myself. What's the point of getting involved?

ROD

I agree why bother Ive had people bid upto £20 on £1K+ why do it.

Then theres the other lot that bombard you with questions for the last day or so, then dont even bloody bother to put a bid on, time wasting Tw*ts.

Cheers Darren

Social source share

I agree why bother Ive had people bid upto £20 on £1K+ why do it.

Then theres the other lot that bombard you with questions for the last day or so, then dont even bloody bother to put a bid on, time wasting Tw*ts.

Cheers Darren

maybe it was because your rude answers to their questions turned them off... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Is there a "real" Bunky issue? I ask because it was one of my 'holy grails' I had a white demo and issue on Constellation, but the only 'Bunky" copy I ever saw was a monarch pressing with a matrix number that made it a late 70's release at best.

If anyone has a scan of a 'real' one I would love to see it!

Best,

RB

I know Richard Searling has a Bunky. He got it from Ady Croasdell who found it in London in the early 70's. Now that is a super rare record!

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

I'm guilty on both counts here... I bid early and unrealistically low.

I bid early because once I spot an item (I don't actually collect northern originals any more BTW, it got daft, so now concentrate on my other passion, modern ska) I like to chuck a bid on so that I don't miss it if I don't log into eBay as it tells me if I've been beaten, which reminds me to go back.

This is also one of the reasons I bid low.... Firstly, you never know, you may get lucky and secondly because in the past I've paid well over what I was realistically hoping to get it for by making a 'decent' bid at the start. Now I get chance to reconsider the importance of it to me, gives me a chance to look around for copies (especially important if bidding blind) and so can adjust my final bid if needed.

I also suspect that there is another collector tracking my bids if thats possible, as he seems to snipe me on a regular basis. With that in mind i enjoy boosting the price early on and then ignoring the auction afterwards. Petty but it amuses me.

Social source share

I'm guilty on both counts here... I bid early and unrealistically low.

I bid early because once I spot an item (I don't actually collect northern originals any more BTW, it got daft, so now concentrate on my other passion, modern ska) I like to chuck a bid on so that I don't miss it if I don't log into eBay as it tells me if I've been beaten, which reminds me to go back.

This is also one of the reasons I bid low.... Firstly, you never know, you may get lucky and secondly because in the past I've paid well over what I was realistically hoping to get it for by making a 'decent' bid at the start. Now I get chance to reconsider the importance of it to me, gives me a chance to look around for copies (especially important if bidding blind) and so can adjust my final bid if needed.

I also suspect that there is another collector tracking my bids if thats possible, as he seems to snipe me on a regular basis. With that in mind i enjoy boosting the price early on and then ignoring the auction afterwards. Petty but it amuses me.

that used to be possible, now it's not possible because searching a user's bids only reveals finished auctions that user won. if it happens still it's probably someone with similar tastes / wants. generally the same set of people bid on the same set of items.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert