Peanut Duck

Birder66

What's the full story behind this tune - is it Marsha Gee, does it have an issue, how much do they go for. How easy would it be to get one? Got a horrid 8ts boot

As far as I'm aware. Unissued. unknown artist acetate. I love it, and have tried to get my hands on the acetate. No joy though. The boot is very good sound quality though isn't it?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The vocal has been re- issued legally by Penniman records in a picture sleeve , here's some info about the record from IFrecords site :

Little is known about this number, save for the fact that it was waxed at Philadelphia's Virtue studio at some point in the mid-sixties. There are several opinions concerning the identity of the singer hiding behind the Marsha Gee artistic name (a celebrity?, was she drunk or simply knackered?). Another mystery: how comes that such a powerful number was not originally released? Preserved through an acetate -discovered in the late 70's- it was later included in a few compilations, some of them good, some of them quite horrendous... In any case, here you have the first legit and, hopefully, definitive release of "the duck song". Call it soul, R&B or simply dance music... In a perfect world, such a dance would be taught in schools.

Best,Eddie

• Helpful 1
Social source share

What's the full story behind this tune - is it Marsha Gee, does it have an issue, how much do they go for. How easy would it be to get one? Got a horrid 8ts boot
tHE mARSHA GEE RECORED THE PENUT DUCK WAS ASSUMED BY MOST AS A CLEVER DESPTION CREATED FOR THE NORTHERN SOUL MARKET IN THE MID TO LATE 8ts AND I ALWAYS THOUGHT A CLEVER PIECE OF MUSIC IF YOU COMPAIR IT TO SIMON S EVORTS AND THE EXCELLANT EARY IAN LAVINE TUNES. BUT IT WAS TO MY AMAZEMENT WHEN I FOUND OUT IT WAS A LAGIT 6ts RECORDING FROM NEW YORK AREA ANY WAY WHAT I DO KNOW IS BUTCH HAS A ORIG COPY HOPE THAT THIS OF SOME USE AS TO PRICE WHO KNOWS THESE DAYS HOWEVER A VERY RARE ONE I WOULD SAY ...DAVE
Social source share

Guest Leigh J

tHE mARSHA GEE RECORED THE PENUT DUCK WAS ASSUMED BY MOST AS A CLEVER DESPTION CREATED FOR THE NORTHERN SOUL MARKET IN THE MID TO LATE 8ts AND I ALWAYS THOUGHT A CLEVER PIECE OF MUSIC IF YOU COMPAIR IT TO SIMON S EVORTS AND THE EXCELLANT EARY IAN LAVINE TUNES. BUT IT WAS TO MY AMAZEMENT WHEN I FOUND OUT IT WAS A LAGIT 6ts RECORDING FROM NEW YORK AREA ANY WAY WHAT I DO KNOW IS BUTCH HAS A ORIG COPY HOPE THAT THIS OF SOME USE AS TO PRICE WHO KNOWS THESE DAYS HOWEVER A VERY RARE ONE I WOULD SAY ...DAVE

Has Butch got the Virtue Acetate that Keb first had ? I am pretty sure this didnt get an issue .

Keb first played this as 'The Dance Track' not the peanut duck.

Social source share

Certain I heard this first via John Vincent along with other great toons from the man, inc' Walter & Sisters and its an acetate only release that was in the collection of a local Bedford Soulie I used to see reguarly in the 80s, the instrumental was 'The Dance Track' I am sure, not the vocal.

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Certain I heard this first via John Vincent along with other great toons from the man, inc' Walter & Sisters and its an acetate only release that was in the collection of a local Bedford Soulie I used to see reguarly in the 80s, the instrumental was 'The Dance Track' I am sure, not the vocal.

Keb deffo played the vocal at Stafford as the Dance track ,

Social source share

Has Butch got the Virtue Acetate that Keb first had ? I am pretty sure this didnt get an issue .

Keb first played this as 'The Dance Track' not the peanut duck.

YOU WOULD HAVE TO ASK HIM BUT HE TOLD ME THIS AT KEELE ALLNIGHTER WAY BACK AND ALSO TO MICK SMITH AS WE WERE SELLING NEXT TONE ANOUTHER HE SAID HE FOUND IT IN NEW YORK AS YOU WILL BE AWARE I COLLECT UK SOUL AND GAVE UP ON US PRODUCT MANY YEARS AGO AS SUCH I HAVE ONLY ABOUT 1000 US RECORDS MAINLY TORCH AND EARLY WIGAN TUNES I JUST THINK TO COLLECT US SOUL NOWDAYS YOU NEED A REALY GOOD JOB THE DAY WHEN I USE TO SELL SAM DEES £15 OR THE RINLEADERS £6 ARE FAR GONE ASK BUTCH TELLHIM I TOLD YOU TO ASK MANY THANKS DAVE
Social source share

Certainly John spun at the lengendary Morecombe Pier allnighters early 80s and at venues out and about b4 that, have a tape where he introduces the instru' as 'The Dance Track' but certainly Keb is the first I remember spinning the vocal. Johns tastes at the time were superb and many a sound he spun ended up on my Wants, only just got a Walter & Sisters after almost 26 yrs of searching!!!

Edited by TheBigO
Social source share

YOU WOULD HAVE TO ASK HIM BUT HE TOLD ME THIS AT KEELE ALLNIGHTER WAY BACK AND ALSO TO MICK SMITH AS WE WERE SELLING NEXT TONE ANOUTHER HE SAID HE FOUND IT IN NEW YORK AS YOU WILL BE AWARE I COLLECT UK SOUL AND GAVE UP ON US PRODUCT MANY YEARS AGO AS SUCH I HAVE ONLY ABOUT 1000 US RECORDS MAINLY TORCH AND EARLY WIGAN TUNES I JUST THINK TO COLLECT US SOUL NOWDAYS YOU NEED A REALY GOOD JOB THE DAY WHEN I USE TO SELL SAM DEES £15 OR THE RINLEADERS £6 ARE FAR GONE ASK BUTCH TELLHIM I TOLD YOU TO ASK MANY THANKS DAVE

so, if butch's copy came from new york, then kebs old copy must still be out there somewhere, anybody know where ??????

Social source share

Yes, I've been trying to get it for years. Still never heard owt of the guy who was gonna try and get it for me.... :lol:

Keb sold the 7 inch virtue dub [vocal & inst ] to Jason Haynes of Bedford many moons ago 1987ish because he showed me it on the nite @ The 100 club . Price £ 100 . Jason has sold it ages ago.

Social source share

The vocal has been re- issued legally by Penniman records in a picture sleeve , here's some info about the record from IFrecords site :

Little is known about this number, save for the fact that it was waxed at Philadelphia's Virtue studio at some point in the mid-sixties. There are several opinions concerning the identity of the singer hiding behind the Marsha Gee artistic name (a celebrity?, was she drunk or simply knackered?). Another mystery: how comes that such a powerful number was not originally released? Preserved through an acetate -discovered in the late 70's- it was later included in a few compilations, some of them good, some of them quite horrendous... In any case, here you have the first legit and, hopefully, definitive release of "the duck song". Call it soul, R&B or simply dance music... In a perfect world, such a dance would be taught in schools.

Best,Eddie

I'm not sure how they licensed an unknown acetate without finding out who the label or producer was. You or I could have licensed them it but it wouldn't make it legal.

I'm pretty sure there's just the one original copy.

Social source share

I'm not sure how they licensed an unknown acetate without finding out who the label or producer was.

I agree but what puzzles me, the Penniman reissue has a fantastic sound quality from what I remember so they sure haven't dubbed it from one of the bootlegs/reissues but at least from the original acetate or even master tape? Is there really no hint on the label or producer on the acetate?

Social source share

I agree but what puzzles me, the Penniman reissue has a fantastic sound quality from what I remember so they sure haven't dubbed it from one of the bootlegs/reissues but at least from the original acetate or even master tape? Is there really no hint on the label or producer on the acetate?

The label just had hand written title " PEANUT DUCK " thats it . I did buy a dub off John Vincent with vocal / inst which he had cut off the Virtue "7"

Social source share

If they'd got a better copy it would have to be a master but they would surely say where it came from and what the story was. i suppose they could have digitally reinhanced the boot which is more likely.

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Wasnt there a big piece in the black echoes,about the peanut duck and Keb anyone remember ? or even have it !

Your right Ken I have it somewhere , I wiil try & find it

Social source share

A couple of years ago "The Peanut Duck" was included on Rhino's massive box set "One Kiss Can Lead to Another - Girl Group Sounds Lost and Found". As far as I know they're a company that properly license eveything they release. I don't have that box-set, so don't know what info can be found in the booklet, but perhaps there are some clues? :)

Social source share

the penniman release credits only say written-by Scott/Hairston on "Virtuel Music",

licensed from goldmine, so anyone info on the writers maybe?

Goldmine :thumbsup: bet its a virtuel licence

Edited by ken
Social source share

• 2 months later...

Just been looking around for the instrumental (if anyone has it can they please place a copy in refosoul - thanks) and found this video on Youtube with the vocal backing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTi-t0YLKj4

However states that the music has been removed by Warner Music Group, do they now own the copyright in this track? Perhaps they have some connection with Virtue or the publishers (Virtuel) whomever that maybe. Surely Goldmine can't own the copyright?

Composers are Hairston (Curtis or Forrest??)/?? Harris

The mystery continues??

Social source share

Just been looking around for the instrumental (if anyone has it can they please place a copy in refosoul - thanks) and found this video on Youtube with the vocal backing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTi-t0YLKj4

However states that the music has been removed by Warner Music Group, do they now own the copyright in this track? Perhaps they have some connection with Virtue or the publishers (Virtuel) whomever that maybe. Surely Goldmine can't own the copyright?

Warner Music Group owns Rhino Records and a couple of years ago "The Peanut Duck" was included on Rhino's box set "One Kiss Can Lead to Another - Girl Group Sounds Lost and Found". That's probably why WMG have interfered and the reason why that YouTube video doesn't have any sound. Rhino usually does things "by the book" and they must've licensed it from someone. Does anyone of you have that box-set and can see what's in the liner notes? :lol:

Social source share

Warner Music Group owns Rhino Records and a couple of years ago "The Peanut Duck" was included on Rhino's box set "One Kiss Can Lead to Another - Girl Group Sounds Lost and Found". That's probably why WMG have interfered and the reason why that YouTube video doesn't have any sound. Rhino usually does things "by the book" and they must've licensed it from someone. Does anyone of you have that box-set and can see what's in the liner notes? :thumbsup:

I had a look at that boxset and it states 'Licensed from Mary Hill Music'? I'm not the wiser unless that's the publisher of Peanut Duck, but even then they wouldn't own the right in the recording?

Social source share

Yes, I've been trying to get it for years. Still never heard owt of the guy who was gonna try and get it for me.... :lol:

Dom Bassett bought It of Keb early 90s - I remember listening to it in his flat in London in the 90s - I did try and contact him for you to see if he was up for selling it but he has vanished into Essex somewhere !

I wll try and contact Guy Joseph and see if he has a contact for Dom

Cheers M

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Dom Bassett bought It of Keb early 90s - I remember listening to it in his flat in London in the 90s - I did try and contact him for you to see if he was up for selling it but he has vanished into Essex somewhere !

Cheers M

Thanks Mossy, I appreciate that mate. :lol:

Phil.

Social source share

• 5 years later...
Guest Deadpool

Cheers M

Hi I'm the guy Jason Haynes who brought it off Keb at 100 club, he only wanted 80 but I paid 90, he was decent to let me know it was being pressed and copies were going for sale in a fortnight, me I just wanted to buy a rare record at the 100 club, and this one was for sale.  I later swapped it for a Lambretta Scooter in bits with a guy named Bradley Goodwin from Bedford, last I heard he gave it to an female aquaintance at the time.  My gut sank when she said she was gonna make it into a clock.  Should be able to find him on Facebook fore more info on the record.

Cheers Jay

Social source share

Hi I'm the guy Jason Haynes who brought it off Keb at 100 club, he only wanted 80 but I paid 90, he was decent to let me know it was being pressed and copies were going for sale in a fortnight, me I just wanted to buy a rare record at the 100 club, and this one was for sale.  I later swapped it for a Lambretta Scooter in bits with a guy named Bradley Goodwin from Bedford, last I heard he gave it to an female aquaintance at the time.  My gut sank when she said she was gonna make it into a clock.  Should be able to find him on Facebook fore more info on the record.

Cheers Jay

What!  :ohmy:  make it into a clock! Are you serious? :rofl:

Was it the original acetate? Was there any information on the label?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Was that Sally who bradley gave it too? If it is then I live next door to her mother so can find out if its still intact or currently ticking 

You need to let her know she is sat on a gold mine if she hasn't knackered it up. It's tragic what happens to some rare soul historical items.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!