Rugby Niter...oops They Have Done It Again

Well, you've done it again Rugby, an absolutely fantastic night! Brillant atmosphere in both rooms, just look at the play lists and the quality of the records the dj's were playing. This venue, just have some have already said, just gets better and better all the time. Thank you for a fantastic night!

Keep safe, keep dancing.

Charlie Mc

Banbury Soul Club

• Replies 70
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest andrew bin

my first visit to rugby and i have to say what a great night, really liked the venue, i particularly liked the freestyle room my kind of place both tracie and i thought paul goulds spot was excellent also enjoyed eddies spot thumbsup.gif

on the ocaision i was in the main room the dance floor looked packed which is always a good sign thumbsup.gif i really enjoyed matts spot as well as the bit i heard of dave rimmers spot (to busy talking) and obviously keith money was up to his usual standard

great night, great company with lovely people (particularly the couple out of the good life) :thumbup:

look forward to the next one :P

Guest Bearsy

Why dont it suprise me that Rugby yet again did the business biggrin.gif Glad the night was another success for you all and i WILL make it up to the next one as its been a while since i last attended :huh:

ps, Thanks for all the kind words and support ive had and yes i had an amazing weekend with my daughter and at last things are looking up on that front :lol:

until next time :g:

Bearsy

my first visit to rugby and i have to say what a great night, really liked the venue, i particularly liked the freestyle room my kind of place both tracie and i thought paul goulds spot was excellent also enjoyed eddies spot :lol:

on the ocaision i was in the main room the dance floor looked packed which is always a good sign :g: i really enjoyed matts spot as well as the bit i heard of dave rimmers spot (to busy talking) and obviously keith money was up to his usual standard

great night, great company with lovely people (particularly the couple out of the good life) :thumbup:

look forward to the next one thumbup.gif

Damn Andy I really want to meet you both and pay homage to the flyermeister! But I was a little bit wasted and forgot to find you...

And it was lovely to meet you Philly, you cute little Scottish person.

Also forgot to say that I loved your sets in the freestyle room Debbie, seamlessly moving from genre to genre without missing a beat. In Imberboy's 'mystery shopper' DJ politeness survey, you also came out tops. He approached every DJ and asked them for The Snake, and recorded their responses, which ranged from 'Sorry mate I haven't got it with me', to 'F*** off you c***'. Not only had you brought the Snake with you, obviously anticipating that you might have to fend off nutters like Simon at some stage of the evening, but you were very cheerful in your refusal to play it :huh:

Guest gouldensoul

my first visit to rugby and i have to say what a great night, really liked the venue, i particularly liked the freestyle room my kind of place both tracie and i thought paul goulds spot was excellent also enjoyed eddies spot :g:

on the ocaision i was in the main room the dance floor looked packed which is always a good sign thumbsup.gif i really enjoyed matts spot as well as the bit i heard of dave rimmers spot (to busy talking) and obviously keith money was up to his usual standard

great night, great company with lovely people (particularly the couple out of the good life) :lol:

look forward to the next one :huh:

A MILLION THANKS IM GLAD YOU ENJOYED THE SET. :D:thumbup:

YOUVE MADE AN OLD SOULIE VERY HAPPY :lol::lol:

ITS ALWAYS A GREAT COMPLIMENT TO GET POSSITIVE FEED BACK :ohmy:

Thnks Rugby,another top night out,ive only just got home :D .

My evenings entertainment started with hoot at Andy's,ill pick you up at 6.00,Andy being Andy not ready make up and stuff still being applied,with a swift boot up the jacksie off we goes M1,in my brand spanking new car (i love peoples faces at 137mph......class they are :lol: ).

Ist call the pub meet up with the Rimmers & Woodies and great to see Geoff & Sue Claxton nice chips mate thanks,in pops my old mate Keith Money and boy did we gossip/giggle or what...great stuff mucker.

Benn Hall called .....full of great people all up for it ,too many peeps to mention but Beeks what happened to the hair mate?,Theresa thanks for my easter bunny love it.

My highlight in walks Mickey Cruise along with Annie followed by Dean all the way from Wrexham good and true mates , a continuation of last months partymood.Dean i think you won our freestyle dance competition,funny as fcuk,no and i aint gonna do knee slides at full pelt to the stage....too old i am :lol: .

Thanks must go to Tony "has it got 5 or 6 gears" Warrot,for the driving duties on the way south,btw i lied about the trains/buses,but you did well mate, thumbup.gif .

Musically a near perfect night.ALL the DJs played very well ad to a very high standard,but i must say Keith you'll be the death of me playing Soul Inc & don Hysong ...cheers mate.

Cant wait for the next one...Rugby never fails to please....thankyou

off to bed now

Toby.

Just a quick thanks to everybody who made our night so enjoyable starting off with meeting up in the Avon Mill pub, to Sian taking us down to the train station for the long trip back to Scotland with her lovely red slippers on.

I thought I was back in Kansas if only you could click your heels and be back in Dundee I would have bought them from you.

Too many people to thank individually but you know who you are and a special thanks to Sian and Dean for their hospitality and for persevering to get me on as it has taken me a while to fit it in with my work rota but it was definitely worth the wait as we had a brilliant time.

I was in sweat just before the start of my first spot as Mr Rimmer decided to hide from me outside while my box was chained up to his but he came back in time for me to pull a few tunes out as Matt was finishing his first set which was great.

I thought being fairly early that it might take a bit of time to get going but boy was I wrong as it was obvious that a great night was ahead by the reaction on the dance floor so thanks for that.

Lots of great tunes all night in both rooms and Eddies spot was particularly enjoyable for me as we swapped tapes for years before finaly meeting at Cleethorpes a number of years ago and his records and taste are of the highest quality.

Great to see the Banbury team and thanks for the great requestes Tom.

I could go on but too many people to thank so In the words of the brilliant Don Hyson "Soul Searchers Thats What We Are"

Thanks

Keith,Sandra,Sheilah & Phyllis.

Damn Andy I really want to meet you both and pay homage to the flyermeister! But I was a little bit wasted and forgot to find you...

And it was lovely to meet you Philly, you cute little Scottish person.

Also forgot to say that I loved your sets in the freestyle room Debbie, seamlessly moving from genre to genre without missing a beat. In Imberboy's 'mystery shopper' DJ politeness survey, you also came out tops. He approached every DJ and asked them for The Snake, and recorded their responses, which ranged from 'Sorry mate I haven't got it with me', to 'F*** off you c***'. Not only had you brought the Snake with you, obviously anticipating that you might have to fend off nutters like Simon at some stage of the evening, but you were very cheerful in your refusal to play it laugh.gif

'F*** off you c***'

That was me :D:lol:

Guest glyn-w

A big thank you to Sian & Dean for inviting me down to play at Rugby last night. I haven't been to the Benn Hall since the days when the modern room was in full swing (now the freestyle room), and therefore not since it became a niter.

It really is a great venue and so relaxed and friendly. DJ'ing in the main room at a Northern all niter is not the norm for me, as most of you know, but it was great to get the chance to play all those tunes that I don't get to play too often, and always a pleasure to spin in the company of me old mate Adam.....TOP MAN!

Nice to meet some new folk, including Keith Money and Matt Smart, who between them brough back a lot of memories for me with the tunes they were spinning. I left about 3:30 with the jazz-funk set in full swing.....complete with whistles!!! Had to get going while the red bull was still working.....and you can tell that I wasn't drinking as I reckon I've not only remembered what I played, but also the majority of what Adam played. So, barring a couple of tunes which excape me now, here is a fairly accurate reflection of our one hour spot midnight -1am

??? (Adam)

Pages - Heartaches & Pain (US Sunstruck 7") (Adam)

Southside Movement - Do It To Me (US 20th Century 7") (Mark R)

Mandrill - My Kind Of Girl (My Girl) (US Arista LP) (Mark R)

James Walsh Gypsy Band - Cuz It's You Girl (US RCA 7") (Adam)

L.A.X. - All My Love (UK Epic 7") (Adam)

Mind & Matter - I'm Under Your Spell (US M&M 7") (Mark R)

Melvin Moore - All Of A Sudden (request) (US Sky Hero 7") (Mark R)

Ron Hall & The Muthafunkaz - The Way You Love Me (UK Defected 7") (Adam)

DJ Kawasaki feat. Tasita D'mour - You Know How To Love Me (JAP Especial 12") (Adam)

Soul Brothers feat. Joi Cardwell - Let It Go (Deep Soul Vocal Mix) (US Deep Soul/Nervous 12") (Mark R)

Samuel Sartini & Michael Watford - Real Love (Original Mix) (EU Glitter 12") (Mark R)

Jeff Perry - Love Don't Come No Stronger (Than Yours And Mine) (US Arista 7") (Adam)

Bobby Womack - So Many Sides Of You (UK Motown 7") (Adam)

Prince Phillip Mitchell - I'm So Happy (US Atlantic LP) (Mark R)

Jan Jones - Independent Woman (US Day-Wood 7") (Mark R)

??? (Adam)

Beloyd - Get Into Your Life (Mark R)

Bill Harris - Am I Cold, Am I Hot (US RCA 7") (Adam)

Terry Callier - Ordinary Joe (US Elektra LP) (Adam)

It's a good sign that we were able to play some newer bits in the main room and still get a floor, but of course that's nothing new because it's axactly what Adam was doing back in the 80's at Leicester Oddfellows!! thumbsup.gif Respect to all those that listen with their own ears rather than worrying what the soul police or their peers tell them. :D:lol::lol:

Thanks everybody once again and enjoy the rest of your Easter break! :)

Cheers,

Mark R

Thanks Mark for Blinding spot, would have loved it to have been modern all the way ..but the floor dictated a bit a ..hope thay bring you back...

Thanks Mark for Blinding spot, would have loved it to have been modern all the way ..but the floor dictated a bit a ..hope thay bring you back...

Thanks......glad it appealed to you............and I have made it clear that I would do it again! wink.gif

Cheers,

Mark R

Matt Smart's playlists -

First Spot

Gloria Shannon - Tears (are gifts from heaven) - Real Side (previously un-realeased

William Hunt- Would you believe - Steamside

DeCrescendos - One of the crowd - Prism

Buddy Ace - Screaming please - Duke

Jackie Wilson & Laverne Baker - Think twice - Brunswick

Margie Hendrix - Restless - Mercury

Marv Johnson - With all that's in me - United Artists

Montclairs - Hey you! Don't fight it - Arch

Chimes - The beginning of my life - Down to earth

Charles Mann - Hey little girl - Lanor

Darrow Fletcher - My young misery - Groovy

Joe Simon - Long hot summer - Sound Stage 7

Velvelettes - Lonely lonely girl am I - VIP

Tony Diamond - Don't turn away - Blue Rock

Bobby Bell - Drop me a line - RCA

Tommy Neal - Goin' to a happening - Pameline

Bobby Bland - Yum yum tree - duke

Stoppers - Come back baby - Jubilee

Four Tops - Ask the lonely - Motown

Second spot

Bobby Valantin - Use it before you lose it - Fania

Minzi Berry - Don't you dare to cry - Score

Cliff Nobles - My love is getting stronger - Atlantic

Singing Sam - Move it baby - Dan-dy

Liz Lands - Midnight Johnny - Gorgie

Arabians - Please take a chance on me - Le Mans

Little Gigi - I volunteer - Decca

General Assembly - Sensitive mind - Desiree

Sleepless Knights - Driving me crazy - Jerroc

Dry Well - Gypsy - Lauren

George E Lee - Dance what you wanna - Kapp

Kurt Harris - Emperor of my baby's heart - Diamond

Marie Knight - That's no way to treat a girl - Musicor

Sam Fletcher - I'd think it over - Tollie

Chuck Wright - Palm of your hand - Ember

Peels - Time marches on - Audio Fidelity (UK)

Chosen Few - Birth of a playboy - Canyon

TSU Tornados - Please heart don't break - Rampart Street

Johnny Bartel - If this isn't love - Solid State

Ambers - I love you baby - Verve

Bobby Reed - The time is right for love - Bell

sorry mines so late... :lol:

Kieth money does it for me every time, but the whole nite was a great gathering of like minded soulful people, always a good atmosphere at rugby, said it befor say it again, one of the friendliest venues around, and the burgers vans good aswell, good to catch up with some people I aint seen for ages, and good to talk, always enjoy my self here and always will, glad to see more virgins broke in at rugby :lol: roll on the next one, because I cant wait for it, and ganche those shoes!!!! are to die for, last note to all the dj,s well done to all of you thumbup.gif

sorry mines so late... :g:

Kieth money does it for me every time, but the whole nite was a great gathering of like minded soulful people, always a good atmosphere at rugby, said it befor say it again, one of the friendliest venues around, and the burgers vans good aswell, good to catch up with some people I aint seen for ages, and good to talk, always enjoy my self here and always will, glad to see more virgins broke in at rugby :ohmy: roll on the next one, because I cant wait for it, and ganche those shoes!!!! are to die for, last note to all the dj,s well done to all of you :thumbup:

Yes and another late write-up from me...............................

Agree, Rugby has waited far too long for a visit from Keith Money. Now he has visited; I'm sure he will be remembered ! Nice to see Sandra, Sheila and Philly as well.

Our own Eddie Hubbard played some blinding slower sides in the Free-Style Room which attracted a good appreciative crowd. Also a few lesser known B sides. As Keith commented earlier, Ed has some great tastes in music and we have ALL been led by him at some point over the years.

Adam & Mark worked brill together in the Main Room and I commented that this would be great to revisit at the Cleethorpes Weekender ?

Liked the soundz Andy was playing in the Freestyle Room and also Pete's Jazz Funk hour was memorable. Had me travelling back to Dunstable California Ballroom and the Bali Hai at Birmingham Locarno circa 1977-79.

Well done to ALL the DJ's in both rooms though as the music played crosses all boundaries and you get to hear a little of everything.

How nice to be just 25 miles up the road from this venue - which moves from strength to strength. So well done Sian & Crew for another great nite.

Cheers................. Tom. Banbury Soul Club.

Well its a late one from me aswell, but as they say better late than never...... tongue.gif

Not gonna go on too much, but all in all it was a good night, great to meet up with mates we hadn't seen for a while :lol: the music was great apart from the modern hour, but there again modern ain't really my thing, but the were a couple played that are on me wants list, one of em being Bobby Reed - The time is right for love :ohmy:

But i do have to say, the one DJ that really did do it for us, was the one and only Mr Fingers :lol:

Nice 1 Johnny :lol: see you soon!!! :lol:

JB & Mart xxxx

Edited by JELLYBEAN

Adam & Mark worked brill together in the Main Room and I commented that this would be great to revisit at the Cleethorpes Weekender ?

Now there's a thought Tom!! I think we did double up one Sunday afternoon once before in the Modern Room at Cleethorpes actually.

Good to speak to you on the night mate.

Cheers,

Mark R

Guest Andy Kempster

Liked the soundz Andy was playing in the Freestyle Room

cheers Tom thoroughly enjoyed myself and so glad my choices were appreciated

Mine was early, but the thread accepted it late.

Another brill night at Rugby. I was dancing till, well, too late, and as always both rooms were just full of beans.

Freestyle room seemed fuller than usual, didn't catch everyone, but particularly enjoyed Debbie and Pete's spots - I was intrigued to know what the jazz funk was gonna be like, didn't expect something so modern sounding. Great to dance to.

Other pluses: creme egg just when I had no energy left (could this be the new dancefloor fuel of choice?). Beeks' new look. I wasn't even sure it was Beeks. Having a couple of rare almost-presentable photos taken of me (and unfortunately a rather thuggish one). Lots of amusing personalites and chats. The all-female "Rugby's Got Talent" panel. Catching up with loads of nice people, and meeting some new ones.

Great night as always! Kudos S&D.

WOW, is the best way I can describe tonight/last nite... :thumbup:

When we realised it was to fall on Easter Sat and with so much on, it could have easily been so different.

But the last couple of weeks, I had been getting so many enquiries that I started to actually feel confident (not often I do that beforehand)...

The place just seemed to buzz from 6.30pm - yes, I know we officially start at 8pm but try telling the keen ones.

Thanks Ken for doing the 7pm - 8pm spot... :ohmy:

It's lovely being able to say that they were coming from Australia, Sweden, Ireland and every corner of the UK and to top it all Rob Moss just popped in from Vancouver... :lol:

Well thanks to all you lot out there, I will now be on a high till the next one in June... :thumbsup:

The only trouble with being so busy, I didn't get on the floor much before 3am when the last ones came in... rolleyes.gif

Hiya Guy's, gotta say what a fantastic night Sue and i had at Rugby. After travelling down the motorway from the Annesley soul night we were met by the door staff and of course the welcome smell of bacon.. The place was heaving, just what we wanted to see, so it was straight into the freestyle room for my 2 till 3 spot. Funny ole' room that, it can empty in an instant and fill back up just as quick with soulies flitting from room to room. Then as quick as you could say Frank Wilson it was time for my spot in the main room. Following Johnny fingers was an honour and to be on just before Dave Rimmer, well what more could i ask for ?? All in all well worth the 12000 miles and Sue and i hope to be back next year. Here's my play lists in order of play, oh and Johnny, NO MATE none are for sale at the moment, sorry. See yas all soon, stay soulful. Tony T BONE. OZ. Spreading the faith down under.

Freestyle Room, 2 till 3 am.

Benny Curtis, dirty hearts.

Billy Floyd, time made you change your mind.

Olympics, no more will i cry.

Joe Anderson, i can't get enough of you.

Lee shot Williams, love now, pay later.

Buddy Lamp, next best thing.

Peppermint Harris, wait until it happens to you.

Perigents, love on a rampage.

Inez and Charlie Foxx, you fixed my heartache.

Dickie sweet sugar Wonder, nobody knows.

Larry Davis, i've been hurt so many times.

Al Gardner, sweet baby.

Larry Atkins, aint that love enough.

Servicemen, i need a helping hand.

Lollipops, loving good feeling.

Sharon Scott, could it be you.

Jesse Fisher, your not loving a beginner.

Donna Colman, your loves too strong.

Lou Courtney, i watched you slowly slip away.

Ray Algere, in my corner.

Jimmy McFarland, lonely lover.

Eddie Wilson, toast to the lady.

Billy Thompson, black eyed girl.

Four Pro's, you can't keep a good man down.

Main Room, 4 till 5 am.

Honeybees, let's get back together.

Al Williams, i am nothing.

Al Gardner, sweet baby.

Appreciations, i can't hide it.

Johnny Howard, the chase is on. ( request )

Lou Pride, i'm cumun home in the mornun.

Dave Charles, ain't gonna cry no more.

Lee Fields, take me back.

Major Harris, call me tomorrow.

Ken Williams, come back.

Buddy Lamp, save your love.

High Keyes, living a lie.

George Allen, come on back.

Sam Williams, love slipped through my fingers.

Silky Hargraves, keep loving me like you do.

O'Jay's, i'll never forget you.

Debonaires, headache in my heart.

Posse, evil.

Billy Hines, ling ting tong.

Bobby Williams, i've only got myself to blame.

Syl Johnson, do you know what love is.

Hope there were a good few soulies that liked my spots, even if they seemed a little different to the so called ' NORMAL ' records played. As we say down under, so much soul, so little time. Keep on keeping on, and keep up the good work Sian and Dean.

Source Advert