Your Favourite Dee-jays

ajb

on the back of a recent dj related thread

WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE DJ, PAST OR PRESENT.

add your favourites over the next week, then we can have our own poll, and create a soul source top ten/twenty :lol:

if you think its a good idea, leave your ideas for contenders :lol: , if not, don't no.gif .

but don't moan, please :lol::D .

alan

Social source share

• Replies 142
  • Views 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

How many can you vote for, 1...3???

lets get a list of contenders first, so name as many as you wish, you older guys will know a lot more than the younger crowd.

once we have a list together we can then vote accordingly.

hope this makes sence :lol:

alan

Social source share

Same for me..Richard Searling....untouchable during the latter years at Wigan....Delxx

There's only one DJ deserves to win this - Richard Searling.

Top DJ from Wigan right up until today. Open minded, inventive and refuses to be pigeon holed.

J.

Social source share

untouchable during the latter years at Wigan...

Agreed.... And not to bad at Va-Va's as well...

*Basil Faulty Mode*

'Don't mention the Wigan, I did once but I think I got away with it!'

:lol:

Edited by Teapot
Social source share

I would like to nominate:-

Terry Jones - for his selection of awesome soul records and his stage presence, simply magic.

Andy Rix - for his un-issued finds and top quality rarities.

John Philips - one of the scenes great characters and an awesome collection, not afraid of playing unknowns or little knowns and again great stage presence.

Barry Tasker - The first DJ I listened to at a Northern Soul Venue at The Pendulum in Manchester, I always admired his style of DJ'ing and he introduced me to so many great records.

Flanny - (all the Orwell guys but I have to choose one) Again a great presence behind the decks and he continues to put together great sets.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Agreed.... And not to bad at Va-Va's as well...

*Basil Faulty Mode*

'Don't mention the Wigan, I did once but I think I got away with it!'

:yes:

:P:lol::lol: ..... :lol: ...also Mark Bicknell...how could i forget !!,...Delxx

Social source share

Guest franky m

As a southern boy , from the 80,s i would nominate ian clarke and keb darge , i could only afford the train fair to london ....

Social source share

hammy from bedford

Totally agree with you here, top guy.

Regards

Alan

hello alan,i only put hammy as my number 5 dj because i new him from bedford when he was just a n/soul follower just like me he used to do the wigan thing in the mid 70s etc along with other celebs like mr tony warot and mr tommy taylor i got married and drifted of the scene kept all my 45s but came back a few years ago and mr hammy has turned dj and a very fine one imo. :lol:
Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

From then

Dave Thorley

Nev Wherry

Ian Clarke

Richard Searling

From now

Denny Johnson, Perth, Western Australia

Kev Core, Gold Coast, Qld

Social source share

hello alan,i only put hammy as my number 5 dj because i new him from bedford when he was just a n/soul follower just like me he used to do the wigan thing in the mid 70s etc along with other celebs like mr tony warot and mr tommy taylor i got married and drifted of the scene kept all my 45s but came back a few years ago and mr hammy has turned dj and a very fine one imo. :lol:

I used to run a venue in Stockport called Great Moor Conservative Club and my co-promoter and very good friend a guy called Steve Foran who originally came from the Bedford area suggested we get Hammy up to play a set at our venue and he came and played an awesome set and we have remained good friends since then but I have recently lost touch as I have moved, I last saw him was at Prestatyna couple of years back.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

I used to run a venue in Stockport called Great Moor Conservative Club and my co-promoter and very good friend a guy called Steve Foran who originally came from the Bedford area suggested we get Hammy up to play a set at our venue and he came and played an awesome set and we have remained good friends since then but I have recently lost touch as I have moved, I last saw him was at Prestatyna couple of years back.

Regards

Alan

hello alan,dont you mean "foggy" foran from great barford,beds another old mate of mine.
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

For who i have seen

Martin Stanford

Soul Sam

John Vincent

Keith Wilcox

Dave Forrest

It could change if i will get or had the pleasure of hearing a lot of the DJ's on here etc

Social source share

That's him although I didn't know his nickname was foggy, how did he get that name.

Regards

Alan

not sure how he got the name alan er maybee from school?? but the last time i saw him was at a soul night at the cutler-hammer social club in bedford one friday night years ago i think he came down from up north to go to a family wedding he did a spot at the c/hammer club that night and played his original big "ztsc" copy of mel britt does he still have it??,a nice bloke is foggy is he still about on the soul scene??
Social source share

I concur, a simple and outstanding example of everything that a DJ should bring to the table - if I'm honest the bloke is just in a different league. :lol:

Colin Curtis - for providing good music from day one ......

Richard Searling - for his unswerving belief in what it he was doing , and still does ......

Dave Thorley - for steering the ship into uncharted waters ......

Ian Levine - before the wheels came off .......

Roger Eagle - for setting the foundation stone in the building of today ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Perfectly put mate - and what he did to expand the boundaries of Northern in his position at the time wasn't at all the easy route to take - just the right one.

I have know Richard for more years that I care to , and knew from the first time I met him , his enthusiasm for the music , and what he was involved , and would be involved in , singled him out from the pack ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

I have know Richard for more years that I care to , and knew from the first time I met him , his enthusiasm for the music , and what he was involved , and would be involved in , singled him out from the pack ......

Malc Burton

Cue me buttering Dickies arse but here we go - I can remember his selections and sets over the years almost crystal mate.

How?

Because of the way he built his set's.

Era and style-wise they were all over the place, but the quality and underlying integrity of the records he utilised made era and style totally irrelavant - danceable, relevant soul music just flowed out seamlessly.

The records he played always made me aware of the moment, almost stopped me in my tracks.

Barry May (OBN) :lol:

Social source share

Cue me buttering Dickies arse but here we go - I can remember his selections and sets over the years almost crystal mate.

How?

Because of the way he built his set's.

Era and style-wise they were all over the place, but the quality and underlying integrity of the records he utilised made era and style totally irrelavant - danceable, relevant soul music just flowed out seamlessly.

The records he played always made me aware of the moment, almost stopped me in my tracks.

Barry May (OBN) :yes:

I could not have put it better :lol: ......

Richard always took a gamble , but his gamble always paid off ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

Ian Clarke

Keb Darge

Gary Rushbrooke

Richard of Searlingshire

And Mr Tony Dellar for introducing me to this crazy scene.

Social source share

Looks like RS taking an early lead.

shades.gif

I don't think anyone would doubt that Richard Searling will top this poll. He's been there, done that, worn the T-Shirt for over 40 years now.

In terms of my favourite DJs these days, and I don't want to include anyone from the past because the Northern Scene is NOW, it's not just nostalgia, these are the guys who I would travel to hear, and very rarely remember them doing a spot I didn't enjoy.

Keith Money

Chris Anderton

Roger Banks

John Weston

Ady Croasdell

and there's one guy who's spot I never miss

Dave Rimmer

Social source share

Guest realsoulfan

I got into the soul scene during the 80's and these DJs at the time was doing it for me

Colin Curtis

Richard Sealing

Gary Rushbrooke

Poke

Mark Farley

thumbup.gif

Social source share

I don't think anyone would doubt that Richard Searling will top this poll. He's been there, done that, worn the T-Shirt for over 40 years now.

In terms of my favourite DJs these days, and I don't want to include anyone from the past because the Northern Scene is NOW, it's not just nostalgia, these are the guys who I would travel to hear, and very rarely remember them doing a spot I didn't enjoy.

Keith Money

Chris Anderton

Roger Banks

John Weston

Ady Croasdell

and there's one guy who's spot I never miss

Dave Rimmer

:lol:

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Then:

Ian Clarke

Richard Searling

Keb n Guy

Gary Spencer

Irish Greg

Andy Rix

Shifty

Gary Rushbrooke

Poke

Rod Dearlove

Now:

Butch

Karl Heard

Mick H

Andy Dyson

Terry Jones (Norfolk Village Type)

Ady Croasdell

Mick Smith

Keith Money

Soul Sam

Arthur Fenn

Flanny

Steve Plum

Steve G

Dave Thorley

Mick Smith

Dave Greet............Fantastic !

Sean Hampsey

Carl Fortnum

Dean Anderson

Saus

Cliff Steele

The Woons

Shay Richardson

James Trouble

Big list i know & they'll be people i have missed too, so apologies.

Social source share

THE LIST SO FAR...............................

in no particular order

Richard Searling

John Vincent

Alan Rhodes

Pep

Martin Ellis

Mick Smith

Soul Sam

Butch

Keith Money

Nev Wherry

John Vincent