Suspicion. A Little Suspicious If You Ask Me

Mick Boyle

I don't know if this has already been asked here. But this is one of my favorite songs and I have a few questions about it that I cant find the answers to. I have noticed that there are many different versions, recorded under many different names such as the Prophets, The Detroit Prophets, The Originals and I am sure I also have a version by the Monitors (on CD) somewhere. Who recorded it first? I have also noticed it has been accredited to Holland Dozier Holland, but also accredited to Wilson and Stephenson. Who actually wrote it? I have previously been told that the versions are the same but just sped up/slowed down. But if you listen to the different versions it is clear this is wrong as the order of lines in the chorus are swapped around also. Which lyrics are the original lyrics? I am aware the that the song has never been officially released as 45 at any time and was an album track. But that is the only thing I do know. Any information regarding this song would be very much appreciated.

Mick

Social source share

Hi Mike  there are three versions I know off all acetates  the two 60's versions  are two different lead vocalist  as far as I know then there's a slightly more funky edged version that's been doing the rounds of late  . The slightly fast 60's version is the one that was originally played covered up as the Detroit prophets by Dave Withers  the prophets and monitors were both speculation as to the true identity to the artists at the time originally played. the slightly faster version is definatly a different lead vocalist  to the version on the this is northern soul c.d  which came out 10+ years ago as iv'e slowed it down to match the slower version   and the vocals are pitched higher

hope that help mate

atb Steve

Social source share

Mick Boyle, on 29 Sept 2014 - 09:13 AM, said:

I don't know if this has already been asked here. But this is one of my favorite songs and I have a few questions about it that I cant find the answers to. I have noticed that there are many different versions, recorded under many different names such as the Prophets, The Detroit Prophets, The Originals and I am sure I also have a version by the Monitors (on CD) somewhere. Who recorded it first? I have also noticed it has been accredited to Holland Dozier Holland, but also accredited to Wilson and Stephenson. Who actually wrote it? I have previously been told that the versions are the same but just sped up/slowed down. But if you listen to the different versions it is clear this is wrong as the order of lines in the chorus are swapped around also. Which lyrics are the original lyrics? I am aware the that the song has never been officially released as 45 at any time and was an album track. But that is the only thing I do know. Any information regarding this song would be very much appreciated.

Mick

Hi Mick

These previous threads may be of interest:

+the +originals

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have never seen any evidence of a Monitors' recording of that song.  As far as I know. there were only the two different versions by The Originals. 

Off top of me head, three 60's, two slower and one quicker tempo and two late 60's early 70's take.  They might be done same time just funky wah wah guitar and such.

Social source share

Thanks for help - any more is appreciated

I did a search before I started the thread and found nothing (must be me) 

About 12 years ago I was given a CD full of un-issued Motown and requested never to give it out.

On there is a version I didn't recognize, I asked who it was and The Monitors was the answer  

Thanks for the thread links Pete 

Edited by Mick Boyle
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

About 12 years ago I was given a CD full of un-issued Motown and requested never to give it out.

On there is a version I didn't recognize, I asked who it was and The Monitors was the answer  

No problem Mick. I think there are some other threads too - but I'll never remember which one's I've linked now!  :facepalm:  :lol:

If you go into the Look At Your Box forum you could try another search in there.

Great record by the way - easily my favourite Motown track.

All the best mate.

Peter

Social source share

I know of I think 5 takes, all by the Originals using at least two different leads, Freddie Gorman and CP Spencer. Never heard of one by the Monitors.  The Prophets, Detroit Prophets and any other name are bootlegs.

Was told by Hank that it's CP Spencer on lead on the speeded up one.

Dx

Social source share

Suspicion (Brian Holland-Lamont Dozier-Edward Holland Jr) publ. Jobete

The Originals; recorded Hitsville, completed 14-Apr-66 ; produced by Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier ; [version 1]

25-May-66 [acetate]; 45 (M): CCMN 0979-NHDD

23-Mar-98; CD (M): Debutante 530 814 2 This Is Northern Soul! Volume 2 [uK]

23-Mar-99; CD (M): Motown 31454 9506 2 The Very Best Of The Originals

28-Jun-01; CD (E): Spectrum 556 827 2 Northern Soul Connoisseurs [uK]

02-May-05; CD (M): Motown 067 024 2 This Is Northern Soul! The Motown Sound Volume 1 [uK]

06-Nov-06; CD (M): Reader's Digest RDCD 5411-3 The Ultimate Motown Collection - Dance Party

The Originals; recorded Hitsville-GW, completed 25-Jun-71 ; produced by C.P. Spencer ; [version 2]

[rel date unknown] [acetate]; 45 (M): National Sound Corporation

Social source share

You should be able to tell if a cut was really The Monitors.  Richard Street's voice is unique, and easily recognisable.   I don't believe any other male member of that group led on any recording until their Buddah release, after Richard left the group to join The Temptations.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!