Worst Motown Record?

Guest Hunnymon

Just Motown's take on the classic "cut in" record. Surely more deserving than a mention in this thread smile.gif

I think that this was the very first cut up record,it was way way before Chris Hill.

I bought a copy really cheaply many years ago and it's where I heard many of the Motown classics for the very first time - so it certainly did a good promotion job on me :P .

I agree, it's a good fun record!!

Social source share

Guest isis

Do you remember the video of Hello when basically

he was stalking a blind girl...Bad tune and worse video thumbup.gif

Yup, you'd get 5 years for that now...and a bit added on for the stalking :P

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

It's already been mentioned but nothing comes close to the turd that is 'I Just Called To Say I Love You'... angry.gif

As for the Jackson 5, 'I Want You Back' is a sublime record, and has had a play out recently at a nighter, to my pleasant surprise :boxing:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Someone had to say Bruce Willis

what about Miami disco machine and Syretta wasn't good either.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Someone had to say Bruce Willis

Syretta wasn't good either.

There are plenty of good Syreeta records - "I'm Goin Left" is utterly fantastic, so are "Come And Get This Stuff", "I Love Every Little Thing About You", "I Can't Give Back the Love I Feel For You" etc.

There are so many bad Motown records that I don't see how anyone can honestly narrow it down to a 'worst'. But if we're talking Detroit, "Motown Sound" era, 1960s Motown classics and not novelties/MOR/'Licensed In' repertoire etc - that is, genuine Motown recordings of genuine Motown compositions by what we would think of as genuine Motown artists, I think I'd have to pick "In And Out Of Love" by Diana Ross and the Supremes, a record so twee and emotionless that it makes "The Happening" sound like a deep soul classic by comparison...

The previously maligned DeBarge, BTW, made several good records before they started having their pop hits. "I Like It", for instance, is excellent early 80s group soul.

Same goes for the Commodores. Things Like "Just To Be Close To You", "Sweet Love" and "This Is Your Life" are just great soul records that, as far as I'm concerned, are beyond any sort of reproach...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

If some of the 60's & 70's tracks mentioned on here are your bad ones, god helps us, some of you obviously don't know what crap actually came out on the label in the later years.

Social source share

Guest Krissii

ooooo theres a few!

first of all though, good calls on Bruce Willis / Charlene / Rare Earth / R Dean Taylor !

BAD call on Commodores Machine Gun.... come on surely The (Human) Zoo and 3 Times A Lady are a lot worse!

I'm gonna put forward "Keep On Truckin'" by Eddie Kendricks...

And "I was born this way" by Carl Bean lol..... im not homophobic but this tune is CHEESE

(im happy, im carefree, and im gay, i was born this way...)

Shabba

Social source share

• 11 years later...

as much as i admire Stevie Wonder. 

I just called  &  Isn't she lovely,  have to be in the top 5 worst Motown releases.   

Isn't she lovely , reminds me of Hey Jude , Beatles.....    repetitive garbage after 3 minutes

Edited by Ian Parker
typo
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 03/06/2009 at 02:48, bri pinch said:

WHY WOULD MOTOWN WANT TO ISSUE SHITE LIKE SUSPICION BY THE MONITORS, WHEN THEY COULD ISSUE CLASSIC TRACKS BY DAN THE BANJO MAN :thumbup:

BRI PINCH.

SUNDAY CHILLOUT, 7TH JUNE, HORSE AND GROOM PUB, EAST LAITH GATE, DONCASTER.

Did The Monitors actually record that song???  I've only encountered The Originals' recording of it.  Are you sure you didn't mean "by The Originals"?

Social source share

On 02/06/2009 at 15:03, Nige Brown said:

The thread WAS Worst Motown Record was it not !! :)

So that in my OPINION is it okeh !! :D

So tuff!! :lol::ohmy::lol:

Anyway just found a demo on EVILBAY!! so there!!

Torchboy!! :D

post-1851-1243980068_thumb.jpg

post-1851-1243980068_thumb.jpg

The Interview (Summit Chanted Meeting) was the first Motown "break-in" record, and was much worse than Captain Zap's: 

JackHaney&NikiterArmstrong-SummitChantedMeeting.jpg

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!