The Third Degree - Mercy

• Replies 64
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Played it each night at Bridlington Weekender after getting my copy off eddie pillar in Germany

half a dozen peole asking what it was each night when I played it

its an instant record-and the thing that makes it "Northern is the horns sampled from Gene Chandler "There was a time"

get one whilst you can !

Rob

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

never heard this before today I know behind the times but what a record

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=Y-V0K7BHDt4

I can't get excited about either version but this is far superior to bloody Duffy's warbling version, i've had my copy since it came out and bought it purely to play at our club and it always goes down well.

Ste.

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

Played it each night at Bridlington Weekender after getting my copy off eddie pillar in Germany

its an instant record-and the thing that makes it "Northern is the horns sampled from Gene Chandler "There was a time"

get one whilst you can !

Rob

I didn't mind it too much at brid, it was the Holly St. James played twice in the main room in the same hour that pissed me off!

Edited by soulmaguk
Social source share

get one whilst you can !

Rob

Hi Rob, played this to Steve and Kev a couple of months back, primarily to point out the horns, are they really sampled or just very similar? Particularly noticeable on Inst flip, which side did you play out? Hope all's well mate.

Night Nurse - any oneknow were i can get a copy of this

Crazy beat records had them on their list for a while, not sure if they've any left, worth a try though, sure I onlyy paid £5 from them. www.crazybeat.co.uk

Edited by Dean
Social source share

Hi Rob, played this to Steve and Kev a couple of months back, primarily to point out the horns, are they really sampled or just very similar? Particularly noticeable on Inst flip, which side did you play out? Hope all's well mate.

Night Nurse -  any oneknow were i can get a copy of this

Crazy beat records had them on their list for a while, not sure if they've any left, worth a try though, sure I onlyy paid £5 from them. www.crazybeat.co.uk

Played the Vocal Dean-they are a bunch of white indie rockers who had the idea of doing the cover "In reverse" they paly it in thier sets in London, Eddie heard it and pressed 5,000 45s,

It sounds like a sample to me dean especially at 20 k watts ! I didn't know what attracted ,me to it the first couple of plays then I releaised

you know the words (Duffy) and the tune is a throwback (gene Chandler) it really is good !

i'll get on to him and see if he has any left

Pm me if you need one if I get them 

Rob

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest soulmaguk

How is this version any better than Duffy's? It's terrible. Sounds like they're trying to sound like Blood Sweat & Tears.

correct, it really does suck, and is not 'northern'

Social source share

Guest clanger v2

The best £3.50 I have spent on a record, played it out a couple of times in R&B rooms and gone down well in the middle of an up-tempo set.

Had a few people come up to the decks to ask who it's by.

Not 'Northern' by any stretch, but a great dance tune, and puts Duffy's version to shame.

Very 'Terence Trent D'Arby' sounding I reckon.

Social source share

Maybe get off the computer Pete.. Take off your slippers and get out to a late night venue.. Have 5 pints of tramps brew and something for the weekend

Then you can see what the track does..

It sounded pretty good to me in the early hours of the morning at home after a night out... Not the same in the cold light of day..

fARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR better than the Duffy track indeed..

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

it'll be the acid jazz soounding version of the arctic monkeys " i bet you look good on the dancefloor" next

Social source share

Can't wait to see your list in a couple of years time Pete

Very rare , 1st issue of Mercy by the 3rd Degree, £100 !

The record sounds great in a club over a BIG system, one for the dancers-not the shufflers.

You pays your money and you makes your choice

Rob

Social source share

Sad... Are you really that arsed ???

No I'm not that arsed, but when someone posts up that they've heard a fantastic record, I don't expect it to be a version of Duffy's Mercy so I'm giving my opinion on it Steve. What's the point of having this f*cking forum if you can't give your opinion without someone making arsey comments all the time?

Social source share

it'll be the acid jazz soounding version of the arctic monkeys " i bet you look good on the dancefloor" next

Where can I get this from Davie? I hear it's the best thing since the acid jazz sounding version of Wigfield's "Saturday Night", monster floorfiller...

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

What makes me laugh about the Mercy recording is all the rumpuss last year about the fact that Mercy had been played out at Whitby weekender so it was now considered a poppy soul venue, and that Brid Weekender refused to play it last year to keep it different to Whitby. Now Brid reveals that Mercy was played twice this year, so what does this tell us then!? I think that since i learned that Duffy wrote it, and it really wasn't a remake of a 60s sound, and have listened to nearly all Duffy's songs now, I have come to the conclusion they really do not do anything for me, not even a remake of a penned Duffy song.

Edited by soulmaguk
Social source share

After the hellfire and damnation that was hurled from some quarters at anyone who mentioned the D word when Mercy was released, be interesting to see what the response to this is g.gif click for Telegraph article Third Degree

Already discussed a few days ago, here:

https://www.soul-sour..._third%20degree

Never saw what the problem was with the old one. Ok record, great video. Brought the music some new attention, a good thing IMO.

The new version works well on the dancefloor, fits in more with the general sound. Retro, which personally I'm not generally keen on, but for all that its well done, and I don't theorise too much when my feet are moving.

Social source share

Didn't like Duffy's version at all, hated the 'northern' connotations shoe-horned onto it by the media, and after hearing some of her other stuff I find it all a bit banal & anodyne - perfect pop for today's market/kids, but a complete waste of an undoubted talent and a very intriguing voice.

She should get herself a decent soulful songwriter - and I'm sure we've all got different views on who the ideal person/s would be - and push & stretch herself a bit.

I would, however, bash the granny out of her.

I really liked Third Degree's version, would - have - bought it, have danced to it & think it sounds mustard when played ou

Social source share

I find it a bit sad that people are arguing the merits of two versions of a recent chart record. "Hey whats your favourite version of Mercy, the crap girl one or the even crapper indie one"

Was it not you who asked for people's opinions / views earlier in the thread?

Hardly fair to then call them sad when they offer up a different opinion to yours.

Social source share

Was it not you who asked for people's opinions / views earlier in the thread?

Hardly fair to then call them sad when they offer up a different opinion to yours.

I didn't call anyone sad, I said IT is sad, IT being the discussion of the track in question.

I wish some people on the forum would learn to read before writing crap.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Yes, sorry Pete, you're correct, i'll go back to school and learn to read.

But, if IT (i.e. the discussion of the track in question) is sad to be talking about this, why did you ask for more views, thus extending the thread?

Can't quite phrase this properly but at the end of the day we're not discussing the merits of which version of say Ain't No Soul is best, we're discussing a recent Uk number 1 which is why I found it a bit puzzling.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

She should get herself a decent soulful songwriter - and I'm sure we've all got different views on who the ideal person/s would be - and push & stretch herself a bit.

I think her voice would be more suited to a country sound. If she got herself over to Nashville, I could see her hitting gold.

That ad she did for coke or pepsi, actually made me cringe. Her first album was too dreary.

BUT I think she has THE voice of her generation, but it isnt quite suited to the soulful slant put on her.

If she was to do a soul cover, I'd love to hear her do - You've Got Your Mind On Other Things.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Yes, sorry Pete, you're correct, i'll go back to school and learn to read.

But, if IT (i.e. the discussion of the track in question) is sad to be talking about this, why did you ask for more views, thus extending the thread?

Nice.

Pete you should be ashamed of your blatant hypocrisy and anti social behavior. You should chastise yourself, severely.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I should have said, I have a nice copy of this, and enjoy playing it at home.

Thanks to a very nice man. He's very very nice.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert