United Sound Of Soul Saturday 19Th September

Guest Bearsoul

A pity about the clash of dates, Chris - I do enjoy a fix of the Greatstone when circumstances allow !! yes.gif

To hear some of your wonderful tunes, too, would have been the 'Cherry on the icing'. thumbsup.gif

Hope you enjoy your evening and see both you & Carlos soon.. Somewhere !! thumbup.gif

Fingers.. shades.gif

Yeah but cya very soon !!! thumbsup.gif

• Replies 265
  • Views 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest SoulRenaissance

WHAT??? You gotta tell me more ... ... I'm still laughing at the nickname, even without knowing the detail :ohmy:

Never heard of Rob the Stick Phil, can't believe that?

Well known on the scene early 90's around the East Midlands area, as well as niters. Used to sell records.

Still not with us?

Known as Rob Gourlay, but changed his name to Robina or something like that? And started wearing loose fitting garments of the female variety.

Hardly been sighted since the mid 90's. Ask Roger Banks as he knew him well, who used to be in the clothing business i think?

Also Dave Rimmer, possibly can fill you in?

Martyn

Never heard of Rob the Stick Phil, can't believe that?

Well known on the scene early 90's around the East Midlands area, as well as niters. Used to sell records.

Still not with us?

Known as Rob Gourlay, but changed his name to Robina or something like that? And started wearing loose fitting garments of the female variety.

Hardly been sighted since the mid 90's. Ask Roger Banks as he knew him well, who used to be in the clothing business i think?

Also Dave Rimmer, possibly can fill you in?

Martyn

I'm filling no body in !

You must have heard of Rob the Stick though Phil.

He eventually had a sex change operation and moved to Scotland where he set up house with a guy who worked on the rigs off Aberdeen. There was a TV documentary about him and his operation a few years back. I'll tell you what though, he was an ugly bloke, but made an even uglier woman. It was hilarious seeing him humping two 300 count boxes into the back of his Landrover, wearing his high heels.

Best story about him though comes courtesy of Jim and Soap.

he was called Rob the Stick because he used to use a walking srtick (Never seemed to need it for anything other than claiming his disability money), anyway, at each Blackburn niter Jim and Soap used to borrow his stick when he wasn't looking, take the rubber ferrule of the end and saw half an inch off the bottom of the stick and then return it.

Shows how much he needed the stick, this went on for at least six months, and by then the stick was at least three inches shorter than it used to be. :):lol:

I'm filling no body in !

He eventually had a sex change operation and moved to Scotland where he set up house with a guy who worked on the rigs off Aberdeen. There was a TV documentary about him and his operation a few years back. I'll tell you what though, he was an ugly bloke, but made an even uglier woman. It was hilarious seeing him humping two 300 count boxes into the back of his Landrover, wearing his high heels.

he was called Rob the Stick because he used to use a walking srtick (Never seemed to need it for anything other than claiming his disability money), anyway, at each Blackburn niter Jim and Soap used to borrow his stick when he wasn't looking, take the rubber ferrule of the end and saw half an inch off the bottom of the stick and then return it.

Shows how much he needed the stick, this went on for at least six months, and by then the stick was at least three inches shorter than it used to be. :thumbup::lol:

Dave that story has just made my weekend PMSL, must make sure I never take a walking stick out with me :lol:.

Sharon

I'm filling no body in !

Shows how much he needed the stick, this went on for at least six months, and by then the stick was at least three inches shorter than it used to be. laugh.gif:thumbup:

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif Priceless, PMSL!!! Course I remember ... ... erm ..... her. Once had the honour of listening to Gaz Kellet discussing the merits of american tan tights with ... erm ... him at Tony's. (Same night that he attached coat hangers to everything and generally got on people's tits - funny though).

Didn't know about the sawing of the stick though - genius - or her nickname! (I think Mrs Doubtfire did the rounds for a time too - harsh?) The thing that made me laugh out loud initially was the thought of someone coming up with that monicker for someone who'd suffered the most cruel loss of all. Didn't know it was Robin. I don't think you're being unkind insofar as the aesthetics are concerned either Dave; if she said it was Xmas you'd sing f*ckin carolslaugh.gif .

Hope you're well matethumbsup.gif

Guest gordon russell

Was at a venue long time back and paul donnelly.....said to me.......go and ask that fella/woman if he/she has got "PROVE YOURSELF A LADY " nearly wet myself laugh.gif

Guest SoulRenaissance

Yea, yea, yea.. YEA !! yes.gifyes.gifMe too !! thumbup.gifCan't wait - Soooo EXCITED !! yes.gifyes.gif

Is it here yet ???? huh.gifunsure.gifg.gifNO !??! ohmy.gifohmy.gifOHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhwahh !!!! sad.gif6.gif ...

sleep3.gifsleep3.giftumbleweed3.gifmellow.gifhuh.gifunsure.gifg.gifinnocent.gif

IS IT HERE, YET.. ????????? shhh.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Fingers.. ph34r.gifgood.gif

No not quite. For those who've got nothing better to do, will soon fly. But for some of us?

WHAT??? You gotta tell me more ... ... I'm still laughing at the nickname, even without knowing the detail :ohmy:

I remember returning from one of the Cleethorpes Weekender's and R.T.S. - all dressed up - was at the train station with a trolley full of record boxes and the kindly guard offered her help in lifting the boxes onto the train, and Rob (obviously still with dangler's intact) replied in a deep voice, "no thanks Mate, I'll manage." The look on the Guard's face was a picture watching Rob load the boxes on board with ease!! :D

Guest SoulRenaissance

Martyn you are so funny :lol:

That said, is there anything better than USOS? Especially this Saturday? no.gif

I wasn't trying to be funny. It just comes naturally.

Guest SoulRenaissance

I remember returning from one of the Cleethorpes Weekender's and R.T.S. - all dressed up - was at the train station with a trolley full of record boxes and the kindly guard offered her help in lifting the boxes onto the train, and Rob (obviously still with dangler's intact) replied in a deep voice, "no thanks Mate, I'll manage." The look on the Guard's face was a picture watching Rob load the boxes on board with ease!! biggrin.gif

Carrying on with the stories. One week me and my brother were working at Weston Favell in Norhtants, a block of flats there.

There were more changes going on there between the residents, than there are costume changes at a pantomime.

One guy used to go in as Trevor, came out as Eva. No pun intended, this is all Kosher.

Brian who was quite well built, but used to dress in leotard type leggings and carry a black handbag. I was bending down once and he came up behind me, and said "Excuse me please". Turned round, you coulda knocked me over with a feather.

Then there was a little guy who used to sell books. When my mate came with us one day he got chatting to this guy, told him he liked leather. The little guy was made up. Next day he was kitted out with his leather trousers and waistcoat.

There was also a couple who looked like something out of the monsters. He was tall, skinny, and had a hair lip. She was short and extrtemely fat. I could've swore it was Pandora's box being opened when they opened the door of their flat.

Certainly an experience working there. And they call us Weirdos on the soul scene?

We also broke down a couple of times on the way home, stories which i won't go into now.

They were a friendly bunch though, i can say that. Especially the guys, they were always asking us in for tea.

Only 5 days to go now.

Martyn

after reading all this I really dont know what to say I,m still laughing, mybe phil will wear a pair of tights whilst hes dancing:shades:

anyways its nearly hear and cant come fast enough for me, only down side is, ..i dont want it to end:unsure:

I'm shaving as we speak hun ph34r.gif

Guest SoulRenaissance

OOOHH !! getting close now......another superb installment of USOS...Soul back in Blackheath....BLOODY BRILLIANT

R.I.P Tiffany's Long Lane.

Heard of that venue Billy, but hadn't got a clue where it was. So were on hallowed ground then in Blackheath eh?

Sorry Mike (in advance)

You f*ckin c*nts boxing.gif If Cunliffe sees this I'll never live it down ohmy.gif

Sorry Phil or is that Phillipa honestly I'm crying laughing here it's a lovely picture of you, I told Kev that's what you'd say laugh.gif.

Now back to business directions for anyone that needs them will be up tomorrow and dj times within the next couple of days.

Sharon

Heard of that venue Billy, but hadn't got a clue where it was. So were on hallowed ground then in Blackheath eh?

Approx 10 mins walk away from the Deja Vu is Long Lane.

Half way up this was Tiffany's...typical Mecca layout, Large stage, cracking large dance floor couple of bars either end.

Loads of palm trees and raised seating areas all around the dancefloor, large carpark,... ( An Ex 1930's Odeon Cinema)..the type they just dont build now...the type to die for....

Very fond memories of Tiffany's Sunday Soul nights after a weekend up North...

Couldn't believe it when it closed.

It became a DIY Store...Its now an Outdoor Store ( Camping etc)....frusty2.gif..

Waiting by the phone.........

post-200-12529657142628_thumb.jpg

==========================================================================================================

Blimey Phil how on earth as that photo of u on the settee in my conserveratory from last Sat nite surfaced on hear was that just before we did that deal

on the Knights & the Stunnersohmy.gif

OK Directions to the Club are below

Take the Slip Road Off M5 J2

A4123 for 0.19 mile(s) (0.31km)

(THIS IS THE ROUNDABOUT UNDER THE MOTORWAY)Atthe roundabout, take the third exit(south Bound) and first exit (North Bound)onto A4123

BirchfieldLane( A4034 ) for 0.59mile(s) (0.95km)

At theNext roundabout, take the second exit onto Birchfield Lane (A4034) (MCDonalds on your Left) A4034 for0.86 mile(s) (1.38km) (This Rd changesto Oldbury Rd after the dual carriage way)

ThroughTwo sets of Traffic lights. At the Third Set of lights (Lidl on your left) Turn Left

On ToArcher Way

Approx100yds Straight through the lights(Horner Way), First right as if going onto Sainsburyscarpark(Club is on your right)

Satnavstake you to long Lane which is behind the club

IF YOU GET LOST JUST ASK FOR SAINSBURY`S

Guest SoulRenaissance

Approx 10 mins walk away from the Deja Vu is Long Lane.

Half way up this was Tiffany's...typical Mecca layout, Large stage, cracking large dance floor couple of bars either end.

Loads of palm trees and raised seating areas all around the dancefloor, large carpark,... ( An Ex 1930's Odeon Cinema)..the type they just dont build now...the type to die for....

Very fond memories of Tiffany's Sunday Soul nights after a weekend up North...

Couldn't believe it when it closed.

It became a DIY Store...Its now an Outdoor Store ( Camping etc)....frusty2.gif..

Sacrilege is the word i'd use. Wonder how many Mecca clubs there were? They must have made a packet out of the soul scene.

Didn't every town have fantastic venues over the years, including upwards of 6 around Cannock area.

All gone now.

OK Directions to the Club are below

Take the Slip Road Off M5 J2

A4123 for 0.19 mile(s) (0.31km)

(THIS IS THE ROUNDABOUT UNDER THE MOTORWAY)Atthe roundabout, take the third exit(south Bound) and first exit (North Bound)onto A4123

BirchfieldLane( A4034 ) for 0.59mile(s) (0.95km)

At theNext roundabout, take the second exit onto Birchfield Lane (A4034) (MCDonalds on your Left) A4034 for0.86 mile(s) (1.38km) (This Rd changesto Oldbury Rd after the dual carriage way)

ThroughTwo sets of Traffic lights. At the Third Set of lights (Lidl on your left) Turn Left

On ToArcher Way

Approx100yds Straight through the lights(Horner Way), First right as if going onto Sainsburyscarpark(Club is on your right)

Satnavstake you to long Lane which is behind the club

IF YOU GET LOST JUST ASK FOR SAINSBURY`S

I could very easily kill two stones with one bird and do some errands beforhand wicked.gif

Guest SoulRenaissance

I could very easily kill two stones with one bird and do some errands beforhand wicked.gif

How about killing three 'stones' with one bird and doing my shopping too Lou, as Sats gonna be hectic.

Source Advert