"storm Warning" - Daryl Hall & John Oates

A colleague was just playing a new 4 CD box set of Daryl Hall & John Oates when a 100% mph BRILLIANT version of the Volcanoes "Storm Warning" came on. This was obviously recorded in Philly in the late 60's and is actually much faster and better than the Volcanoes version and has never been previously released to my knowledge. Anyone else heard it?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

A colleague was just playing a new 4 CD box set of Daryl Hall & John Oates when a 100% mph BRILLIANT version of the Volcanoes "Storm Warning" came on. This was obviously recorded in Philly in the late 60's and is actually much faster and better than the Volcanoes version and has never been previously released to my knowledge. Anyone else heard it?

Ian D biggrin.gif

its not bad ....but better??? no way!!! :yes:

Social source share

Ian D biggrin.gif

Sorry Ian, it's not a patch on the Volcanos, and it's certainly not a contemporary '60's recording. This track didn't make the Change of Season album which was mid 80's.

Social source share

Has anyone played track no.2 "I need your love"? This is The Masters on Crimson. Didn't know Hall and Oates were in that group too...

There's actually a few great tracks on there but "Storm Warning" kinda crashed through the office system. Now I'm listening to it again I'm wondering when it was recorded....? It could have been a 60's vocal that's had the drums remixed and a guitar overdub to bring it more in line with the later Hall and Oates stuff. My colleague managed to leave the all-important Box Set booklet at home so I couldn't check. whistling.gif

Also, I've listened to a lot of their early Philly stuff but not heard that one before.

I'll tell yer what though...the lead vocal, background vocals and horns sound like vintage 60's to me. If it is an 80's recording it's pretty extraordinary that they could get it so right. Musta been a vintage arranger on that one for sure -

What on earth would make 'em record a Volcanoes flop from the 60's in the 80's? It's nothing like the rest of their 80's stuff at all - "Kiss On My List", "I Can't Go For That", "Maneater", "Private Eyes" etc. So what happened? They were selling millions of records at the time with their own songs, so to suddenly turn up in the studio at the height of their 80's synth-pop success and cover a Volcanoes flop from 15 years before seems odd.

Damn I need those notes now.....

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Sorry Ian, it's not a patch on the Volcanos, and it's certainly not a contemporary '60's recording. This track didn't make the Change of Season album which was mid 80's.

Yep, you're right. I just checked Barry's link. Wow. Unbelievable for the mid 80's IMO - I'm impressed 'cos it sounds very natural so hats off to 'em for putting down such an authentic pastiche. A stunning Northern Soul record by any measure and now I'm going to dig out the Volcanoes for comparison purposes. There was a time when you couldn't move for the sheer weight of water damaged original Arctic copies of the Volcanoes spewing out of Robinson's in Manchester....maybe I've never heard a decent copy of the Volcanoes? Every one I ever had sounded muddy and was probably water damaged.......?

I quite like that "Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid" as well. I like Hall & Oates anyway but I didn't realise they were making stuff of this calibre in the bloody 80's.............I'm blagging one of those box sets sharpish for sure....

Ian D :D

Social source share

There's actually a few great tracks on there but "Storm Warning" kinda crashed through the office system. Now I'm listening to it again I'm wondering when it was recorded....? It could have been a 60's vocal that's had the drums remixed and a guitar overdub to bring it more in line with the later Hall and Oates stuff. My colleague managed to leave the all-important Box Set booklet at home so I couldn't check. whistling.gif

Also, I've listened to a lot of their early Philly stuff but not heard that one before.

I'll tell yer what though...the lead vocal, background vocals and horns sound like vintage 60's to me. If it is an 80's recording it's pretty extraordinary that they could get it so right. Musta been a vintage arranger on that one for sure -

What on earth would make 'em record a Volcanoes flop from the 60's in the 80's? It's nothing like the rest of their 80's stuff at all - "Kiss On My List", "I Can't Go For That", "Maneater", "Private Eyes" etc. So what happened? They were selling millions of records at the time with their own songs, so to suddenly turn up in the studio at the height of their 80's synth-pop success and cover a Volcanoes flop from 15 years before seems odd.

Damn I need those notes now.....

Ian D biggrin.gif

I think it was just a 'labour of love' given Hall's affection for 60s Philly Soul, he obviously knew the Volcanoes version from his younger days and fancied doing a copy of an old youthful favourite?wink.gif

Social source share

I think it was just a 'labour of love' given Hall's affection for 60s Philly Soul, he obviously knew the Volcanoes version from his younger days and fancied doing a copy of an old youthful favourite?wink.gif

Yeah you're probably right but "Storm Warning"?

I would have thought "The Laws Of Love" would have been a better bet.

Mind you, substitute "Laws Of Love" for "Out Of Touch" and you realise where they got their hooks from........thumbsup.gif

I heard that great Len Barry version of "When You Call Me Baby" t'other week and it made me wonder about how many other great unreleased Philly tracks from that era may be knocking around. It's not just a Northern thing - I LOVE all the stuff from that period, Len Barry and Johnny Caswell

included........

I still haven't located a decent recording of the Volcanoes version yet. I'll check this out if I can find it.........

https://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1209859/a/Storm+Warning:+Philly+Original+Soul+Classics+Volume+1.htm

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

It's probably a lot more involved than a labour love. Given that DH was in the Temptones, and both he and JO were in the Masters, it's possible that they shared studio time with the Volcanos in the day.

Social source share

It's probably a lot more involved than a labour love. Given that DH was in the Temptones, and both he and JO were in the Masters, it's possible that they shared studio time with the Volcanos in the day.

sure I read somewhere in the mists of time that John Oates played (guitar) on some of the Temptones tracks or other Arctic recordings.

Social source share

Yeah you're probably right but "Storm Warning"?

I would have thought "The Laws Of Love" would have been a better bet.

Mind you, substitute "Laws Of Love" for "Out Of Touch" and you realise where they got their hooks from........thumbsup.gif

I heard that great Len Barry version of "When You Call Me Baby" t'other week and it made me wonder about how many other great unreleased Philly tracks from that era may be knocking around. It's not just a Northern thing - I LOVE all the stuff from that period, Len Barry and Johnny Caswell

included........

I still haven't located a decent recording of the Volcanoes version yet. I'll check this out if I can find it.........

https://www.cdunivers...cs+Volume+1.htm

Ian D biggrin.gif

Yeah, I agree, 'Laws of Love' is a far cleaner and perhaps superior archetypal 'Northern' old skool perfection (I love it!) but perhaps he was not aware of the exact blueprint we apply - well, obviously he was not!thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Nice spot Tabs, hope you are well mate, yeah, a cracking little read and clears up a little debate that is opening up here!

Love those pics of them with The Temptations. Still hoping that the next Wolverhampton will not clash with my birthday do, mind you, took me and Winny a week to recover from the last one - seriously!

Hope to see you then, mate, all the bestthumbsup.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

give em credit for includin it. they obviously wanted give it some oomph and do it justice , doesnt detract from it bein one of my standout memories of bein fouteen or so.its a bit more like the thing than bloody "maneater , or is everyone gonna sit on the fence an say "i cant go for that"?whistling.gif

Social source share

Hi Rich,

I'm good thanks.

I thought it was a well written article.

But I'm fascinated by information like that.

The connections between groups / studios and how the music evolved.

A cunning plan, extend your birthday celebrations so they run for 2 weeks.wicked.gif

But then you could need 2 weeks recovery time.biggrin.gif

Pass on my regards to Winny when you see him next.

Hope to see you both before the next Wolverhampton.

Take it easy.

Best

Tabs

Nice spot Tabs, hope you are well mate, yeah, a cracking little read and clears up a little debate that is opening up here!

Love those pics of them with The Temptations. Still hoping that the next Wolverhampton will not clash with my birthday do, mind you, took me and Winny a week to recover from the last one - seriously!

Hope to see you then, mate, all the bestthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert