• Replies 55
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest kevnewry

Nearly Kev, now please stay on topic biggrin.gif

I WAS THINKING OF SOMETHING ELSE AT THE TIME IN QUESTION..innocent.gif ........ MAJOR LANCE.. BRENDA HOLLOWAY

Social source share

Guest kevnewry

Oh MIKE Terry l thought that you said 'Helen Terry!'.....yeah now l know who you mean....

MAJOR LANCE then!? thumbsup.gif

WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS BEHIND PHILIPlaugh.gif

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Terry Callier !!!

With one good record and one half decent one ???

Are we talking quality or quantity ? or both ?

Edited by Awake 502
Social source share

Guest kevnewry

Terry Callier !!!

THINK YOU'LL FIND MY FRIEND THAT MR CALLIER. WROTE, PRODUCED, AND HAD A HAND IN AN AWFUL LOT AS WELL AS RECORDING 1 AND A HALF RECORDS AS YOU PUT IT.........thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Oh I thought it was about which artist had the most / greatest recordings played. If we are talking writing and producing then surely the Pied Piper Team are the real heroes.....

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

no this should be based on artists who have recorded and done most or great Northern soul tracks not work if you only recorded 1 or 2 but needs to be a good amount and there for

Jackie Wilson for Male and

Ruby Andrews for female

Social source share

Ermmm......Let me see now :thumbup::lol:

EDWIN STARR!! :):hatsoff2:

According to Arthur Conley in " Sweet Soul Music " , it was James Brown .

" Spotlight on James Brown now , He's the king of them all , yeah , He's the king of them all , yeah , Oh yeah , oh yeah "

My vote goes to Sam Cooke .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Why Sam Cooke though he was and still is the best soul singer but his Northern soul ouput is limited to Sugar dumpling (always makes some people mad) and only other i can think of is Soothe me and Somebody Have Mercy

we are not talking king and queen of soul music

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Terry Callier !!!

As a strictly 'Northern' Soul artist I agree his output is limited but as a Soul and Jazz artist outside the blinkered confines of the 'Northern' tag the man is a musical master.

My nomination for greatest male Soul artist who fits comfortably within the Northern genre is Jackie Wilson. Both his 6ts and 7ts output is beyond comparison.

Social source share

Ermmm......Let me see now :chinstroke::chinstroke:

EDWIN STARR!! :thumbup::yes:

major lance, roy hamilton, marvin jones( jack montgomery)....LETS PUT THIS INTO PERSPECTIVE....THEY HAVE A REPETOIRE OF SONGS THAT, FORTUNATELY DUE TO US HAVE BEEN TAGGED, IN THE MAIN WITH THE "NORTHERN SOUL MONIKER"....IT JUST SO HAPPENS CERTAIN TRACKS HAVE THE RIGHT APPEAL FOR THE DANCEFLOOR...and of course there's curtis, marvin and jackie wilson.

rob.h

Social source share

Guest Brett F

For me there is no other female singer who has that incredible and overwhelming ability to crash my senses in a manner akin to being hit with a drop forged steel 'Sumo Traditional' 24" wrecking bar…and that incredible and dynamic woman is Linda Jones.

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

For me there is no other female singer who has that incredible and overwhelming ability to crash my senses in a manner akin to being hit with a drop forged steel 'Sumo Traditional' 24" wrecking bar...and that incredible and dynamic woman is Linda Jones.

Love Ms Jones, but for output and accessability I would have thought that

Martha Reeves

and

Gladys Knight,

would have to be near the top?

With Gladys just shading it for me.

Regards

Tony

Edited by tonyp
Social source share

Martha Reeves

and

Gladys Knight,

Regards

Tony

Blimey Tony. Martha Reeves (imo) is'nt even in the same league as Gladys Knight. at her best, MR is mediocre i've always thought, but GK is absolutely faultless, live or studio. anyway i'm off topic now, this is another debate :thumbup: IAN

p.s. Female stalwarts of the Scene ?? ermmmm , for the number of tunes played, i'd say Linda jones too. who incidently is a remarkable singer i personally think. good.gif

Social source share

Martha Reeves

and

Gladys Knight,

Regards

Tony

Not wanting to play "devil's advocate" here but both Martha & Gladys both achieved fame & success on a global scale whereas my choice (Lorraine Chandler) only has her popularity exclusively on the Northern Soul scene.

What Can I Do

I Can't Hold On

Tell Me Your Mine

I Can't Change

You Only Live Twice

She Don't Want You

Mend The Torn Pieces Of My Heart

are all "exclusive" hits for the Northern scene & that is not forgetting her work with The O'Jays, Freddie Butler, The Hesitations, The Metro's, Sharon Scott & of course co-writing Eddie Parker's monster tunes "Love You Baby" & "I'm Gone"

The lady truly sits proud on the "Northern Soul throne" IMHO.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

TERRY CALLIERthumbsup.gif

Funny coincidence - just 10 minutes ago I received the 2010 update for the Ace catalogue.

Some nice stuff as usual inc:

The Terry Callier Story - About Time - 1965-1982. (The first overview of the opening chapters of Terry Callier's musical career. One of the finest voices on his finest tracks)

MB

Social source share

Guest kevnewry

For me there is no other female singer who has that incredible and overwhelming ability to crash my senses in a manner akin to being hit with a drop forged steel 'Sumo Traditional' 24" wrecking bar...and that incredible and dynamic woman is Linda Jones.

Quite Agree:yes: ............. Also she wont bring you truffles you've got truffles of your own:tongue:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert