Tony Clarke - Landslide - Chess - Question About This One

Pete S

Not convinced Stereo was such a new craze in '67. Westrex (WS) pioneered (I think) the Mercury System (MS) in 1958.

I'd hazard a guess that the clue is in the fact that it has a CK mark in the run-out groove. Which to me would mean that it had more to do with the CHECKER process (pressing plant, etc). His previous release, "The Entertainer" had been a major hit on the Billboard chart and Chess/Checker/Cadet could have assumed that Landslide would do the same. Therefore, having the track mastered/plated and pressed up North, down South, East Coast and West.

Wouldn't surprise me if there where other run-out variations that have a similar look and feel. Depending on how many they binned.!!

[Removes Grandfathers anorak] :laugh:

No it wasn't new but it wasn't popular and widespread until the end of the decade, for singles I mean.

Social source share

No it wasn't new but it wasn't popular and widespread until the end of the decade, for singles I mean.

No, I wouldn't disagree with that. Was just pointing out that I wouldn't have thought that Stereo was the reason that they would decide to do another run on the mastering/presses. More likely that they thought it would go big beforehand and had multiple runs done nationally. Giving rise to the possibility that it might well be mastered and pressed in Stereo. Assuming of course that the recording was done in Stereo, which it must have been. Checker and Cadet had already released Stereo singles by then.

Of course this could all be b*llocks, but it makes sense to me !! :D

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - work filters
Social source share

Not convinced Stereo was such a new craze in '67. Westrex (WS) pioneered (I think) the Mercury System (MS) in 1958.

I'd hazard a guess that the clue is in the fact that it has a CK mark in the run-out groove. Which to me would mean that it had more to do with the CHECKER process (pressing plant, etc). His previous release, "The Entertainer" had been a major hit on the Billboard chart and Chess/Checker/Cadet could have assumed that Landslide would do the same. Therefore, having the track mastered/plated and pressed up North, down South, East Coast and West.

Wouldn't surprise me if there where other run-out variations that have a similar look and feel. Depending on how many they binned.!!

[Removes Grandfathers anorak] :laugh:

Stereo 45's would've been fairly new tho wouldn't they? :unsure: Is it right that Berry Gordy didn't release a stereo 45 till aug 1968 with Bobby Taylor's "Malinda"?

steve

Social source share

Actually I think the answer's fairly simple. It's a legitimate re-press by Chess from the early 70's ('73 ish) and it was re-mastered in stereo along with the normal practises of the time. Chess were still a going concern at this point and would have probably happily taken an order for a few thousand from the UK. This also makes sense since it was on Soulbowl's list for £1 at the time and stocked around the country at most places for 75p-£1 on a brand new 'old' Chess label. I remember us talking about it at the time and saying how could such a great record lay undiscovered until the 70's and then thousands turn up! The re-presses were good enough to fool anybody which makes sense 'cos they'd have used old label stock on the re-press.

Chess was one of the more 'connected' labels with the U.K. - don't forget that they had a million-selling No.1 record at the end of 1972 with Chuck Berry's "My Ding-A-Ling" which was actually recorded in England, in Coventry no less, so this was a company that knew what was going on in the UK.

The UK issue followed the U.S. repress the following year in '74, so they effectively creamed it twice!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Actually I think the answer's fairly simple. It's a legitimate re-press by Chess from the early 70's ('73 ish) and it was re-mastered in stereo along with the normal practises of the time. Chess were still a going concern at this point and would have probably happily taken an order for a few thousand from the UK. This also makes sense since it was on Soulbowl's list for £1 at the time and stocked around the country at most places for 75p-£1 on a brand new 'old' Chess label. I remember us talking about it at the time and saying how could such a great record lay undiscovered until the 70's and then thousands turn up! The re-presses were good enough to fool anybody which makes sense 'cos they'd have used old label stock on the re-press.

Chess was one of the more 'connected' labels with the U.K. - don't forget that they had a million-selling No.1 record at the end of 1972 with Chuck Berry's "My Ding-A-Ling" which was actually recorded in England, in Coventry no less, so this was a company that knew what was going on in the UK.

The UK issue followed the U.S. repress the following year in '74, so they effectively creamed it twice!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Well done Ian, great work, another mystery put to bed.

Apart from one thing; where's all the copies???

Social source share

Ian D biggrin.gif

I agree as i replied earlier never thought my copy was a original , bought it from local record shop .

Social source share

LOL, I guess they're tucked away in a couple of thousand collections Pete. It immediately got devalued as an original when it appeared on Soulbowl for a quid (or was it 75p) in the early 70's - I'm sure someone has a copy of the Soulbowl lists from that time to confirm, but I'm pretty sure any of the oldies on here will confirm that it was a 75p record from '73-'76 at least, so yes, there are 1000's out there but like many of the records from that era they're probably in the garage, up in the loft or it's just simply one of those records that it's not worth anyone getting rid of.......

Also looking at those scans that Roger put up earlier in the thread, it seems to me that the 'real' original is the lighter blue on the left and the 70's repress is the one the right. Anyone concurr?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Cheers Roger...run off details on this one are:

CK 1979 A

then what looks like SW if looking from the label outwards, the W joins the S to make it look like it's saying STU!

After reading this thread I had a feeling that I also had a stereo copy. So after searching through boxes of 45's I finally found it and my suspicions were correct. I have a stereo copy with the same run off details as yours Pete. Can't remember where I got it from as have had it for years. Label looks and feels similar to other Chess records I have. Surprised if it is a re-issue that it ain't been spotted until now. Not saying it isn't a re-issue but it would be good to definitely know.

Social source share

After reading this thread I had a feeling that I also had a stereo copy. So after searching through boxes of 45's I finally found it and my suspicions were correct. I have a stereo copy with the same run off details as yours Pete. Can't remember where I got it from as have had it for years. Label looks and feels similar to other Chess records I have. Surprised if it is a re-issue that it ain't been spotted until now. Not saying it isn't a re-issue but it would be good to definitely know.

I wonder if it probably was, but I guess 'Landslide' had slipped out of vogue after the mid 70's & so it wouldn't have made many ripples.

Back to the similarity with the Soulful Strings 45...i'm almost certain that was documented similar to how Ian D explains in an earlier JM guide (pos 2 ago), but there is nothing in the present one or the boot guide either.

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

I wonder if it probably was, but I guess 'Landslide' had slipped out of vogue after the mid 70's & so it wouldn't have made many ripples.

Back to the similarity with the Soulful Strings 45...i'm almost certain that was documented similar to how Ian D explains in an earlier JM guide (pos 2 ago), but there is nothing in the present one or the boot guide either.

I think you are most likely correct, unfortunately I'm too young to remember the 70's. Anyone who was around back then remember anything about this? After scratching my head I think I may have got my copy from a local shop in the late 80's, which makes me more suspicious that it isn't an original. If there are loads of them out there then that would make sense that its a re-issue. So are there loads out there? Surprised the boot guide doesn't have anything on it.

Edited by Dezzie Boy
Social source share

LOL, I guess they're tucked away in a couple of thousand collections Pete. It immediately got devalued as an original when it appeared on Soulbowl for a quid (or was it 75p) in the early 70's - I'm sure someone has a copy of the Soulbowl lists from that time to confirm, but I'm pretty sure any of the oldies on here will confirm that it was a 75p record from '73-'76 at least, so yes, there are 1000's out there but like many of the records from that era they're probably in the garage, up in the loft or it's just simply one of those records that it's not worth anyone getting rid of.......

Also looking at those scans that Roger put up earlier in the thread, it seems to me that the 'real' original is the lighter blue on the left and the 70's repress is the one the right. Anyone concurr?

Ian D biggrin.gif

No because I'd already mentioned that mine is the same as the one on the left!

Social source share

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted. In which case, back to square one then........namely, how on earth could you have a stereo copy from 1967!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Don't have a camera handy, missus took it darn sarf, but here is a link to the ebay listing where I got it from, that does feature a scan of the actual record

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220549215119&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Social source share

And here it is in case it disappears from eBay:

post-1392-12663142235374_thumb.jpg

As you can see, I won this for £11, I generally sell it for £25/£30, I had someone offer me some records last week and when I told him what I sell it for he basically called me a liar and 'knew' that it was £75 on 'top' dealers sites. :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Don't have a camera handy, missus took it darn sarf, but here is a link to the ebay listing where I got it from, that does feature a scan of the actual record

https://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

That looks to me just like the Repress that was knocking about around 73/74 Pete.

I picked mine up for about 0.75p back then from my local record shop.

Don't know if its Stereo though, but I'd imagine it is.

:P

Sean

Social source share

Cheers Roger...run off details on this one are:

CK 1979 A

then what looks like SW if looking from the label outwards, the W joins the S to make it look like it's saying STU!

And here it is in case it disappears from eBay:

post-1392-12663142235374_thumb.jpg

post-1392-12663142235374.jpg

Chess_1979.gifChess_1979_.gif

Just posted again for easier comparison against Petes copy.

My copies are BOTH Vinyl

TM1769 (With a strange @ type matrix mark scratched in)

14784 MW

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

That's the repress by the looks of it.

Ian D biggrin.gif

The only difference with the image in the eBay auction and the one Roger posted is that the latter has slightly thicker letters. The blue background seems a bit deeper, yet the credits/catalog number are a bit thinner...

To my eyes, anyway.

Edited by Dante
Social source share

So, is Roger's left-hand scan a repress because it's identical to that one!

If I'd seen Rogers (Left Hand side one) in a Sales Box I'd have immediately thought it was the early 70's Repress, Pete.

You're right, they do look very similar.

Roger, can you recall, did the Left Hand side one come from Boylans?

Sean

Social source share

So, is Roger's left-hand scan a repress because it's identical to that one!

Well it's gotta be if it's stereo hasn't it?

It's a moot point really 'cos it seems it's virtually impossible to tell the repress from the original unless you're holding 'em in your hands and even then it would be a challenge I reckon.....

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Right, so what we are saying now is, that all of the lighter blue ones are represses - yes?

Well, in Alan's post the mono copy looks lighter thant the stereo copy.

Social source share

If I'd seen Rogers (Left Hand side one) in a Sales Box I'd have immediately thought it was the early 70's Repress, Pete.

You're right, they do look very similar.

Roger, can you recall, did the Left Hand side one come from Boylans?

Sean

Hi Sean

One was Indeed from Boylans & The Other from Soul Bowl.

Just trying to remember which.

Social source share

I've made it slightly big just in case you can read the deadwax markings

post-1893-12663230692095_thumb.jpg

Yup, that looks way lighter.

But we must asume this could've happened to other pics/scans. So there's no definitive answer with such little differnece, I'm afraid.

Social source share

Right, so what we are saying now is, that all of the lighter blue ones are represses - yes?

I have been checking other releases in my collection.

Here's a STYRENE Light Blue from a second hand shop in the 70's, so Origin before that (Unsure)

Chess_1966a.jpgChess_1966b.jpg

The thing is it has a ZTSC121449 / ZTSC121450 but scratched out ZTSC121449 / ZTSC121450 in the Deadwax.

Just wondering if the ZTSC number Could be Identified as a Date.

Chess_1966B_600.jpg

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Hi Sean

One was Indeed from Boylans & The Other from Soul Bowl.

Just trying to remember which.

I'd have put money on the left hand side one being from Boylans, Roger and the Right Hand side one coming from Soul Bowl.

My copy came from Boylans too, Identical to the one on the left.

Good to see you back mate.

Sean

Social source share

Thanks Sebastian.

Not sure why this ZTSC number crossed out,

or whether it appears with earlier Chess Label for this release.

Yeh, the Billy Stewart was pressed on the earlier black label.... https://cgi.ebay.co.u...44708031&_rdc=1

Edit: Looks as though it's etched in though on that photo (having looked again).

So we have established that Pete's Tony Clarke is a 1st Reissue Stereo Original Boot then laugh.gif

Great this here Northern Soul record collecting innit?

Edited by Blunny
Social source share

Guest POTTERIESPECK

Have a word with Mick Smith, almost sure it was one of his discoveries Pete.He may have some info on it. The intro to this is second to none.

Social source share

Yeh, the Billy Stewart was pressed on the earlier black label.... https://cgi.ebay.co.u...44708031&_rdc=1

So we have established that Pete's Tony Clarke is a 1st Reissue Stereo Original Boot then laugh.gif

Great this here Northern Soul record collecting innit?

Just wondering if any have ZTSC Stamp & the earlier black label.

(I'm expecting there to be, or else what is a ZTSC (Dated 1966) Doing on a Light Blue Chess.

My copy of Chess 1966 Summertime has the Light Blue Label & Styrene, which is thought to be 70's.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Petes copy is also Styrene

(Edited, Petes Copy is Vinyl) :P

I'm trying to establish the Date for Petes copy

by Looking at other releases on the Chess Label.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Tangent: Is there a red/yellow label release for 'Landslide'?

I was offered a decent bunch of early Chess/Checker 45's this past weekend, and x10 were on the lovely looking red/yellow label design (mostly West Coast)...artists included Jan Bradley, Billy Stewart, Tony Clarke, Mitty Collier, Corsairs, Roosevelt Nettles, Eddie Bo...dead nice looking...plus there were some other earlier releases up for grabs from Harvey, Vibrations, Billy Miranda and Chuck Berry etc...I nice little collection! (If anyone is interested drop me a PM as they may still be available.)

Social source share

I was offered a decent bunch of early Chess/Checker 45's this past weekend, and x10 were on the lovely looking red/yellow label design (mostly West Coast)...artists included Jan Bradley, Billy Stewart, Tony Clarke, Mitty Collier, Corsairs, Roosevelt Nettles, Eddie Bo...dead nice looking...plus there were some other earlier releases up for grabs from Harvey, Vibrations, Billy Miranda and Chuck Berry etc...I nice little collection! (If anyone is interested drop me a PM as they may still be available.)

That's a point

Thinking about the White DEMO for "Landslide"

Does that mean an Earlier Stock Copy also Exists with either Design below.

Chess_1903a_V.jpgChess_1903a_WC.jpg

Or were the Blue Stock Copies & White DEMO caught up in a period of Design Change, and released around the same time.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

whistling.gif

I have Tony Clarke's "The Entertainer" on Red/Yellow, Dave, but don't believe Landslide ever appeared on that logostyle.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

I was reading up on the Chess story earlier & LP's wise it appears to indicate that there were no stereo issues before 66 ! Wasn't Landslide a 65 release? which I would say is a good bit of evidence for us who think it's a re-issue ?

Social source share

I was reading up on the Chess story earlier & LP's wise it appears to indicate that there were no stereo issues before 66 ! Wasn't Landslide a 65 release? which I would say is a good bit of evidence for us who think it's a re-issue ?

No it's from 1967 mate. Honest.

Social source share

No it's from 1967 mate. Honest.

Then may I retract my evidence M'lord? :thumbsup:

It's down as 65 in the discography I was reading...but thinking about it the numbers don't follow.

I was looking through my Little Milton 45's on Checker earlier too & there are at least 3 from around 67 that were recorded in 'Concept 12' which were deemed playable on mono or stereo...so they were experementing around that time I guess yes.gif

I still reckon it's a re-issue though :P

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!