Amazing Uk Tamla Motown Collector

as a few of you might know im a uk tamla motown demo collector,got around 170 red & white and green and white demos, met a guy off the music stack website who lives not far from me in brum . rang him up last week and he invited me over tonight to trade/buy sell, anyway got to the guys house had a chat and a cuppa. then he took me into his garage which was stacked to the ceiling with vinyl,to say the least i was gobsmacked but spotted a box with some orange motown sleeves on picking the first few out of the box i found red&white demos of brenda holloway operator,stevie wonder nothings to good for my baby,earl van dyke all for your,tammi terrell come on and see me and lots more.

i couldnt explain what was going through my head,but he picked up a large blue dj double row dj box labled tmg 501 to tmg 700 and proceded to the kitchen where he let me looked through more r&w demos,kim weston helpless 2 copys tammi terrell 1 more demos earl van dyke 2 more demos the hit pack 2 demos, babara mcnair 1 demo but 3 issues ! and the list is endless he had multiple copys of all the 500 series issues and demos.

he told me he caught a burgler a couple of months ago who obviously knew nothing about records. turns out i spent close on a grand tonight, and im a decorator by trade and hes asked me to come and paint his hall and stairs in a couple of weeks and he will sort a key out for me as hes at work, and then told me i was welcome to sift through the boxs in the garage:ph34r: .

hes such a nice guy dont think i could bring myself to be left alone with all these gems i would estimate alone theres got to be over 60/70 grands worth in that blue box alone. then again i could never bring myself to do anythind dishonest

Edited by sheldonsoul
Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest JIM BARRY

as a few of you might know im a uk tamla motown demo collector,got around 170 red & white and green and white demos, met a guy off the music stack website who lives not far from me in brum . rang him up last week and he invited me over tonight to trade/buy sell, anyway got to the guys house in new oscott brum had a chat and a cuppa. then he took me into his garage which was stacked to the ceiling with vinyl,to say the least i was gobsmacked but spotted a box with some orange motown sleeves on picking the first few out of the box i found red&white demos of brenda holloway operator,stevie wonder nothings to good for my baby,earl van dyke all for your,tammi terrell come on and see me and lots more.

i couldnt explain what was going through my head,but he picked up a large blue dj double row dj box labled tmg 501 to tmg 700 and proceded to the kitchen where he let me looked through more r&w demos,kim weston helpless 2 copys tammi terrell 1 more demos earl van dyke 2 more demos the hit pack 2 demos, babara mcnair 1 demo but 3 issues ! and the list is endless he had multiple copys of all the 500 series issues and demos.

he told me he caught a burgler a couple of months ago who obviously knew nothing about records,the guys got 5 cats so cant leave his house alarm on cos they keep setting it off during the day. turns out i spent close on a grand tonight, and im a decorator by trade and hes asked me to come and paint his hall and stairs in a couple of weeks and he will sort a key out for me as hes at work, and then told me i was welcome to sift through the boxs in the garageph34r.gif .

hes such a nice guy dont think i could bring myself to be left alone with all these gems i would estimate alone theres got to be over 60/70 grands worth in that blue box alone. then again i could never bring myself to do anythind dishonest

thats amazing, did he tell you why he had so many multiples,? i'v had them all at one time or another,and im' a decorator self employed too!!!!!

Social source share

thats amazing, did he tell you why he had so many multiples,? i'v had them all at one time or another,and im' a decorator self employed too!!!!!

said he was a collector obviously, but had bought up other peoples collections over the years, and has amassed around 7500 uk motown items alone. oh and his other passion is steam trains lolno.gif . best part of it he dont know half of what hes got but seems to know what the prices are though

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

said he was a collector obviously, but had bought up other peoples collections over the years, and has amassed around 7500 uk motown items alone. oh and his other passion is steam trains lolno.gif . best part of it he dont know half of what hes got but seems to know what the prices are though

DO YOU NEED A LIFT ON HIS HALL AND STAIRS?rolleyes.gif

Social source share

as a few of you might know im a uk tamla motown demo collector,got around 170 red & white and green and white demos, met a guy off the music stack website who lives not far from me in brum . rang him up last week and he invited me over tonight to trade/buy sell, anyway got to the guys house in new oscott brum had a chat and a cuppa. then he took me into his garage which was stacked to the ceiling with vinyl,to say the least i was gobsmacked but spotted a box with some orange motown sleeves on picking the first few out of the box i found red&white demos of brenda holloway operator,stevie wonder nothings to good for my baby,earl van dyke all for your,tammi terrell come on and see me and lots more.

he told me he caught a burgler a couple of months ago who obviously knew nothing about records,the guys got 5 cats so cant leave his house alarm on cos they keep setting it off during the day. turns out i spent close on a grand tonight, and im a decorator by trade and hes asked me to come and paint his hall and stairs in a couple of weeks and he will sort a key out for me as hes at work, and then told me i was welcome to sift through the boxs in the garageph34r.gif .

fascinating :lol:

Social source share

Is he called Jeff?

Phil

Social source share

what a wonderful story!! amazing!!

i have been told of a guy in willenhall, a bit of a recluse now, but when he was a young man

he used to buy all the soul he could lay his hands on and also all top ten chart entries!!

apparently the whole house apart from the kitchen and his bedroom are just full of records!!

now for the laugh!! he won't even open the front door unless you are one of his family!!

max...

Social source share

What's his fkin address????

:lol:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

What's his fkin address????

biggrin.gif

Yeah, I'd like the address as well please. If not then just the postcode 'll do, thanks.

burglar.jpg

Social source share

I recently had my hall, stairs & landing decorated by an out of work gynaecologist - he did it all from outside, through the letterbox.

Seriously though, this guy bought that Barbara McNair demo from me around 1979, it is stone mint. I always remember because it was by auction that ended at 8pm. He rang me several times, kept me talking over the deadline. He paid £40, quite a high price back then.

Social source share

said he was a collector obviously, but had bought up other peoples collections over the years, and has amassed around 7500 uk motown items alone. oh and his other passion is steam trains lol:no: . best part of it he dont know half of what hes got but seems to know what the prices are though

-Pete There are 2 people like this not 15 miles from here. They won't sell anything=just keep hoarding stuff away:ohmy: Both collect UK, nothing to do with "The scene" though both aware of "Northern Soul".

Really just "Train Spotters" -number takers (One has never married, lives with his Mother and is an accountant) The other been divorced years (25+) and I think this sort of collecting becomes obsessive! Between them the value of the records must be £1,000,000-

Neither will sell anything-one has 2 Darell Banks DJs on London

Nice to see them all together and look through though !

Rob

-by the way if your mate would like a ride on the train...in exchange for a few spares...............:laugh:

Edited by Karen and Rob Wigley
Social source share

-Pete There are 2 people like this not 15 miles from here. They won't sell anything=just keep hoarding stuff away:ohmy: Both collect UK, nothing to do with "The scene" though both aware of "Northern Soul".

Really just "Train Spotters" -number takers (One has never married, lives with his Mother and is an accountant) The other been divorced years (25+) and I think this sort of collecting becomes obsessive! Between them the value of the records must be £1,000,000-

Neither will sell anything-one has 2 Darell Banks DJs on London

Nice to see them all together and look through though !

Rob

-by the way if your mate would like a ride on the train...in exchange for a few spares...............:laugh:

your right rob i think he thinks by having so many copys of each demo will make it even rarer, icame away with an earl van dyke all for you,vandellas nowhere to run,temps its growing and a couple of others all demos.got the earl van dyke for £170 which i thought was really decent considering its one of the rarer ones

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

sounds like a great collection but can i say i hate anyone who has more then 1 copy of a record because they are just greedy pigs

in my case i like to buy a record and not again, i could have the song on CD so saves playing the record unless dj-ing

Social source share

sounds like a great collection but can i say i hate anyone who has more then 1 copy of a record because they are just greedy pigs

in my case i like to buy a record and not again, i could have the song on CD so saves playing the record unless dj-ing

so if you saw say 2 mel britt demos for sale in a bargin box for 50p each you would leave one there then would you ?

Social source share

I sold my Four tops - its the same old song R/W demo for a fiver to Pete Brown, in 1979 i think laugh.gifhuh.gif . i also sold a supremes R/W for £20 to Neil O. thats about my lot when it comes to Motown Demo's.

anyway, sounds a cool place for a browse thumbsup.gif

a real paradise for motown collectorsthumbup.gif

Social source share

I remember going in to lester Mariners record shop in B'ham and seeing a Dennis dell CBS isue or demo cant remember which it was on the wall for £25. i said is that for sale he replied its on hold for a guy, we had 2 copies and he bought one and was going to ask a mate if the wanted the other and would get back to me, i said Lester the blokes a knob ill give you 30 and i walked out with it:yes:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

well to find 2 records the same in a box cheap you know is rare you buy both only to sell one copy on not to keep for yourself. you have to let someone else have a copy. i knew someone who used to collect Monkees records and didn't care she would buy as many copies as she wanted of 1 record to keep mad i know but wouldn't let anyone else have a copy if they wanted it

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert