Tommy Tate

Guest Dave Turner

Tommy Tate

What's the story on this, anyone know anymore than what's on Dave Rimmer's site

Ko Ko 726 - If You Got To Love Somebody / Do You Think There's A Chance - 1977 (promo issue only - only two copies known to exist - it has been reported that this is a one-sided disc does anyone know for certain, or is it as rumoured the flip side being "Do You Think There's A Chance" - Officially Koko 726 is the 1977 twelve inch release by Luther Ingram "I Like The Feeling / I'm Gonna Be The Best Thing")

Tommy Tate - If You Got To Love Somebody

Social source share

One of the greatest soul singers EVER!!!

Dave Thorley has been in touch with and seen Tommy recently in hospital or care home after his stroke.

Bit of a bio from wikipedia...

Tommy Tate (b. September 29, 1944, in Homestead, FL USA) is a singer, drummer, and songwriter

Florida born, Mississippi raised Tommy Tate has been called "America's best kept secret" and "The greatest singer you've never heard". An almost cult like figure in Deep and Southern Soul circles, Tate started drumming and singing in small clubs in the Jackson, MS area.

Tate's break came when he joined the state's most popular band at the time, Tim Whitsett and The Imperial Show Band, an all White band that played Universities in the Southeastern United States and with several records released on major labels under their belt. After Tate joined up, the band successfully toured the United States and Canada.

In the 1960s, many records were pirated overseas unbeknownst to the artist. This was the case with several of Tim Whitsett's records. "Northern Soul" circles in Northern Britain specialized in discovering and playing rare soul records. Whitsett's records are now high priced collectables, and of course some feature Tate, including "The Whole World Is The Same" (Musicor 1340), and the group's only cover released on record "Stand By Me" (Big Ten 1003).

Tate also recorded singles for Verve as "Tommy Yates" and for Atco as "Andy Chapman". Tate thought the latter was intended to be a demo and was unaware of the release.

In 1970, after the breakup of the band, Whitsett and Tate signed on as songwriters at Stax Records, and Tate roomed with legendary songsmith Mack Rice who suggested Tate as new lead singer of The NightingalesOllie Hoskins had left the group. The company issued two singles on the Tate led Nightingales. as

Also during this, Tate was one of only two artists signed to Koko Records, which was distributed by Stax. Although he made the top 30 on the R&B charts with "School of Life" (Koko 2112), he became "the forgotten man" when label mate Luther Ingram scored big with "If Loving You Is Wrong (I Don't Wanna Be Right)". Tate's signing with Koko would prove to be disastrous as label head Johnny Baylor would have a virtual stranglehold on Tate's career for years to come.

Tate; however, did find a lot of success in the 1980s as one of the most productive songwriters for the Jackson based Malaco Records. Even legends Johnnie Taylor and Tate hero Bobby "Blue" Bland would copy Tate's phrasing and style on his songs including Taylor's "Everything's Out in the Open" and Bland's "Midnight Run" and "Get Your Money Where You Spend Your Time". Luther Ingram, Otis Clay, and Malaco Records' Little Milton have each recorded several Tommy Tate compositions.

He had two CDs issued exclusively in Japan in 1992 and 1996. These were preceded by the Tim Whitsett produced Love Me Now on Whitsett's Urgent! Records in 1990, Tate's only American album release. The set included songs from the pens of Carson Whitsett (four, including one co-written with former Stax artist Frederick Knight), "Sir" Mack Rice, and a cover of William Bell's "I Forgot to Be Your Lover", and received steady air play in the South.

In 2005, Grapevine released a CD entitled Troubled Waters: Deep Soul from the Deep South. Two of the disc's highlights were Tim Whitsett's "Get It Over Anyway" and the Tate and Carson Whitsett collaboration "Hold On" (later recorded by James Carr) both performed by Tommy Tate.

After being initially released in Japan, Soulscape Records put out worldwide Hold On: The Jackson Sessions Rare and Unreleased which featured Tate in his prime, mostly backed by The Imperial Show Band.

Tate, having suffered a stroke, is no longer active.

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Superb artist----to me his best work is the L.P. TRACK---"I JUST DON,T KNOW" which i hadn,t heard till about a year ago---it,s up there with I.Y.G.T.L.S and all his others---his great voice at it,s best(ask Ian Dewhirst-i put it on a c.d. and he raved as well!!!)

Good choice as artist of the week!!

T.C.

Social source share

I have one of the KoKo 726s. Great stuff and a totally different mix to that which has appeared on CDs / Grapevine etc.

He is a superb artist, let's not forget Tommy & The Derbys and also his excellent ABC double sider which is more 60s soul than northern soul, and is excellent (rare as hens teeth though).

in fact there are very few duffers in his repetoire now that I think about it.

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Definitely one of my favourite singers.

Don't forget the other Okeh single, Big Blue Diamonds coupled with A Lover's Reward, which also came out on Columbia in the UK.

Then there is the Tommy Yates single on Verve, which exists as a light blue demo, plus blue and black label issues.

The Andy Chapman 45 on Atco features one side of Tommy singing Happy Is The Man. The other side is apparently blue-eyed Memphis singer Ben Atkins, but Happy sounds like it was cut at the same session as the Verve record.

I have never heard his Musicor single (as The Imperial Showband with Tommy Tate) and wonder if anyone can post up a soundfile.

Tommy's Japanese Malaco collection Hold On is one of my favourite albums of all time: truly wonderful and individual singer-songwriter soul music of the very highest quality from the golden age.

Social source share

"I'm Taking on pain" for me.Wrote to TT at his care home address (re:Dave Thorley).Unfortunatley didn't get a reply.Probably to ill to respond.sad.gif

Although he is able to hold conversation, it is a struggle for him. Chances of him being able to write are very limited, even being able to dictate to someone else I think would be a push. But I did speak to one of the carers at the home and the letters that he got from people here did lift his spirits. His family also are greatful to everyone that wrote.

I still hope to get back to see him before the end of the year. The collection that was put together by Andy D is still safe and I will make sure that it gets directly to him and the family. I hoped to do it at the end of last year, but personal pressures stopped that.

Dave

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

cheap as chips too Dave, doesn't get any better does it thumbsup.gif

tommy tate - school of life -

I know this is a Tommy Tate thread but for anyone who hasn't heard it Cicero Blake - School of Life on Paula is well worth a listen as well.

Social source share

Definitely one of my favourite singers.

I have never heard his Musicor single (as The Imperial Showband with Tommy Tate) and wonder if anyone can post up a soundfile.

Hi Gareth, Ive got this one as well, it is one of the few not so good ones.

Oh yeah and "School of Life" stone cold classic.

Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Here are scans of the Musicor 45:

And i still love "WHAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT" [sundance] from the mid 80`s..............Now THATS Brilliant ! Sad to hear of Tommy`s Condition.............A Great Singer indeed,

Best, Ivor

Social source share

Any chance of posting the ABC 45, Steve?

If I knew how to do it :yes:

I'm still trying to upload some pics and an article on Patti Jo.

As I am in a rebellious mood since I went to Barcelona, if you don;'t hear it before I'll play one side at Soulgate.

Steve

Social source share

If I knew how to do it :yes:

I'm still trying to upload some pics and an article on Patti Jo.

As I am in a rebellious mood since I went to Barcelona, if you don;'t hear it before I'll play one side at Soulgate.

Steve

both sides great, similar in style. Only know of the two copies, over this side of the pond anyway. Love the "it didn't sell well" (or summat like) in the sleeve notes of the Kent cd :lol:

Social source share

both sides great, similar in style. Only know of the two copies, over this side of the pond anyway. Love the "it didn't sell well" (or summat like) in the sleeve notes of the Kent cd :lol:

Yes indeed I liked that comment too.....

Oh and we mustn't forget Tommy & Derbys either. :yes:

Social source share

Guest Ian Spittle

What's the story on this, anyone know anymore than what's on Dave Rimmer's site

Ko Ko 726 - If You Got To Love Somebody / Do You Think There's A Chance - 1977 (promo issue only - only two copies known to exist - it has been reported that this is a one-sided disc does anyone know for certain, or is it as rumoured the flip side being "Do You Think There's A Chance" - Officially Koko 726 is the 1977 twelve inch release by Luther Ingram "I Like The Feeling / I'm Gonna Be The Best Thing")

Tommy Tate - If You Got To Love Somebody

Not sure if you're aware, but it was myself that found the 1st copy of this from a guy in the states who picked up 2 copies from a local garage sale at a house. It cost me the pricely sum of $4 I think!! Sold the copy about a year after finding it and not sure where it is now. I believe that the record collector in the states (Bill McGettigan) still has the 2nd copy for sale at some ridiculously high price

The disc has If You Got To Love Somebody on both sides (no difference whatsoever). It's different sounding to the copy that was produced from the masters and I put a soundfile of it up on here many years ago I think (although I still have it on my pc).

Hope that info helps you.

Ian

Social source share

Not sure if you're aware, but it was myself that found the 1st copy of this from a guy in the states who picked up 2 copies from a local garage sale at a house. It cost me the pricely sum of $4 I think!! Sold the copy about a year after finding it and not sure where it is now. I believe that the record collector in the states (Bill McGettigan) still has the 2nd copy for sale at some ridiculously high price

The disc has If You Got To Love Somebody on both sides (no difference whatsoever). It's different sounding to the copy that was produced from the masters and I put a soundfile of it up on here many years ago I think (although I still have it on my pc).

Ian

I got your old copy Ian. I think they came from a sound engineer who was having a garage sale or so the legend goes. :yes:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Ian

Ian, thanks. Bill McGettigan's site is where I got the scan from

https://www.45-rpm.com/features2/features2.htm

Is the copy you sold the same one on Popsike listed in 2006?

https://www.popsike.com/Ultra-Rare-Tommy-Tate-KoKo-726-Promo/4822591409.html

Social source share

Guest Ian Spittle

I got your old copy Ian. I think they came from a sound engineer who was having a garage sale or so the legend goes. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for letting me know Steve and nice to know its in the hands of someone who appreciates it.

I still think it's a fantastic record but needed to be in the hands of a more prominent dj & collector - was never appreciated at my local venues - lol.

Ian.

Social source share

Guest Ian Spittle

Ian, thanks. Bill McGettigan's site is where I got the scan from

https://www.45-rpm.co...2/features2.htm

Is the copy you sold the same one on Popsike listed in 2006?

https://www.popsike.c...4822591409.html

The one listed on Popsike was the 2nd copy held by Bill McGettigan.

I had never noticed that before. I see that it mentioned him selling the first copy to a dj in southern england (myself) in 1999 for $5 (I thought it was $4 but still a bargain - lol).

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

The one listed on Popsike was the 2nd copy held by Bill McGettigan.

I had never noticed that before. I see that it mentioned him selling the first copy to a dj in southern england (myself) in 1999 for $5 (I thought it was $4 but still a bargain - lol).

Hope it was $4 and not $5 mate :laugh:

Social source share

Here's a few more pictures to go with this, the Japanese Malaco album: "Hold on"

post-5094-085555700 1277152992_thumb.jpg

post-5094-002713300 1277153011_thumb.jpg

I've also got that Tommy Yates Verve 45, if I can find it, plus 3 on Sundance, "School of life", "We don't" and maybe some others.

If no one does it first, I'll have a look for them and scan them.

Social source share

Yes in my alltime top 3 infact cant actually think at the moment of a better tune than DPTR. Unfortunatly I had the misfortune to crack the only copy I ever had for sale although It still plays fine and is out there.

Cheers Darren

There's an 'uncracked' copy in South Somerset :D

Social source share

There's an 'uncracked' copy in South Somerset :sweatingbullets:

Theres a cracked copy here in sunny HULL still plays great, absolute gem from the legend himself, apparently now resides in a nursing home after having a stroke, sad, but what a legacy of music he has given us.

Steve

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
1 minute ago, Steve G said:

Not aware of any, but that doesn't mean they haven't, just that I haven't been keeping an eye on it.

me neither as such steve but had the willinghams copy in my hands yesterday and just gave it a little thought as i not heard it in years..as you say tho totally different take to the pvine/ kent  release

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

A truly complete talent, two of his 45's caused me much suffering financially but i had to have them all..... some one did me a c/d of unissued stuff that as far as i'm aware never came out i will look for that. Other than the odd few like  Al Green he takes some beating !

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!