Northern Soul Movie

Oh dear....oh dear......oh dear.

This is the very concerns and fears we all have and this is only the auditions, again as i said Media film types think they know best, think i'm gonna contact them again if this is the case at least get someone like Keb Darge to show these kids a few moves........... Brett get us a pint mate, Dawn where are me spencers????

Mark Bicknell.

link

They never listen Mark do they????? they have the opportunity to do something right for once and totally abuse it..... I have been dancing for a tad few years and still cant get it right like them spins on this England :thumbsup::( hey and Mark give me a couple of hours to iron yer spencers........ :(:yes:

Social source share

• Replies 298
  • Views 25.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

They never listen Mark do they????? they have the opportunity to do something right for once and totally abuse it..... I have been dancing for a tad few years and still  cant get it right like them spins on this England :thumbsup:   :( hey and Mark give me a couple of hours to iron yer spencers........ :(   :yes:

link

Best we sit back and see what happens........lol

Mark bicknell.

Social source share

ta for passing on Wendy

you got a sleepless nights on next week there yeah?

maybe worth someone suggesting to film bunch may be worth dropping in ?

mike

link

Hi Mike,

I did tell them to make sure they came down but I think they have auditions on in the UK. We left flyers for Sleepless Nights there so hopefully a few new faces will turn up, we met some nice kids on the day...

Social source share

Reflecting the scene in my opinion would be to grasp the early 80's when the fair weather Soulies had deserted the so called faith,  because i believe that is when the "Rare Soul" scene found it's true meaning, and perhaps became even more underground than in 1974 ! Iknow this was my first venture into this incredible musical odyssey, but once again...this is all i know, and not the old hat "baggys" etc......I do respect the heritage of the scene, but perhaps because i have worked with guys who attended theTwisted Wheel in 1969 that the advertisers dream of "Northern" leaves me cold.......

Brett

link

Oh, so that's when the "rare soul scene found it's true meaning"......what's this - pseud's corner?

And you think those of us that couldn't attend in the 80s when we were bringing up children are "fair weather soulies"? Well I hadn't thought of it that way, so thanks for sharing your insight :graynone:

I'm surprised there's been so much discussion of how the scene will be represented in the film......nobody but soulies will give a damn, it will be irrelevant to the rest of the audience!

I've copied the following from the best post on this thread:

My two pennorth for what it's worth (very little).

It doesn't really matter, at least as far as I can see, what the film's like.

It could be good, bad, indifferent. Authentic, contrived, truly derivative or not. The music might be correct and of the period or it might not.

It doesn't really matter.

The film is obviously being made in the hope of capturing the imagination of an audience and therefore making (here comes that taboo word) profit.

I am sure that the filmmakers will make every effort to try and capture the "spirit" of the times, but obviously their primary concern will be making a film that has a good story and has good visual impact.

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

I personally dont care how good the film is to be honest. I also can not see it having any kind of impact on our scene whatsoever.

The days of attracting young people onto our scene is over. There will only be an handful here and there but nothing of any serious quantities regardless of the popularity of this proposed film.

You also have to remember that Northern Soul will only be a backdrop (pun not intended) to a regular story. The general public will rate the film based on the overall story and the soul scene will rip it apart at the first opportunity.

I can also understand why they are looking for 18 year olds. Steven Spielberg didnt cast war veterans in Shaving Ryans Privates did he? :thumbsup::(

You also have to remember 'Hollywood never lets the truth get in the way of a good story' :(

Shane

Social source share

Dito Jock.....lol

Mark Bicknell.

link

The production company are well tapped into knowledgeable folk from the scene. They are using one of our venues, that's as much as I can say. I am sure they have approached others too.

The movie contains 2 major stars and can only enhance the words Northern Soul.

Remember I was one of the DJ's that endured cameras on a fairly regular basis at Wigan during the first 2 years. It did the scene no harm. Although I personally hated it back then.

Regardless, even if Hollywood even made a flick about Northern it won't change the true spirit of its fan base.

I'm sure most will agree.

Social source share

I hope know one minds I e-mailed the production company and this was the reply I recieved this AM

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your e-mail regarding our forthcoming production Souled Out. We're really keen to make sure we represent the era and the scene accurately, so alongside the authorities we've already got working on the research, we'll be talking to as many sources as possible. At present the film is waiting on the 'green-light', but once we have that we'll be contacting people If it's ok with you I'll keep your details on file and possibly contact you in the future.

Thanks again for your offer of help, speak soon!

Best wishes,

Christina

Christina Robson

Production Assistant

Ipso Facto Films

4th Floor

1 Pink Lane

Newcastle Upon Tyne

NE1 5DW

T: 0191 230 2585

F: 0191 261 7481

I suggested to the production company it would be advantageuos for them to ask the views of the Soul Source membership, if they wanted tokeep the film authentic and as near to the 'ERA' as possible, lets hope if the film gets the green light they do contact this forum for advice, if they don't I only live about 2 mile from the office and spit my dummy out at them

Paul Conroy

Tyneside Soul Promotions

Social source share

Hasn't this already been done ie..SOUL JUNCTION.......

Dear me, why not get two lads not disaffected from wealthy backgrounds, who drink only lime cordial and have "Just Say No" t-shirts on.......

:thumbsup:

link

Was Soul Junction any good?

If it was.....where can I get a copy?

Col.

Social source share

Hmmm....sounds like a challenge to me!

100 club anniv. Sat 26th Sept?

Col.

link

can i be in on this too? :thumbsup:

we should have a soul dancing olympics at the anniversary - i can represent ireland

Edited by wendy
Social source share

I hope know one minds I e-mailed the production company and this was the reply I recieved this AM

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your e-mail regarding our forthcoming production Souled Out.  We're really keen to make sure we represent the era and the scene accurately, so alongside the authorities we've already got working on the research, we'll be talking to as many sources as possible.  At present the film is waiting on the 'green-light', but once we have that we'll be contacting people  If it's ok with you I'll keep your details on file and possibly contact you in the future.

Thanks again for your offer of help, speak soon!

Best wishes,

Christina

Christina Robson

Production Assistant

Ipso Facto Films

4th Floor

1 Pink Lane

Newcastle Upon Tyne

NE1 5DW

T: 0191 230 2585

F: 0191 261 7481

I suggested to the production company it would be advantageuos for them to ask the views of the Soul Source membership, if they wanted tokeep  the film authentic and as near to the 'ERA' as possible, lets hope if the film gets the green light they do contact this forum for advice, if they don't I only live about 2 mile from the office and spit my dummy out at them

Paul Conroy

Tyneside Soul Promotions

link

Paul,

I have submitted a few names to speak to and in close contact with them.

The difficulty for any film maker is getting too few or too many overviews.

After speaking with them, I think they have done enough research already.

Remember its a movie and will focus on principle characters and script. If the producers spoke to even 20 fans they would no doubt get 20 different responses.

Either way, at least they are out and about 'checking things out'.

Best regards to the great North East,

Kev

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

The days of attracting young people onto our scene is over. There will only be an handful here and there but nothing of any serious quantities regardless of the popularity of this proposed film.

Shane

link

Sorry Shane, you're wrong.

I saw quite a few people under 30 at the Cardiff all nighter, and they were WELL into the music.

I'd also like to plug "You Know You Got Soul" in Chelmsofrd, where we attract a younger crowd. Maybe you could get down on the 28th of August and we can have a discussion then?

Matt Bolton's night also gets a young crowd.

And I'm pretty sure there is a young crowd at the Jazz Cafe in London for Andy Smith's Northern Soul Night. Perhaps it's worth a visit there before the 100 club in December?

Perhaps younger people are not attracted because promoters are scared to promote to them or don't know how to promote to them? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest JoeMoran

Shouldnt the northern soul scene be grateful for any exposure that it gets now? If this spurs some folk to get more acquainted with the scene shouldnt it be embraced? Whats the worst that could be put on celluloid?

Social source share

Oh, so that's when the "rare soul scene found it's true meaning"......what's this - pseud's corner?

And you think those of us that couldn't attend in the 80s when we were bringing up children are "fair weather soulies"? Well I hadn't thought of it that way, so thanks for sharing your insight  :graynone:

Dave my apologies for the remark , didn't really think it through , kids before everything in my book, your right and i'm wrong, (seem to be retracting everything i say lately, when people give valid replys to my inane ramblings)

Starting to take all this affair to serious, think i'll just watch from the shadows.

Brett

Social source share

I saw quite a few people under 30 at the Cardiff all nighter, and they were WELL into the music.

I'd also like to plug "You Know You Got Soul" in Chelmsofrd, where we attract a younger crowd. Maybe you could get down on the 28th of August and we can have a discussion then?

And I'm pretty sure there is a young crowd at the Jazz Cafe in London for Andy Smith's Northern Soul Night. Perhaps it's worth a visit there before the 100 club in December?

Perhaps younger people are not attracted because promoters are scared to promote to them or don't know how to promote to them? :(

link

Be fair James...Shane's right about the total irrelevance of the film :thumbsup:

Thers's one or two key differences about the events you've mentioned and the likes of Steve's Soul or Nothing and We Got Soul in Wellingborough:

They are held in smart venues....not Church halls.

They have a more open music policy....not the top 100 every time.

They are promoted with the intention of attracting new faces....anathema to some diehards who are apoplectic at the thought of someone stepping onto a dance floor with a bottle.

There's been plenty of discussion about this before but I reckon these events will be the type that will flourish ten years hence.....and let's drop the word Northern!

Social source share

Dave my apologies for the remark , didn't really think it through , kids before everything in my book, your right and i'm wrong, (seem to be retracting everything i say lately, when people give valid replys to my inane ramblings)

Starting to take all this affair to serious, think i'll just watch from the shadows.

Brett

link

No probs, mate :thumbsup:

Shadows? Nah stay in the light!!! :(

Social source share

A good representation of this was in the book "Keeping the faith" by John Barrett not a lot of words but great images of the well represented scene specially page 32 first pic at top of page  :unsure:

link

Couldn't disagree more.

Full of the 'numpty' end of the scene.

Even though I'm in it (without my permission - If I could sue I would)

WOOF!

Social source share

Its also an anachronism.

Col.

link

Thats not a reason,is it?why the change are we embaraced or is it not PC?fukc the

outsiders dont know em`anyway :unsure:

Social source share

Thats not a reason,is it?why the change are we embaraced or is it not PC?fukc the

link

Monday blues, Ken? I'm a bit the same mate :unsure:

We're all entitled to an opinion....guess it boils down to whether you're bothered if there's a scene or not in 5 years time.

Social source share

Monday blues, Ken? I'm a bit the same mate :unsure:

We're all entitled to an opinion....guess it boils down to whether you're bothered if there's a scene or not in 5 years time.

link

One thing is for sure,change its name and it wont be,it will something els maybe

even Popcorn,that will be the time i hang up me records,and i have been around

for donkeys,when i find a good tune first thing i think is northern,not soul too

narrow a term for me,there are a million+ soul records out there many of them

very good,but dont & wont ever make the grade,ie northern soul.

Social source share

One thing is for sure,change its name and it wont be,it will something els maybe

even Popcorn,that will be the time i hang up me records,and i have been around

for donkeys,when i find a good tune first thing i think is northern,not soul too

narrow a term for me,there are a million+ soul records out there many of them

very good,but dont & wont ever make the grade,ie northern soul.

link

I think it's the term Northern that's too narrow.

Soul to me embraces funk, R & B, Jamaican, soulful house and even popcorn....so long as it's good music.

And no, if the scene is to continue to flourish it won't be the same as mosy soul nights are now!

Social source share

link

I thought it was a fair reason. The term "northern soul" belongs to the past. It was an apt phrase for something that was happening 20 years ago. The north of england did a fantastic job preserving "motown style" music all those years ago, but the world has moved on.

Northern soul was, and rare soul is.

Its appreciated worldwide.

Col.

ps good to see you last saturday nite!

Social source share

I thought it was a fair reason. The term "northern soul" belongs to the past. It was an apt phrase for something that was happening 20 years ago. The north of england did a fantastic job preserving "motown style" music all those years ago, but the world has moved on.

Northern soul was, and rare soul is.

Its appreciated worldwide.   

Col.

ps good to see you last saturday nite!

link

I Col,have you not noticed the stuff on the bottom of your threid,if its good enough

for Soul Sam its good enough for me,thinking about dropping your faith Col... :unsure:

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Perhaps younger people are not attracted because promoters are scared to promote to them or don't know how to promote to them? :unsure:

link

James, i wish i shared your optimism (i aint having a dig either). I still believe there is only handfulls of youngsters popping up here and there. I know you are still in your twenties, i am 31. We are the real minority and i cant see that changing to be honest. I can see the scene shrinking dramatically in about 10 years time but i aint worried to be honest. I believe there will be one or two events a month in a small club somewhere and all those who remain will have to travel that bit further and not as frequent. The quality should be second to none though when all those quality records that are deep in collections end up in new hands.

I hope I am wrong.

Shane

ps would love to join you all at the charity do in chelmsford. it all depends on what my gang are doing to be honest. wish you lots of luck though as after reading the flyer, given to me by your other half at the 100 last week, its an important cause that needs support. :unsure:

Edited by ShaneH
Social source share

I still believe there is only handfulls of youngsters popping up here and there. I know you are still in your twenties, i am 31.  I can see the scene shrinking dramatically in about 10 years time

shout.gif

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Social source share

nah, you've just upset me. i spent an hour tonight looking for nice wigan era adidas runners & now you're trying to tell me i wont be able to wear them in ten years time...

i'm off to have a cry

(next you'll be telling me there'll be no santa in 10 years time)

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

nah, you've just upset me. i spent an hour tonight looking for nice wigan era adidas runners & now you're trying to tell me i wont be able to wear them in ten years time...

i'm off to have a cry

(next you'll be telling me there'll be no santa in 10 years time)

link

oh dear sorry wendy. i am a real scrooge tonight. get the trainers bought though.

shane

Social source share

And you think those of us that couldn't attend in the 80s when we were bringing up children are "fair weather soulies"? Well I hadn't thought of it that way, so thanks for sharing your insight  :graynone:

I'm surprised there's been so much discussion of how the scene will be represented in the film......nobody but soulies will give a damn, it will be irrelevant to the rest of the audience!

link

Couldn't attend. surely you mean chose not to attend due to your changing priorities, oh and a scene that was suddenly hard work to keep going and wasnt presented to you in one neat venue. Some of us chose the scene over, or even as well as families etc, all through the 80's.

Despite Bretts apology later I agree with him above, the 80's was when the scene became proper again and properly underground, the way it should be for many of us who very rarely attend due to current state. If staying underground means no more newcomers then so be it, selfish I know but so what it would mean a scene attractive to me and people who I think make the scene, not lots of people who can just pop down to their local sceneor who want to be somebody. And this is not a dig at newcomers, the ones who I have met (Shane, Baz cool.gif are the type we want but lets get real these are the exception as Shane later points out.

And before you spout about different types of music as you do later in thread, I buy everything from 1960 to 2005, but if I want to hear funk or reggae or house I will go to to the sort of place where I will hear the real deal, not a watered down night where they play something to appeal to the masses.

I have for years agreed with the lets drop Northern for Rare soul or something but seeing your logic for it makes me think there is good reason to keep it as Ken says, as all you seem to want to do is create a watered down scene, I often regret i dont make more of an effort these days but reading posts like your various ones on this thread makes me remember why I dont bother.

Jock

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert