Northern Soul Movie

Guest JoeMoran

Why are they holding auditions in dublin,hardly a hot bed of northern events.

Soltown Andy - i asked myself the same question

I'd like to say its because the irish soul fans are a hell of a lot more pohotogenic that the average British soul fan ohmy.gif

but i suspect its more to do with funding

anyway - think the right thing to do now is apolgise to Danny and Paulie for calling them cunts and from what i read some sort of 'meet you outside in the carpark" language and then we can all forget about this nasty undercurrent.

As for the Irish / Dublin soul scene - doesnt need any sort of defence from me - it is what it is.

Social source share

• Replies 298
  • Views 25.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I THINK YOU MISSED THE POINT

was you in the scene at the time I'm talking about?

how was you introduced in the scene?

lets open it up to the Masses then we can all enjoy crazy frogs sings northern ohmy.gif

link

This England had no effect on the scene whatsoever, I was going every week at that time incuding the two weekends they filmed and there were very very few sightseers after the program was shown, you're probably thinking of Footsee/The Javells/Top Of The Pops period when there was a massive influx of sightseers.

Social source share

Guest mickmac

Re: "Soultown andy" hot bed of soul: as explained in one of Danny's earlier posts, one of the main reasons that there are auditions for dancers to be held in Dublin, is that it is partly funded by the Irish Film Institute.

As for what has been said about the scene in Dublin, you really ought to get over there occasionally, it would do your heart good. The crowd is " up for it", I had several people over from the UK for the oldies night last Jan, all the talk the next morning was trying to arrange their next visit.

I don't know how much time you spent there in the 70's, especially when the Wigan mania was at its height, if you could see how much soul was being played, almost none believe me, and compare that to the scene as it is now, it bears testament to the durability, and may I say bloody mindedness, of people like Paul and John Dunne who have tried to maintain soul nights through very difficult times with a small but dedicated following, losing money on venues but still trying to keep a soul scene going. They have been joined over the last 5-7 years by people similar to yourself, of Irish extraction, who have managed to set up home in Ireland, and have brought their records with them.

I felt you may have had read Danny's postings in the wrong light, I did go away for a couple of hours before coming back to re-read it, and I feel that he was trying to be light hearted about things, and as such did not deserve your comment about him.

Paul was a little bit wrong, re: oldies, I know that there is a scheduled night in Jan., but when I have been very fortunate to be afforded the opportunity to play a few disks there, it's oldies that get fired on, starting slowly and building up to bloody feet and heart attack city.

Fine we may not be the "Hot bed of soul" compared to various parts of the UK, but I tell you something you would have to travel the length and breadth of the UK long and often to have as good a time as you would in Dublin.

Do yourself a favour get over there, you might not know anyone when you get there, but by the end if the night you'll have made plenty of new friends.

Regards

Mac

Edited by mickmac
Social source share

Guest JoeMoran

The cast list as posted here is not finalised - in fact the PA is a little bit miffed that it was posted - thats a wish list and no contracts ahve been signed

Social source share

One last time i never slagged the dublin scene off,and if the reason the auditions are being held there is the funding then that is the answer to the question i asked in the first place.I never stated we were bigger or better thats for others to decide

but belive me we are just as passionate at soultown as you are,and compete very well in a far more competitive scene,and belive it or not we try to encorage youngsters to the venues as well so at least we agree on that. Hope that clears that up,have offered Danny a spot next year hope he takes up the offer and will be comeing over to see whats going on over there as you suggest.

Social source share

Paul was a little bit wrong, re: oldies, I know that there is a scheduled night in Jan., but when I have been very fortunate to be afforded the opportunity to play a few disks there, it's oldies that get fired on, starting slowly and building up to bloody feet and heart attack city.

Regards

Mac

link

Quite correct Macca. Paul was a little bit wrong in the "no oldies" dept. Of course oldies get played but they're not the mainstay of the scene here. Also regarding the "No songs beginning with THE" bit, that was supposed to be lighthearted, and I'd say most people saw it as such. My point on that (albeit misunderstood), was we've moved past "The Night" and "The Snake" many moons ago and I do know that some people still have that misconception that we are stuck in that bracket, which we're not.

Some here saw my defence of the Irish soul scene as unwarranted. Indeed, as Joe Moran said, it is what it is. However, as Macca said, we've put a lot of time, effort, money, blood, sweat and a hell of a lot of tears into building it up from an extremely small scene where nobody was interested to what it is today - still a small scene but with quite a lot of interest. So, of course, when it gets dissed, I get a little protective.

As for being called a c***, well I've been called a lot worse and have a penchant for pissing people off which, as in this case, isn't always intentional.

I expect no apologies from Andy, nor, do I think does Danny and we're all a little old for stepping into the carpark because we have differing opinions, if that were the case, Danny and I would have knocked ten shades out of each other many times but we're still plugging away and differing constantly but it's all for the good of the scene and the people on it. And of course the music, whether it be oldies, newies, modern and anything beginning with THE.

Social source share

"The film is being shot as a co production between Ireland (dublin) and the north of England with post picture in the uk and post sound in Ireland.its core aims and media strategy" is aimed at

Media

This is the section that will give most cause for concern re our group me thinks as the mission statements here are gonna create the most interest.

Stage 1

" the word is on the street- the much anticipated Souled out is going to be a classic. Communication via music and lifestyle mags as well as a cool and sophisticated online campaign will form the basis of the activity. Teaser copy on street corners and the underground will act like a wink to those in the know that this long awaited film is on its way and key slots on MTV will give them a taste of what is to come"

Stage 2

"TV activity will broaden out to encompass more of the music stations as well as a few key late night slots on specifically chosen sat channels. The reveal part of the tease campaign will reveal itself on the streets and in the underground. Screens  in bars and clubs will be playing clips and magazines read by young, trendies will feature cool ads. As the release approaches the hip amoungst the 16-24 age group will all be talking about this this much anticipated film... At the same time the first single for the film will be released with a video of clips from the film and a mobile phone campaign".

stage 3

" With the interest fimly established and word of mouth taking its course we broaden out our TV activity to encompass the older, more sophisticated film goer. Active passives As a release date approaches Souled out will light up the streets via a back illuminated 6 sheet campaign. It will fill the airwaves via a heavy weight radio campaign"

Phew so there we have it ... all quotes are from the package e mailed to me this am from the films office in Newcastle... So come on lets have more comments views etc re this.....

link

I cant see why the PA appears to be miffed!!!!!!! Havent we helped them acheive part one of their mission statement above????????

Social source share

I cant see why the PA appears to be miffed!!!!!!! Havent we helped them acheive part one of their mission statement above????????

link

I have been sent the same Media press pack/treatment for this project and the email did state that it was not for public view at this stage, i guess to avoid jumping the gun on the cast for example, i basically was interested in helping promote the idea through the radio show when and if i get the green light as it were, of course this project is great news for the scene but we have to respect the wishes of the production company and i guess this is why the PA is a little miffed that such detailed information has been posted here.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

hi gang,

i turned up at the audition at 11.30 this morning. but instantly lost my bottle when i saw the number of proper/professional young dancers that had arrived. it would be fair to say that none of them had an idea of what to do. if anyone in dublin is considering auditioning, go for it. The fact that you can recognise a 4/4 beat will mark you out. I'm not slagging the people that turned up, there were some great breakdancers. but most of the people danced like they were doing a top of the pops audition to dance to some shite nelly track. sure, they were a million times thinner and more flexible than me but the world of professional dancers looks like hard work n no fun.

word has it the director is looking for 800 (!) dancing extras. if you look in or around 30 give it a go

good luck y'all

Social source share

hi gang,

i turned up at the audition at 11.30 this morning. but instantly lost my bottle when i saw the number of proper/professional young dancers that had arrived. it would be fair to say that none of them had an idea of what to do. if anyone in dublin is considering auditioning, go for it. The fact that you can recognise a 4/4 beat will mark you out. I'm not slagging the people that turned up, there were some great breakdancers. but most of the people danced like they were doing a top of the pops audition to dance to some shite nelly track. sure, they were a million times thinner and more flexible than me but the world of professional dancers looks like hard work n no fun.

word has it the director is looking for 800 (!) dancing extras. if you look in or around 30 give it a go

good luck y'all

link

Well done wendy for having the bottle to go in the first place ya got more balls than me..... eeee to be 18 again....

And Mark no such statement was on my e mail........ re publicity... and as wendy states that there was a large number at the Auditions how can ya keep it a secret from all and sundry........

Social source share

hi gang,

good luck y'all

link

ta for passing on Wendy

you got a sleepless nights on next week there yeah?

maybe worth someone suggesting to film bunch may be worth dropping in ?

mike

Social source share

Well done wendy for having the bottle to go in the first place ya got more balls than me..... eeee to be 18 again....

And Mark no such statement was on my e mail........ re publicity... and as wendy states that there was a large number at the Auditions how can ya keep it a secret from all and sundry........

link

Dawn i'm simply stating what was said to me in the email, i recieved the full 27 page treatment for this project, i'm sure the Auditions were advertised in the press etc. and not directly because of the item we recieved, i take your point if you were not told the same information as me as i say i was simply stating what i was told and in no way was i having a pop at you, this is fantastic news for us all and your aim was only to share this information, perhaps the PA should have been clearer to you, no offence meant.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

hi gang,

good luck y'all

link

Hi Wendy

Lets hope you and the others get parts in this...Makes a lot of sense to have auditions over there,much younger scene with many to choose from...I think Dublin could have as many youngsters on there scene as most of the clubs over here...There are always gonna be people for and against,i had the same experience with Function at the Junction,that film was a real winner with most of the soul crowd i have met and others outside the scene.....The soundtrack as got a good few people into the scene and that must be a plus side...Lots of people talk of new blood/getting youngsters into the scene,what and how do they do that??I aint really seen an influx of younger people on the whole..Younger scene in London and overseas but up north its not really the case..When first timers and younger people come to my nights,i make a point of talking to them and showing them that all are welcome..Some see these as outsiders and tourists,we all were at some time in our lives..I chatted to a few first timers at the 100 club last week and really nice to see them have a good time and say how much they liked the music etc..They left drunk and happy and i hope they will come again.....We have all seen plenty dicks invade our nights and take the piss but thats not all of them.... Lets weed out the prats and welcome new blood who could go on to have the kind of times we have now...Lets hope the film is well written and gets the right feel.Good research is the key but with low budget stuff like this they could skip a lot of that to save on costs....We shall see...

I am a big fan of the Irish scene and think they are a breath of fresh air..

Plastic paddy xx

Social source share

Dont think the director would like this,Mr Sadot will take over,nock out a few dodgy

CDs,add beer towls and dont forget the dancing lessons,could be big spin-offs :unsure:

link

Just seen this post...I know Paul pretty well and know the publishing company behind the cd soundtrack of the play...Thats all above board,many bootleggers and bandits out there and we all know who they are...I reply to this because Paul aint on this sight and can't defend himself..Not fair play is it..Hope site see this message and delete it..The publishing company is BBE to set the record straight..I am all for naming and shaming bootleggers but Paul done everything by the book...Hope you can reply Ken on this topic and put all the shite to bed...Off topic if you like Ken..

regards..

steve..........................

Social source share

Dawn i'm simply stating what was said to me in the email, i recieved the full 27 page treatment for this project, i'm sure the Auditions were advertised in the press etc. and not directly because of the item we recieved, i take your point if you were not told the same information as me as i say i was simply stating what i was told and in no way was i having a pop at you, this is fantastic news for us all and your aim was only to share this information, perhaps the PA should have been clearer to you, no offence meant.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

link

None taken Mark, Sharing of info is an excellant thing, each individual is entitled to their own opinions in this "free country" in which we reside.. and that includes freedom to use information in which the individual sees fit, providing that it does not cause offence or distress.

I think that to be honest with you, the "word of mouth" statement made by such company has acheived what it set out to acheive, in the first instance, as we are all obviously "those in the know", The best policy is to allow this issue to die down a tad and sit and watch the roller coaster that is about to start, when the "proper" pr starts fully, and treasured vinyl is abused ......

and the influx of handbaggers commences.... then dies down again, but thats another story of which we are all too familiar with...

Obviously as a scene, due to the current trend re everything 7ts we will have to pay the small price again, of being "strange" in how we choose to spend our leisure time....

Social source share

None taken Mark, Sharing of info is an excellant thing,  each individual is entitled to their own opinions in this "free country" in which we reside.. and that includes freedom to use information in which the individual sees fit, providing that it does not cause offence or distress.

I think that to be honest with you, the "word of mouth" statement made by such company has acheived what it set out to acheive, in the first instance, as we are all obviously "those in the know", The best policy is to allow this issue to die down a tad and sit and watch the roller coaster that is about to start, when the "proper" pr starts fully, and treasured vinyl is abused ......

and the influx of handbaggers commences.... then dies down again,  but thats another story of which we are all too familiar with...

Obviously as a scene, due to the current trend re everything 7ts we will have to pay the small price again, of being "strange" in how we choose to spend our leisure time....

link

As i said Dawn, i think the production company want to get everything in place before the full push as it were such as the confirmed cast etc. how can treasured vinyl be abused? as long as the advisors to this project are directly from the scene then i'm sure the soundtrack will be authentic which i guess is all we really care about, i think treasured vinyl as you say has already been abused within the scene over the years but i take your very constructive comments and observations on board here.

I have an opinion that often in the past the general non soul media, television etc. generally go for the 'keep the faith', baggie trouser, pill popping side of things with very little coverage of the music, a movie based on the scene will i'm sure follow those guidelines, it has to be visual and entertaining, it would appear that the film will be set in 1974, so i guess will be more detailed in the period, political mood, dead end job, escape at the weekend kind of feel which we can all relate too, i would suspect that the record side of things for example will be secondary in the story more a backdrop to the narative as this would mean very little to a general auidence, yes it's important to those who are in the know as you say but to joe public it would go totally over their heads, i think if the script consists of humour, human emotions alongside an authentic soundtrack of that period in the scenes history then the film makers will caputure the sprit,passion and commitment of genuine followers of this wonderful music, i'm sure after reading the treatment that the production company will be calling upon advice from people in the know and every effort will be made from a musical perspective to get it right.

I feel that the scene will get behind this production but of course we have reservations on how it will turn out, if it's good then we will embrace it, if it goes the other way which i suspect is the concern of many at this stage then at least we can carry on as we are because at the end of the day we are the real deal and a movie based on OUR scene which if nothing else will be a work of fiction and good, bad or otherwise ain't really gone change us is it?

I hope it works as it will be nice for an otherwise undergound cult scene to get the recignition it deserves and maybe a vioce for the artists who made this scene possible in the first place.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

:D:D

Now Mr Bicknell still after fat promoters part with big Cigar(personally dont smoke)

as it seems you have a lead to the inside track,

after a good word and as the joint promoters are from that wonderful city known as

Newcastle

anything than inc Souness

:unsure::D

must go plus that fp

Shepherd

not beggin yet but if it helps can do half a knee

Doug

:D

Social source share

As i said Dawn, i think the production company want to get everything in place before the full push as it were such as the confirmed cast etc. how can treasured vinyl be abused? as long as the advisors to this project are directly from the scene then i'm sure the soundtrack will be authentic which i guess is all we really care about, i think treasured vinyl as you say has already been abused within the scene over the years but i take your very constructive comments and observations on board here.

I have an opinion that often in the past the general non soul media, television etc. generally go for the 'keep the faith', baggie trouser,

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

link

Lets face it then Mark they should have kept quiet then shouldn't they...... :unsure:

and now I take offence as I am part of the baggy trousered keep the faith brigade :D

Social source share

Wouldn't the directors be better off approaching groups of Break Dancers for the dance clips?

They've got the fitness, flexability and stamina, it would just be a case of showing them the basic steps...

link

they could all pop over to tricksters dance classes for a week :unsure:

Social source share

Guest lagerlout

there should be a film about it now i still say, we,ve had them before from the early days and well we was all fcuking boring then

Social source share

there should be a film about it now i still say, we,ve had them before from the early days and well we was all fcuking boring then

link

speak for yourself lolol

ive never been boring :unsure::D:D

as long as they dont show everyone as pill poppers and the like

pity ian dury is dead

he cudda played keith minshull :D

Social source share

Guest lagerlout

speak for yourself lolol

ive never been boring :unsure:   :D   :D

as long as they dont show everyone as pill poppers and  the like

pity ian dury is dead

he cudda played keith minshull :D

link

so you did,nt drink coca cola then at nighters at wigan

how borings that then ...now... :D

Social source share

My two pennorth for what it's worth (very little).

It doesn't really matter, at least as far as I can see, what the film's like.

It could be good, bad, indifferent. Authentic, contrived, truly derivative or not. The music might be correct and of the period or it might not.

It doesn't really matter.

The film is obviously being made in the hope of capturing the imagination of an audience and therefore making (here comes that taboo word) profit.

I am sure that the filmmakers will make every effort to try and capture the "spirit" of the times, but obviously their primary concern will be making a film that has a good story and has good visual impact.

I understand the negativity of other folks on the list, having our precious scene cast into the limelight. But I think that in the final analysis it will, beyond a little bluster, have very little impact on the scene.

Anyway back to lurk mode.

Phil

Social source share

Me too, I think Brett, its like here we go again  :unsure:   Was lookin 4ward to it originally but now its seems sort of tainted already

link

I think we all really think this Dawn to be honest, the subject matter is so close to are hearts i guess we feel anything less than perfection will be dissapointing, it's out of our hands and really all we can do is support and advise the film makers in hope that they get the mood and flavour right at least of a very special and complex scene.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

I think we all really think this Dawn to be honest, the subject matter is so close to are hearts i guess we feel anything less than perfection will be dissapointing, it's out of our hands and really all we can do is support and advise the film makers in hope that they get the mood and flavour right at least of a very special and complex scene.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

link

Lights... camera... action..... :unsure::D:D Scene one.... take one... cup of tea for Mr Bicknell :D

Social source share

Guest lagerlout

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

link

lets see if they ask anyone who actually went to the venue.

should be fun. :D

i wonder if they,ll be any fight scenes in it. :unsure:

Social source share

link

Would still like to see a proper film about the history of Motown. :D

Samuel L Jackson perfect for the role of Harvey Fuqua. Any way you want, any way you want , any way you want! :unsure:

Social source share

Lights... camera... action.....  :unsure:   :D   :D   Scene one.... take one... cup of tea for Mr Bicknell :D

link

Tea!!!!!!! right that's it i don't want to be an actor anymore.......tea what the hell is tea........lol

Scene one......cup of tea goes flying across the room replaced by authentic looking pint of lager...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Hmm have watched this debate with interest (particularly the predictable scuffles half way through!) and surprisingly I am not as against the film as thought would have been, in past would totally have agreed with Brett and really preferred they leave it alone. However the play Once Upon A Time In Wigan has totally changed my mind. I will admit I blubbed my eyes out all through that as that play was not just about a great time in my life it was actually about me and thoughts I had (me and probably about 4000 others but thats besides the point) and it reflected my life within a piece of art which I found incredibly moving.

I like theatre and film but it very rarely engages me in way music has done when its been at its most special, but this play was different, I think the main difference was it was about a time and a place but also mostly about people, Northern Soul people which I am proud to count myself as one, no matter how little I attend these days, and they got it right in my opinion, there were lots of laughs but mostly great memories of the best time of my life, and I dont mean just Wigan, I mean my teens, when your innocence means all that feeling of new experiences and the forming of lifetime friendships can never be repeated.

I think our main worry is that it wont reflect the scene and I think thats guaranteed, but remember this is a drama and not fact, I would think it is not trying to tell the story of Northern as such, and therefore surely if they represent the fun and the people and the reason we were all going, with mostly working class backgrounds, then thats worthy, and as Mark says if they get the right advice thats possible.

I think to reflect the scene properly it would take a documentary from one of our own, and as has somebody has said in another thread its unlikely we will get enough people agreeing to do that. Also how do you represent todays scene, which scene would you choose?

I am not saying this is going to be great, I think its a chance for Northern to be reflected in a piece of art but not represented as nobody could do that properly I dont think without being on the scene, and if they do that properly then I think they are successfull.

Cheers

Jock

PS Hopefully this does not come across too lovey, think I may have been mixing with too many posh tourists in the Edinburgh festival :unsure::D

H

Social source share

Hmm have watched this debate with interest (particularly the predictable scuffles half way through!) and surprisingly I am not as against the film as thought would have been, in past would totally have agreed with Brett and really preferred they leave it alone. However the play Once Upon A Time In Wigan has totally changed my mind. I will admit I blubbed my eyes out all through that as that play was not just about a great time in my life it was actually about me and thoughts I had (me and probably about 4000 others but thats besides the point) and it reflected my life within a piece of art which I found incredibly moving.

I like theatre and film but it very rarely engages me in way music has done when its been at its most special, but this play was different, I think the main difference was it was about a time and a place but also mostly about people, Northern Soul people which I am proud to count myself as one, no matter how little I attend these days, and they got it right in my opinion, there were lots of laughs but mostly great memories of the best time of my life, and I dont mean just Wigan, I mean my teens, when your innocence means all that feeling of new experiences and the forming of lifetime friendships can never be repeated.

I think our main worry is that it wont reflect the scene and I think thats guaranteed, but remember this is a drama and not fact, I would think it is not trying to tell the story of Northern as such, and therefore surely if they represent the fun and the people and the reason we were all going, with mostly working class backgrounds, then thats worthy, and as Mark says if they get the right advice thats possible.

I think to reflect the scene properly it would take a documentary from one of our own, and as has somebody has said in another thread its unlikely we will get enough people agreeing to do that. Also how do you represent todays scene, which scene would you choose?

I am not saying this is going to be great, I think its a chance for Northern to be reflected in a piece of art but not represented as nobody could do that properly I dont think without being on the scene, and if they do that properly then I think they are successfull.

Cheers

Jock

PS Hopefully this does not come across too lovey, think I may have been mixing with too many posh tourists in the Edinburgh festival  :D   :D

H

link

Jocko, i wish i had written that.............spot on mate :unsure:

Social source share

A good representation of this was in the book "Keeping the faith" by John Barrett not a lot of words but great images of the well represented scene specially page 32 first pic at top of page :unsure:

Social source share

I have an opinion that often in the past the general non soul media, television etc. generally go for the 'keep the faith', baggie trouser, pill popping side of things with very little coverage of the music, a movie based on the scene will i'm sure follow those guidelines, it has to be visual and entertaining, it would appear that the film will be set in 1974, so i guess will be more detailed in the period, political mood, dead end job, escape at the weekend kind of feel which we can all relate too, i would suspect that the record side of things for example will be secondary in the story more a backdrop to the narative as this would mean very little to a general auidence, yes it's important to those who are in the know as you say but to joe public it would go totally over their heads, i think if the script consists of humour, human emotions  alongside an authentic soundtrack of that period in the scenes history then the film makers will caputure the sprit,passion and commitment of genuine followers of this wonderful music, i'm sure after reading the treatment that the production company will be calling upon advice from people in the know and every effort will be made from a musical perspective to get it right.

I feel that the scene will get behind this production but of course we have reservations on how it will turn out, if it's good then we will embrace it, if it goes the other way which i suspect is the concern of many at this stage then at least we can carry on as we are because at the end of the day we are the real deal and a movie based on OUR scene which if nothing else will be a work of fiction and good, bad or otherwise ain't really gone change us is it?

I hope it works as it will be nice for an otherwise undergound cult scene to get the recignition it deserves and maybe a vioce for the artists who made this scene possible in the first place.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

link

Dito Jock.....lol

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest lagerlout

would be good the fight scenes

fighting with all the piss heads on manchester station and then on the 11-05 last train to wigan.

arrive at wigan station up the stairs then fight with all the punks all the way down to station road.

i was lucky i had harry with me in my bag

and he saw a few of them off every weekend :unsure:

Social source share

would be good the fight scenes

fighting with all the piss heads on manchester station and then on the 11-05 last train to wigan.

arrive at wigan station up the stairs then fight with all the punks all the way down to station road.

i was lucky i had harry with me in my bag

and he saw a few of them off every weekend  :unsure:

link

Who was Harry?

Social source share

A good representation of this was in the book "Keeping the faith" by John Barrett not a lot of words but great images of the well represented scene specially page 32 first pic at top of page  :unsure:

link

Reflecting the scene in my opinion would be to grasp the early 80's when the fair weather Soulies had deserted the so called faith, because i believe that is when the "Rare Soul" scene found it's true meaning, and perhaps became even more underground than in 1974 ! Iknow this was my first venture into this incredible musical odyssey, but once again...this is all i know, and not the old hat "baggys" etc......I do respect the heritage of the scene, but perhaps because i have worked with guys who attended theTwisted Wheel in 1969 that the advertisers dream of "Northern" leaves me cold.......

Brett

Edited by Brett
Social source share

not sure if I should tell you my opinion about the whole "casting thing" but I was lurking a bit the last 2 days in the studiolikish room downstairs in the Curve, Dublin....and what I saw were 2 female choreographer, and one guy who was filming the moves ( I guess he was the producer, but not sure ...), who tried to find out which of this really young...and I mean really young (I would guess average age was 16/18 ) so called "dancers" would fit into this planned movie, with his or her dance moves.

The most of them were dancing a Hip Hop, Breakdance style - what was good for the acrobatic parts ...but they were'nt able to dance in step....but that's just my impression.

I asked the guy at the reception about their knowledge of this dance scene, and if they'll get advice of people who are into this scene but he said no, he just know that the producers was going into clubs and to allnighter to get an impression....hopefully he got the right one :-/

Btw, they showed the kids dance moves from the This England documentary to give THEM an impression...

I'm not sure if this all really works....but as I said before, that's just my ....

good night

Silke

Social source share

not sure if I should tell you my opinion about the whole "casting thing" but I was lurking a bit the last 2 days in the studiolikish room downstairs in the Curve, Dublin....and what I saw were 2 female choreographer, and one guy who was filming the moves ( I guess he was the producer, but not sure ...), who tried to find out which of this really young...and I mean really young (I would guess average age was 16/18 ) so called "dancers" would fit into this planned movie, with his or her dance moves.

The most of them were dancing a Hip Hop, Breakdance style - what was good for the acrobatic parts ...but they were'nt able to dance in step....but that's just my impression.

I asked the guy at the reception about their knowledge of this dance scene, and if they'll get advice of people who are into this scene but he said no, he just know that the producers was going into clubs and to allnighter to get an impression....hopefully he got the right one :-/

Btw, they showed the kids dance moves from the This England documentary to give THEM an impression...

I'm not sure if this all really works....but as I said before,  that's just my ....

good night

Silke

link

Oh dear....oh dear......oh dear.

This is the very concerns and fears we all have and this is only the auditions, again as i said Media film types think they know best, think i'm gonna contact them again if this is the case at least get someone like Keb Darge to show these kids a few moves........... Brett get us a pint mate, Dawn where are me spencers????

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Now then i asked a simple question about this film earlier and nearly started a war

but this was the very thing i thought may happen,im not putting anybody down but if you are going to make this film do it right.Brett you and i are friends but to say the rare soul scene started in the early eighties is an insult to all the people who attended the wheel torch mecca wigan cleethorpes and all the other legendary venues pre 1980.A lot of the fair weather people left the scene as you put it for many reasons,a family a mortgauge prison etc,as usual we wont agree so you will have to get the beers in again.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert