News: Rare Records and Raucous Nights: Investigating Northern Soul -Salford 04 Nov

Mike

I actually put the words Social Anthropology as a joke, hopefully it won't be as dry or serious as that.

If anyone thinks I've worked out what I'm going to say in a paper, they've never been to Cleethorpes. Advance planning isn't a strong point of mine. I'll no doubt be refining my opus on the train up.

Licensing hasn't essentially changed since the early 70s but a few of our brethren have seemed a bit grey in the area over the years so maybe I can enlighten them a tad. I'll be looking for bouffant haired, North African originated Leeds lad on the back row: and possibly a Lawrence Llewelyn Bowen lookalike.

Steve, fans an abbreviation of the word fanatic; perhaps Lucy was using it in that sense.

Cheers

Ady

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Views 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I'd agree with Joan and say it was quite good and pretty interesting. It was by no means an attempt for an outsider so to speak to rewrite the history books as far as Northern Soul is concerned. It was simply to get something academic onto the books as there is virtually nothing academic as far as NS is concerned, plenty about other dance/music scenes.

The first professor is actuall into NS, been going since the 70's and still goes occasionally, dj'ed in the past too. The second her parents are/were into it, from the North East, and knows Col Denham, Gas Simon etc. Attended many venues during her research including Piercebridge where both Joan and myself went and Dj'ed at.

Lucy has been on SS for some years and gave in my and others opinion a very good talk.

The US professor is a R&B fan, his father a close friend of I think Jerry Wexler, grew up with the music and has worked in the biz.

They valued the feedback and Q&A extremely and were very happy with it all. Think more are planned.

Someone video'ed it, I am waiting for the URL to the video so all can see for themselves. Lucy said she would share her paper and asked one of the others but she needs to get permission as it is being published. I did record it on my iphone, quality not too bad, if all say ok I can share if the video doesn't appear.

Social source share

can't remember but when it first started back in the eighties we were a much younger crowd any way (I was 22 or 23 when it started I think, '88 or '89) until those who left when Wigan closed and missed the eighties returned and bumped up our average age biggrin.gif

If I remember rightly there was a cafe/canteen lounge area at the side of the main hall which was frequented by some students, I would imagine some ventured into the nighter?? Someone with a better memory might be able to add more.

spot on mate, I've seen loads of studes over the years @ both keele and other venues, still happens @ king hall, late bars and the lack of antthing else going on in stoke usually do the trick.

Social source share

We're suitable candidates for social anthropology. I will be contemplating my own navel.

If you wanna hear how we at Kent go about licensing and the sometimes hilarious consequences, or if you just wanna throw fruit, come along.

Which will be followed with a lecture on the quality of the fluff fibres collected from within it , amassed during the golden years of the scene :hatsoff2: .

Malc

Social source share

No need to check this out if your hearing is fine 'cos it's just about word for word what was said by the speaker.

:thumbsup: If i'd been there I wouldn't have known wether to listen or read.

Lucy actually gave a good talk IMO. Her paper was based on research and what you see is the research, actual comments from soulies etc.

Social source share

https://interactivecu...f-northern-soul

If you could stand 38 mins of me droning on about licensing and side matters like bootlegging, go to the above link and revel in my new-look, yellow sloppy jumper. I really should get to the gym.

The whole event was very worthwhile and I must say validated by the turn out of Soul Sourcers who contributed to a lively and enlightening debate. I understood most of it and even had my thoughts provoked at different stages. I did find the closing presentation to be a few hundred yards over my head; there was a fair bit of philosophy and non Northern stuff in there, but i have been reliably informed that at most similar dos, it's like that for the majority of the talk, not the minority as in this case.

If any points are brought up about licensing, I'd be happy to answer them, but maybe we should start a separate thread as it was only a part of this much bigger presentation.

Ady

Edited by ady croasdell
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert