Dab Of Soul Friday 22Nd Oct Lars And Tats

Rather than do the usual promoters piece of coming on here saying is was packed out, musically excellent, both guests were amazing, etc etc I thought i would just open the thread and invite the punters who were there last night to give their views....I think thats the way the "Lookback" forum was designed to work anyway!

So......

Chris

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Busy night, dj's were exceptional and we had a fab time. Both Tats and Lars played out of their socks, so to speak.

Glad we made the trip up, even though the M6 was shocking.

Little else needed really, other than it being one of those nights were, if you missed it, you missed out.

Dave

Edited by Dave Thorley

Busy night, dj's were exceptional and we had a fab time. Both Tats and Lars played out of their socks, so to speak.

Glad we made the trip up, even though the M6 was shocking.

Little else needed really, other than it being one of those nights were, if you missed it, you missed out.

Dave

Sadly i missed it Dave

It was in my social calender but never realised untl late that it was a friday event ,which is pretty much a no go for me unless local

However i have had the dreaded man -flu virus for the last three days now ,so maybe someone is trying to tell me something:(

glad it went well and the dj's were top drawer .....look forward to reading more reviews:thumbsup:

Guest Brett F

Agree with Dave, superb music from the guests and the residents, there was a good balance i thought, Lars is such a great fella' and has brilliant taste he really plays the stuff i like (Everyday People, Rey Villar etc) then Tats playing the astonishing Eddie Billups 'Ask My Heart' simply one of the greatest records ever made. It was more than worth the late night travelling back home and the blinding headache i had this morning.

Well done Chris and Dave for bringing quality DJ's to your great venue.

Brett

Well, me being me, I'll be totally honest with my lookback.... :(

The room was well busy with folk, and the DJs I heard (I didn't get there till 11 pm) played some great sets.

Now bearing in mind that 70s, 80s modern and crossover ain't my cup of tea you can take that as high praise indeed :thumbup: .

From the back of the room, the atmosphere was great, with plenty of people shuffling around on the carpet to tunes that they obviously loved.......now comes the 'but'...

Why don't they get up on the dancefloor and show their appreciation to the guys playing the tunes.

It seems as though they are fearful to dance to stuff they don't know, even though they are clearly loving the tunes they are hearing?

I'm not so sure the term 'chinstrokers' can be used to excuse this either, cus as soon as the likes of Guitar Ray gets spun they pile onto the floor.

Nowt wrong with that in itself, it's a great record, but why not stay up to the other stuff.

I obviously don't frequent Modern/Crossover rooms, so not sure if this is the norm, and as I don't very often dance myself (I'm more built for drinking and eating :g:) it probably sounds hypocritical.

It must be incredibly frustrating for the promoters and DJs alike.....Lars started his set off with some great uptempo tracks that would have certainly got them up and dancing at Bidds, and we are more labelled as a 60s/R&B venue.

Certainly don't mean to offend anybody involved with this event, I also don't suppose there is any easy answer to this, and I honestly think that this room has otherwise got all the right ingrediants for a top night.

Anyways, thanks to Chris and Dave for a great night, it was good to meet you Lars :thumbsup: , and now I know that Thorsten often likes to stand on his head when p*ssed I will endeavour to test this out at Allentown next April :huh:

Regards

Mace

Edited by Mace

You weren't the only person to mention this mace Dave the dentist told me malayka made the same point to him, my excuse is I don't dance much but also had the wrong shoes on they just stuck to the floor think some talc was needed. Also I think the room layout spoils it slightly as there is a lot of wasted space at the bottom of the room so everyone stays in the carpeted section don't know how you

Could alter that. But apart from that a great night with some great people and lots of superb music.

Mark

Edited by mark.b

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.

I do know what you mean about the dancers but I`m not sure there are too many venues where people dance to tunes they dont know. I am just pleased that we get the numbers in that we do, if they want to dance then cool but if they just want to listen, buy records, have a drink and a chat etc then thats cool also.

I would like to take this oppotunity to thank both guests who played blinding sets of quality soul. Thanks to Tats and Lars for making it a special night

Also, a massive thank you to the travellers. A lot of people travelled a considerable distance on a difficult Friday night to support us including places as far afield as Lincoln, Sheffield, Bristol, Bedford, Northampton, Newark and Derby. Dave and I really appreciate it.....

The next date is Saturday December 18th, put it in your diary now!

Chris.

Guest steve jay

Weve been meaning to make it over for an age now , always something else booked etc etc at last we made our minds up to make the trip,and what a great time we had .

GREAT COMPANY, GREAT ROOM, GREAT SELELECTION OF SALES BOXES :rolleyes::lol: :lol: THANKS GUYS!!,AND ABOVE ALL GREAT MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A credit to you Dave and Chris ,I popped my head in to the huge ballroom downstairs near the end and I reckon there were nearly as many upstairs as down!!

As for the lack of dancers ,I can only say that it is such a really nice and socially friendly place that we spent a lot of time chatting but I spent lots of time on the floor , as my aching legs reminded me saturday morning. Maybe as we crossover fans are shy creatures , maybe a slightly darker room may tempt a few more on the floor:rolleyes: :lol: anyway we will definately be back(mob handed )for the next one not for another dab, but for a large DOLLOP of SOUL which we cetainly got this time.

TOP NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by steve jay

One feature of "Dab" is that we always give away a free CD on the night. However, this time we ran out of CDs as there was so many people there. If you missed out on the free CD on the night or you are thinking of coming to DAB and fancy a free CD just PM me with your address and I`ll stick you one in the post....

Here is the track listing......

1.Phillip Mitchell-Just the beginning

2.Sam Dees- Touch me with your love

3.George Benson-When love calls

4.Ray Crumley-I wanna be a part of you

5.Special Delivery-This kind of love

6.Lori and Lance-I don`t have to worry

7.The Realitives-Leave something worthwhile

8.The Superlatives-Dont let true love die

9.The Esquires-How can it be

10.Sonny Til-I gave it all up

11.Bubba Lou-Over you

12.Natural Four-I think i found that girl

13.S.O.U.L- This time around

14.Marshall, Donnovan etc-Since i found my baby

15.Dee Dee Sharp-Touch my life

16.Spyder Turner-I`ve been waiting

17.Ron Keith-Can`t live without you

18.Mike Kirkland-Give it to me

19.Shirly Wahls-Why am i crying

20.21st Century-Shadow of a memory

21.Otis Clay-You hurt me for the last time

22.Tommy Yates- Darling Something`s gotta give

23.Sideshow-Lonely girl

24.Maxine Weldon-I want Sunday back again

Cheers, Chris.

Hi all,

Thanks to the Dab crew, Chris and Dave, to let me spin some of my records. It was a pleasure!!!

Also a big thanks to Tats Taylor, who played a blinding set and the before metioned Doc Peabody, which was the record of the night for me.

So many old and 'newer' friends came along, what can I say? Fantastic to see you guys.

And a special thanks to Dave, Chris, Helen & little Alex for being such great hosts!

Lars

Had a really enjoyable night at 'Dab' on Friday both musically and socially. Loads of faces in attendance, loads of chat and banter, and great to catch up with the likes of Dave and Malyka, Mark B, Kev and Vicky, the incomparable Bully, Brett, Val and Elaine and of course spend some time with Lars...

Yes, a little quiet on the dancefloor, which can be a bit disconcerting for the dj's, but I'm pretty confident everyone was enjoying the music, and as has been said, lots of shuffling on the carpet going on ...

Dave's warm up spot set the tone with some great tunes and then followed some outstanding music from the guests. Lars really mixed it up with some great funky stuff, 80's and lesser knowns among the classics (thanks for the shades 45, mate- sounds even better played out!!).

Tat's was his usual brilliant self-you sometimes take it for granted that he's gonna play a great set, because he always does, but he has that knack of mixing the rare with the classic and then dropping that perfect underplayed or forgotten tune that makes your hair stand up.....he does it everytime, and yet I still dont quite know how he does it!

Had to leave before the end but was enjoying Chris and Daves double decking before I hit the road.

I guess it's a promoters dilemma in booking interesting guests who, whilst they are likely to play lesser known and more obscure tunes are also more likely to lose the floor, but fairplay to Chris and Dave for doing just that ,and accepting that most people there, even if not dancing were definitely listening and appreciating the music played. Keep on doing that guys, new and interesting sounds are the only way forward!

Loved the night and the free CD; Lar's and Tat's at their very best.

Getting slowed on the M6 was a right pain in the arse, flew back to Worcester tho; Chris can add another visiting city to the list :(

Big thanks to Mr Fisher and Jean for the Indian for tea, Mr Hurcomb called off late in the afternoon so instead of drive Telford to Worcester to Nantwich I was able to cut across country, listen to some wonderful LP tracks and then swear at our motorway system.

Dave and I have talked about the lack of dancefloor movement a few times now but just like our Soulful Sessions, they either dance or stand around tapping their feet, the proof is always that there's people still there at the end and they haven't buggered off by 11:30/12:00.

Roll on the next night in December I say.

Well I had a great time - even though it seemed I was the only one shaking a leg for most of the night.

When Tats is on the decks, you'll always find me on the floor!

I just don't know how others can resist! :yes:

But its clear that, by and large, low numbers on the dancefloor tends to be a symptom of 'Crossover' style venues.

Such events 'attract' Collectors.

And Collectors are mainly Male.

Their wives and partners stay home (or go out for some 'real' fun) :lol:.

Consequently, Males outweigh Females about 10-1.

Females do the dancin' (all 8 of em) and the 70 odd Men do the record browsin' toe tappin' and chin strokin'.

Its the new Bingo (where Women used to mark the Cards, while the men just looked on, over a pint of mild). :D

All 4 DJ's did a great job on the night and it was a real pleasure to catch up with a few old friends as well as hear Lars for the first time (who dropped me a Bobby McClure 45 on Hi, for good measure).

A goodly session, with some quality music and well worth the four hour round trip!

When's the next one guys?

:(

Sean

we came really late, 2 things ,JOHN WESTON:rolleyes: and the M6..we never thought we would ever get there, I aint the biggest fan of 70T,s,that,s me, I am a sixties girl,but,,I do love crossover, and I loved the crossover, and I did dance, not much cos I aint got the legs fa it now unfortunatley! really enjoyed it very much, missed larrs first set, but took in his second, most likely some of it wasted on me, as I dont really know much about it if you like, only the stuff woody plays me, but one thing I can be sure of, is if some ones banging on about modern records, and I dont mean that disco crap, I would say, get your arse to Dab of Soul, cos even I can see you guys and guests play top dollar, quality with out question, I thought it was a bloody good turn out, loads there upstairs,a great venue chris, and Dave thanx fa the cd, which I will have you know I have listened to it all:thumbsup:

well i have just about recovered from a brilliant night on friday and just read all the feed back comments and to say i,m truly

humbled with all your very favourable comments is an understatement and am sure along with chris want to thank you all for the time and effort it took in some instances to come to DAB on friday night. the M6 is a pain at the best of times but friday night seems they really excelled them selves so once again a very big thank you.

don,t think the dance floor reaction thingy will ever go away but when we set out with "DAB OF SOUL" that was not top of the agenda, yes wecould solve the problem overnight by changing our musical policy and dj line ups and play the commercially more well known records, let me tell you

that is never ever going to happen. if they want to dance they will if they want to shuffle there feet great and if they want to just sit and listen and absorb the quality of music of offer so be it the fact is they are all loving the music and contiually keep telling us, as the saying goes " the customer is always right" and they tell us not to change the style or format.

we set out at the beginng to bring the very best in cossover /70ts music with the very best dj,s who we knew were of like minded thoughts to put on a night that did exactly what it say,s on the can hopeing there were enough like minded people out there who want this genre of music, i think after nearly 2 years we have proved a point and that there are the people out there who are like minded. attendances tell us that event after event.

so to all who attended from far and wide and the locals on friday i thank you very much and as dave thorley said it was one of those night you are glad you did,nt miss, to our 2 super star guest,s a massive thank you for playing betwen you 2 hours of the most sublime and intellegent pieces of soul music you could wish to hear they were both just awesome, as we new they would be, it capped it all when looking at the audience and seeing in there some of the cream of dj,s who had come to hear support and appreciate our to guest,s say,s a lot to me doe,s that

so roll on the next night and for sean,s diary it is SATURDAY 18th OF DECEMBER

so once again a very big thank you to all those who attended you made the elder and the youngster 2 very happy people

regards

dave lucas

Firstly a big thank you to Chris and Dave for inviting me to play at Dab, especially alongside the ultra cool "Lars".

Secondly a big thanks for the kind words.

I gotta say any lack of dance floor action was more than made up for by one of the warmest and most appreciative soulful gatherings i have had the pleasure of playing in front of. The diversity of everyone's playlists on the night seemed to reflect the open-mindedness and relaxed attitude of the crowd.

I loved it

see you in December

Tats

Firstly a big thank you to Chris and Dave for inviting me to play at Dab, especially alongside the ultra cool "Lars".

Secondly a big thanks for the kind words.

I gotta say any lack of dance floor action was more than made up for by one of the warmest and most appreciative soulful gatherings i have had the pleasure of playing in front of. The diversity of everyone's playlists on the night seemed to reflect the open-mindedness and relaxed attitude of the crowd.

I loved it

see you in December

Tats

tats the kind words of praise were very much richly derserved for both you and lars i think this night will be a talking

at dab for many moons to come look for ward to seeing you in december, and hope the back is on the mend.

once again thanks for contruibuting to such a succesful night

regards

dave lucas

Source Advert