Wigan Dancer Request Bbc One

Mike

And where exactly did you get these pearls of wisdom from, never let a rumour get in the way of a good story eh....

I was at the last dance class that turned into a soul night as I was in London for the evening, and I didn't see any plan B or prancing, differing levels of dancers, some very good and very very authentic being trained very well for a film, and being acclimatised to what it is like to dance in among real people at the soul night later, most would call it damn good preparation and taking your art seriously, could even stretch it to liken it to method acting, hasn't done some serious actors too much harm in the past has it. Must tell Ken Loach to stop putting so much effort into making his situations real as possible, obviously he has it wrong.

You really do have a chip on your shoulder don't you, I have heard the story about your promoting being run out of town, quite funny really, sure a wanabee promoting has beens in a washed up seaside town will make a good story one day........

Here you go then Northern Soul Film Dancers with Plan B......I will have some vinegar with that chip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwMk6HG9ZZ0

Social source share

• Replies 63
  • Views 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Here you go then Northern Soul Film Dancers with Plan B......I will have some vinegar with that chip.

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=EwMk6HG9ZZ0

Wow shock horror, young kids trying to get a part in one film are involved in another entertainment medium using what they have learnt from the first film, fu*k me, you will be telling me Natalie Portman isn't a real ballet dancer next!

If you are trying to make any relevant point you are failing other than looking like someone trying, too hard.

Social source share

as this one was more about the actual aspect of mainstream media it sort of makes sense to use the other one just started for talking about the actual show no wits been shown

so ask use that one for that yepthumbsup.gif

Social source share

I think this was on last night, and yes, it pretty much summed up everyone's fears in this thread of how corny and misrepresentative it was probably going to be. However, having read this thread, apart from a few interesting contributions, the rest of the comments are the obligatory attempt to mock anything which dares to put a commentary publically on the scene - well specifically Wigan. I think if the scene is to survive it probably needs exposure of the right kind to attract and sustain a new audience which will follow and keep alive the fundamentals of the scene. I don't get out to many nights these days, at any opportunity I get I will attend a do irrespective of familiarity with venue or folk , I recently attended a venue with my partner who I have failed miserably to convert to the scene , she likes the music ,but believes the people who frequent the scene (well at least the places I have taken her!) are too clicky (that's probably being polite) . I was enjoying the set in the oldies room at this particular venue, when the geriatric Northern Soul dinosaur appeared and attempted to mock me (not sure why me, face didn't fit and all that) While I can put it down to drink etc, the guy was a real twat and deserved more than the ' I'll ignore the tosser' I eventually settled for as a plan of action. Unfortunately, this strikes me as no different an attitude to the mocking of anything that doesn't quite click into the perceived hierarchy of the scene. Of course this is all in my very humble opinion.

Social source share

I think this was on last night, and yes, it pretty much summed up everyone's fears in this thread of how corny and misrepresentative it was probably going to be. However, having read this thread, apart from a few interesting contributions, the rest of the comments are the obligatory attempt to mock anything which dares to put a commentary publically on the scene - well specifically Wigan. I think if the scene is to survive it probably needs exposure of the right kind to attract and sustain a new audience which will follow and keep alive the fundamentals of the scene. I don't get out to many nights these days, at any opportunity I get I will attend a do irrespective of familiarity with venue or folk , I recently attended a venue with my partner who I have failed miserably to convert to the scene , she likes the music ,but believes the people who frequent the scene (well at least the places I have taken her!) are too clicky (that's probably being polite) . I was enjoying the set in the oldies room at this particular venue, when the geriatric Northern Soul dinosaur appeared and attempted to mock me (not sure why me, face didn't fit and all that) While I can put it down to drink etc, the guy was a real twat and deserved more than the ' I'll ignore the tosser' I eventually settled for as a plan of action. Unfortunately, this strikes me as no different an attitude to the mocking of anything that doesn't quite click into the perceived hierarchy of the scene. Of course this is all in my very humble opinion.

the talcasaurus is indeed a beast to be feared............

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

the talcasaurus is indeed a beast to be feared............

I thought Trickster wiped them out, when in post as head of the Talc police. :thumbsup:

Social source share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwMk6HG9ZZ0

I thought soul dancing was about being in the groove!

Seems like it's just a series of planned (well executed) spins back drops splits ect!

Is this what the scene is all about now plan B ?

Wish these people who make these films would visit some real live kicking venues wether it be oldies modern crossover and get to talk to some people who did it back in the 6ts7ts8ts 9ts and are still doing it!

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Seems like it's just a series of planned (well executed) spins back drops splits ect!

Wish these people who make these films would visit some real live kicking venues wether it be oldies modern crossover and get to talk to some people who did it back in the 6ts7ts8ts 9ts and are still doing it!

Of course this aint the scene, its a few of the youngsters getting a chance to try out some moves at a massive gig - I'd guess to build confidence for the film they're going to be in. Don't see much wrong in this to be honest.

The director behind the new film has been on the scene for years

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

The Plan B thing was all arranged and choreographed by Keb Darge.

But, No, its not about Plan B.

There is a Plan C, which is to ignore the dogmatic gate keepers of dancing and Northern soul history and to actually introduce 'new blood' to the scene.

Real kicking venues? where are those? All i see now is a dispertate and fractured scene based around a bunch of new 'gatekeepers' a lot of whom weren't even there in the first place except as weekend tourists. There is no central cohesion , just a load of small groups doing their own thing and lots of half filled venues.

So dont harp on about your halcion years :thumbsup: and visiting kicking venues., those days are over!

Now im not a fan of the whole Plan B thing and sending dancers to it, BUT Its only by allowing and encouraging a younger generation to appreciate the music and dancing, that the scene has any remote chance of survival. I know that you were probably born dancing to soul music and never had to learn and watch and listen and have fun doing so, But for some it takes a little longer and it should be encouraged not slated. You sound like a grumpy, jealous granny bemoaning her lost youth....

Keep on kicking it at your venue,, im sure your still very impressive and just like when you were 15, but let others have a go and who knows, maybe in a few years they will be as good as you.:yes: We can only hope.

Edited by paul-s
Social source share

Watching those kids dancing brilliant the other vid northern soul dance club was great aswell :thumbsup:

Ok I love the soul scene its kept me entertained for the last forty years but it and us has grown old so to see kids with energy dancing albeit a bit contrived makes a change from watching middle/old aged people dancing like Uncle Knobhead at a wedding ( I include myself in that last remark ) :yes:

Social source share

Going slightly off topic, here is a report on Aussie TV from a few years ago about the ex-pat soul scene in Queensland.

Taking the piss or tongue in cheek, decide for yourself. No participant control over how a report is presented though is there?

I can tell you the people in the video are ardent "soulies" and travel from one side of Australia to the other to support the weekenders and Aussie National

and some will be well known in the UK

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert