Darrow Fletcher 60S Or 70S Cd?

Ady Croasdell

Is there enough interest in Darrow as a 70s artist to do a CD of all his 70s work which will feature quite a few good unissueds (only one or maybe two are dancers; very good though) to sell to a modern soul crowd without including his 60s stuff? His 3 big modern 45s will be on there. We'd do his 60s stuff separately if we did this. Or should we just do the very best of his overall career?

This is market research from the 70s crowd really, we're pretty sure the 60s crowd would buy whichever has his big 60s numbers on them.

Ady

Social source share

I'd buy two volumes on Darrow, just a great artist...Rising cost of Love is a Killer, surely he recorded more when that session was done?

Mal.C.

Yeah, we've found some very good high quality, finished (though in some cases not mixed yet) sides. i just wasn't sure if he was revered on the 70s scene as much as he is on the 60s (which actually came as a bit of a surprise to me too).

Social source share

Hi Ady

I know the package that you produce will be top notch with brilliant sound quality and a very informative booklet that as always will never be beaten . There is a Cd out there ( scans attached ) which has a mix of both 60's & 70's defo not comprehensive and certainly no un issued stuff so there has to be a market for a propper release .

post-17644-0-02849200-1314980552_thumb.j

post-17644-0-57586400-1314980559_thumb.j

Is there enough interest in Darrow as a 70s artist to do a CD of all his 70s work which will feature quite a few good unissueds (only one or maybe two are dancers; very good though) to sell to a modern soul crowd without including his 60s stuff? His 3 big modern 45s will be on there. We'd do his 60s stuff separately if we did this. Or should we just do the very best of his overall career?

This is market research from the 70s crowd really, we're pretty sure the 60s crowd would buy whichever has his big 60s numbers on them.

Ady

Social source share

Hi Ady

I know the package that you produce will be top notch with brilliant sound quality and a very informative booklet that as always will never be beaten . There is a Cd out there ( scans attached ) which has a mix of both 60's & 70's defo not comprehensive and certainly no un issued stuff so there has to be a market for a propper release .

are they legal those Marginal releases?

Social source share

Not in the slightest and Darrow, like all of us, could use the money! The bootleggers should be very ashamed.

I agree.

I'll buy either a 2 cd anthology type package or two separate releases of all his stuff and if you want any photos of him from Cleggy feel free to use what you want.

Social source share

From my experience of buying CD's Steve, Doubles aren't necessarily more expensive than a single disc CD. It all depends where it's been released. For example I recently purchased a double funk CD and here in the UK it was £40 but bought it from an Aussie dealer and got it for £20 delivered. I do have to wait around 30 days for delivery though.

Social source share

What's the cost differential of 2 x 1 CDs versus a double CD package? Do doubles sell as well as singles? Steve

I've generally paid about a fiver more for a double compared to single CD, so there is a cost saving there for the buyer there. But saying that I do like buying anthology CD's which showcases an artist or a lables entire output, with both Rhino and Kent benefitting from my patronage over the years.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Thanks for the responses everybody.

We've decided to go with a separate CD for the two main musical periods of Darrow's life 1965-1971 and 1975- early 80s. Yet another modern soul track, courtesy of a SS member, is on its way to us and is meant to be great, so there should be about 23 tracks on the first CD probably out in March and 19 in general longer tracks on the 70s CD. Including a longer version of The Rising Cost Of Love. The two CDs will cover all his recordings that we know about.

Ta

Ady

• Helpful 1
Social source share

We've decided to go with a separate CD for the two main musical periods of Darrow's life 1965-1971 and 1975- early 80s. Yet another modern soul track, courtesy of a SS member, is on its way to us and is meant to be great, so there should be about 23 tracks on the first CD probably out in March and 19 in general longer tracks on the 70s CD. Including a longer version of The Rising Cost Of Love. The two CDs will cover all his recordings that we know about.

Ta

Ady

Hadrian, I think I love you. The thought of unissued Darrow's 70's stuff is the best news for long time, and that is saying something given your employers current prolific streak. I will commit the heinous crime here of saying his 70's is far superior, in general soul music terms, to his 60's so that is fantastic. Although, will obviously buy both.

I didn't see the original one, but if I had would say don't rely on Modern scene for sales on this, maybe 70's/Crossover guys, and if so a bit of vinyl seems to always get them moist, so a free 7" of the unissued track with the CD would be ideal, but I suspect not exactly cost effective.

I do suspect your Londoners in that category of fans will buy the odd CD too, get yourself down to Filthy/Majestic soul as suspect any market research done there will be a good guide and a decent night out to boot.

Is the other "modern" track an issued track or unissued.

Boy am I salivating.

Social source share

Ta

Ady

Brilliant, look forward to them both already. :thumbup:

Social source share

Ooh I'd buy anything by Darrow, I am drawn to his 60's, but willing to open my ears to more of his 70's.

I did buy a home made compilation cd at Cleethorpes when Darrow performed (please don't shoot me down in flames) I was assured that Darrow would get half the money, & I do believe he did, as the seller is a BIG fan of Darrow's.

I would love to give something back to Darrow, legally, so please put me down for both c.d's

Cheers

Ali x

Social source share

• 7 months later...

A songwriter contacted me last week, I asked if he produced any unreleased material and he said he cut one Darrow Fletcher track from the early 70s. He says he still has the unmixed 2" masters. I am following up with him to see if I can transfer and do a rough mix just to hear what the track sounded like. it's too bad it's only one track.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!