Blue Sharks

Guest giant

I checked on Popsike and it gave about 10 copies as having being sold on Ebay. They went from £400.00 at the peak now running at about £150.00. I think there's another site like Popsike, not sure what it's called, something like Vinylmaniacs or somesuchsimilar. Anywhere else you look for records that sold ? :huh:

it's called 'Collectors Frenzy'

Social source share

Guest martyn

No need for apologies my friend. It's a story that I would like to be true - because it adds more interest to the record/thread. It might have even been Sam who told me - but I don;'t remember!

:thumbsup:

Sam was deffo playing it at St Ives from late 76- early 77 onwards.....So are we saying he bought another copy in 2007 after selling the first ?

Social source share

Sam was deffo playing it at St Ives from late 76- early 77 onwards.....So are we saying he bought another copy in 2007 after selling the first ?

Yes that was my understanding Martyn. He sold one and then bought another from an Italian dealer to play at the last Cleethorpes all dayer. I seem to recall that he bought his old copy back from the person he sold it to - but I might just be embroidering it a bit!

:huh:

Social source share

Yes that was my understanding Martyn. He sold one and then bought another from an Italian dealer to play at the last Cleethorpes all dayer. I seem to recall that he bought his old copy back from the person he sold it to - but I might just be embroidering it a bit!

:huh:

That's right - I actually bought Sams first copy from him in about 1979/80 (give or take) - it was supposed to be a one-off at the time - I think that copy went to Iain Stewart in the mid 80's.

I never did find another one until copies started appearing with the birth of eBay. I've had quite a few over the last 10 years or so, and Sam had a spare one from me about 2005 . I thought he'd still got it, but earlier this year he bought another from me as he no longer had the other copy.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

I would say so Chris!

Mine sold for quite a lot more than £400 on JMs a few years back, I think I sold it at the perfect time.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Yeah, I read that as well. I think I also read that it was on one of those cheapo Avenue 7"ers with 6 cover versions on.

It's very possible that it would have been released here on one of those 6-track budget cover EPs (probably on Avenue, Disc-a-Fran, or Flag). And yes, it does look like the Italian equivalent of one of these budget cover singles (a bit like the Embassy label of the late 50s / early 60s). Both sides would have been UK hits around the same month during 1971, and probably a few months later in Italy (though it looked like Italy didn't believe in using a naked nubile to promote the record).

I wonder if the tracks were UK-produced and recorded for such EPs, and then sent over to Italy for similar use? Embassy (which was part of Oriole) did a similar thing by sending their tracks to countries like France and Israel for release out threre. If that's the case, then the real identity of the artistes would be unknown (certainly not the Blue Sharks). These cover versions were always recorded by whoever was available as a session musician at the time - don't forget that even Elton John recorded a few tracks for some Avenue EPs.

Edited by Gene-R
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

It's very possible that it would have been released here on one of those 6-track budget cover EPs (probably on Avenue, Disc-a-Fran, or Flag). And yes, it does look like the Italian equivalent of one of these budget cover singles (a bit like the Embassy label of the late 50s / early 60s). Both sides would have been UK hits around the same month during 1971, and probably a few months later in Italy (though it looked like Italy didn't believe in using a naked nubile to promote the record).

I wonder if the tracks were UK-produced and recorded for such EPs, and then sent over to Italy for similar use? Embassy (which was part of Oriole) did a similar thing by sending their tracks to countries like France and Israel for release out threre. If that's the case, then the real identity of the artistes would be unknown (certainly not the Blue Sharks). These cover versions were always recorded by whoever was available as a session musician at the time - don't forget that even Elton John recorded a few tracks for some Avenue EPs.

I'm not sure about that, I think there's a European twang to the vocals so it's probably an Italian group after all

Social source share

I'm not sure about that, I think there's a European twang to the vocals so it's probably an Italian group after all

Yes - good point. Do you think it could have been put out as a similar budget-type release?

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Must have been. But if that had indeed come out on Avenue - I bet nobody would have touched it, it's all to do with it being scarce I reckon.

Make you right on that Pete! Mind you, it wouldn't be the first time a budget cover was played on the scene. There's also "Back In My Arms Again" by Val Palmer on Hit. Some of those Hit 45s are quite decent covers.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Make you right on that Pete! Mind you, it wouldn't be the first time a budget cover was played on the scene. There's also "Back In My Arms Again" by Val Palmer on Hit. Some of those Hit 45s are quite decent covers.

Yep you are right, Jenny & The Jewels, Ritchie Brown, both were popular especially J & The J's, Val Palmer is pretty rare actually, don't think I've ever had it. Funny that she went on to dj at the 100 Club though :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

|Prego...... great record, Italian pop it may be. Rare it is... cheesy it is not. You want cheese and uncollectable then listen to Lenny Gamble, Muriel Day or Lorraine Silver... actually strike that, I quite like Lorraine Silver. Right I'll get me gun

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

|Prego...... great record, Italian pop it may be. Rare it is... cheesy it is not. You want cheese and uncollectable then listen to Lenny Gamble, Muriel Day or Lorraine Silver... actually strike that, I quite like Lorraine Silver. Right I'll get me gun

Steve

Indeed - both Lorraine Silver records are fantastic!

Social source share

Depends where you come from. I am from Bedford but live in Stockport. My two Stockport born sons would say Last, where as I am told I would say larst. Ha ha.

Last ... Lincolnshire, Larst... Bedford / Norfolk / Somerset... Lorst (curly talking country) Stockport, Burnley etc / Lest N Ireland / still a bloody good record no matter what accent she sings in. In fact, she's what I would class as fairly posh having spoken to her. Unlike me, being a mix of Lincolnshire origins and Huddersfield for the last twenty years so ..... Loooaaarssstttt Summer Luv...' appen as much as si thi'

Steve

Edited by soulman
Social source share

Steve

Here, here young man..................

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!